Should Christians practice the holidys of Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas?

tkolter

May 8, 2018
Saint Petersburg, Florida
✟22,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Halloween is not Christian but neither are the trinity of holidays mentioned every last one has Pagan Roots and in some cases steeped in human sacrifices and we are told by God to avoid the strange practices not of His will. Just because you Christianize a day and slap pretty makeup on the pig and make it able to do a ballet doesn't make the pig not a pig and it can't save a pagan holiday of its filthy roots.

So why do especially Protestants follow a practice and now a holiday the Roman Catholics and others follow due to starting them by usurping them from the pagan and the dark powers antithesis to our God and His Son.

Now I do think alternative holidays could be done pick another time perhaps Passover and use that time to honor the birth, sacrificial death and rising of Jesus and to love and respect others thanking God replaced the Pagan Holiday for one of long tradition to honor God OR if that is offensive some days free of such a connection.

What do others think I for one don't practice these three pagan days and don't believe any Christian should in addition to Halloween.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Halloween is not Christian but neither are the trinity of holidays mentioned every last one has Pagan Roots and in some cases steeped in human sacrifices and we are told by God to avoid the strange practices not of His will. Just because you Christianize a day and slap pretty makeup on the pig and make it able to do a ballet doesn't make the pig not a pig and it can't save a pagan holiday of its filthy roots.

So why do especially Protestants follow a practice and now a holiday the Roman Catholics and others follow due to starting them by usurping them from the pagan and the dark powers antithesis to our God and His Son.

Now I do think alternative holidays could be done pick another time perhaps Passover and use that time to honor the birth, sacrificial death and rising of Jesus and to love and respect others thanking God replaced the Pagan Holiday for one of long tradition to honor God OR if that is offensive some days free of such a connection.

What do others think I for one don't practice these three pagan days and don't believe any Christian should in addition to Halloween.

"pick another time perhaps Passover "

Easter, as it is known to english speaking Christians, is referred to as Pashca by most Christians. The meaning is "passover".

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Giving thanks to God is why Thanksgiving became a holiday. Some families do thank God. We don't force everyone to do that. Christmas should be about honoring Christ instead of watching A Christmas Carol.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Halloween is not Christian but neither are the trinity of holidays mentioned every last one has Pagan Roots and in some cases steeped in human sacrifices and we are told by God to avoid the strange practices not of His will.

Sorry, what are the pagan roots of Thanksgiving, and how is human sacrifice involved?

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The birth and resurrection of Christ are hardly pagan- and Thanksgiving is a secular holiday anyways, so feel free to leave some more pumpkin pie for the rest of us.

I want some pie!
Smiley Pumpkin Pie 1.gif
Thanksgiving at frugalandvintage dot blogspot dot com.jpg

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

It seems you need to do some more research on Christmas, Easter and Halloween. Thanksgiving is more of a secular holiday without any explicitly Christian components integral to it. Christ's Mass is a celebration of the Incarnation of the Word into flesh. And it's not celebrated when it is because of any pagan reasons, but because December 25th is the shortest day of the year. Just as the days that follow the solstice have more light, the world has more light because of the nativity of Christ. Easter, as has been said upthread, is the Christian version of Passover and in fact for the first few centuries of the Church always feel at about the same time. All Hallow's Eve is at it's heart the vigil of All Hallow's Day, or All Saints Day. The date for All Saint's Day did fluctuate a bit at the beginning, but in Ireland it was never celebrated at the same time as Samhain.

Even if all of this wasn't true, it doesn't matter. Christianity is about the power of God in Christ being greater then all the powers of the world. Your avatar is the cross, which was a symbol of the power of the Roman Empire, but now it has become a symbol of the power of our God. It doesn't matter if there are or are not pagan roots to particular celebrations. What matters is that all we do need to point towards Christ.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You can find a way to make these "Family" holidays with no preaching. A Christian couple in my childhood had a fall festival every halloween with a cookout and apple bobbing and the whole neighborhood invited, no costumes, no preaching. They showed the neighborhood how to have a good time with no witchcraft and plenty of apple cider.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Pick any day of the year. Something horrible, even evil, happened on that day in history. I guarantee it. It is the intent and purpose of the celebrant that matters, not the date on the calendar.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

was Jesus born of a virgin and did not kings come from the east to worship him and did he not die on passover and be raised on the feast of 1st fruits? These ideas are not pagan and the aspects that have to do with pagan fertility gods have nothing to do with celebrating once a year these major events in the Bible. The pagan elements can be cast out and the history of changing the holiday dates from the ones established in pagan culture to now being Christian days seems a bit practical. have you ever been to a sunrise service? I think these holidays bring many people to church only on these days. some of them hear the message and are convicted and start to seek after the things of God more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Many times we don't learn the truth about things until we get older. But, I do find it very disconcerting when people continue to practice these things even after learning about them.

1 Corinthians 13:11

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Do your research! Most of these holidays have nothing to do with paganism.

Upvote 0

_smartz

Mar 7, 2019
Toronto
✟15,302.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You're actually correct but sadly in the minority. 80% of Americans will be celebrating a holiday they shouldn't be.

It's explained here: incmedia.org/celebrating-easter/

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You're actually correct but sadly in the minority. 80% of Americans will be celebrating a holiday they shouldn't be.

It's explained here: incmedia.org/celebrating-easter/
I think the author of the web site needs to read the words of our Holy Week liturgy a little more closely. Our Good Friday service is here: Good Friday , and our Easter Vigil service is here: The Great Vigil of Easter .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

_smartz

Mar 7, 2019
Toronto
✟15,302.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the author of the web site needs to read the words of our Holy Week liturgy a little more closely. Our Good Friday service is here: Good Friday , and our Easter Vigil service is here: The Great Vigil of Easter .

I realize that everyone has different opinions, believes and faiths, but I'm sticking to whatever is actually written in the Bible. As long as this websites keeps quoting that Bible, im using it as a resource of the truth.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I realize that everyone has different opinions, believes and faiths, but I'm sticking to whatever is actually written in the Bible. As long as this websites keeps quoting that Bible, im using it as a resource of the truth.
Which talks nothing about Easter and Christmas being pagans and sinful.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0