Should Christians engage in Hebrew rituals?

LowPost42

Friendly Neighbourhood Canuck
Jul 1, 2017
Ontario
✟18,104.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While I was in Jerusalem, I met an interesting Jewish man who, in the course of discussion, mentioned that his view of the Tanakh was that it showed us exactly how God wants to be worshipped, served, etc. His point of view on following the law was that it's how God wants to be treated, not as an impossible yoke.

Given that point of view, might he be onto something? As he is a Jew, I understand. As a Christian (released from the law), is it worth gaining an understanding of the ordinances handed to the Jews in order to further honour God?

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, for starters the central point of Christian worship, The Eucharist, is essentially the Passover meal. Beyond that, vestments have roots in Jewish priestly garments, the liturgy also has roots in how a Jewish worship service was conducted.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever heard of "Adversus judaeos" (against Judaism), by Saint John Chrysostom int the Autumn of 386 AD?
Unfortunately yes. Horrible piece designed to condemn the Sect of the Nazoreans. (Messianic Jews)

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While I was in Jerusalem, I met an interesting Jewish man who, in the course of discussion, mentioned that his view of the Tanakh was that it showed us exactly how God wants to be worshipped, served, etc. His point of view on following the law was that it's how God wants to be treated, not as an impossible yoke.

Given that point of view, might he be onto something? As he is a Jew, I understand. As a Christian (released from the law), is it worth gaining an understanding of the ordinances handed to the Jews in order to further honour God?
He - as a 21st century Jew - is not obeying the law, he makes no sacrifices, has no priests in Aaron's line, and has no temple in which to make sacrifice or have a priest make sacrifice for him. The law requires sacrifice and priests in Aaron's line - read the law and see for yourself that Passover, the day of atonement, and all the other feast days have sacrifices.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The very first council of the Church (ACTS 15) dealt with the "Incident at Antion".

The council proclaimed Christians did not have to follow Mosaic law and could ignore the Judaizers.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Yeah it can be beneficial to participate in certain Jewish practices so long as they're understood in the proper light. For example, there's a Mennonite group in Pennsylvania that has created a replica of the tabernacle for educational purposes. It can be a beneficial thing to go see, touch, and smell that kind of thing. It'll enhance your understanding of the "elementary principles" that the New Testament talks about. Same with OT feasts like the Feast of Booths.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Should Christians engage in Hebrew rituals?

I would say no, tho non Christian Jews that do come to Christ will most likely continue in Judaism, IMHO. [Too bad this isn't a poll thread]

Luke 5:
37 "And no one is casting Young/neon <3501> Wine into Old skins, if yet no surely shall be ruined the Young/neoV <3501> wine of the skins, and it shall be being poured-out and its skin shall be perishing.
38 but Young/neon <3501> Wine into New/kainouV <2537> skins is to be cast and both are preserved together.
39 and no one drinking Old immediately is willing Young, for he is saying, 'for the the Old is kind/mellow'"

Hebrews 8:13 in the to be saying `New/kainhn <2537>,' He hath made Old the first.
The yet being aged and being obsolete nigh of disappearance

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD
The Destruction Of JERUSALEM
An Absolute and Irresistible PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF CHRISTIANITY:

..........The Temple now presented little more than a heap of ruins and the Roman army as in triumph on the event, came and reared their ensigns against a fragment of the eastern gate, and, with sacrifices of thanksgiving, proclaimed the imperial majesty of Titus, with every possible demonstration of joy.
Thus terminated the glory and existence of this sacred and venerable Edifice,.......................
Having knowledge of Jewish rituals is fine.
Integrating them into Christian worship and spiritual life, no.
Agreed..........

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
OT rituals for the purpose of education and enhanced knowledge of Scripture - Yes.

OT rituals for the purpose of divine worship - No.
The reason why it would be a mistake to return to OT forms of worship is that the appearance of Jesus Christ has radically altered the way that we corporately worship God.
Excellent posts!

Heb 10:1
For the law having a shadow of the coming good things -- not the very image of the matters, every year, by the same sacrifices that they offer continually, is never able to make perfect those coming near,

Studies In The Scriptures - Tabernacle Shadows - Chapter 1

TABERNACLE SHADOWS OF THE BETTER SACRIFICES

CHAPTER I

THE TYPICAL TABERNACLE

The Camp--The Court--The Tabernacle--The Brazen Altar--The Laver-- The Table--The Lampstand--The Golden Altar--The Mercy Seat and Ark--The Gate--The First Veil--The Second Veil--The Significance of These and Their Antitypes.

.....Realizing God's care in making the "shadow" should not only give us confidence in its correctness, that not one jot or tittle of it shall fail until all be fulfilled (`Matt. 5:18`), but should also awaken in us so great an interest in God's plan as would lead us to examine closely and search carefully for the meaning of those shadows.
And this, with God's promised blessing, we now purpose to do, assured that among those who are truly God's consecrated ones--his children begotten of his Spirit--"he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened."..............

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...is it worth gaining an understanding of the ordinances handed to the Jews in order to further honour God?

If you do it to honor God, I think it is ok. If you do it to gain salvation, I think that is not reasonable.

And about religious worship, I think this is the best:

Pure religion [religious worship] and undefiled before our God and Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
James 1:27

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's been said that the best commentary on the New Testament is the Old Testament, and the best commentary on the Old Testament is the New Testament. There's a lot of understanding that is to be gained from the OT types, but ultimately they are but shadows of the NT reality. The current move toward understanding our OT roots adds depth to our faith, but when it becomes Judaizing we have a major problem. Paul was clear to Peter at Antioch that even Jews don't keep the Law (Gal 2).

Upvote 0