SHOULD CHRISTIANS CELBRATE HALLOWEEN?

Would you, those who say they are Christian, give up Halloween for Christ?

• I would give up Halloween.

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • I would not give up Halloween

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I say stop worrying about ancient interpretations of symbols. Who cares what the Celts believed about certain symbols seen at Halloween and Christmas for that matter? Are we bound to look at symbols exactly how the ancients did?
What if the symbols of paganism and occultism still mean the same?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What if the symbols of paganism and occultism still mean the same?
When I see a jack-o-lantern I think of trick or treat, not of anything evil. Oh, and they weren’t carved from pumpkins in ancient times, they were carved from turnips.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With Halloween quickly approaching I was wondering if Christians should celebrate it?
Do you know its origin?
Does it glorify darkness as far as what you see in media and television?
Does it break the first commandment?, " Thou shalt not have strange gods before me".
When people say it is just make believe, does this mean that Satan does not have creative entertainment? Is Halloween the imaginative entertainment of the jezebel spirit?
Is it a pagan celebration of darkness?
Are we called to be of the light?​

Doesn't the Word say What fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial(satan)? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. Therefore come out from them and be seperate, says the Lord.

Reactions: Hizikyah777
Upvote 0

Hizikyah777

Oct 15, 2017
Illinois
✟8,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
With Halloween quickly approaching I was wondering if Christians should celebrate it?
Do you know its origin?
Does it glorify darkness as far as what you see in media and television?
Does it break the first commandment?, " Thou shalt not have strange gods before me".
When people say it is just make believe, does this mean that Satan does not have creative entertainment? Is Halloween the imaginative entertainment of the jezebel spirit?
Is it a pagan celebration of darkness?
Are we called to be of the light?​

No I do not think anyone who follows the Messiah shouls celebrate it.

It's origin; Halloween Written By:The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica

"On October 31 people around the world will celebrate All Hallows’ Eve. Halloween, contraction of All Hallows’ Eve, a holiday observed on October 31, the evening before All Saints’ (or All Hallows’) Day. The celebration marks the day before the Western Christian feast of All Saints and initiates the season of Allhallowtide, which lasts three days and concludes with All Souls’ Day. In much of Europe and most of North America, observance of Halloween is largely nonreligious.

Halloween had its origins in the festival of Samhain among the Celts of ancient Britain and Ireland. On the day corresponding to November 1 on contemporary calendars, the new year was believed to begin. That date was considered the beginning of the winter period, the date on which the herds were returned from pasture and land tenures were renewed. During the Samhain festival the souls of those who had died were believed to return to visit their homes, and those who had died during the year were believed to journey to the otherworld. People set bonfires on hilltops for relighting their hearth fires for the winter and to frighten away evil spirits, and they sometimes wore masks and other disguises to avoid being recognized by the ghosts thought to be present. It was in those ways that beings such as witches, hobgoblins, fairies, and demons came to be associated with the day. The period was also thought to be favourable for divination on matters such as marriage, health, and death. When the Romans conquered the Celts in the 1st century ce, they added their own festivals of Feralia, commemorating the passing of the dead, and of Pomona, the goddess of the harvest.

In the 7th century ce Pope Boniface IV established All Saints’ Day, originally on May 13, and in the following century, perhaps in an effort to supplant the pagan holiday with a Christian observance, it was moved to November 1. The evening before All Saints’ Day became a holy, or hallowed, eve and thus Halloween..."

It most ceritanly glorifies darkness, look at any part of it, it is all death and darkness.

It probably does break the 1st Commandment also it is a distraction frim the Messiah;

Colossians 2:8, “See to it that no one makes a prey of you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary matters of the world, and not according to Messiah.”

I think it is people self justification to say "it's make believe or no big deal" Where does it end? One could do anything in oppisition to the Creator and excuse away their error.

It is definitly Jezebel spirit;

Revelation 2:20, "But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols."

Halloween candy... excuse away but when do we begin to listen to Him?

Pagan? Yes;
Strange Stories, Amazing Facts, 1980, by the Readers’ Digest Association,

The festival of Halloween originated in a pagan celebration, even though its name derives from the Christian festival of All Hallows’ or All Saints’ Eve. It was introduced in the seventh century to commemorate all those saints and martyrs who had no special day to themselves and was held on May 13. But in the eighth century All Hallows’ Day was moved to November 1, to counteract the pagan celebrations held on that date. October 31, the eve of November 1, was the last night of the year in the ancient Celtic calendar and was celebrated as the end of summer and its fruitfulness. It was a festival that the Celts of northern Europe marked with bonfires, to help the sun through the winter. Winter also called to mind the chill and blackness of the grave, and so it was a time when ghosts would walk, and supernatural spirits, warlocks, and witches would hold their revels. Only since the late 18th and early 19th centuries has Halloween developed into a festive time for children, with costumes, lanterns, and games.

1 John/Yahanan 1:5-7, “And this is the message which we have heard from Him and announce to you, that YHWH is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and are not doing the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of יהושע Messiah His Son cleanses us from all sin.”

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Doesn't the Word say What fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial(satan)? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. Therefore come out from them and be seperate, says the Lord.
But Halloween is a Christian Holiday. Samhain is the corresponding Wiccan holiday which marks the New Year and is the most important Wiccan Sabbat.

Upvote 0

Punchukis

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
✟15,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
You should ask yourself: What do we Christians ''celebrate'' on Halloween? God's Love? Freedom? Jesus Birth? Jesus sacrifice? None of them and seems to me that nobody knows. I don't celebrate things that I don't know, specially if the celebration or party has to be at night only.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You should ask yourself: What do we Christians ''celebrate'' on Halloween? God's Love? Freedom? Jesus Birth? Jesus sacrifice? None of them and seems to me that nobody knows. I don't celebrate things that I don't know, specially if the celebration or party has to be at night only.

Halloween is the eve of All Saints (just as Christmas Eve is the eve of Christmas). On All Saints we celebrate the lives and memory of all the saints who came before us. We celebrate the fact that in Jesus death has been defeated and that we have life in Him, and that there is the great cloud of witnesses surrounding us as we run the race, cheering us on, pointing us forward to Christ, the Author and Finisher of our faith..

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Halloween is the day they celebrate death.
Most of the children I see out on Halloween are out with their friends collecting candy. They are not celebrating death. Adults who attend Halloween parties are likewise enjoying the company of their friends. I have never been to an adult Halloween party where anyone consulted a Ouija board or performed a human sacrifice. And, again, Halloween is a Christian holiday--All Hallows' Eve.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most of the children I see out on Halloween are out with their friends collecting candy. They are not celebrating death. Adults who attend Halloween parties are likewise enjoying the company of their friends. I have never been to an adult Halloween party where anyone consulted a Ouija board or performed a human sacrifice. And, again, Halloween is a Christian holiday--All Hallows' Eve.

No sir. It is a bad seed planted which when brought to fruition leads to more ungodliness, and death in the end. It is a deception.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No sir. It is a bad seed planted which when brought to fruition leads to more ungodliness, and death in the end. It is a deception.
Care to explain how collecting candy is a bad seed planted that will lead to ungodliness and death? Unless you are talking about death from obesity that really makes no sense.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

You have it backward. The Feast of All Saints isn't a celebration of death, but of life. Or have you not read the Scripture where Christ our Lord says, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die." (John 11:25-26). Death is defeated because Christ our Lord and God has conquered it, and all who live in Him live forever; those who having fallen asleep in the Lord are not truly dead, they live and reign with Christ even now, for no one who is in Christ ever truly dies; the death of the body is a temporal thing that is but a moment from the eyes of eternity; for the day is coming when the dead shall rise and God will make all things new, and we shall ever be with the Lord, world without end.

All Saints is the celebration of life, the life that we have in Christ who has conquered sin, death, hell, and the devil and who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Care to explain how collecting candy is a bad seed planted that will lead to ungodliness and death? Unless you are talking about death from obesity that really makes no sense.
You have it backward. The Feast of All Saints isn't a celebration of death, but of life. Or have you not read the Scripture where Christ our Lord says, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die." (John 11:25-26). Death is defeated because Christ our Lord and God has conquered it, and all who live in Him live forever; those who having fallen asleep in the Lord are not truly dead, they live and reign with Christ even now, for no one who is in Christ ever truly dies; the death of the body is a temporal thing that is but a moment from the eyes of eternity; for the day is coming when the dead shall rise and God will make all things new, and we shall ever be with the Lord, world without end.

All Saints is the celebration of life, the life that we have in Christ who has conquered sin, death, hell, and the devil and who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran

Sorry Brothers, but I don't buy it. Kids getting candy sure sounds like an ok thing, but like in the same way that "oh, ouiji boards aren't witchcraft, it's a game by milton bradley..." it is a seed whch leads to more wrong thinking and a wrong path.

I googled it to be sure I wasn't missing something, and sure enough, the first thing I clicked on gave the true origins.

"Halloween’s origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in). The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1.

This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31 they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth.

In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities. During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other’s fortunes.

When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter..."

Ghosts coming back? Sacrifices to Celtic gods? Druids? Protection from Ghosts?...Nope, not this time.

But it's for the children, so it's ok....Uhh, no.

Source: History of Halloween - Halloween - HISTORY.com

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry Brothers, but I don't buy it. Kids getting candy sure sounds like an ok thing, but like in the same way that "oh, ouiji boards aren't witchcraft, it's a game by milton bradley..." it is a seed whch leads to more wrong thinking and a wrong path.

I googled it to be sure I wasn't missing something, and sure enough, the first thing I clicked on gave the true origins.

"Halloween’s origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in). The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1.

This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31 they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth.

In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities. During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other’s fortunes.

When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter..."

Ghosts coming back? Sacrifices to Celtic gods? Druids? Protection from Ghosts?...Nope, not this time.

But it's for the children, so it's ok....Uhh, no.

Source: History of Halloween - Halloween - HISTORY.com

Just out of curiosity, do you celebrate Christmas? After all, it also has began roots.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities. During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other’s fortunes...

Lit a bonfire on Halloween? No
Burn crops on Halloween? No
Sacrifice an animal on Halloween? No
Wear an animal head? No
Wear an animal skin? No (well shoes and belts, of course, if that counts)
Attempt to tell a fortune? Not really (but I did tell my son once if he kept eating candy, he'd be sick)

Beg for candy? Yes
Bob for apples? Yes
Drink apple Cider? Yes
Soap windows? Yes (Forgive me :prayer:)

Not so similar, eh? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Candy (but only candy acquired on Oct 31) is the equivalent of Ouiji boards. They are the gateway to satanism.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Halloween is a Christian Holiday. Samhain is the corresponding Wiccan holiday which marks the New Year and is the most important Wiccan Sabbat.
Halloween is a "christian" holiday only in western countries. It is not practised among christians in other parts of the world. Where is halloween celebrated in the Bible?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Halloween is a "christian" holiday only in western countries. It is not practised among christians in other parts of the world. Where is halloween celebrated in the Bible?

That is because All Hallows Eve and All Saints day are celebrated by the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Lutheran Church and some other Protestant Churches. The Eastern Christian Churches celebrate the Sunday of All Saints in the Spring.

Halloween is not celebrated in the Bible. Neither is Christmas or Easter.

Upvote 0