SHOULD CHRISTIANS CELBRATE HALLOWEEN?

Would you, those who say they are Christian, give up Halloween for Christ?

• I would give up Halloween.

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • I would not give up Halloween

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Here are some commentaries regarding this issue. I have posted one of the links before on other threads, but along with it are some different ones I have found. IMO, they provide excellent insight from Christian perspectives, and if anything, is good reading material to read in spare time.

I wish not to debate, only provide a little food for thought.

A Biblical view of Christmas A Biblical view of Easter A Biblical view of Halloween

Halloween - Is it a Romans 14 issue? :: Beyond Sunday

Halloween and Romans 14

Wine, Halloween, and What I Learned About Romans 14

• Informative
Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here are some commentaries regarding this issue. I have posted one of the links before on other threads, but along with it are some different ones I have found. IMO, they provide excellent insight from Christian perspectives, and if anything, is good reading material to read in spare time.

A Biblical view of Christmas A Biblical view of Easter A Biblical view of Halloween

Halloween and Romans 14

Yep, that first article pretty much sums it up more elaborately than I ever could. I like the last part:

"Many well-meaning parents are consumed with keeping their children away from whatever they speculate might dishonor God, but in doing so they fail to present an attractive faith to their children. Such children often grow up with the picture that Christianity is chiefly about avoiding “harmful” stuff. This type of faith is not the beautiful faith presented by our Lord. He preached holiness and eternal judgment like no one else, yet he attracted to himself the worst of sinners. He blasted the Pharisees for their preoccupation with what they thought honored or dishonored God, as well as for their legalistic view of avoiding corruption, but the prostitutes, tax collectors, and other “sinners” felt safe with him. As parents we must be careful of misrepresenting the gospel of our Savior to our children. If we want them to follow Christ into their adult years it is critical that they find in us the love of the Savior."

Thanks for the links.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yep, that first article pretty much sums it up more elaborately than I ever could. I like the last part:

"Many well-meaning parents are consumed with keeping their children away from whatever they speculate might dishonor God, but in doing so they fail to present an attractive faith to their children. Such children often grow up with the picture that Christianity is chiefly about avoiding “harmful” stuff. This type of faith is not the beautiful faith presented by our Lord. He preached holiness and eternal judgment like no one else, yet he attracted to himself the worst of sinners. He blasted the Pharisees for their preoccupation with what they thought honored or dishonored God, as well as for their legalistic view of avoiding corruption, but the prostitutes, tax collectors, and other “sinners” felt safe with him. As parents we must be careful of misrepresenting the gospel of our Savior to our children. If we want them to follow Christ into their adult years it is critical that they find in us the love of the Savior."

Thanks for the links.

You're welcome. I personally haven't been celebrating for the past few years simply because I have no desire (except for watching "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"), but I see it as just one of those issues that Christians interpret differently.

God bless you. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
With Halloween quickly approaching I was wondering if Christians should celebrate it?
Do you know its origin?
Does it glorify darkness as far as what you see in media and television?
Does it break the first commandment?, " Thou shalt not have strange gods before me".
When people say it is just make believe, does this mean that Satan does not have creative entertainment? Is Halloween the imaginative entertainment of the jezebel spirit?
Is it a pagan celebration of darkness?
Are we called to be of the light?​
Well, every day is evil, but we can redeem it (Eph 5:16)

Upvote 0

One Of The Elect

May 26, 2017
Albany
✟20,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for the links.

There is no speculation, it is what it is. Appeasement is the spirit of insincerity. Are you saying that Christ wants us to celebrate Halloween? The quote above is nothing but a sell out, the precepts of man are just that- the precepts of man . So you find a website that supports what you want to do and it becomes for you the Word of God? Sinners felt safe with Christ if they stopped the sin in which they were in. He called sinners to be Saints not to remain sinners. Read what you posted. Sinners, are not comfortable with Christ. That is why you are rejecting an obvious truth. Sinners are comfortable with the host of Halloween. Many malign the way of truth for their false understanding and interpretation of who Christ is. This is Christianity 101, some things are elementary. Celebrating Halloween breaks the first commandment.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I look at Halloween as just one more pagan redeemed by Jesus. :wave:
tulc(just like this pagan was redeemed by Him) :)

I would have said that about Christmas, but not Halloween (No religious themes inserted into that one). The correct way to redeem Hindu cow worship is to hold a barbecue. The way to redeem a pagan winter solstice is to remember the birth of Christ. Halloween was just mellowed a little bit, but it was never redeemed.

nonaeroterraqueous (hoping God redeems you better than he redeemed Halloween):holy:

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no speculation, it is what it is. Appeasement is the spirit of insincerity. Are you saying that Christ wants us to celebrate Halloween? The quote above is nothing but a sell out, the precepts of man are just that- the precepts of man . So you find a website that supports what you want to do and it becomes for you the Word of God? Sinners felt safe with Christ if they stopped the sin in which they were in. He called sinners to be Saints not to remain sinners. Read what you posted. Sinners, are not comfortable with Christ. That is why you are rejecting an obvious truth. Sinners are comfortable with the host of Halloween. Many malign the way of truth for their false understanding and interpretation of who Christ is. This is Christianity 101, some things are elementary. Celebrating Halloween breaks the first commandment.

Nonsense. Exactly how does handing out candy to children dressed in costumes break the first commandment?

Upvote 0

One Of The Elect

May 26, 2017
Albany
✟20,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, every day is evil, but we can redeem it (Eph 5:16)

Halloween and Romans 14

False interpretation, you do not even know what Paul was talking about . He is talking about keeping the Lords day,( The Sabbath )not just any day. He was addressing Jew and Gentile how Jews honor the Lord of the Sabbath and the Romans (Gentiles put no stock in the day) so, he is saying honor everyday in the Lord, Yeshua (Jesus) the Christ. Not Satan. When he says welcome a man weak in faith he is saying all are welcome to learn the truth of Yeshua and in communion with those whose faith is stronger the weaker can become more sound.

When he talks about what food people eat, he is saying - because people have different beliefs as to the food they can and can not eat, people should eat in thanks giving to the Lord . And not squabble over such matters. He was settling a dispute between Jew and Roman. The same way he was saying make all days for the Lord. He is not saying let the pagan remain a pagan. That makes no sense. All the saints are to convert pagans. St. Paul wanted to help remove the judgements the Jews had for the Gentile so as to bring in the Gentiles to the faith.

Here is the meat of the Gospel, Christ is judge and he sees ones heart, people who compromise truth for mans precepts ( especially, as those lukewarm in the faith do) do not like anything that is too hard for them to apply. They do not like to wrestle with satan. Rev. 3 "I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I would that you were cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm , and neither cold or hot I will spew you out of my mouth." Make a choice you can not have it both ways, if you remain lukewarm Christ will make the choice for you. He would actually prefer to be rejected totally than have to put up with ones infidelity because it grieves His heart.

If one does not want to fully embrace truth then move on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

One Of The Elect

May 26, 2017
Albany
✟20,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing with Halloween, just a bunch of fundamentalist who think everyone should follow their way so thy started myths that gullible evangelicals fall for all the time.

Meaning what? That you fall for it? And Christians stand against it?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
False interpretation, you do not even know what Paul was talking about . He is talking about keeping the Lords day,( The Sabbath )not just any day. He was addressing Jew and Gentile how Jews honor the Lord of the Sabbath and the Romans (Gentiles put no stock in the day) so, he is saying honor everyday in the Lord, Yeshua (Jesus) the Christ. Not Satan. When he says welcome a man weak in faith he is saying all are welcome to learn the truth of Yeshua and in communion with those whose faith is stronger the weaker can become more sound.

When he talks about what food people eat, he is saying - because people have different beliefs as to the food they can and can not eat, people should eat in thanks giving to the Lord . And not squabble over such matters. He was settling a dispute between Jew and Roman. The same way he was saying make all days for the Lord. He is not saying let the pagan remain a pagan. That makes no sense. All the saints are to convert pagans. St. Paul wanted to help remove the judgements the Jews had for the Gentile so as to bring in the Gentiles to the faith.

Here is the meat of the Gospel, Christ is judge and he sees ones heart, people who compromise truth for mans precepts ( especially, as those lukewarm in the faith do) do not like anything that is too hard for them to apply. They do not like to wrestle with satan. Rev. 3 "I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I would that you were cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm , and neither cold or hot I will spew you out of my mouth." Make a choice you can not have it both ways, if you remain lukewarm Christ will make the choice for you. He would actually prefer to be rejected totally than have to put up with ones infidelity because it grieves His heart.

I read a lot of pride, it makes it hard to read the sentences in english.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Meaning what? That you fall for it? And Christians stand against it?

On the contrary the gullible rail against it because they want to appear holy. I don't sweet it because there is nothing wrong with Halloween

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

One Of The Elect

May 26, 2017
Albany
✟20,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense. Exactly how does handing out candy to children dressed in costumes break the first commandment?

Seriously? Are you even paying attention? You are just playing coy. You know exactly what Christians are talking about. Put your love glasses on and look around your neighborhood , look at your local stores, turn on a television. You know what we are saying. You can continue to play make believe, some things are just self evident. You can deny the writing on the wall all you want or in this case the embellishments and decor. Answer these questions: (you may want to get a dictionary and bible to.) 1 What are witches? 2 What are ghost? 3 What are demons? 4 What does the bible say about them? 5 What day is the witches , those of occult practices "High Time" Highest day of power and worship?

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's SOOOOOOOOO many other things a Christian can be doing that doesn't put them in a situation of negotiating things. Like have a night out, or invite friends over and have a gathering. Play charades, or make it a game night.

Most of those examples you gave are what people actually do for Halloween. Get together with friends and family, go out, do gatherings, make game nights. :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The way to redeem a pagan winter solstice is to remember the birth of Christ. Halloween was just mellowed a little bit, but it was never redeemed.
Well, we do sing "For All the Saints" in church, and decorate the church with colors appropriate for a festival, and have readings and sermons that call us to remember the famous saints of the past and the not-famous-but-still-beloved saints of our own recent past. All Saints' Day isn't as prominent a feast as Christmas, but it's definitely part of the church calendar, so I'd say the pagan autumnal observance was redeemed at least a little.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
images

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Seriously? Are you even paying attention? You are just playing coy. You know exactly what Christians are talking about. Put your love glasses on and look around your neighborhood , look at your local stores, turn on a television. You know what we are saying. You can continue to play make believe, some things are just self evident. You can deny the writing on the wall all you want or in this case the embellishments and decor. Answer these questions: (you may want to get a dictionary and bible to.) 1 What are witches? 2 What are ghost? 3 What are demons? 4 What does the bible say about them? 5 What day is the witches , those of occult practices "High Time" Highest day of power and worship?
As to your question(s) many consider them make believe and the source of some entertaining children's fiction, or fantasy and not really real...

The adults with their children on Halloween anyway (most of them)...

As for the very few that actually take it seriously, those both for and against Halloween, most think they are delusional... And do not do that like they do...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

I understand totally what you're saying. But the first verse of Romans 14 speaks of "doubtful disputations", which the eating of meat and the observing of days is used as examples. I am not using the Scripture as an "excuse to condone paganism", but allowing that there can be different convictions on a variety of things. I believe the Word of God is infallible, but sometimes certain Scriptures can stand out to us in various ways, as God speaks to us on an individual level. He deals with us one-on-one, as well as a corporate body. That's what I honestly believe.

What I can see here, with an open mind, is that there are Christians who may hold parties and celebrations on October 31 which just happens to be Halloween. But the parties don't involve anything that the occultists actually use that day to do. It's just people playing games, eating candy, and dressing in costumes. Some churches even have an alternative to this, called Harvest celebrations, in which they do the same activities, and specify that all costumes should not be anything scary or immoral. Even many conservative Christians, though they won't celebrate for themselves, will not bring themselves to judge their friends who do. Some of the links I posted were written by such individuals.

I have already said I did not want to debate. However, I do not appreciate the "lukewarm" implication or the talking down to me as though I'm a heathen who doesn't care about serving Christ. You do not know my heart. I revere you as a sister in Christ though we clearly disagree on this matter. I only hope that you would choose to respect me as a sister in Christ as well.

I encourage you (or anyone who might be interested) to read this:

How Can We Agree to Disagree on Theological Issues?

Now I am willing to move on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0