Should Christians stop saying homosexuality is a sin if it increases suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
But congregations--particularly in the West--don't come anywhere near supplying all the material assistance that scripture tells us they are supposed to supply.

In your opinion, what should they be doing instead?

Pastors urge members to give, and give, and give...but congregations are not meeting needs the way Christ says they are supposed to. And helping parents educate their children is one of those needs.

I’ve attended three churches and all are located in affluent neighborhoods with a mixed demographic. How much do you expect people to shoulder in light of our cost of living and the expenses most have?

Christians in America are the most incredibly wealthy Christians the world has ever seen. And we aren't taking care of each any better than Christians in Vietnam or India.

I don’t believe the numbers are as large as most assume. Belief in God is not the same as a lifelong commitment to Him and His precepts.

I used to help an older woman with her mail on occasion. She had rheumatoid arthritis and required assistance returning the numerous things she received to the post office. It ran the gamut from coins and dollar bills to blankets from Christian organizations and many more beside seeking donations.

She candidly told me once that she couldn’t help everyone and that’s true. I don’t believe this is sustainable in the long run. Organizations must be able to generate income and receive donations. They can’t rely on the latter to fund everything.

Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was surprised to learn recently that Jesus talked about Hell more than any other person in the Bible, and that He described Hell in greater detail than He did Heaven.

One thing I have found interesting after studying the subject of hell/Gehenna, is that Jesus never said it was eternal conscious torment for all eternity. He actually said in Matthew 10:28 “ and do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell/Gehenna.”

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing I have found interesting after studying the subject of hell/Gehenna, is that Jesus never said it was eternal conscious torment for all eternity. He actually said in Matthew 10:28 “ and do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell/Gehenna.”
I agree with you doctrinally ... but don't tell anyone :)

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
All who compromise on this issue disqualify themselves as "Christian" leaders.

But those who pursue this issue in an arrogant, "holier than thou," manner also disqualify themselves as Christian leaders.

We cannot compromise the truth of the word of God, the Bible. And when the Bible defines something as sinful, we are being untrue to Christ if we gloss over it as if it were acceptable.

But when we meet people caught in the chains of slavery to sin, the key is not to tell them that their chains are unacceptable, but to give them the keys to open the locks on these chains.

If the stress of our message is, "that is wicked," we have missed the point. Our stress should be, "there is pardon available for your sin." But to pretend that ANY sinful behavior is acceptable, subverts this message.

Whenever we meet someone who pretends that ANY sin is acceptable, we MUST truthfully tell them what God says about it. This needs to include the punishment God has decreed for all sin. But we need to also tell them that a pardon is available.

Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe that Christian preaching per se is causing anyone to commit suicide. I would agree with the factor that homosexuals face overall social prejudice. That's not new and it didn't originate with Christianity. We tend to think of homosexuality as having been considered "normal and accepted" in the old Roman empire, for instance, but it really wasn't. It was viewed more like the way prostitution is viewed today.

I do believe that Christians in general are following an unscripturally wrong and failing strategy in dealing with homosexuality, however.

Only Christians are in danger of hell because of homosexuality or any other specific act of sin, such as unforgiveness, greed, and envy. Those warnings are for believers, not for unbelievers, because an unbeliever's specific actions are irrelevant.

Unbelievers are condemned because of unbelief, not because of any particular action. No unbeliever is going to hell because of homosexuality.

Homosexual unbelievers are not going to any deeper hell than straight unbelievers. To the extent that we erroneously think actions keep an unbeliever out of heaven, we are susceptible to arguments that being good gets a person into heaven--and then we start putting actions on a balance scale.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I do disagree though with saying a sin is going to cause a believer to go to hell. A true believer, one who is born of the spirit is no longer a sinner but a saint. Their identity has been changed, no longer in Adam but in Christ. They are righteous because They are in Christ, joined to him and have his righteousness. That’s why Paul says in 1 Cor 9-11 “ do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived neither fornicators nor adulterers nor homosexuals nor sodomites etc Will inherit the kingdom of God. And such WERE some of you. BUT you have been washed you were sanctified you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the spirit of our God”. He’s talking about identity. Unbelievers are the unrighteous. Believers are righteous, washed and sanctified. They may fall into any of these sins, but they are still forgiven and righteous and still have the same identity in Christ, secure kept by the power of God unto salvation.

• Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with you doctrinally ... but don't tell anyone :)
..... I think you just did! I’ve studied this subject a lot and it is hard for people that have never studied it or thought about it to consider. I never really considered it till I started really thinking about it. There are a lot more theologians who believe it then you might think too. I’ve seen my favorite teacher change his position on it as well!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I agree. But we must keep in mind that deliverance isn’t guaranteed. There are some challenges the Lord removes and others He does not. We should guard against suggestions that medicine or spiritual change will alter their condition. At best they may learn how to deal with it in light of their faith but the struggle may never go away.

I know you didn’t imply this but I’ve heard it before and hear it often when the topic of healing is raised. We are apt to cite the exceptions to prove our argument when in fact they’re the rarities instead.

I agree with you. I realised I was LGBT thirty years ago and I desperately tried to do everything I could to change my sexual orientation. Every attempt failed. After many years of struggling, I finally accepted myself as the way I was and now I am at peace. I have remained celibate because I feel that is the path that God has chosen for me. I don't personally think celibacy is for everyone, but it is a path I have found comfortable as I have never had a desire to enter into any relationships.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with a lot of what you said. I do disagree though with saying a sin is going to cause a believer to go to hell. A true believer, one who is born of the spirit is no longer a sinner but a saint. Their identity has been changed, no longer in Adam but in Christ. They are righteous because They are in Christ, joined to him and have his righteousness. That’s why Paul says in 1 Cor 9-11 “ do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived neither fornicators nor adulterers nor homosexuals nor sodomites etc Will inherit the kingdom of God. And such WERE some of you. BUT you have been washed you were sanctified you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the spirit of our God”. He’s talking about identity. Unbelievers are the unrighteous. Believers are righteous, washed and sanctified. They may fall into any of these sins, but they are still forgiven and righteous and still have the same identity in Christ, secure kept by the power of God unto salvation.

However, a few verses earlier Paul pointed out that some of those Corinthians were doing the very things he said nobody could go to heaven doing.

Now, I'd point out a feature of the Greek that when someone is characterized as a certain thing, they meant it was a permanent state, and normally the state of that person unto death.

So by "witness" (in the Greek: martyr) they meant a witness unto death. By "thief" they meant a thief unto death. By "fornicator," they meant a fornicator unto death.

When Paul said (to paraphrase), "Fornicators will not enter heaven," he basically meant a person who identifies as a fornicator, rationalizes his fornication, and and intends to continue as a fornicator until he dies. He doesn't just do fornication, he is a fornicator.

One of the reasons we can say "salvation is by faith" but can't do away with the concept that works will follow salvation is because the "No True Scotsman" fallacy will apply unless we as the Body of Christ include as our means of recognizing each other "You shall know them by their works."

It might be that a particular person is spiritually a Christian and is saved and we will see him in Heaven, but if he behaves like everything but a Christian as described in scripture as behaving, we should not acknowledge him as a member of the Body of Christ. Jesus said that (Matthew 18), Paul said that (1 Corinthians 9, 10). That's how we--in accomplishing the mission--avoid the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a few problems with the study you quoted. It relies on self report but when a study showed those who had benefited from change therapy it was dismissed because it relied on self report.

The panel appointed by APA to look into what they pejoratively call "conversion therapy" consisted of six people all of whom had been involved in gay activism.

There is an agenda that wants to persuade the community that "conversion" therapy is immoral and should be banned. Studies which begin with an agenda are subject to confirmation bias, selecting information that accords with their world view and disregarding that which does not.

I personally received counseling for sexual confusion from a compassionate Catholic priest when I was a teenager and was given the guidance I needed to mature into a happily married adult.

There are extreme examples of therapeutic approaches that are not practiced by Christian therapists which could do more harm than good, but dismissing all therapeutic intervention on that basis is to impose a standard not applied to all other types of therapy.
I understand and your intervention was one on one and filled will compassion. A conversion therapy camp is what I am talking about. These are dangerous and one by one states are outlawing them. Maybe read up on that.
Blessings

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you. I realised I was LGBT thirty years ago and I desperately tried to do everything I could to change my sexual orientation. Every attempt failed. After many years of struggling, I finally accepted myself as the way I was and now I am at peace. I have remained celibate because I feel that is the path that God has chosen for me. I don't personally think celibacy is for everyone, but it is a path I have found comfortable as I have never had a desire to enter into any relationships.

I was listening to Francis Chan speak about this the other day, and he rather echoed a former pastor of mine as well.

But he said this: "I have accepted God as my Lord. But what if God said, 'Chinese are not permitted to marry? I would hate that. I would hate that..but I have said that God is my Lord."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, a few verses earlier Paul pointed out that some of those Corinthians were doing the very things he said nobody could go to heaven doing.

Now, I'd point out a feature of the Greek that when someone is characterized as a certain thing, they meant it was a permanent state, and normally the state of that person unto death.

So by "witness" (in the Greek: martyr) they meant a witness unto death. By "thief" they meant a thief unto death. By "fornicator," they meant a fornicator unto death.

When Paul said (to paraphrase), "Fornicators will not enter heaven," he basically meant a person who identifies as a fornicator, rationalizes his fornication, and and intends to continue as a fornicator until he dies. He doesn't just do fornication, he is a fornicator.

One of the reasons we can say "salvation is by faith" but can't do away with the concept that works will follow salvation is because the "No True Scotsman" fallacy will apply unless we as the Body of Christ include as our means of recognizing each other "You shall know them by their works."

It might be that a particular person is spiritually a Christian and is saved and we will see him in Heaven, but if he behaves like everything but a Christian as described in scripture as behaving, we should not acknowledge him as a member of the Body of Christ. Jesus said that (Matthew 18), Paul said that (1 Corinthians 9, 10). That's how we--in accomplishing the mission--avoid the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

I do believe a changed life will follow a true conversion because We are His workmanship and it is a good workmanship. A life that continues on in those mentioned behaviors without any desire for change is definitely a questionable conversion. Yes Paul does say to withdraw from anyone named a brother Practicing such lifestyles that they may be brought to repentance, and because it is bad for the body of Christ and the name of Christ as well!

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree with you. I realised I was LGBT thirty years ago and I desperately tried to do everything I could to change my sexual orientation.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m happy to hear that you’ve found a place a peace. It’s priceless. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are free to interpret the document according to your own inclinations.

I’m interpreting it as it is clearly written and introduced... I don’t understand why that’s a problem for you.

To me, and others, it is very clear that it attributes the stigma causing suicide to the beliefs of religious groups who teach homosexuality is a sin. This is a view that is frequently expressed by those who wish to normalize same sex behaviour, although there are several other plausible explanations for the higher rate of suicide among LGBT individuals.

You can interpret it that way if you’d like, but that’s clearly not what it says. By claiming it says something it doesn’t as opposed to acknowledging it for what it is, you are easily dismissed as a “the sky is falling, they are out to get me” reactionary.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m happy to hear that you’ve found a place a peace. It’s priceless. :)
Thank you LaBella. I forgot to add that a large part of my journey of self-discovery and acceptance was through the care and support of fellow Christians. Some of them had varying views on LGBT issues, some very liberal and others more conservative, but the most important thing was that they looked beyond my sexuality and saw me as a person. This in turn has had a big impact on my spiritual life. Nowadays, when I go to church, I am surrounded by people from all walks of life, and I realise what we all have in common is that we are all made in God's image and share a common humanity. People essentially come to church because they want to be there and because they are seeking Christ. Whenever I sit in the pews and look around me, I don't see people who are divorced, gay or straight, who have had abortions, neither do I seek to label people based on their health problems. What I see is the family I love and want to support in any way I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The whole point of the athlete being fired is NOT on homosexuality. It was being attacked by the LGBT+ community & their rights trumped his rights to free speech & to preaching the gospel.

Here is what he posted on his instagram:

On April 10, Israel Folau posted on his Instagram account the following message: “Warning: Drunks, Homosexuals, Adulterers, Liars, Fornicators, Thieves, Atheists, Idolators: Hell Awaits You. Repent! Only Jesus Saves.” Next to this big, bold statement was the message: “Those that are living in Sin will end up in Hell unless you repent. Jesus Christ loves you and is giving you time to turn away from your sin and come to him.”

I notice that many modern Bible translations compromise on this issue & don't put what the text actually says there about both passive AND active participants in homosexuality but only reserve it in a footnote.

Here is one example from the Holman Christian Standard Bible:

Don’t you know that the unrighteous will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do NOT BE DECEIVED: No sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, or anyone practicing homosexuality*, no thieves, greedy people, drunkards, verbally abusive people, or swindlers will inherit God’s kingdom. And some of you used to be like this. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ & by the Spirit of our God.

*footnote: 6:9 Literally passive homosexual partners, active homosexual partners

The NIV puts it: men having sex with men & then puts as a footnote:

*The words men who have sex with men translate TWO Greek words that refer to the passive AND active participants in homosexual acts.

Back to the Aussie athlete: Do you see him isolating homosexuality? No. But only one group objected to his post enough to target him, attack him, malign him & their protest led to his getting fired. All because he dared to tell those sinning to repent & turn from their sins & practice righteousness in Christ.

Christ did the same & was maligned, ostracized, scandalized & was killed for it. Christ told people they were sinners & needed to repent or perish.

He said now they have no excuse for their sin--& they hated Him without a cause or reason--other than pointing out their sin & calling for repentance of that sin because He can set them FREE from it. THAT is the Good News of the Biblical gospel. You can be forgiven when you repent & believe in Christ to save you FROM your sins.

John 15:18-25 “If the world HATES YOU, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, THEREFORE THE WORLD HATES YOU.

20Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. But all these things they will do to you ON ACCOUNT OF MY NAME, because they do not know him who sent me.

22If I had not come & spoken to them, they would not have been GUILTY OF SIN, but now they have NO EXCUSE FOR THEIR SIN. 23Whoever HATES ME hates my Father also. 24If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin, but now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. But this happened so that the Word may be fulfilled which was WRITTEN in their law, 'They HATED me WITHOUT a cause.'

Matt 11:6 "And blessed is he who does NOT take offense (Gk 'scandalidzo', stumble, fall away, be scandalized) in Me."

Matt 13:57,58 And they were deeply 'OFFENDED' in Him & refused to believe in Him. Then Jesus told them, “A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown & among his own family.” And He did not do many miracles there, because of their unbelief.

John 6:60ff On hearing it, many of His disciples said, “This is a difficult teaching. Who can accept it?” Aware that His disciples were grumbling about this teaching, Jesus asked them, "Does this 'OFFEND' you? The Spirit gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.

However, there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray Him.) Then Jesus said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless the Father has granted it to him. From that time on, many of His disciples TURNED BACK & no longer walked with Him.

Matt 15:6-14 Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah prophesied correctly about you: ‘These people honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. They worship Me in vain; they teach as doctrine the precepts of men.’

10Jesus called the crowd to Him & said, “Listen & understand. A man is not defiled by what enters his mouth, but by what comes out of it.” Then the disciples came to Him & said, “Are You aware that the Pharisees were 'OFFENDED' when they heard this?”

13But Jesus replied, “Every plant that My Heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by its roots. Disregard them! They are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.”

Luke 4:16-30 Then Jesus came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. As was His CUSTOM, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath. And when He stood up to read, the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. Unrolling it, He found the place where it was written:

18“The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives & recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

20Then He rolled up the scroll, returned it to the attendant & sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fixed on Him & He began by saying, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” All spoke well of Him & marveled at the gracious words that came from His lips. “Isn’t this the son of Joseph?” they asked.

23Jesus said to them, “Surely you will quote this proverb to Me: ‘Physician, heal yourself! Do here in Your hometown what we have heard that You did in Capernaum.’” Then He added, “Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in his hometown.

25But I tell you truthfully that there were many widows in Israel in the time of Elijah, when the sky was shut for 3 1/2 years & great famine swept over all the land. Yet Elijah was not SENT to any of them, but to the widow of Zarephath in Sidon. And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet. Yet not one of them was cleansed—only Naaman the Syrian.”

28On hearing this, all the people in the synagogue were ENRAGED. They got up, drove Him out of the town & led Him to the brow of the hill on which the town was built, in order to throw Him over the cliff. But Jesus passed through the crowd & went on His way.

Scandalized by God

"I hear these words about taking offense at Jesus & I don’t think they’re just meant for John the Baptist. I hear Christ asking each of us if we are offended, scandalized or tripped up by who He is. What do we find difficult about this Messiah we follow? Where do we find ourselves stumbling? Is it when Christ speaks words of judgment in the Gospels? Is it when Christ calls us turn the other cheek or welcome outcasts? Is it when we hear Christ’s call to pray for our enemies? Or do we find ourselves tripping up over really believing that the good news is real? And that it’s for each of us?" Annabelle, Lutheran minister

John the Baptist lost his head because of hatred of an adulterous woman being told she was sinning. He dared to tell Herod that he was committing adultery by divorcing his wife & marrying his brother's wife.

It looks as though this prominent athlete was being watched for an opportunity to punish him for being a Christian; for being a defender of the classic, conservative Christian faith.

He is loosely quoting I Cor 6:9-11 which includes homosexuality with adultery & fornication & murder & LYING, etc. All these are abominations to God. He did not isolate homosexuality at all! But that is the agenda of the LGBT_. If you disagree you will be attacked, even physically. (examples of this have occurred in gay parades & the police do nothing to arrest the assaulters, showing a double standard & hypocrisy) There is no tolerance with them. There wasn't in Sodom & Gomorrah either.

This is the propaganda that the LGBT+ is pushing because those who follow Christ & preach repentance & belief in the gospel are the only ones standing up for righteousness & the truth. We are the ones being scandalized & hated by them for the sake of Christ because we preach repentance & the good news of the gospel that people can be set free from their sinful lifestyles & live righteously in Christ.

And Scripture says 'such WERE some of you.' Those who became followers of Christ repented & bore fruit in keeping with their repentance & no longer were those in that list. If a thief before, they stopped stealing. If as the woman caught in adultery (because there were not 2 or three witnesses per the Law), Jesus didn't condemn her based on the Law BUT--He said go & sin no more. Stop committing adultery. Mercy triumphs over judgment but mercy does not compromise with sin--stop doing it.

Ephesians 5:3 But sexual immorality & all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is appropriate for saints (separated out holy ones).

Here again, it demonstrates in Scripture that ANY sexual immorality or impurity or covetousness must not even be named or hinted at or even mentioned once--among you. Why? Because we are called out of the world to be holy people who treat God & His commandments as holy!

And you will notice that the resolution does not target JUST the sexual sin of homosexuality. It is a complete censor & telling Christians to stop preaching the truth of Scripture!

"The resolution, ACR-99, CIVIL RIGHTS: Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people, urges counselors, pastors, churches, educators & others to AVOID SUPPORTING THE HISTORIC CHRISTIAN VIEW OF SEXUAL ETHICS. The measure says such support can result in "disproportionately high" rates of suicide, attempted suicide & depression among persons who identify as LGBT."

As the video showed, there is no tie-in to higher suicide rates because the truth of Scripture is spoken. It isn't there. The suicide rates are just as high when it isn't spoken. So what is the real issue here?

Kel Richards is an author, journalist, radio personality and lay canon at St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney. He is the author of The Aussie Bible. He brings out the real issues & his article is a good one to read.

NoCookies | The Australian

This is central to Australia’s character as a nation & raises 3 questions:
Why should there be penalties for defending classical Christianity?
Why do the rights of one group trump all other rights?
What is the actual content of the view he is defending?

Which brings us to the second question: why should the rights of one group trump all other rights? In this case it appears that the right of homosexuals not to be offended trumps the right of Christians to be as Christian as Jesus intended. It is especially interesting to note that Folau included eight groups in his post — none of the others has complained.

Surely the issue is that none of those seven other groups is demanding approval from everyone. On the whole, drunks, adulterers and the rest don’t care whether you approve or disapprove of them.

The homosexual community, however, appears not to be willing to accept disapproval. They may say all they want is tolerance. But that’s looking increasingly like a dishonest claim. They won’t, it seems, settle for anything short of complete approval. In other words, zero tolerance.

All that being said, it is speaking the truth in love that will make the difference in all people repenting of whatever sins they are committing & following Christ in holiness of body & spirit.

I have had homeless people live with me, seeking to meet both their physical & spiritual needs. That is what Christ taught us to do & was some of the criterion between the sheep & the goats.

This included a homosexual. I helped meet their immediate needs, get them back on their feet & preached the gospel to them.

This homosexual person made a decision to chose not to accept the truth of the gospel & went to live with another homosexual, claiming to be a Christian.

Choices are made, eternal destinies are in the balance. Will we choose to honor Christ & what is the truth taught in Scripture? Are we as Christians willing to be scandalized by the world & hated because we speak the truth in love?

Christians are to love our neighbor as ourselves but when we speak the truth in love, seeking to see people saved & live holy lives in Christ, we are the ones HATED for Christ's sake.

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership can righteousness have with wickedness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ & Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?

16What agreement can exist between the temple of God & idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will dwell in them & walk among them & I will be their God & they will be My people.”

17“Therefore COME OUT from among them & be SEPARATE, says the Lord. Touch not the unclean & I will receive you.” And: “I will be a Father to you & you will be My sons & daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

THEREFORE, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body AND spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

This is the true 'coming out' & the holy separation we have as Christians, being called out of the world to be righteous & holy, turning away from our former sin.

Guilt for going contrary to God's divine creation of us as a person, as God designed us--& guilt for sinning IS REAL. And believing the lies contrary to God's truth brings discord.

To commit adultery was just 70-80 years ago (one generation only!) a shameful thing & not condoned. Look what now is the attitude.

It's OK to do so because 'everyone does it' INCLUDING Christians. We have COMPROMISED our calling in Christ & as a result, lost our witness to the world. (Christian sexual scandals)

It's no big thing. The same is true for fornication. Now the same is being sought for sexual immorality of the homosexual kind. This is the last bastion of sexual immorality. Once that is done away with, the return of Christ is soon to happen & the judgment of the Messiah will be devastating--for all those sinning & mocking & ridiculing the living Creator God & His righteous commandments & designs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not raising the question of whether homosexual activities are sinful. I am addressing the situation of whether saying so publicly causes LGBT people to self harm.

The catalyst for this question is the recent Californian Assembly Concurrent Resolution (ACR) 99
"The resolution, ACR-99, Civil Rights: Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people, urges counselors, pastors, churches, educators, and others to avoid supporting the historic Christian view of sexual ethics. The measure says such support can result in "disproportionately high" rates of suicide, attempted suicide, and depression among persons who identify as LGBT."
The Christian Post

Also relevant is this video which was made in the context of a sports star here in Australia quoting 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 on his Instagram account and being fired.

I highly doubt anyone killed their self because someone said homosexuality is a sin. Most likely the root of the cause is much deeper. While Christians are tasked with helping others recognize sin we are more focused on conveying the forgiving nature of Christ to all of us who are undoubtedly sinners. Since Christians teach that everyone is a sinner I don’t see that telling someone who is homosexual they are a sinner is any different or singling them out in any way. I would suspect they probably faced much ridicule from many people in their life and probably had their own self convictions about their actions not being accepted by the majority of society.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The 2nd & 3rd largest denominations here in Australia (Anglican & Uniting Church) do not teach homosexuality is a sin
That’s wonderful news! I did err by saying “Christians.” I should have said conservative Christians. I know many Christians as well who do not believe homosexuality is a sin.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think that is?
I think that the focus on homosexuality comes from either bigotry or a fear of people who are different. Others here have pointed out that people like to ficus on sins that they themselves don’t have to struggle with.

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

After Staff Review
This Thread is now
Permanently Closed

As this kind of discussion can easily veer into a RV of
Statement of Purpose - Christian Philosophy & Ethics Statement of Purpose
Homosexuality, Same-Sex Marriage, Bisexuality and Transgenderism/Transexualism:

Discussion of these topics must comply with the sitewide rule barring the promotion of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, and transgenderism/transexualism. Discussion and debate should only be directed toward political, legal, historical and civil rights issues, and should not be directed toward the morality of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality or transgenderism/transexualism.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.