SHOULD CHRISTIANS CELBRATE HALLOWEEN?

Would you, those who say they are Christian, give up Halloween for Christ?

• I would give up Halloween.

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • I would not give up Halloween

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Going by some peoples replies, we christians should also play Oujia because its just a game that you play for fun. We should read books about spells because its just fiction. We should dress up as satan because its just a costume for fun at a party. We should flirt with the other sex when married because its just done out "fun", no harm.

Now before people are like "Those are diffrent though!". No they are not. If you have to reason with people and make an excuse why something is ok to do, especially when saying "It fun", then it shows you know its wrong but don't want to accept it. Heck look at divroce, people come up with all sorts of reasons on why its ok to divroce and marry someone else.

God forgive us as christians and how we let our fleshy desires win out of Your word! Thank You that you are so forgiving and patient with us! That includes me to since I am not perfect at all and never will even approach being close.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With Halloween quickly approaching I was wondering if Christians should celebrate it?
Do you know its origin?
Does it glorify darkness as far as what you see in media and television?
Does it break the first commandment?, " Thou shalt not have strange gods before me".
When people say it is just make believe, does this mean that Satan does not have creative entertainment? Is Halloween the imaginative entertainment of the jezebel spirit?
Is it a pagan celebration of darkness?
Are we called to be of the light?​

Do not celebrate Halloween as it is a pagan and really satanic holiday rooted in samhain. Those who believe this is all saints day have not really studied the roots.

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With Halloween quickly approaching I was wondering if Christians should celebrate it?
Do you know its origin?
Does it break the first commandment?, " Thou shalt not have strange gods before me".
When people say it is just make believe, does this mean that Satan does not have creative entertainment? Is Halloween the imaginative entertainment of the jezebel spirit?

ACCORDING TO HISTORY.COM: Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a secular, community-based event characterized by child-friendly activities such as trick-or-treating. In a number of countries around the world, as the days grow shorter and the nights get colder, people continue to usher in the winter season with gatherings, costumes and sweet treats.
so to answer your question,it depends how you celebrate it. I dressed as a priest back in high school. so it all depends on where your heart is at, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do not celebrate Halloween as it is a pagan and really satanic holiday rooted in samhain. Those who believe this is all saints day have not really studied the roots.

the youths have no knowledge of its beginnings or origins. and see it as a fun time to get some candy, let it be festive in that context. the "linguistics" of holidays are always subject to change according to the independent interests of certain people

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Halloween? You mean there's another holiday on October 31st?

reformation-day52.jpeg

Lol for yrs our church called the harvest party at church Reformation day.

Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would prefer all-hallows, or all saints day, on November first.

I don't do Halloween.

It's very good to take a day to reflect on both the martyrs and those that are "dead in Christ" which is what the Christian version of Halloween is all about. It really puts things into perspective in our present age of the lukewarm...

Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lol for yrs our church called the harvest party at church Reformation day.
harvest parties that escape pagan ritual by participating in pagan ritual lol. Every one I have been to was just a Halloween party lol.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you know its origin?
I don't celebrate Halloween anymore, but back when I had kids and a family, I kinda did, and if I had a family with kids, of the appropriate age, I might let them play dress up and take them out trick or treating, IDK...?

But, at the appropriate age, or if and when they ask, I would tell them the truth about it, and then see if they want to still take part in it or not, and would tell them it's mainly for young kids, much like Santa Clause is...

I would explain to them at the appropriate time, that our culture took a lot of what in our belief, is pagan holidays, with pagan beliefs and mixed them with our own in an effort to "Christianize" them, cause the people of the day would not be drawn in any other way, and they, for some reason, thought this was excellent way to draw those people into Christianity and to be Christians...

Many Pagan beliefs are very ugly and dark, Especially Hollow's Eve.. and we thought we could make them better, and many of our holiday's are a result of that...

I would let the Holy Spirit guide me in the moment's with my Child when it came to holiday's but I would tell them the truth and let them decide...

But, there is no reason to celebrate it and I do not think you should still celebrate it when your adult, or young adult... It's mainly for kids...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you know its origin?

Of course Christians don't celebrate Halloween. But many Christians have fun with it and do so as harmlessly as having fun with Santa Claus, Rudolph, and all the silly fun of Christmas customs and legends. I have a hard time being legalistic about things like that.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
harvest parties that escape pagan ritual by participating in pagan ritual lol. Every one I have been to was just a Halloween party lol.
Yes, the irony is inescapable. The church sponsors Halloween "alternatives" for kids by participating/observing this occult holiday claiming that they are "redeeming" this practice and thus making it safe for the kiddies. That's like saying we won't call a ouija board for what it is and claim that we have redeemed it thus making it okay to participate in. One can't claim to redeem something that is inherently unredeemable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the youths have no knowledge of its beginnings or origins. and see it as a fun time to get some candy, let it be festive in that context. the "linguistics" of holidays are always subject to change according to the independent interests of certain people

So because people are ignorant to what goes on during and leading up to Halloween and where it really comes from it is ok?

3 John 1:11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

1 Corinthians 10:21 ESV
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.

Ephesians 5:11 ESV
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

3 John 1:11 ESV
Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 ESV
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”

Romans 12:2 ESV
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't celebrate Halloween anymore, but back when I had kids and a family, I kinda did, and if I had a family with kids, of the appropriate age, I might let them play dress up and take them out trick or treating, IDK...?

But, at the appropriate age, or if and when they ask, I would tell them the truth about it, and then see if they want to still take part in it or not, and would tell them it's mainly for young kids, much like Santa Clause is...

I would explain to them at the appropriate time, that our culture took a lot of what in our belief, is pagan holidays, with pagan beliefs and mixed them with our own in an effort to "Christianize" them, cause the people of the day would not be drawn in any other way, and they, for some reason, thought this was excellent way to draw those people into Christianity and to be Christians...

Many Pagan beliefs are very ugly and dark, Especially Hollow's Eve.. and we thought we could make them better, and many of our holiday's are a result of that...

I would let the Holy Spirit guide me in the moment's with my Child when it came to holiday's but I would tell them the truth and let them decide...

But, there is no reason to celebrate it and I do not think you should still celebrate it when your adult, or young adult... It's mainly for kids...

God Bless!
It worked for the most part, the majority of people who are involved in these holiday's, for them it is no longer a day about all those pagan practices it used to be about long ago...

Those days, have been reduced to something fun for young children, and for the most part, that is basically all they are about now, and have been reduced too...

Some few do practice dark things on Hallows Eve though, more so in other countries, and some few here, but they are a general non-concern for most...

They have been reduced to children's playdays for the most part...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
. One can't claim to redeem something that is inherently unredeemable.
I agree with everything up to that.

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

I don't celebrate Halloween, and I do that for the Lord. But if someone else celebrates Halloween and dedicates it to the Lord then blessings to them. My faith is also strong enough that I can join brothers and sisters at such an event and not be offended about it (and I'm not saying you are either). At the end of the day, all "games" are pagan rituals but nothing is irredeemable save blaspheming the Holy Spirit, and we have freedom in Jesus Christ. When someone, however ignorant or intelligent we may think they are is led by the Holy Spirit to do something with pure intentions we shouldnt judge (form opionions about it). This is one of the greatest and easiest sins for believers to fall into (judging, discouraging, and stumbling each other). I think we all do it at some point and "officialized/orthodox" doctrines and theology are the main cause. I think Romans 14 is one of the most ignored and/or butchered scriptures in the Bible lol... And by simply saying that I have just exposed my own hipocrasy by forming an opinion about official doctrine and orthodoxy when, for all I know, it was all done in faith from pure hearts and intentions =)

Ah the mysteries of God...

• Haha
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if Christians should celebrate it?

This is a Romans 14:5 kind of topic.

Do you know its origin?

Origins don't matter unless you think they do.

It glorifies a comical version of perceived darkness.

Does it break the first commandment?

No. No one is out worshiping a witch or a vampire.

Is Halloween the imaginative entertainment of the jezebel spirit?

No.

Doesn't matter.

Are we called to be of the light?

Of course, but not in a literal sense. We aren't called to all wear white and have bright lamps in our houses. Just as it is not sinful to wear black and only have candlelight (dark houses). The Light is the light of love, of Jesus Himself living on the inside. Keep in mind Jesus was accused of being a glutton and winebibber. His first miracle was at a celebration where He turned water into wine for people who were already probably drunk. It seems to me more important to love people and enjoy life than to try and stop Halloween.

In saying this, I voted that I do not plan to celebrate Halloween.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with everything up to that.

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

I don't celebrate Halloween, and I do that for the Lord. But if someone else celebrates Halloween and dedicates it to the Lord then blessings to them. My faith is also strong enough that I can join brothers and sisters at such an event and not be offended about it (and I'm not saying you are either). At the end of the day, all "games" are pagan rituals but nothing is irredeemable save blaspheming the Holy Spirit, and we have freedom in Jesus Christ. When someone, however ignorant or intelligent we may think they are is led by the Holy Spirit to do something with pure intentions we shouldnt judge (form opionions about it). This is one of the greatest and easiest sins for believers to fall into (judging, discouraging, and stumbling each other). I think we all do it at some point and "officialized/orthodox" doctrines and theology are the main cause. I think Romans 14 is one of the most ignored and/or butchered scriptures in the Bible lol... And by simply saying that I have just exposed my own hipocrasy by forming an opinion about official doctrine and orthodoxy when, for all I know, it was all done in faith from pure hearts and intentions =)

Ah the mysteries of God...
Explain how exactly does one "celebrate Halloween and dedicate it to the Lord." Your logic is faulty as one can so something in sincererity, but be sincerely wrong. One cannot celebrate Halloween and dedicate it to the Lord any more than one can celebrate a Black Mass and dedicate it to the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It ain't worth it. Sorry for killing the fun.

There's SOOOOOOOOO many other things a Christian can be doing that doesn't put them in a situation of negotiating things. Like have a night out, or invite friends over and have a gathering. Play charades, or make it a game night. Witness to others about God. Take a nap. The amount of information about the dark things that goes on that day and literally every practice done in celebrating Halloween is connected to a dark ritual, and we wanna be blind-sided because that costume looks cute, and the day is fun? Because its not made in law in the Word of God, that its just ok?!?!Festivities are not requirements, I see the peer pressure of not "missing out", or "being the downer dumps" of this world, but now lol, is not the time to throw caution out the window.

Ain't nobody dedicating their celebration of Halloween to the Lord by dressing up and getting candy. Please.Come on. Let's get real. Let's stop this madness, appealing to the flesh and lying to ourselves about it.

So many other things we could be doing...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you know its origin?
It has already been said by others so I just give my agreement. Origins do matter even if one is ignorant of the origin. The feast of Samhain is a druidic ritual of the dead. Demons still know what it is since they do not die and were there during the origin of the un-holy-day.

There is absolutely no good in Halloween. What are children being taught? That they can get free candy for wearing a costume and going door to door? Is this preparing them to be Jehovah Witnesses or traveling salesmen? Certainly enriches the dental profession with all that sugar rotting their teeth.

Fall festivals are no better. Now we teach the children to worship Gaia instead. Even though All Saints Day is Nov 1st, (just the Catholic absorption of the druidic day of the dead), why not celebrate saints of the past by dressing up as saints? Especially since Martin Luther nailed his Thesis on the Wittenberg chapel door on Oct 31, 1517. This year it is the 500th anniversary, so it is more compelling to do so. As someone else suggested, they can play "pin the thesis on the door".

Despite the claim of the another writer, there is nothing positive or edifying about Halloween. As the story has been said before, some kids wanted to see an R rated movie. They argued with their father about the good in the movie. So the father said, let me do something first. So the dad baked some brownies and offered them to the kids. But before they ate he said, Now I want you to know about the good in these brownies. I used the best chocolate available, and all the finest ingredients we had. However, I added just a little dog poop, but you shouldn't mind because of all the other fine ingredients, right? They refused the brownies. Even if there is some positive element to Halloween, the negatives still make the activity bad.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I created a post on this subject a while back and after reading all the different views I've come up with this:

Halloween to me is just another traditional event for people to take a break from normalcy and have a little harmless fun. Like anything else, it's the intent behind it. Just like going through a haunted house, it's just for fun. God knows our hearts.

Now, if you dress like a monster and walk down the sidewalk with the thoughts of murdering everyone that's different. However, it wouldn't matter if you're wearing a costume, or not! It's the motive behind it.

Christians don't have to be boring and stuffy people who are afraid to leave the lights on and hide in their homes. I don't think Jesus ever intended us to be like that! Sure, there might be pagan roots behind a lot of things in life but it doesn't mean we think of those days the same way any longer. I don't put up a Christmas tree in our home to nab little children to sacrifice under it. Yet, some say that's what a tree in the home represents. It's rather comical to me.

Anyway, I look forward to Halloween and sitting in the driveway, fellowshipping with our neighbors next to a warm fire while enjoying the children and their unique costumes as we pass out rocks. (kidding) Candy.

:lollipop:

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I created a post on this subject a while back and after reading all the different views I've come up with this:

Halloween to me is just another traditional event for people to take a break from normalcy and have a little harmless fun. Like anything else, it's the intent behind it. Just like going through a haunted house, it's just for fun. God knows our hearts.

Now, if you dress like a monster and walk down the sidewalk with the thoughts of murdering everyone that's different. However, it wouldn't matter if you're wearing a costume, or not! It's the motive behind it.

Christians don't have to be boring and stuffy people who are afraid to leave the lights on and hide in their homes. I don't think Jesus ever intended us to be like that! Sure, there might be pagan roots behind a lot of things in life but it doesn't mean we think of those days the same way any longer. I don't put up a Christmas tree in our home to nab little children to sacrifice under it. Yet, some say that's what a tree in the home represents. It's rather comical to me.

Anyway, I look forward to Halloween and sitting in the driveway, fellowshipping with our neighbors next to a warm fire while enjoying the children and their unique costumes as we pass out rocks. (kidding) Candy.

:lollipop:

Define "harmless".

• Prayers
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Halloween for most people is not about Pagan worship anymore, it is about kids dressing up and playing pretend to be something they are not...

Kids get to choose what they want dress up as and pretend to be for that night, and go out to show off their costumes and play pretend as it, and get candy...

Each ones own conscience should be their guide in these matters though, for this is a dual-sided issue, each entitled to their own opinions on it, and to have it that way in their home...

Let no one judge you as to new moons or festivals (Colossians 2:16)

The meat offered to idols that Paul mentions may also be like Celebrating certain holiday's... It's a matter of conscience...

God Bless!

Upvote 0