Should Christians Recognize the New Year?

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Words can be telling to what a person believes. Do you have a problem in celebrating Christmas? If not, then my words were not untrue to your statement about how knowing the date of Christ is unimportant. For those who say Christ is born on Dec. 25th and or who celebrate Christmas on that day in honor of his birth do not care about when he was really born and they just mindlessly celebrate Christmas despite any real biblical backing to do so. Do you celebrate Christmas? If not, then I misjudged you, and I deeply apologize.
I do celebrate Christmas. It is January 6. I don't know what you're trying to say here. The exact date of Christ's birth is not known. I can't speak for Dec. 25 but January 6 is the date ascribed by the Church based on their research and best estimation. However, since it can't be known exactly what the date of His birth is, we understand that it is not of great importance or else God would have made it clear to us (as He made Passover or Purim clear to the Jews).

Again, words are very telling to what a person believes. You didn't have to say you ate the chocolate cake if there is evidence of chocolate cake crumbs on your T-shirt.
I don't know what your point here is. I never talked about chocolate cake.

Again, Jesus is not revealed in the OT like in the New Testament, it doesn't mean the lack of this information doesn't mean He is any less important. So again. Your argument fails. So around and around we go with this argument. The ball is back in your court. It's like Rick saying to Bob..... "Hey, I will use my sword to attack you...." But Bob says to Rick, "Yeah, but I put up a force field." But Rick says: "Yeah, but my sword can cut through force fields." But Bob says, "But this force field is impenetrable to swords." Rick says: "But this sword can penetrate force fields." Bob says: "But this force field says otherwise, etc., etc."
You're really off course here, I don't play children's games with force fields and lasers and light-sabers. I have no idea why you've gone off course like this.

We are living in the last days where people do not care about the things of God. So it would not surprise me that nobody cares to know.
It's not a matter of people caring to know or not. It's a matter of not knowing because we are not told in His Word. When we are not told something in His Word it means one of two things:
1. That thing we are not told is important but God isn't telling us for some illogical reason like He made a mistake and forgot to tell us or He is playing games with us,
OR
2. That thing we are not told is not important for us to need to know so God doesn't tell us so that we don't get bogged down with a trivial detail that doesn't matter.

It's important to know THAT Christ was born and "when" He was born in a general sense but the exact date is not important or else God would have told us. He didn't. You are unable to show that He did. You have only offered your guesses and even then no exact date.

So the tabernacle was not raised up on the 1st day of the 1st month and Jesus did not tabernacle among us? Okay. If you say so. But I trust my Bible and not you.
When did I say that? Again, you are putting words into my mouth.

I suppose it's very easy to argue with someone when you fabricate something you want them to say so that you can then discredit it. Of course, as easy as that is, it's disingenuous and everyone can see how disingenuous and irrational it is.

Rather than put words in my mouth to argue against why not address what I'm actually saying?

*Sigh* Adding to God's Word would be physically adding new words to the Bible. It's not expounding upon what the text already says.
Adding to God's Word can be done by physically adding words to the Bible or by making claims that you attribute to the Bible even though they're not there. You are doing the latter. You're presenting your own speculation and guess-work and then claiming it's Biblical when it's not.

I believe the miraculous gifts have ceased including prophecy, revelations, visions, or new holy words, etc. The Bible is sufficient alone. Nowhere did I say we should add new words to the Bible. Expounding upon the text in what it ALREADY says is not adding to God's Word. As for numerology: Well, I am not into numerology, either. Numerology is ruling your life by numbers and or trying to foretell the future by numbers, etc.

Knowing about the numbers in the Bible and their meaning is not the same thing. They primarily glorify God's Word and show that His Word is divine in origin.
Expounding on what the Bible says is not making a claim that isn't backed Biblically through numerology and other speculations as you're doing.

You say you are against numerology but you are saying out of the other side of your mouth that numbers are important and have meanings which are sometimes hidden. Hidden is "occult" - that's precisely what "occult" means. Well, that's what numerology is - the study of the occult meaning of numbers.

If a number has a meaning that is open then that's different, but you are trying to figure out the hidden meaning of numbers and then using that as the basis for your search for a sign (like the wicked generation does) of the exact date of Christ's birth (wh

Actually, the Bible tells you to count a number as a part of wisdom.

"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." (Revelation 13:18).

Do you disagree with this verse in the Bible above?
In that verse the meaning of a number is being openly given. It is not hidden or occult. I think you feel that there is no difference between occult and what is openly given. You seek the occult.

I never said or implied that I was seeking after a sign.

I did not create a Bible that has new words added to the Bible. Men have already done that and they lost their voices as a result.

Bible Correctors lose Voice
Bible Corrector Loses Voice on Ankerberg Show
LOL, people don't lose their voices for that sin or any other. Some people just lose their voices. This is more of the magickal mystical realm you are trying to believe in but it's not Christian or Biblical at all.

As for a sign, you are clearly seeking signs and occult meanings. You are speculating and guessing to determine a precise date because one has not been given to you. That is in the line of witchcraft, divination, fortune-telling - overall it is study of occult. You want to "figure" the "meaning" that is hidden from plain sight. That's exactly what the entire occult religions are about. Freemasonry, witchcraft, kabbalah, etc. are all about exactly that.

You also wish me luck. I do not believe in luck or fortune as men believe. I believe God blesses and He is sovereign. God works all things together for good to those who love God.
It's a figure of speech, an idiom. You may want to investigate courses that explain that part of grammar.

As for your numerology false claim:
Again, I am strongly against numerology. So the claim is a false accusation. I believe the Bible has numbers in them and that they have ascribed meanings to them based on the context. There is a repeat pattern of meaning every time that number appears in the Bible. This is not to divine the future or to rule your life by such things. The numbers are there to primarily show that the Bible is divine in origin.

As for other witchcraft that you think I feel is necessary:

Well, I believe the Bible condemns witchcraft, and so I do not believe you are judging me correctly.

May the Lord God bless you.
I think the issue is that you really believe you're against numerology but you don't know what it actually is. By trying to find patterns and hidden messages and meanings and hidden numbers and dates you are practicing numerology. All that hidden stuff is occult. The occult is the basis of religions like witchcraft, kabbalah, freemasonry, mormonism, etc.

There are numbers in the Bible which also have a defined significance within the Bible. Those that are open like that are intended by God for us to understand in the context of the symbol or significance He is instructing us in. But looking for patterns and codes and things that are hidden to find the "secret message" or things like the "hidden date of Christ's birth" is simply the practice of numerology.

Here is an occultist who is doing what you're doing - you may like this video but I'm presenting it as an example of how occultism and numerology are what are used for determining Christ's date of birth. There are no actual Christian attempts to do so.

Here is the agenda for that video - notice that they are interested in and seeking the same hidden (occult) info that you are seeking:
- RELIGION: Is the Bible telling you the truth? - When could Jesus and other Biblical figures actually have been born? Wrong Holy Days? - Ancient Star Alignments and Star Constellations. - Alien Gods and Alien Civilisations. - The Ancients: Egyptians, Greeks, Sumerians, Mayans..... - The Calendar System. Looking for codes. - Numerology and Numbers Numbers Numbers.... - Climate Change Hoax and Global Warming Political-Media scare. - Flat Earth Theory vs. Hollow Earth Theory. - Parallel Universes. - Immanuel Velikovsky´s work. Inspiration and Flaws. - "The X-Files" & "Clash Of The Titans" & "Knowing". Truth in mythology entertainment. - Sin, Gods Wrath and Lust. - ARCHONS - Demiurge, Demons, Jinns! Evil soul-eating entities? - The Death Trap "fake white light" vs. Heaven. - Astronomy & Astrology.

Good luck trying to convince people that numerology and occultism are somehow pleasing to God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do celebrate Christmas. It is January 6. I don't know what you're trying to say here. The exact date of Christ's birth is not known. I can't speak for Dec. 25 but January 6 is the date ascribed by the Church based on their research and best estimation. However, since it can't be known exactly what the date of His birth is, we understand that it is not of great importance or else God would have made it clear to us (as He made Passover or Purim clear to the Jews).

Well, this year, I believe it is highly probable that His birth coincidentally will take place on April 6th (Nisan 1).
So I guess we will celebrate it on the same day then this year.
But why get all in a hissy fit if you believe in church tradition of April 6th as the time you celebrate? Is it possible that your church has added to Scripture this date? Why does your church get a free pass and yet I don't?

You said:
It's not a matter of people caring to know or not. It's a matter of not knowing because we are not told in His Word. When we are not told something in His Word it means one of two things:
1. That thing we are not told is important but God isn't telling us for some illogical reason like He made a mistake and forgot to tell us or He is playing games with us,
OR
2. That thing we are not told is not important for us to need to know so God doesn't tell us so that we don't get bogged down with a trivial detail that doesn't matter.

Yet, what about church traditions that are not in His Word?
Where does this rule then apply?

You said:
It's important to know THAT Christ was born and "when" He was born in a general sense but the exact date is not important or else God would have told us. He didn't. You are unable to show that He did. You have only offered your guesses and even then no exact date.

Maybe if you keep telling yourself this it will make it more true?
Again, we can make reasonable inferences of what Scripture says and by knowing the Lord.

You said:

So you believe the tabernacle was raised up on the 1st day of the month and that Jesus tabernacled among us?

You said:
I suppose it's very easy to argue with someone when you fabricate something you want them to say so that you can then discredit it. Of course, as easy as that is, it's disingenuous and everyone can see how disingenuous and irrational it is.

Rather than put words in my mouth to argue against why not address what I'm actually saying?

A question is not the same thing as an accusation. You actually accused me of things I did not believe and didn't even ask me that I believe such things.

You said:
Adding to God's Word can be done by physically adding words to the Bible or by making claims that you attribute to the Bible even though they're not there. You are doing the latter. You're presenting your own speculation and guess-work and then claiming it's Biblical when it's not.

Your just saying so does not make it so. You need to prove your case that this is so. I also did not claim it as Scriptural fact, either. I believe the birth of Christ on Nisan 1 is the most likely time he was born based upon the clues we are given in Scripture.

Expounding on what the Bible says is not making a claim that isn't backed Biblically through numerology and other speculations as you're doing.

You say you are against numerology but you are saying out of the other side of your mouth that numbers are important and have meanings which are sometimes hidden. Hidden is "occult" - that's precisely what "occult" means. Well, that's what numerology is - the study of the occult meaning of numbers.

If a number has a meaning that is open then that's different, but you are trying to figure out the hidden meaning of numbers and then using that as the basis for your search for a sign (like the wicked generation does) of the exact date of Christ's birth (wh

In that verse the meaning of a number is being openly given. It is not hidden or occult. I think you feel that there is no difference between occult and what is openly given. You seek the occult.

Again, you do not know what true Numerology is. I already told you the difference. So I suppose all the meanings behind numbers in the Bible are just crazy insane coincidences that we should ignore? Do you honestly think it was a coincidence that Noah was in a trial in the Ark for 40 days and 40 nights and yet Jesus was in a trial of fasting for 40 days and 40 nights? What about the 7th day? Did not God rest on the 7th day? Is not 7 associated with rest? What about Revelation 13:18? Did you just ignore it?

As for a sign:

Again, have no idea what you are talking about. I don't look for a sign from God when I have learned of a numbers study from a Pastor. They just show me how awesome God's Word is in it being divine and I am in awe of God. I am not looking to foretell the future or invest in the stock market, or look for something from God based on the Bible's numbers.

So again, you falsely accuse me of something that is not true.

You said:
LOL, people don't lose their voices for that sin or any other. Some people just lose their voices. This is more of the magickal mystical realm you are trying to believe in but it's not Christian or Biblical at all.

Nope. They lost their voices because they altered God's Word. You may be able to ignore the coincidences one or two times, but the repeated pattern of evidences says otherwise and speaks against your own lack of knowledge in this area. It has nothing to do with mysticism.

You said:
As for a sign, you are clearly seeking signs and occult meanings.

Nope. That is your false accusation.

You are speculating and guessing to determine a precise date because one has not been given to you.

Nope. I am not using numbers to divine the future. Speculating on Christ's birth is not something that will change my life on a spiritual level. But I do find truth to be important, so based on the Scriptures, the most reasonable conclusion is Nisan 1 (But I am not claiming it as 100% biblical fact). What about your own church? You do not believe they are adding to Scripture do you? Are they also adding to Scripture by claiming a date?

You said:
That is in the line of witchcraft, divination, fortune-telling - overall it is study of occult. You want to "figure" the "meaning" that is hidden from plain sight. That's exactly what the entire occult religions are about. Freemasonry, witchcraft, kabbalah, etc. are all about exactly that.

Nope. I do not agree with those religions or dark arts. Jesus spoke in parables that had hidden meanings to them. Surely this does mean Jesus was employing occult tactics with unbelievers. Yet, you are saying that nothing can be hidden in regards to our teaching in God's Word. In fact, in my many years of study of God's Word, there are many things in the Bible that are not so openly apparent. We have to study to show ourselves approved unto God. The Holy Spirit teaches true and faithful believers.

You said:
It's a figure of speech, an idiom. You may want to investigate courses that explain that part of grammar.

A figure of speech that is based on pagan origins and is unbiblical.
Wishing a person luck is anti-Bible.

I think the issue is that you really believe you're against numerology but you don't know what it actually is.

Actually, you don't have a clue about Biblical Numerics vs. Occult Numerology because you don't know the actual difference. Try watching some Mike Hoggard and judge a Biblical study on numbers for yourself. He presents you with facts concerning the Bible. It is up to you decide what you want to do with those facts. If not, you can just continue to judge something you don't truly know.

By trying to find patterns and hidden messages and meanings and hidden numbers and dates you are practicing numerology. All that hidden stuff is occult. The occult is the basis of religions like witchcraft, kabbalah, freemasonry, mormonism, etc.

But why would God try and deceive us within His Word to show that each number does have an ascribed meaning to it? It doesn't make any sense. Then again, you have no idea what I am talking about. So you attack that which you do not know.

You said:
There are numbers in the Bible which also have a defined significance within the Bible. Those that are open like that are intended by God for us to understand in the context of the symbol or significance He is instructing us in.

No. He is telling us to count a number to gain wisdom. This means you can continue to do so for other numbers. The Bible is not isolated to just one verse. The Bible breathes as a whole. If a truth is expressed at one point in the Bible, it is expressed elsewhere. Also, without John telling us the meaning on the number in Revelation 13:18, we would never know. It was hidden to us before. Also, if John was telling us to count the number in Revelation 13:18 and it was wrong for us to count other numbers, then surely he would tell us not to count numbers. In fact, in Ecclesiastes 7 (Which the 666th chapter of the Bible and coincidentally the number in Revelation 13:8), the preacher is seeking out wisdom (Ecclesiastes 7:25) and he counts one by one to find out the account (Ecclesiastes 7:27). Revelation 13:18 also talks about counting as a part of wisdom. What are the odds of this?

We got:

1. Wisdom in both Ecclesiastes 7 and Revelation 13 (Check).
2. Counting in both Ecclesiastes 7 and Revelation 13 (Check).
3. The number 666 is associated with Ecclesiastes 7 and Revelation 13 (Check).

You said:
But looking for patterns and codes and things that are hidden to find the "secret message" or things like the "hidden date of Christ's birth" is simply the practice of numerology.

Nowhere did I use Biblical numerics to find the date of Christ's birth. Nor did Jonathan who did the study.

You said:
Here is an occultist who is doing what you're doing - you may like this video but I'm presenting it as an example of how occultism and numerology are what are used for determining Christ's date of birth. There are no actual Christian attempts to do so.

Good luck trying to convince people that numerology and occultism are somehow pleasing to God.

Again, I did not use numbers to figure out Christ's birth. It was not my own study. The study was done by another and they did not based it off of Bible numbers alone. So you are accusing me falsely. I am also not interested in watching videos by those in the occult. I find such things to be highly evil and will not watch them. It grieves my soul to even see people do such things. The numbers in the Bible are not there by random accident. God placed numbers in the Bible for a reason. You either choose to be edify others with them by what they say (and not in what I say), but what the Bible says about them, or you can choose to ignore them and attack others falsely in regards to their study of them. But nowhere am I claiming that it is by Bible numbers alone that has helped me to determine Christ's birth. There are many biblical bread crumbs that Nisan 1 is the day he was born.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I don't know what your point here is. I never talked about chocolate cake.

You're really off course here, I don't play children's games with force fields and lasers and light-sabers. I have no idea why you've gone off course like this.

OR

As for a sign, you are clearly seeking signs and occult meanings. You are speculating and guessing to determine a precise date because one has not been given to you. That is in the line of witchcraft, divination, fortune-telling - overall it is study of occult. You want to "figure" the "meaning" that is hidden from plain sight. That's exactly what the entire occult religions are about. Freemasonry, witchcraft, kabbalah, etc. are all about exactly that.

I think the issue is that you really believe you're against numerology but you don't know what it actually is. By trying to find patterns and hidden messages and meanings and hidden numbers and dates you are practicing numerology. All that hidden stuff is occult. The occult is the basis of religions like witchcraft, kabbalah, freemasonry, mormonism, etc.

There are numbers in the Bible which also have a defined significance within the Bible. Those that are open like that are intended by God for us to understand in the context of the symbol or significance He is instructing us in. But looking for patterns and codes and things that are hidden to find the "secret message" or things like the "hidden date of Christ's birth" is simply the practice of numerology.

Here is the agenda for that video - notice that they are interested in and seeking the same hidden (occult) info that you are seeking:
- RELIGION: Is the Bible telling you the truth? - When could Jesus and other Biblical figures actually have been born? Wrong Holy Days? - Ancient Star Alignments and Star Constellations. - Alien Gods and Alien Civilisations. - The Ancients: Egyptians, Greeks, Sumerians, Mayans..... - The Calendar System. Looking for codes. - Numerology and Numbers Numbers Numbers.... - Climate Change Hoax and Global Warming Political-Media scare. - Flat Earth Theory vs. Hollow Earth Theory. - Parallel Universes. - Immanuel Velikovsky´s work. Inspiration and Flaws. - "The X-Files" & "Clash Of The Titans" & "Knowing". Truth in mythology entertainment. - Sin, Gods Wrath and Lust. - ARCHONS - Demiurge, Demons, Jinns! Evil soul-eating entities? - The Death Trap "fake white light" vs. Heaven. - Astronomy & Astrology.

Proverbs 25:2 says, "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but the glory of kings is to search out a thing."

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Year:
  • Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world; So it makes sense that Jesus would be born when lambs are normally born. Unlike other animals, lambs were generally born during one time out of the year called the "Lambing Season" (Which is March/April or Hebrew calendar month of Nisan).

I'm not sure where you found this but this is completely false. The above information is only true of UK/British breeding practises.
In Australia and New Zealand lambs are born in the middle of winter in August.

In Israel and that entire region the species of sheep are the Awassi sheep, the ones spoken of in scripture. These can be born anytime from Autumn through the winter to early spring:
Awassi sheep reproduction and milk production: review. - PubMed - NCBI

The reason for a date of Dec 25 or Jan 6 for the Nativity was the belief that great men were concieved and died on the same day. Thus the Angel's visitation to Mary to first announce his birth and the crucifixion took place roughly on the same month and day . Hence a lamb was chosen on the 10 of Nissan and kept safe (Christ kept in a womb) and was then slaughtered a few days later on the 14th. Fast forward 9 months to our modern calendars and you get late Dec early january.
Exodus 12:2-10 was seen as a foreshadowing of this conception/death theme.(Ephraim the Syrian mentions this in 360 AD in his Nativity hymns) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure where you found this but this is completely false. The above information is only true of UK/British breeding practises.
In Australia and New Zealand lambs are born in the middle of winter in August.

In Israel and that entire region the species of sheep are the Awassi sheep, the ones spoken of in scripture. These can be born anytime from Autumn through the winter to early spring:
Awassi sheep reproduction and milk production: review. - PubMed - NCBI

The reason for a date of Dec 25 or Jan 6 for the Nativity was the belief that great men were concieved and died on the same day. Thus the Angel's visitation to Mary to first announce his birth and the crucifixion took place roughly on the same month and day . Hence a lamb was chosen on the 10 of Nissan and kept safe (Christ kept in a womb) and was then slaughtered a few days later on the 14th. Fast forward 9 months to our modern calendars and you get late Dec early january.
Exodus 12:2-10 was seen as a foreshadowing of this conception/death theme.(Ephraim the Syrian mentions this in 360 AD in his Nativity hymns) .

No. The same generations of lambs are not the same ones from the lambs during the time of Jesus.

Exodus 12:3 States that the Passover lamb must be one year old. This means Jesus was one year old at the time of Passover, so He must have been born the year before. For He was the Passover Lamb.

The Holy days of Israel. The central events of Jesus while on this earth all took place on Hebrew Holy days. Palm Sunday is the first Hebrew holiday given to Israel. Exodus 12:3 Says to take the lamb to your house on the tenth of Nisan and keep it for four days until the 14th (Passover) when the lamb is sacrificed. When the people are taking the lamb to their house, God is taking His Lamb to His house.

Source:
When was Jesus really born? Was it on Christmas? How do we know?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jason, Lambing season in Palestine and the Levant is usually from late Autumn through January. The Awassi sheep are the only indigenous sheep in Israel and surrounding regions. It did not evolve into something else since then.
Only the modern day Israelis no longer use a pure breed Awassi sheep. They have crossbred it in the last few decades.
Here is an article from 1910 on Palestinian sheep. The news article makes clear that lambing starts in the beginning of January in Palestine:
Sausalito News 30 July 1910 — California Digital Newspaper Collection

Here is a site with articles on the foot and mouth disease that occured a few years ago. It makes clear lambing season in Palestine BEGINS in late Nov to early December: Palestinian Authority (West Bank) ovine/caprine, serotype O, topotype EA-3 | Reference Laboratory for Foot-and-Mouth Disease

Here is an article excerpt from a Hebrew University agriculture professor (the bedouins he mentions raise their sheep same way as was done 2000 years ago):
..In Awassi flocks of the Bedouin and fellahin, the breeding season is to a large extent determined by the condition of the grazing. The ewes come into heat only when the spring and summer grazing has restored the weight lost during the preceding period of drought and brought them back to a fair condition. The mating season lasts approximately from June to September, so that the lambs are born when there is enough pasture for the ewes in milk and for the young lamb...Awassi sheep

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The first was fulfilled by St. John the Baptist, as Scripture explicitly teaches. Zephaniah 3 is about God's judgment and salvation, which is absolutely in Christ who is Himself YHVH in our midst. Beyond the rivers of Cush (Ethiopia) the praises of God ring out among His people.

-CryptoLutheran

Right and Yochanan the Immerser's message was to repent (turn back to Torah) for the Kingdom of Yah is at hand. This is because they had turned to their own teachings, traditions, and praxes, and away from His Way. Then Messiah came and corrected their adding to Torah. They did this by learning the ways of those nations they were scattered into and mixing it with His Word,e.g., the Babylonian Talmud. Sound familiar to you?

Zephania 3:9

“Then I will purify the lips of the peoples,
that all of them may call on the name of YHWH
and serve him shoulder to shoulder."

This means all of us will be in accord and serve Him without all the frilly traditions and vain teachings that He does not appreciate.

So if His Way is being restored now and will be fully restored in the near future...why all the extras?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Right and Yochanan the Immerser's message was to repent (turn back to Torah) for the Kingdom of Yah is at hand. This is because they had turned to their own teachings, traditions, and praxes, and away from His Way. Then Messiah came and corrected their adding to Torah. They did this by learning the ways of those nations they were scattered into and mixing it with His Word,e.g., the Babylonian Talmud. Sound familiar to you?

Zephania 3:9

“Then I will purify the lips of the peoples,
that all of them may call on the name of YHWH
and serve him shoulder to shoulder."

This means all of us will be in accord and serve Him without all the frilly traditions and vain teachings that He does not appreciate.

So if His Way is being restored now and will be fully restored in the near future...why all the extras?

Should Jews use the Jerusalem Talmud instead?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Should Jews use the Jerusalem Talmud instead?

-CryptoLutheran

What I was saying was that the Pharisees (primarily) and Rabbinic Judaism drew from extra-Scriptural sources and religion with their idea of Oral Tradition, Mishnah, etc... It was on this point that Messiah corrected many of their misinterpretations and malpractices of Torah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What I was saying was that the Pharisees (primarily) and Rabbinic Judaism drew from extra-Scriptural sources and religion with their idea of Oral Tradition, Mishnah, etc... It was on this point that Messiah corrected many of their misinterpretations and malpractices of Torah.

Kinda. Jesus' criticism of the religious leaders wasn't their traditions themselves, but with using them to circumvent the chief matters of the Law. Remember He said to do that the rabbis taught, but as they do for they don't practice what they preach. We know from the Gospel that the Lord actively participated in Jewish religious life--attending synagogue, observing Hannukah, etc. Christ's condemnation wasn't on doing things not explicitly written in the Torah, but the misuse of religion against the least of these. It was religious hypocrisy that received the Lord's ire. Misunderstanding that is going to misunderstand the ethical core of Christianity--the love of the other as exemplified in the person of Christ.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Kinda. Jesus' criticism of the religious leaders wasn't their traditions themselves, but with using them to circumvent the chief matters of the Law. Remember He said to do that the rabbis taught, but as they do for they don't practice what they preach. We know from the Gospel that the Lord actively participated in Jewish religious life--attending synagogue, observing Hannukah, etc. Christ's condemnation wasn't on doing things not explicitly written in the Torah, but the misuse of religion against the least of these. It was religious hypocrisy that received the Lord's ire. Misunderstanding that is going to misunderstand the ethical core of Christianity--the love of the other as exemplified in the person of Christ.

Yeah, that's why I typed:

"It was on this point that Messiah corrected many of their misinterpretations and malpractices of Torah."

I understand that He was a Jew of His time...He kept Shabbat and observed the High Holy Days (Moedim). These aren't traditions of men, rather they are from the Creator. That is why I observe them--I am grafted into the Commonwealth of Yisharal. As to synagogue and Hannukah, I agree, He didn't have issue with that.

Ephesians 2:11-13

And

Romans 11:11-32 NIV - Ingrafted Branches - Again I ask: Did - Bible Gateway

So you believe Christmas, Easter, Sunday Mass, etc...are on par with synagogue and Hannukah?

Last edited:
Upvote 0