Should Christians touch?

highlife

Jan 7, 2011
✟1,072.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nocturnal emissions do not actively involve a sexual act or active sexual thoughts, because you are sleeping. (Now, if you have lustful thoughts and sexual fantasies all day and then dream about it, I would maybe have to reconsider my views on if it is a sin or not)... but a mortal sin is something that needs to have full consent and full knowledge, nocturnal emissions does not meet either of those criteria.

Wait, who again says that masturbating prevents prostate cancer.

A quick search and the first 2 links that came up told me the opposite:

One study in 2003 showed that it might lower the risk. Another within the last couple of years showed it might actually increase the risk of prostate cancer. At best, it's inconclusive. Unless you have more evidence I'm not seeing?

I will have to check web md and see if there are resources there. However anything that creates pain in your body such as blue balls cant be good for you in the long term.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Historically the md treating a man for prostatitis would turn to his wife and say "Make sure he gets plenty of sex". So there is a biological connection..... BUT

I'm afraid we are doing the OP a disservice with this rabbit trail, the question is should the Christian touch.

Upvote 0

highlife

Jan 7, 2011
✟1,072.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Historically the md treating a man for prostatitis would turn to his wife and say "Make sure he gets plenty of sex". So there is a biological connection..... BUT

I'm afraid we are doing the OP a disservice with this rabbit trail, the question is should the Christian touch.

The reason for the medical argument is because if an inturpretation leads to something that harms you then the inturpretation need to be brought into question becasue the bible does not provide instruction for us to harm ourselves.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Masturbation by name is not listed, but "spilling seed" is. Genesis 38:9, Onan is killed for spilling his seed, as obviously is done in masturbation.

Actually, this is inaccurate. Onan was killed for disobeying God by not impregnating his late brother's wife, as done by the pull-out method, NOT by masturbation. He had his sexual way with her, but didn't allow his seed to impregnate her as God commanded.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again, is it the action itself that is wrong, or the intent/purpose behind it? Sexual feelings are natural and God-ordained. He wants husbands and wives to be turned on by their spouses, therefore, created the sexual drive. The drive, itself, is not wrong, and actually is quite beautiful. It can be distorted, however, into fornication, adultery, rape, molestation, inappropriate behavior with animals, etc. Those things are wrong, but not because sexual desire is wrong; they're wrong because of the intent behind them.

Masturbation, imo, is the same. The action itself is neither good nor evil, but can be distorted into something evil. (Like when used with inappropriate content.) My husband and I use masturbation in our sex lives, and have found it to be incredibly pleasing for BOTH of us. We each like to watch the other touch. Is this defiling our bed? No. In the case of a single person using masturbation to satisfy themselves, ESPECIALLY when helping to abstain from other actions we know to be sinful(like fornication), I see masturbation as a healthy alternative.

My sister is almost thirty. She is a virgin and unmarried. Her biological time clock is gonging, to the point of having explicit and erotic sex dreams that she feels guilty over. I suggested masturbation. It has helped to tame the dreams considerably, and helped to lessen the substantial sexual urges she's had in the last few years.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Over 20 years ago I remember James Dobson teaching on this subject. He said that for the young Christian man if you make mb a sin you are setting him up for a probable spiritual defeat; that it is not wrong.

I don't think that most women realize what that HUGE rush of testosterone does to a guy at puberty. My three brothers and I will sit around and "chew the fat" at times. One of them said as a teen he would often mb 4X/day to being sore. I just didn't remember to count. It was terrible, I was happy to have SOME sort of relief.

Ever see one of those old pressure cookers? My mom had one, it would build up a head of steam and whistle out of that top valve. Maybe God just gave us mb like that steam valve to release pressure...beats blowing up!!!

Upvote 0

highlife

Jan 7, 2011
✟1,072.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Over 20 years ago I remember James Dobson teaching on this subject. He said that for the young Christian man if you make mb a sin you are setting him up for a probable spiritual defeat; that it is not wrong.

I don't think that most women realize what that HUGE rush of testosterone does to a guy at puberty. My three brothers and I will sit around and "chew the fat" at times. One of them said as a teen he would often mb 4X/day to being sore. I just didn't remember to count. It was terrible, I was happy to have SOME sort of relief.

Ever see one of those old pressure cookers? My mom had one, it would build up a head of steam and whistle out of that top valve. Maybe God just gave us mb like that steam valve to release pressure...beats blowing up!!!

And anyone who thinks nocternal emmissions relieve the full pressure are dilusional, its just their convient way to maintain their zealotus stance and dilude themselves into thinking its consistant medical knowlage when its not. Although alot of zealots dont even try to pretend that their inturpretations of scripture and science/medicine coincide, their inturpretations of scripture are cult like to a point where deductive reasoning goes out the window. Thats the same way muslims get people to blow themselves up is they keep the population ignorant and only teach them PART of the scripture to manipulate them. These people are usually 100% intellectually dishonest as well.

Nocternal emission is like a 1/2" relief valve on a 3000 psig steam header. Nocternal emissions are not equivalent to full blown [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].

Upvote 0

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There are some studies which suggest that regular sex can decrease the risk of (not prevent) prostate cancer. The same effect has not been shown for masturbation conclusively. Any arguments about "blue balls" are simply arguments from emotion - that is not actually a medical condition. And webMD is mostly a load of bunk. Don't trust everything you read on the internet - I would go to pubmed and read whatever articles I find with a very critical eye, because even most published studies have serious design flaws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnKnox87

Sep 7, 2010
✟7,669.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I've tried to convince myself by every argument used that masturbation is not a sin, at school we were taught that it was fine and beneficial and tried to convince myself it was true. But in the end I had to face the fact that God was telling me clearly that it was wrong. I do find that masturbation does feed the lustful passions,gives a bad conscience and feeling far away from God. I wish that the Church would give stronger guidance on this topic than it does at the moment.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I know a guy who followed the conservative teaching that men not touch when he was young. When he got married and 1st make love to his bride it was very painful at [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. The Doctor told him that the tube that brings the sperm to the urethra had sealed shut because he hadn't masturbated. So he has had to avoid [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] all his life.

I forget the medical name for this.

Another reason I'd encourage young men to touch.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've tried to convince myself by every argument used that masturbation is not a sin, at school we were taught that it was fine and beneficial and tried to convince myself it was true. But in the end I had to face the fact that God was telling me clearly that it was wrong. I do find that masturbation does feed the lustful passions,gives a bad conscience and feeling far away from God. I wish that the Church would give stronger guidance on this topic than it does at the moment.

This is your own personal conviction, though. My husband was/is able to touch without any lustful thoughts for anyone but me. I am also able to touch without any lustful thoughts for anyone but him. This is a personal thing. Lust is always wrong, fornication is always wrong, homosexuality is always wrong, stealing, lying, murder, taking the Lord's name in vain are always wrong. Lust does not always accompany masturbation. If it does for you, then yes, stay away from it. But don't condemn others for something that may not even be an issue for them.

Upvote 0

Secret Friend

Read the Amplified translation of Romans 13:5
Jan 10, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

This is your answer...

Masturbation outside of marriage IS SIN.

Why? Where is there proof in the bible? Heres your answer...

The bible says that Lust IS SIN in 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5

"For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;"

The dictionary definition of lust is "1) intense or unrestrained sexual craving, or 2) an overwhelming desire or craving."

Masturbation comes from Lust. And Lust is SIN. So outside of marriage masturbation IS SIN.

In marriage if couple is separated and decides to play on the phone or on text together and think about eachother and "touch" then that is a different story. Because in marriage that should not even be called "masturbation"... It is the sexual desire that God intended there to be in marriage that is totally acceptable ONLY under marriage.

May God bless you!

Secret Friend

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

Romanseight2005

I know a guy who followed the conservative teaching that men not touch when he was young. When he got married and 1st make love to his bride it was very painful at [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. The Doctor told him that the tube that brings the sperm to the urethra had sealed shut because he hadn't masturbated. So he has had to avoid [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] all his life.

I forget the medical name for this.

Another reason I'd encourage young men to touch.

I'm sorry, but I am really having a problem buying this. First of all, as far as the first time being painful, welcome to a woman's world. Second, just because a man doesn't touch, doesn't mean he has never had an emission. If he was not having nocturnal emissions, then something else was wrong.

Upvote 0

highlife

Jan 7, 2011
✟1,072.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, but I am really having a problem buying this. First of all, as far as the first time being painful, welcome to a woman's world. Second, just because a man doesn't touch, doesn't mean he has never had an emission. If he was not having nocturnal emissions, then something else was wrong.

Nocturnal Emissions are no where close to being equivalent to the relief of a full blown [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. I would not rely on nocturnal emissions to prevent future medical problems, even if a study is not "conclusive" why would I want to take a chance on something like that espeically when MB is also pleasurable.

Upvote 0

highlife

Jan 7, 2011
✟1,072.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

This is your answer...

"For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;"

The dictionary definition of lust is "1) intense or unrestrained sexual craving, or 2) an overwhelming desire or craving."

Masturbation comes from Lust. And Lust is SIN. So outside of marriage masturbation IS SIN.

In marriage if couple is separated and decides to play on the phone or on text together and think about eachother and "touch" then that is a different story. Because in marriage that should not even be called "masturbation"... It is the sexual desire that God intended there to be in marriage that is totally acceptable ONLY under marriage.

May God bless you!

Secret Friend

I guess we have different ideas of what an "unrestrained sexual craving" is, to me that is when things have gotten so out of control that you begin entertaining the idea of seeking out prostitutes or the inappropriate contentstars themselves and you become obsesed/it controls your life and becomes a lagitimate medically defined adiction. Simply getting off is not lust, whether you use images or not.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings,

This is your answer...

May God bless you!

Secret Friend

Firstly, the Bible doesn't mention masturbation as a sin, it mentions lust. Unless you can prove that lust and masturbation always go hand in hand, you have no basis for saying that masturbation is a sin. I think it CAN be a sin, but I don't think it is always a sin.

Secondly, the verse you offered mentions lust. Prove to me how masturbation comes from lust, and I will reconsider my position.

Thirdly, the definition of masturbation is this:

–noun 1. the stimulation or manipulation of one's own genitals, esp. to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]; sexual self-gratification.

2. the stimulation, by manual or other means exclusive of coitus, of another's genitals, esp. to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].

None of these mentions lust. And, actually, by definition, it MUST be masturbation within marriage as well. So, if you believe masturbation is sin for you, then fine. But there's nothing that says that masturbation for others is a sin.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess we have different ideas of what an "unrestrained sexual craving" is, to me that is when things have gotten so out of control that you begin entertaining the idea of seeking out prostitutes or the inappropriate contentstars themselves and you become obsesed/it controls your life and becomes a lagitimate medically defined adiction. Simply getting off is not lust, whether you use images or not.

Aside from the last sentence, I agree. An "unrestrained sexual craving" implies not being able to control oneself; i.e. casual sex with anyone, watching inappropriate content, etc. Masturbation does NOT mean that ones sexual craving is unrestrained. I often touch while my husband is at work so that I'll be ready for him when he gets home. That's not lust, or a sin.

Upvote 0