Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians chapter 10 verse 4
The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.

At one point they were going to make Jesus king by force, but he didn't want that, so why should we fight for anyone in power.
This verse is very relevant, yes. The world in its nationalities, and the church can never be the same. The believer's weapons - the whole armour of God in Ephesians 6 - are spiritual.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy once said, “Patriotism in its simplest, clearest and most indubitable signification is nothing else but a means of obtaining for the rulers their ambitions and covetous desires, and for the ruled the abdication of human dignity, reason, conscience, and a slavish enthrallment to those in power.” His quote is a bit grim and cynical, but he makes an important point.

Patriotism is nothing short of government worship. Arguably, patriotic feelings are a form of idolatry which replaces God with a nation. If someone recites the Pledge of Allegiance or otherwise expresses devotion to a flag, country, or national emblem, he is committing idolatry, something which the Bible forbids in Leviticus 26:1: “Do not make idols or set up an image or sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the LORD your God.”

We Christians should be worshipping God, not a flag or nation. For this reason, do you think Christians should be opposed to patriotism? If you think patriotism is harmless, explain why it doesn't constitute idolatry.

Patriotism is of this world and this world's prince is the Devil. Christians should oppose patriotism in other Christians but not those who are of this world. God instituted government in the world to be governed by those of the world. Since we are not of the world what does it have to do with us? And, for those who say that God is in control of the world, which I agree with, how do you know which candidate is the right one to vote for? If you vote contrary to God then you are in opposition to the One you say you serve. Christians have no business in politics of any kind. Politics is a rejection of God. God told Samuel when the Israelites demanded a king that they had not rejected Samuel they had rejected God as their King. Voting for a president or getting involved in politics is no different.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Soviet regime was extremely unpopular when Stalin was in power, and it's hard to believe that anyone would be patriots for a brutal authoritarian nation, but millions of Russians still fought in WWII despite the lack of patriotism at the time. I think you're a little short-sighted because you apparently haven't heard of conscription. Basically, it's where the government forces their citizens to fight in a war, whether they like it or not.

Come on now, just because there was that particular circumstance, and because you think I didn't know that happens, hardly makes what I said short sighted, but it was a good excuse to call me that since I said I thought your post was. :)

Now I could call you shortsighted for not realizing, that when push comes to shove, we're forced to fight here in the US, but I don't think that fact has anything to do with you being shortsighted as you claim it does me. Patriotism just being bad all around, now that's a different story..

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have rights. We should defend our rights.

If you are in Christ, you surrendered your rights to boast before man.

Even as children of God, it's our duty to be the best kind of a person that we can be.

Where is that found in the Bible? The Bible teaches apart from the work of God, none of us are capable of being the "best kind of a person that we can be". [Ephesians 2, Romans 3]

The peaceful power that our Constitution allows is exactly what the Bible allows

Not really.

Upvote 0

HeatRamosHidden

Aug 26, 2005
✟27,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If you are in Christ, you surrendered your rights to boast before man.

Where is that found in the Bible? The Bible teaches apart from the work of God, none of us are capable of being the "best kind of a person that we can be". [Ephesians 2, Romans 3]

Not really.

I'm not talking about boasting before Mankind. I'm talking about the right to be ourselves under God. As we are under God, we mature into God's Kingdom, thus being "The Best Kind of people we can be", which doesn't give glory to ourselves, but to God.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People are born once and have such an ego whether they say they believe in a god or even practice a religion or say sorry to people or confess to the God who is the Bible, but faith without works is dead
People need God completely
Without Him we wouldn't
So many people are dead now all around

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If someone is deceived how can they but consider their thoughts and culture right. They say "give, give" and only keep going in sin with that ego...even if it's one holding a Bible...which is arguably a recipe that could be worse than a fool without a Bible
Lots of false prophets
If anyone actually wanted remission of sin and not just whatever religion was popular to help make friends or get money or for family
People suffer and sin and are so confused but then they don't even want to hear all the Bible says. Some like loud drama and war, some like neighbors and quiet parties, History has had lots of people who think they're right and loving
Should a born again Christian be patriotic? As a man I might reason that your country serving the gospel would need to win over or otherwise have peace and lack of terrorism from other countries. Actually where am I sourcing that from

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Patriotism is nothing short of government worship. Arguably, patriotic feelings are a form of idolatry which replaces God with a nation.

Love of country, like love of family, is a good thing.

Like any love of a good thing, it can turn into idolatry if taken too far.

• Agree
Reactions: elliott95
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What's that line that Thomas More said? "I am the King's faithful servant, but God's first."

A Christian's ultimate loyalty is to God but if that forbids patriotism in any form how do Christians serve that country and it's interests if they are elected or put into positions of power? They ultimately can't because they could use their Christianity as a pretext to undermine the country (in which case they would be violating the trust given them).

Christianity should transcend all ties, familial, friendship and patriotism but no one suggests because we love and support our families (despite their flaws) that we have created an idol out of them (though we can do that).

I have no problem with a measured patriotism, a love of one's country. It only becomes a problem if that love doesn't recognise flaws. I say this as someone who is not particularly patriotic towards my own New Zealand.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I say this as someone who is not particularly patriotic towards my own New Zealand.

Tōna mana kia tū!
Tōna kaha kia ū;
Tōna rongo hei pakū
Ki te ao katoa
Aua rawa ngā whawhai
Ngā tutū e tata mai;
Kia tupu nui ai
Aotearoa!

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible teaches apart from the work of God, none of us are capable of being the "best kind of a person that we can be".

That's all that's possible lol, haw can it not be a fact we are only capable of doing our best :)

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And to some extent He does so by means of nations.

Yes, but I don't think one can definitively say that the US government is completely concerned with protecting Christians currently. Christians are being arrested for sharing their faith in the public square in this country. That is not God using the US government as a means to protect and preserve Christianity, but a judgment on this nation.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Patriotism is affection for or attachment to one's homeland. I think there is nothing so wrong with that. It's nationalism, or the concept that one's country is superior to other countries that bothers me. I confess I cringe a bit every time I hear phrases like "Leader of the Free World...Greatest Country on Earth." Or "You should destroy your nuclear arsenal (but we won't because we're entitled to have it)." There is a difference between loving your country and thinking that your country is somehow special on the world stage.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is not God using the US government as a means to protect and preserve Christianity, but a judgment on this nation.

In so far as the US government is better than the governments of North Korea, Somalia, or ISIS, that is God working to protect and preserve people by means of the government.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In so far as the US government is better than the governments of North Korea, Somalia, or ISIS, that is God working to protect and preserve people by means of the government.

I would leans towards God preserving His people in spite of the US government, not by the US government. While I do agree that God uses governments, and that the Christian should submit to the authority placed above them (as long as it does not go against the word of God), that does not mean that the Christian should turn to the US government for protection and/or help. The US government, by and large, is not in favor of Christianity, nor is that entirely relevant to me, but rather expected. Because if the world loves us, than I wonder if we are truly walking in the light of Christ.

I also agree that the US Government is not as evil as it could be, but that is only because of the restraining hand of God's grace, not because of the "goodness" of the US Government.

Upvote 0