Should Christians forgive others even if they are terrorists or atheists?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,875.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's absolute. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. The condition of our being forgiven is out ability to forgive others and I firmly believe God can save even the most wretched of individuals. If we can't forgive those God has potentially forgiven how can we not expect the same treatment in return?

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Is it an absolute?
Yes, forgive or you will not be forgiven.
Matt 6:14-15
14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
It's absolute. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. The condition of our being forgiven is out ability to forgive others and I firmly believe God can save even the most wretched of individuals. If we can't forgive those God has potentially forgiven how can we not expect the same treatment in return?

Former lifelong atheist here. If God can save me then I'm certain that He can save anybody. I was not particularly depraved or degenerate, however, but rather just angry and bitter at everything.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is absolute, but can be very difficult practically speaking, especially if you, yourself, have been hurt, or suffered loss. But yes, we must forgive. What that looks like and how God brings that about in our souls may be different depending on the case. You may forgive someone, but may not trust them, especially in cases where a crime has been committed, and there is no apparent remorse. Or, in cases where bad behavior does not seem to stop.

In other cases, as in forgiving abuse, forgiveness may feel like more of a process / journey. Old feelings, anger, hatred, disgust, sadness, may boil up sometimes. We have to deal with those as they come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We discussed this on Sunday.
I used to say yes instantly but now I think this was said in the context of forgiving when WE have been wronged which we all should do of course.
We are firmly told if we don't we also won't be forgiven.
But the only one who can forgive all things is God.
I can't forgive a terrorist for example because it wasn't done to me.
I CAN be sorry it happened, but forgiveness would have to come from the victim/s or God because that is ultimately what it is:against God.
I CAN pray for the perpetrator that they see the error of their ways and come before God before it is too late for them.
This applies for sex offenders etc.
This makes so much more sense to me than just a blanket I forgive everyone.

Do I forgive Hitler? Should I? I have had some Christians say we should.
No I do not, the only one who can are the Jews because he set to wipe them off the earth. And of course God.
And he would have to have asked forgiveness.
Well that's my take.

Forgive anyone who you have something against. Pray for the person who has done evil that they would repent and seek forgiveness.
For everyone will stand before the judgement of God.
Those in Christ have had the penalty paid and He will accept.
Those not in Christ will not.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pink318

Mar 23, 2018
Riverside
✟13,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it an absolute?

Hi- Yes, we should forgive so our sins will also be forgiven. The Bible also tells us that in our sins, God will not hear from us. Jesus wants us to be kind to one another, tenderhearted and forgiving one another.
God bless.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,019.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it an absolute?

If they are an atheist, they don't believe there is a God. Whether that means they want to believe but can't, or they refuse to believe; it's between them and God and so the "sin" is not mine to forgive.

If someone was a terrorist and had terrorised or harmed me; it would be hard/painful to forgive, but that does not alter the fact that Jesus told us to.
He told us to love and forgive our enemies and pray for our persecutors, Matthew 5:44-48.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That doesn't mean you let people hurt other people. Christians simply do not have that sort of authority, it's a denial of God's ordering of the world based on law and justice.

We are invited to forgive people, we don't have to. I would never tell a woman that has been raped that she must forgive her rapist or roast in hell, for instance. I'm pretty sure that would not be Jesus' approach.

Atheists simply haven't sinned against Christians, and its wrong to be angry at them. There's nothing to forgive.

Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Is it an absolute?
First of all, freedom of religion protects everyone’s right to believe in God. It also protects the atheists’ right in believing that there is no God. There is nothing to forgive if a person chooses to be an atheist. We can only pray for them.

As for the the terrorist, yes we should forgive them. We should also pray for them in the hopes that the Holy Spirit can change their hearts.

Upvote 0