Should Christians Recognize the New Year?

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, for me, it will remain 1993 until Jesus returns. I'm grateful for this as 1993 was a pretty good year. Jurassic Park and Cool Runnings were released, etc. Shouldn't Christians discard this pagan holiday? Thanks in advance.

I am torn. I kind of like having a birthday, and if the year never changes then I wont get a birthday. Now, there are advantages to never having a birthday again, namely, my son will stop aging, and I will stay young to the day I die. So, do I stay eternally young? Or get a few gifts...

hmmm... deep thoughts.

Until I work out this thought process in its entirety, I think I will continue wishing everyone a happy new year, and going to bed around 10pm on New Years Eve as is the normal course of events. :)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I stopped recognizing New Years in 1993. So, for me, it will remain 1993 until Jesus returns.

But it isn't 1993. That would be deceptive to think that we are living in a year that is in the past.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The new year begins in the spring, not January 1.

Nisan 1, 2019 is:

April 6, 2019.

This is the first day of the Hebrew calendar year.
I believe this is also the time Jesus is born, too.
I believe Jesus was born during the Lambing season.
Note: Lambs are generally born at a certain time of year (Which is usually Nisan). Jesus is the Lamb of God.
Also, Nisan 1 was the setting up of the Tabernacle.

"On the first day of the first month shalt thou set up the tabernacle of the tent of the congregation." (Exodus 40:2).

Jesus tabernacled among us.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The new year begins in the spring, not January 1.
Good time to bbq...........

Exo 40
1 Then the LORD said to Moses,
“Set up the Tabernacle on the first day of the new year.
Eze 45:18
“This is what the Sovereign LORD says: In early spring, on the first day of each new year,
sacrifice a young bull with no defects to purify the Temple.

happy new year 2019.gif

New House New Stones

Virtual tour of Tabernacle

• Agree
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We all know that Christians should not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, and Easter because these holidays can be connected to paganism. What's not often talked about, however, is the pagan origins of New Years. A quick glance at the Wikipedia article for New Years Day reveals this. And I quote:

"In pre-Christian Rome under the Julian calendar, the day was dedicated to Janus, god of gateways and beginnings, for whom January is also named."

How blasphemous.

Personally, I stopped recognizing New Years in 1993. So, for me, it will remain 1993 until Jesus returns. I'm grateful for this as 1993 was a pretty good year. Jurassic Park and Cool Runnings were released, etc. Shouldn't Christians discard this pagan holiday? Thanks in advance.

That sounds backward really to not celebrate with your fellow man. You should celebrate Christmas and New Years Eve because then you're engaging with the flock. Engaging with the flock gives you an opportunity to share your religion.

It's kind like that argument to sell all and go homeless and follow God. If you're looking miserable in life then who is going to want to be like you and then who will listen to your biblical wisdom? Just food for thought :)

Some of the most successful biblical figures had riches. And probably used them wisely for good purpose. Holidays are similar perhaps.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all know that Christians should not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, and Easter because these holidays can be connected to paganism. What's not often talked about, however, is the pagan origins of New Years. A quick glance at the Wikipedia article for New Years Day reveals this. And I quote:

"In pre-Christian Rome under the Julian calendar, the day was dedicated to Janus, god of gateways and beginnings, for whom January is also named."

How blasphemous.

Personally, I stopped recognizing New Years in 1993. So, for me, it will remain 1993 until Jesus returns. I'm grateful for this as 1993 was a pretty good year. Jurassic Park and Cool Runnings were released, etc. Shouldn't Christians discard this pagan holiday? Thanks in advance.
Well if there can be one day that the whole world can celebrate what God created in six, let it be the coming in of a new year!
Happy New Year !

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

How blasphemous.

In my opinion, of course Christians should celebrate the New Year if they choose to do so. Just because somebody else who was or is not Christian or other groups who were or are not Christian also celebrate it has nothing to do with Christianity or why or how Christians observe the event.

The first Christians were mostly Jewish or pagan before they recognized and accepted the Christ. It was only natural that they replaced their former religious and celebratory occasions with Christian ones. Christian holy days and observances didn't emerge from pagan ones but replaced them.

There is nothing sinister, unChristian, or immoral, or sinful in celebrating the New Year despite the fact that some choose to do it in unChristian, immoral, sinful ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don’t forget the Ides of March is a day on the Roman calendar that corresponds to 15 March. It was marked by several religious observances and was notable for the Romans as a deadline for settling debts.
Yeah: beware the Ides of March. With inflation, in the US the Ides of April are what is to be attended with fear and loathing.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
We all know that Christians should not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, and Easter because these holidays can be connected to paganism.

No, we do not all know that. There certainly is a connection to paganism but any evil lies in the intent not the connection. There are far more important issues that Christians should be concerned about.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I celebrate Christmas and Easter and have no plans to stop. I don’t see an issue with Halloween either, but I hardly ever get trick or treaters so I don’t see a point in buying candy.

I’ll still celebrate New Years. If you don’t want to celebrate it don’t, but don’t insist that everyone else should stop celebrating New Years or any other holiday simply because you have a problem with holidays.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship

I really can't tell what is satirical and what's not on this site anymore. Poe's law now rules here
Well, at least we can agree that Polycarp was Eastern Orthodox and NOT Roman Catholic

• Agree
Reactions: ☦Marius☦
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jason you are morally lax.

Ad hominems do not help to further your point on this particular thread topic. Not sure if you are serious about the whole New Year thing; But believe as you wish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have two questions:

1) Does everybody here believe that the Messiah is going to return and set up His Kingdom "on Earth as it is in heaven"?

2) What is going to happen to all of these pagan/secular days at that time?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This just kee3ps getting more and more nonsensical. We have been told that as Christians we are not to celebrate Halloween, Christmas and Easter. Now we are being told that as Christians we also cannot celebrate New Years.

What rubbish.

Happy New Years everyone!!!

Upvote 0