Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That passage really has nothing to do with Christians not attending funerals. The guy that asked Jesus about doing such was trying to say he wanted to wait to follow Jesus until after his father was buried and I'm assuming the proper grieving time was allotted and fulfilled.

Jesus was simply telling him it is better to put aside all things in pursuit of Him, which the man apparently wasn't willing to do.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
21 Another of the disciples said to him, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father." 22 And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead." - Matthew 8:21-22
Jesus was responding to a particular situation. It does not mean it's protocol to not attend funerals. onlybygrace84 gave a good answer.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

21 Another of the disciples said to him, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father." 22 And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead." - Matthew 8:21-22
Funerals are great opportunities to share the gospel.... and one of the few really good things that comes from death... ONLY Jesus brings new life from death. Its a wonder to see people accept Christ at a funeral... it brings new meaning to the blood being the what makes the church grow. Last year after a young man committed suicide nearly 30 kids gave their lives to Jesus at his funeral. He was a Christian from a Christian Family. What a blessing to know that so many young people were effected by his funeral.

You seem sad, are you okay? :wave:

God bless, andrea

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we can handle it sensitively they could. I wouldnt mention their loved one might be in hell. That would be cruel and insensitive.

Hello:)

But does it help the loved ones to perpetuate a lie? They might end up lost themselves, if no-one tells them the truth.

God Bless:)

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That verse requires cultural context in order to understand it. In that age and culture, when someone said, "Let me go bury my father," what they were doing was asking for some time to wait until their father died and they could bury them and gain the inheritance.

So the man who said that wasn't grieving the death of his father, he was grieving the loss of his worldly inheritance. And Jesus rightly advised him to let those who are spiritually dead stay focused on the world. Those who would have life need to follow Him.

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

Hello:)

But does it help the loved ones to perpetuate a lie? They might end up lost themselves, if no-one tells them the truth.

God Bless:)

Tell them, just don't talk about their loved one who died if they are unsure where he ended up. The guy is dead and they are still in mourning.

I meant share the gospel but stay away from talking about the loved one who is passed.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tell them, just don't talk about their loved one who died if they are unsure where he ended up. The guy is dead and they are still in mourning.

I meant share the gospel but stay away from talking about the loved one who is passed.

Thank you for your reply:)

I see what you mean, but I think the conversation will inevitably turn round to 'what about my loved one that has passed away'............

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That verse requires cultural context in order to understand it. In that age and culture, when someone said, "Let me go bury my father," what they were doing was asking for some time to wait until their father died and they could bury them and gain the inheritance.

So the man who said that wasn't grieving the death of his father, he was grieving the loss of his worldly inheritance. And Jesus rightly advised him to let those who are spiritually dead stay focused on the world. Those who would have life need to follow Him.

Very good :)

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

What about the funeral of an unbeliever who has died?

Nothing like having everyone talking about those insensitive Christians who won't even go to the funeral of friends or loved ones to be a good witness for Christ. Of course Christians go to funerals and no they don't stand around and talk about how they are in 'h e ll'….

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing like having everyone talking about those insensitive Christians who won't even go to the funeral of friends or loved ones to be a good witness for Christ. Of course Christians go to funerals and no they don't stand around and talk about how they are in 'h e ll'….

Or those insensitive Christians who wouldn't bow down to the golden image and were thrown into the fiery furnace:)

I'm leaning towards the view that the best time to show yourself a Christian to people is while they are alive. Not much good after they're deid.

God Bless You:)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By attending a funeral where a universalist minister has everyone in heaven? Is that compassionate?

I'v never been to one like that.
The standard practice is to commit thier soul to God... and end it there. That way no one is saying they are saved or not.
Unless it's my step grandmother who went to hell.

....before any jump at me...,just know I said that with valid reason.

Upvote 0