Should Christians Recognize the New Year?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We all know that Christians should not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, and Easter because these holidays can be connected to paganism. What's not often talked about, however, is the pagan origins of New Years. A quick glance at the Wikipedia article for New Years Day reveals this. And I quote:

"In pre-Christian Rome under the Julian calendar, the day was dedicated to Janus, god of gateways and beginnings, for whom January is also named."

How blasphemous.

Personally, I stopped recognizing New Years in 1993. So, for me, it will remain 1993 until Jesus returns. I'm grateful for this as 1993 was a pretty good year. Jurassic Park and Cool Runnings were released, etc. Shouldn't Christians discard this pagan holiday? Thanks in advance.

I never heard about the pagan connection before. I think most really do not think about any kind of pagan things in history when they celebrate this day. New Years Eve could be celebrated in a Christian way at home without the fireworks. Granted, one will hear the fireworks anyways. I think that going out drinking on this day with other unbelievers is wrong. We should try to be unspotted from the world. We are a holy and separate people. Granted, I really do not celebrate this day personally. But if my fellow brothers wanted to honor the new year with a Bible study, I would not be against that idea. I am also not against wishing somebody a Happy New Year. I am not telling them to go out and party and get drunk. I am just wishing them a happy new year and that it will be good.

I have more of a problem with watching secular movies. Jurassic Park is especially troubling because of it's Atheist Evolutionary agenda. It also promotes fear. Jesus says not to fear anything or anyone except the One who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna. Cool runnings is about going after your dreams and believing in yourself. Jesus says he that loves his life shall lose it. We are told to deny ourselves and pick up our cross.

• Agree
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've said this once, I've said it millions of times.

I personally think that we should just speak Russian when talking about the days of the week to get rid of our blasphemous demon-invoking English days of the week.

Monday = Moon day
Tuesday = Tiw's Day = Tyr's Day
Wednesday = Woden's Day = Odin's Day
Thursday = Thor's Day
Friday = Frigg Day
Saturday = Saturn Day
Sunday = Sun day

Russian does it way better.

понедельник = After the weekend
вторник = Second day
среда = Middle
четверг = Fourth day
пятница = Fifth day
суббота = Sabbath
воскресенье = Resurrection

Can us TRUE disciples of Jesus use Russian when speaking days of the week?

Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I see nothing wrong with celebrating the new year.It's just like celebrating your birthday,you give praise to God that he brought you over.And many people see the new year as more time to build up God's kingdom.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We all know that Christians should not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, and Easter because these holidays can be connected to paganism. What's not often talked about, however, is the pagan origins of New Years. A quick glance at the Wikipedia article for New Years Day reveals this. And I quote:

"In pre-Christian Rome under the Julian calendar, the day was dedicated to Janus, god of gateways and beginnings, for whom January is also named."

How blasphemous.

Personally, I stopped recognizing New Years in 1993. So, for me, it will remain 1993 until Jesus returns. I'm grateful for this as 1993 was a pretty good year. Jurassic Park and Cool Runnings were released, etc. Shouldn't Christians discard this pagan holiday? Thanks in advance.

This is a joke right?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

No, we all do not know that...what could possibly be wrong with celebrating/recognizing the birth and death of out lord and savior?

As far as celebrating the new year, I personally had forgotten about it..it came and went without concern.

But if people want to celebrate it, I can't say that's a problem when I don't really understand your comment, celebrate what?... another second in time? A new start? A time to reflect and try to do better, An excuse to party?

I guess it all depends on the individual, and what exactly they are celebrating.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep. January -blasphemous. February is named for February, the pagan Roman lent. March is Mars’s month. April is Aphrodite’s month. I’m rather fond of her, truth be told, and have performed “rites of worship” at HER altar since I was 11, so we’ll give April a pass. But May - that’s Maya’s month. June is Juno’s. July and August is two Caesars, but they were proclaimed God’s, so that’s pagan too. After that the months are monotonously numbered, but the DAYS -O Lala! Monday, Tiew’s day, Wotan’s Day, Thor’s Day, Freya’s Day, Saturn’s day, and the day of the Sun! Drenched in paganism! It’s all gotta go (except for Venus - ‘cause she’s really sexy). Makes sense.
Don’t forget the Ides of March is a day on the Roman calendar that corresponds to 15 March. It was marked by several religious observances and was notable for the Romans as a deadline for settling debts.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can us TRUE disciples of Jesus use Russian when speaking days of the week?
Only if you want Robert Müller investigating you for collusion and the NSA following your every move.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Only if you want Robert Müller investigating you for collusion and the NSA following your every move.

Shh...don't give them any ideas. I don't want them to find out my secret plan to normalize Russian culture so that for the planned invasion through Alaska, people will be okay with the cultural barriers of the Russian occupiers....

...I didn't say too much, did I?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all know that Christians should not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, and Easter because these holidays can be connected to paganism.

Halloween, yes.
But we don''t all KNOW - or agree - that Christians should not celebrate Christmas and Easter.

What's not often talked about, however, is the pagan origins of New Years. A quick glance at the Wikipedia article for New Years Day reveals this. And I quote:

How blasphemous.

All the months of the year and days of the week were named after Roman or Greek gods.
They are only blasphemous if you choose to ignore the One true God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and indulge in ceremonies to worship these other, non existent, deities instead.

Personally, I stopped recognizing New Years in 1993. So, for me, it will remain 1993 until Jesus returns. I'm grateful for this as 1993 was a pretty good year. Jurassic Park and Cool Runnings were released, etc.

Do you realise the irony of this? You believe that celebrating a New Year is blasphemous, but are quite happy to honour and commemorate a year in which 2, probably non Christian, films were made?

And that's apart from the fact that you are clearly 25 years behind everyone else.
I think I can guarantee that if you were to write the year 1993 on any checks or legal documents, they would not be accepted. And what do you do about people who've been born since 1993 - ignore them?

Shouldn't Christians discard this pagan holiday?

Nope.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This whole world is confirmed to paganism.... look around and stop bashing Christains who do celebrate Christmas. This is WHY Jesus said not to be conformed to the world and Paul said the renewing of our mind. What is it are you really focusing on? Jesus or paganism?

Paul also said that one esteems a day higher than another, but another will esteem days all the same, and yet God still loves both of them. It all depends what each individual is convicted of and also where one came from.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

How blasphemous.

I'm a Christian and I kind of celebrated the new year here at work, there is nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whats with the Jurassic Park hate?

known: Dinosaurs once existed
known: humans can clone things, and getting better at it.

The question the movie poses is how much science is too much, verses how much is beneficial. Is there a too far we can go with science?

You would think Christians as a general rule would appreciate the fact the movie leaves one feeling as if there is a too much or too far for science, and that scientists should never lose their moral compass in the pursuit of scientific advancement. i.e. advancement for the sake of advancement can't always be looked at as a universal good.

Shocked people didn't get that..

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

How blasphemous.

This is daft.
Do you reject the days of the week also, because your theology says you should!
Sunday, the day of the Sun God.

Monday, the day of the Moon God.
Lundi in French, lune=moon.

Tuesday, the day of Tui, the God of war, also related to Mars god of war, and of course Mardi in French.

Wednesday, dedicated to Woden (Odin) yet another pagan god.

Thursday, dedicated to the God of thunder, Thor.

Friday, dedicated to Freya, the Norse God of love and fertility etc, wife of Woden.

Saturday, dedicated to the Roman God Saturn.

So, you really are stuffed completely, polluted by living in this pagan world. I am sure that you will also find that the 24 hr day is pagan...…….oh dear???????????

Alternatively, you can do what Jesus said and render unto Caesar's that which is Caesars's!

Common historic agreement holds those names for days and months, so stop fretting and get on with your life. Nothing you can do will change the days or months, and God isn't laying the blame on you for that.

I refuse to celebrate Christmas or Easter or the other pagan church feasts. But that doesn't stop me recognising other people's lives revolve around that time of year.

Also, do you not think its far worse being named after the god Apollo, like Paul's fellow worker on the Book of Acts.
If speaking the name of a pagan god was such a big deal, why didn't they change Apollo's name to Tom Dick or Harry?

Upvote 0

Roidecoeur78

This world is not my home.
Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IIRC, EVERYONE involved in the production of these two films was Christian.
Did "we" finally get Steven Spielberg to convert?

Also, it's the same eternity it ever was. Some people just like to keep adding a one to it.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How blasphemous.

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

Wiki says it is not related to a pagan holiday but the date is close to one. Lupercalia - Wikipedia

Upvote 0