Should Christians Give To The Poor?

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen to all those responses and one the qualifier is if you are a parent not to deprive those over whom you are made responsible (and I do not mean give them what they want I mean strive to meet their needs as best as you are able within your supply). In other words give till it hurts, but not when it hurts the family over whom you are appointed priest, however teach them to give as well.

I was so proud when my 8 year old son wanted to help feed the starving children and was willing to give of his own meager allowance to do so. He was so serious he made us make posters with numbers and addresses of places others could send donations to.

He was awarded a certificate from Feed the Children after about ten years that thanked him for providing 2,693 meals in his young life. I believe one of the best experiences one can provide for their kids is have them watch a few infomercials from Children International or Save the Children or Red Cross relief in Chile or Haiti...it really helps them see their own lives in perspective.

To tell them to give is good but to see them want to all on their own is godliness.

Just my $.02

Paul

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I use to live in a big city. You couldn't walk far without someone asking if you had money for gas, because they broke down blocks away and were desperate to get their family home.
Of course those who thought up this scam didn't think to spend a couple dollars on a gas can so as to sell their pitch a little more realistically. What were they going to do? Get a donation and then carry the fuel in their hands to the car?

I donate to the poor through the local food banks and shelters. I give clothes I don't wear anymore to the Goodwill.
If someone hasn't the money to pay for an item or two at the grocery, when they're a customer in front of me at checkout, I buy their items so they'll have more to eat.

I think in this day we have to be careful. There are a lot of scammers out there that know big hearts can make them a lot of money.

I doubt many living in America missed this story. It probably went international as well.

"Homeless man" not homeless -- lives in rent-free apartment (Video)

jeffrey_hillman_larry_deprimo_AP486453899854_fullwidth_620x350.jpg

New York City Police Officer Larry DePrimo presents boots to a barefoot man later identified as Jeffrey Hillman in New York's Times Square Nov. 14, 2012. / AP Photo/Jennifer Foster

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
There are a lot of scammers out there that know big hearts can make them a lot of money.
You learn over time... ideally most of us would say yes, but through experience we get better at seeing where the real needs are.

Jesus seemed to have a fund where he sometimes gave to the poor... but notice that when He sent disciples out to heal people, He made sure the focus was on God's power and not on money.
And the apostles... Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I thee. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk.

Jesus even said of an extravagant symbolic gesture, "There will always be poor."

I have worked in impoverished areas, and there are people who know how to scam, those who know how to come up with the pity story then hop in their Mercedes. Or they turn around in the same hour and sell donated items for drugs. It does not glorify God if we are made fools of for being generous.

Giving to an organization definitely helps. And walking a friend through a difficult time in their life seems critical to living an earnest Christian life.

Some people keep wrapped food in their pockets to hand out to people they run into, or take the person to a fast food store to make sure the money is spent on food.

There have been many stories here on CF where people invited friends to live with them until they got back on their feet, and it was almost impossible to get them out of the house. Generosity is good, but plan your limits before giving away everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
"Million dollar church" --- so true. Jesus didn't tell us to sell all we had and give to the evangelist.
On prior post's cynicism -- I do give to the poor, so I'm just trying to balance out this conversation. Just today someone tried to scam me.
Actually a few situations in less direct ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
My fiance was homeless twice a few years ago (weirdly enough I'm not nervous about it) and he's told me stories about observing people being dropped off in pretty nice cars on a corner with a homeless sign, and then being picked up again at the end of the day. When he talked to some of the folk who he met in shelters and the like they would tell him that on average the haul for a day would be around $300.

One option I heard of was taking a pencil box, or a pencil bag and putting travel size shampoo, tooth brushes, hair brushes, toothpaste, a sewing kit, pen, paper pad, washcloth, soap, and maybe a treat like candy or something, maybe a 5 dollar gift card to Subway or something, putting it in your glove box, or purse/briefcase and handing them out.

Upvote 0

jasonsloss

Christian
Jan 5, 2013
California
✟8,774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use to live in a big city. You couldn't walk far without someone asking if you had money for gas, because they broke down blocks away and were desperate to get their family home.
Of course those who thought up this scam didn't think to spend a couple dollars on a gas can so as to sell their pitch a little more realistically. What were they going to do? Get a donation and then carry the fuel in their hands to the car?

I donate to the poor through the local food banks and shelters. I give clothes I don't wear anymore to the Goodwill.
If someone hasn't the money to pay for an item or two at the grocery, when they're a customer in front of me at checkout, I buy their items so they'll have more to eat.

I think in this day we have to be careful. There are a lot of scammers out there that know big hearts can make them a lot of money.

I doubt many living in America missed this story. It probably went international as well.

"Homeless man" not homeless -- lives in rent-free apartment (Video)

jeffrey_hillman_larry_deprimo_AP486453899854_fullwidth_620x350.jpg

New York City Police Officer Larry DePrimo presents boots to a barefoot man later identified as Jeffrey Hillman in New York's Times Square Nov. 14, 2012. / AP Photo/Jennifer Foster

Okay... Why is it we are more focused on the scammer than the act of kindness? Yes I do agree we as Christians should be aware of the evil in the world, but should we not thank God and sing praises to God for such acts of helplessness above all else...

M
MaryHolden
Thank you. Just once in my life I'd like to hear Christians say they give generously to the poor without hearing the usual warnings that all poor and homeless people are scamming us, dishonest liars, addicts, drunks, morally inferior, etc. If you don't care about the poor, don't give to them. Those of us who do care and want to follow Jesus will give to them.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

2ndRateMind

Pilgrim Defiant
Sep 8, 2008
In Contemplation
✟9,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I'm delighted to see the generosity of responses to this thread. It gives me great hope for the future. And it just makes economic sense that we should lift the poor out of poverty, and help them turn, in turn, from needy receivers into established contributors. It's hard to get a job, if you are homeless and have no address. It's hard to give up drugs, if you have nothing better to hope for. If you live on the streets, and smell, you will find it difficult to enter 'polite' society.

For the first time in history, we have the economic wherewithall to end poverty.

Let's do it.

Cheers, 2RM.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We tend to be too self absorb into some sort of highly defended imported OT tithing system to sustain our million dollar church buildings than are worried about the poor. The sum of our Christian living is measured by bigger buildings and more pastoral staff not giving to the poor.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
If you live on the streets, and smell, you will find it difficult to enter 'polite' society.
I think some of our caution here is because there are many services already established for giving to the poor. Some people choose not to use them, but they are there.

In the US, beyond severance pay for unemployment we have unemployment insurance, and jobhunting centers with many services.

http://statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

We have social security for retirement or the loss of a household breadwinner;
the welfare system and food stamps. A large percentage of citizens are using public assistance.

There are welfare-to-work programs, Americorp, Jobcorps; VESID and other programs for retraining those with disabilities; state programs providing almost-free health insurance; tuition assistance.

http://greenbook.waysandmeans.house.gov/2012-green-book

Then there are private organizations: Catholic Family Services, Salvation Army, Volunteers of America, Goodwill, Operation Blessing, Lion's Club, Samaritan's Purse, Jerry's Kids, McDonald houses, many local food distribution services, and the generous work of each private church -- and non-Christian religious organizations.

Our society is loaded with generous and supportive activity.

I have seen overseas magazines that pumped up Obama's statements on how broken our system is, but in reality it's incredibly functional and generous to people in need.

A homeless person can stay at each homeless shelter for a limited amount of time. They can revolve from one to the other -- in the cities, they are within walking distance of each other. Each large city also provides subsidized housing, so it's a matter of applying for it -- and some people choose not to.

One option I heard of was taking a pencil box, or a pencil bag and putting travel size shampoo, tooth brushes, hair brushes, toothpaste, a sewing kit, pen, paper pad, washcloth, soap, and maybe a treat like candy or something, maybe a 5 dollar gift card to Subway or something, putting it in your glove box, or purse/briefcase and handing them out.
Good idea. I've given food to people before, and they say, "What would I want with that?" (Alcoholics don't each much.)

One time it was a person I later saw on the town's Wanted postings -- showing that some people don't want to be found.

But back to giving as a Christian, yes -- Jesus was clear on it, and the Laws of Moses were too. We are not to love our own lives so much that we would deny others a blessing. Life is not a competition, in the kingdom of God. When we leave this earth, all those possessions mean nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0