Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The more important question is what kind of message does it send to the unbelieving world when they see Christians carrying guns? Why would they trust what we say when we claim that our hope and security is found in Christ, while at the same time we are carrying a gun for protection?

I think the message should be that the word Christian doesn’t mean weak or victim.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nobody wants to hurt or kill anybody until they watch their daughter being raped & murdered. Then all that pacifist nature goes right out the window. Maybe pacifists don’t watch the news much but this happens everywhere everyday and those victims thought it would never happen to them. There are some who realize this and take measures to keep their family safe and then there’s those who couldn’t protect their daughter because they didn’t have the means to do so.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟229,568.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maybe we shouldn't lock our doors at night because after all, we wouldn't be trusting God. Maybe we shouldn't stop an attacker or use any type of violence because that wouldn't be trusting God to intervene. Maybe we shouldn't stock up on food or provisions when we see a storm coming that will likely keep us snowed in because that wouldn't be trusting God to provide. Where do we draw the line?
God does give us the knowledge and wisdom to be prudent, but there's a big difference between locking doors and preparing for a Winter storm and carrying a weapon that is designed to kill.

I don't think it's wrong to be prepared to protect yourself, and I don't see how it lacks a trust in God. Just because someone carries a gun doesn't mean they don't trust God. As for the witness to unbelievers, I still think we could explain our position and rightly divide the Word.
The way I see things is that we as followers of Christ are to be imitators of Him. In many ways, our actions speak louder than our words to the unbelieving world. When it comes to self defense, most people today are not faced with a constant threat of danger like Jesus and His disciples were. Yes, there is crime, but when you look at the chances of being a victim, the numbers aren't very scary. The lifetime chances of being murdered in the US are around 0.4%. When it comes to mass shootings the chances of being a victim are around 0.009% and being killed by a terrorist are around 0.002%.

I know its a bit cliche, but when I am unsure about something or a situation I find myself in, I will ask myself, "What would Jesus do?" Since I know the answer to whether or not Jesus would carry a weapon for self defense based on scripture, my decision is not to carry a gun.

We can talk the talk all we want to about being a Christian, but if we are not also walking the walk, people are not going to be able to see Christ in us. I really believe that Christians carrying guns in public damages our personal witness to Christ. I know many will disagree with me, but that's how I feel on this subject.

That's why you conceal carry :)
Good one ;)

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whether Christ whipped the people I don't think that matters in this argument. I believe it is okay for a follower of Christ to be used by the the Lord to be vigilent / protect strangers and family its on my heart to be ready to stand up to evil madmen. honestly you'll be hard pressed to find scripture on this issue, NOT because its not /is allowed. BUT because scripture revolves around the Lord as its his word, why would he speak of something like a random mad man killing/raping etc. the violence in the Bible has to do with 1. NT being persecuted for the Lord's sake or 2. OT Jews being directed by the Lord to take their promise land from the heathens . this is a issue we should take up to the Lord ,to pray on this issue and beg not our will be done. it is the will of God that we seek after. if the Holy Spirit puts it on your heart to be unarmed, perhaps you are not going to be used in a way that requires to be armed . if the Holy Spirit puts it on your heart perhaps the Lord will use you to save others, after which you may share the good news with those who have been given a second chance to see that the Lord wishes for them to come to him instead of letting them be killed. thus never getting anouther chance to accept Christ and be saved this is my 2 cents others may agree others may disagree we should look to the Lord not man !

I'd also like to add, it seems most of the people on here ether never dealt with firearms or are new to them. I grew up with loaded firearms with no locks on them everywhere. I and my brothers never hurt ourselves or another . a firearm is a tool its use depends on the handler .if not providing for your family makes you worse then a infidel what dose allowing a man mad to rape kill your family make you

1 Tim 5:8
King James Bible
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please read my last post and give your input brother
God does give us the knowledge and wisdom to be prudent, but there's a big difference between locking doors and preparing for a Winter storm and carrying a weapon that is designed to kill.

The way I see things is that we as followers of Christ are to be imitators of Him. In many ways, our actions speak louder than our words to the unbelieving world. When it comes to self defense, most people today are not faced with a constant threat of danger like Jesus and His disciples were. Yes, there is crime, but when you look at the chances of being a victim, the numbers aren't very scary. The lifetime chances of being murdered in the US are around 0.4%. When it comes to mass shootings the chances of being a victim are around 0.009% and being killed by a terrorist are around 0.002%.

I know its a bit cliche, but when I am unsure about something or a situation I find myself in, I will ask myself, "What would Jesus do?" Since I know the answer to whether or not Jesus would carry a weapon for self defense based on scripture, my decision is not to carry a gun.

We can talk the talk all we want to about being a Christian, but if we are not also walking the walk, people are not going to be able to see Christ in us. I really believe that Christians carrying guns in public damages our personal witness to Christ. I know many will disagree with me, but that's how I feel on this subject.

Good one ;)

Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟229,568.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It also doesn’t provide any source of information no actual numbers they took into consideration any exactly what situations.
You have to download the study to have access to all the data they used.

Here's another study that finds that having firearms in the home increases the risk of being murdered.

In a 2015 study using data from the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for example, researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least. Also in 2015 a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were nearly twice as likely to be murdered as people who did not.

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows

If you look into this further you will find that there are dozens of studies that have come to the conclusion that having access to a gun in your home doesn't make you any safer. Yes there are many stories to be found where guns saved lives or scared of an intruder, but when you look at the big picture and weigh everything together, the benefits to having a gun really aren't that great.

It’s simple math if an attacker breaks in your house with a gun what chance do you have of defending yourself without a gun? Zero percent chance.
It's much higher than zero percent, because there are many examples to be found where people have disarmed assailants in their homes. There are many non-lethal ways to protect yourself. While not related to the home, I mentioned earlier in the thread that out of the 26 times that civilians stopped an active shooter situation between the years of 2000 and 2013, only once was it done by someone with a gun.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟229,568.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Please read my last post and give your input brother
I read your post, but I don't have enough time to properly respond. I'll get back to it a little later.

...it seems most of the people on here ether never dealt with firearms or are new to them.
I'm not one that would fall into that category. I'm prior military and have extensive training with firearms. Even here in the Philippines, when time permits I have accompanied other Christians who witness to the soldiers at the camps. They incorporate training in martial arts and hand to hand combat into their ministry. I also participate and share some of my knowledge and skills on the firing range with the soldiers. So when it comes to self defense and firearms, I'm not a novice and have many years of real world experience. I have no problem with those who feel they have been called to protect and serve the citizenry having firearms to do their job.

I edited the photos below to protect the innocent. Lol...

me firearms.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luke 9

23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. 25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? 26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

Luke 14

25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

To me, "take up their cross daily and follow me" and "carry their cross and follow me" means that part of the cost of discipleship is dealing with, and being willing to suffer, the hardships and difficulties which come with being a disciple of Jesus. The cross was the world's "answer" to Jesus, a dishonorable and ghastly execution. I don't think this means that we are all destined for such an execution, but we should expect our lives to be made more difficult and dangerous by following Christ.

My wife works for a Christian law firm, and the employees there frequently get death threats.

You may remember the attempted assassinations at the Family Research Council in 2012. The would-be assassin was confronted and stopped by an armed guard, and shots were fired.

Here's a question for you:

Do you believe that this guard (presumably a Christian) was in acting accordance with God's will?
If you don't know, then how can you say that Christians are wrong to carry guns?

Her law office has such a guard, and several of the employees (including my wife) also carry guns legally, as a regular practice.

Do you think they are exhibiting a lack of faith?
How about the card-access locks to the law office? Should they get rid of those to demonstrate their faith?

Does Luke 9 literally mean that "whoever wants to save their life will lose it"?
Forget about guns; think of life vests, seat belts, and antibiotics. Do these contradict Jesus's intent?

I think the key is: "whoever loses their life for me will save it". "For me" meaning losing it for the public furthering of God's kingdom.

Like the 11 apostles (including Paul) who were executed for their faith;

Like Polycarp and others executed by Nero;

Like Rachel Scott at Columbine High School.

NOT by some crook or lunatic who casually kills people in the daily sewer of life.

Does Luke 14 mean that we are literally called upon to "hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even" our "own life"?
Or are we instead to regard God's kingdom so highly that these lives seem "hated" by comparison?

You should follow your understanding of the Scriptures; my wife and I will follow ours.

You have not explained these verses, you have explained them away.

Your Lk. 9 and 14 quotes are good quotes but they do not better your position. in Lk. 9 Jesus is throwing down the gauntlet for all those who would profess to be followers of His. If you intend on saving your own life then you disqualify yourself. It cannot be denied that Jesus uses very expressive language to get His point across; He forces you to make a choice or an excuse. Lk. 14 He does the same thing, He expresses Himself without qualification, His meaning is clear. Only those who want to qualify and manipulate His words have problems. If you choose to save your life by the use of weapons then you will loose your life; and if you put your family above obedience to Jesus you have made a bad choice. If you decide to listen to theologians and commentaries rather than taking these words at face value the again, you have made a bad choice.

If your wife is working for a law firm that enters into judgment against the enemies of society then she needs to find another job. To work for a politician, judge, lawyer, military, or to sit on a jury are all against the very things that Jesus came to separate His people from. If you deliberately work for and support these things then you have turned your back on the truth. The world does these things because they are of the world, I pray that your eyes will be opened.

The guard you mention if he claims to be a Christian was doing an un-Christian thing. The problem is that Christians do not get the proper education, they simply follow their leaders who have mostly been trained in institutions of higher learning that promote and support worldly things: patriotism, voting, military, the court system, which are of the world. These things were not sanctioned by Christ, His Apostles, or the Church for the first 300 years. Only with Constantine and the Augustine, and 1300 years of Catholic darkness has Christian doctrine been changed and promoted by Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin, all three were murderers just as much as the Catholic Church. The New Testament says for a reason that the end times would be highlighted by the fact that good would become evil and evil good, and it has come to past. By my promotion of a simple truth that Christians are called to peace and nonviolence will be enough in a future time to earn me death. The vast majority of past persecution has been toward those who practiced nonviolence, and it came at the hands of the Church both Protestant and Catholic.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Here's another study that finds that having firearms in the home increases the risk of being murdered.

In a 2015 study using data from the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for example, researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least. Also in 2015 a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were nearly twice as likely to be murdered as people who did not.

If you look into this further you will find that there are dozens of studies that have come to the conclusion that having access to a gun in your home doesn't make you any safer. Yes there are many stories to be found where guns saved lives or scared of an intruder, but when you look at the big picture and weigh everything together, the benefits to having a gun really aren't that great.

It's much higher than zero percent, because there are many examples to be found where people have disarmed assailants in their homes. There are many non-lethal ways to protect yourself. While not related to the home, I mentioned earlier in the thread that out of the 26 times that civilians stopped an active shooter situation between the years of 2000 and 2013, only once was it done by someone with a gun.

So 26 unarmed people stopped an active shooter and only 1 armed person stopped an active shooter in 13 years?!! Seriously?!! I find that extremely hard to believe. I’d love to see the statistics showing how many unarmed people attempted to disarm an armed attackers and failed. They don’t give that number on their statistics do they? I think police have stopped at least a couple hundred active shooters in the US alone in 13 years. BTW they never do that unarmed. Define active shooter for one thing. Then take into consideration how many unarmed attackers were stopped by armed citizens. Is that in their statistics because I can’t find it? That is also something that needs to be taken into consideration. That link is absolutely ridiculous because it does not include the details of gun owners. How many were criminals and how many were not? How many were accidents? How many we’re shot by police officers? It’s stands to reason that if there are more guns there will be more deaths contributed to guns.

Here’s some statistics that Obama requested concerning gun related violence. This seems to be more accurate and actually believable along with the resources to back them up.

Do Guns Save Lives - Gun Sources

You go ahead and try to disarm someone who has a gun without one. It takes about a 1/10th of a second to pull a trigger 1/2 inch versus the time it takes to get close enough to someone to disarm them. The time it takes a person to lunge just 5 feet a person could fire 2-4 rounds at point blank range they’re not going to miss. I think you watch too many movies. Anyone who has a gun would have to be a complete idiot to allow someone who is a potential threat to get within 5 feet of them.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Kumusta ka kuya akin asawa ay bisaya. Ako ay Americano :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why can't someone carry a gun and trust God? 2 things can be true at the same time. Can't you protect yourself with a gun and realize that God is the true source of protection?
Why can't someone not carry a gun, believe God will protect them, and not be viewed as foolish or without a desire to be protected? Cant someone not carry a gun and still have a desire to be protected from harm and believe they will be with, the help of God?

• Agree
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why can't someone not carry a gun, believe God will protect them, and not be viewed as foolish or without a desire to be protected? Cant someone not carry a gun and still have a desire to be protected from harm and believe they will be with, the help of God?

You can I don’t think anyone has said otherwise.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can I don’t think anyone has said otherwise.
Then you haven't read the last 50 pages. Those who trust only in God are made to look like fools......they are outright told that they would stand and watch family get raped and murdered. They are told they dont have family or are unwilling to keep them safe. Trusting in God only, is not a popular view among Christians on this thread. One would think that it isn't even possible for God to protect....we much carry weapons, or die....

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then you haven't read the last 50 pages. Those who trust only in God are made to look like fools......they are outright told that they would stand and watch family get raped and murdered. They are told they dont have family or are unwilling to keep them safe. Trusting in God only, is not a popular view among Christians on this thread. One would think that it isn't even possible for God to protect....we much carry weapons, or die....

It sounds like two of those you mentioned are my posts and your not quoting them correctly.

Nobody wants to hurt or kill anybody until they watch their daughter being raped & murdered. Then all that pacifist nature goes right out the window. Maybe pacifists don’t watch the news much but this happens everywhere everyday and those victims thought it would never happen to them. There are some who realize this and take measures to keep their family safe and then there’s those who couldn’t protect their daughter because they didn’t have the means to do so.

I don’t see anywhere where I’ve made anyone look like a fool. I’ve only stated facts that many who don’t believe in owning a gun have come to realize the hard way. I won’t wait until it’s too late to protect my family and learn what these victims on the news learned the hard way.

You sound like some who does not have a family depending on you to protect them. I had the same mindset when I was single but when I became a father it became my responsibility to protect my family.

The idea was to show that I once had the same mindset when I was single because if someone came to attack me I would only loose my life. But when I became a husband and a father it became my responsibility to take care of and protect my family. I think perhaps you have this mindset that anyone opposing your position must be speaking in an attacking or impolite manner. If you reread what I posted and imagine me simply having a calm and polite discussion then you will see that I have said nothing to ridicule anyone for not owning a gun. On the contrary I feel like those who do own a gun are the ones being judged and persecuted here by implying that they are not trusting in God. God didn’t stop 25 people from being killed in Spring Texas in 2017 while they were worshipping in their church nor did He stop 40 others from being injured. Just because He allowed it to happen doesn’t necessarily mean He wanted it to happen.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you decide to listen to theologians and commentaries rather than taking these words at face value the again, you have made a bad choice.

If your wife is working for a law firm that enters into judgment against the enemies of society then she needs to find another job. To work for a politician, judge, lawyer, military, or to sit on a jury are all against the very things that Jesus came to separate His people from. If you deliberately work for and support these things then you have turned your back on the truth. The world does these things because they are of the world, I pray that your eyes will be opened.

The guard you mention if he claims to be a Christian was doing an un-Christian thing. The problem is that Christians do not get the proper education, they simply follow their leaders who have mostly been trained in institutions of higher learning that promote and support worldly things: patriotism, voting, military, the court system, which are of the world.

So according to you, my wife and I are way off the wagon, and need to get with the program.

However, judging from the experiences of my life (including some life-threatening encounters), I'm not interested in your wagon. God knows my heart, and has carried me through all problems thus far. He still does. I put my complete trust in Him, not in you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So according to you, my wife and I are way off the wagon, and need to get with the program.

However, judging from the experiences of my life (including some life-threatening encounters), I'm not interested in your wagon. God knows my heart, and has carried me through all problems thus far. He still does. I put my complete trust in Him, not in you.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello Raymond
I do not have a problem with trusting God friend.
You see God gave us some common sense along with our free will. Take David for example, When facing Goliath he didn't run towards him saying "the Lord will protect me" did he?
He got out his trusty sling, Which was the "very very early version of the glock", :D He then picked up 5 smooth stones. Why 5 stones? "Well I think he was hoarding ammo" ;) but anyway, It only took one stone to the head and the treat ended.
This teaches a lot because God said that David was a man after His own heart.
Did David trust God?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have not explained these verses, you have explained them away.

Your Lk. 9 and 14 quotes are good quotes but they do not better your position. in Lk. 9 Jesus is throwing down the gauntlet for all those who would profess to be followers of His. If you intend on saving your own life then you disqualify yourself. It cannot be denied that Jesus uses very expressive language to get His point across; He forces you to make a choice or an excuse. Lk. 14 He does the same thing, He expresses Himself without qualification, His meaning is clear. Only those who want to qualify and manipulate His words have problems. If you choose to save your life by the use of weapons then you will loose your life; and if you put your family above obedience to Jesus you have made a bad choice. If you decide to listen to theologians and commentaries rather than taking these words at face value the again, you have made a bad choice.

The guard you mention if he claims to be a Christian was doing an un-Christian thing. The problem is that Christians do not get the proper education, they simply follow their leaders who have mostly been trained in institutions of higher learning that promote and support worldly things: patriotism, voting, military, the court system, which are of the world. These things were not sanctioned by Christ, His Apostles, or the Church for the first 300 years. Only with Constantine and the Augustine, and 1300 years of Catholic darkness has Christian doctrine been changed and promoted by Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin, all three were murderers just as much as the Catholic Church. The New Testament says for a reason that the end times would be highlighted by the fact that good would become evil and evil good, and it has come to past. By my promotion of a simple truth that Christians are called to peace and nonviolence will be enough in a future time to earn me death. The vast majority of past persecution has been toward those who practiced nonviolence, and it came at the hands of the Church both Protestant and Catholic.

“Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. But if you are doing wrong, of course you should be afraid, for they have the power to punish you. They are God’s servants, sent for the very purpose of punishing those who do what is wrong. So you must submit to them, not only to avoid punishment, but also to keep a clear conscience. Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid. They are serving God in what they do. Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and government fees to those who collect them, and give respect and honor to those who are in authority.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭13:1-7‬

Paul was a Pharisee and yet he was chosen by Jesus to be His disciple.

“When Jesus returned to Capernaum, a Roman officer came and pleaded with him, “Lord, my young servant lies in bed, paralyzed and in terrible pain.” Jesus said, “I will come and heal him.” But the officer said, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come into my home. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed. I know this because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, ‘Go,’ and they go, or ‘Come,’ and they come. And if I say to my slaves, ‘Do this,’ they do it.” When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to those who were following him, he said, “I tell you the truth, I haven’t seen faith like this in all Israel!”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭8:5-10‬

“They said, “We were sent by Cornelius, a Roman officer. He is a devout and God-fearing man, well respected by all the Jews. A holy angel instructed him to summon you to his house so that he can hear your message.” So Peter invited the men to stay for the night. The next day he went with them, accompanied by some of the brothers from Joppa. They arrived in Caesarea the following day. Cornelius was waiting for them and had called together his relatives and close friends. As Peter entered his home, Cornelius fell at his feet and worshiped him. But Peter pulled him up and said, “Stand up! I’m a human being just like you!” So they talked together and went inside, where many others were assembled. Peter told them, “You know it is against our laws for a Jewish man to enter a Gentile home like this or to associate with you. But God has shown me that I should no longer think of anyone as impure or unclean. So I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. Now tell me why you sent for me.” Cornelius replied, “Four days ago I was praying in my house about this same time, three o’clock in the afternoon. Suddenly, a man in dazzling clothes was standing in front of me. He told me, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard, and your gifts to the poor have been noticed by God! Now send messengers to Joppa, and summon a man named Simon Peter. He is staying in the home of Simon, a tanner who lives near the seashore.’ So I sent for you at once, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here, waiting before God to hear the message the Lord has given you.” Then Peter replied, “I see very clearly that God shows no favoritism. In every nation he accepts those who fear him and do what is right. This is the message of Good News for the people of Israel—that there is peace with God through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. You know what happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee, after John began preaching his message of baptism. And you know that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. Then Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. “And we apostles are witnesses of all he did throughout Judea and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a cross, but God raised him to life on the third day. Then God allowed him to appear, not to the general public, but to us whom God had chosen in advance to be his witnesses. We were those who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. And he ordered us to preach everywhere and to testify that Jesus is the one appointed by God to be the judge of all—the living and the dead. He is the one all the prophets testified about, saying that everyone who believes in him will have their sins forgiven through his name.” Even as Peter was saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to the message. The Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles, too. For they heard them speaking in other tongues and praising God. Then Peter asked, “Can anyone object to their being baptized, now that they have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?” So he gave orders for them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Afterward Cornelius asked him to stay with them for several days.”
‭‭Acts of the Apostles‬ ‭10:22-48‬

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟229,568.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello Raymond
You see God gave us some common sense along with our free will. Take David for example, When facing Goliath he didn't run towards him saying "the Lord will protect me" did he?
He got out his trusty sling, Which was the "very very early version of the glock", :D He then picked up 5 smooth stones. Why 5 stones? "Well I think he was hoarding ammo" ;) but anyway, It only took one stone to the head and the treat ended.
Did David trust God?
That was a prearranged act of combat between the Philistines and the Israelites not an act of self defense. David just happened to be the bravest on the side of the Israelites to face the Philistine warrior and and like any warrior going into battle, he would choose a weapon to defeat his opponent. As for why he chose five stones, that was probably for when Goliath's four remaining relatives decided to avenge his death.

These four were born to the giant in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants," (2 Samuel 21:22)

David was confident that God would be with him, so he probably felt that he only needed one stone for each.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello Raymond
Did David trust God?

Let us not forget that after that he ran over to Goliath and picked up his sword and cut his head off. I can’t think of one time where the Israelites were commanded by God not to defend their home. Israel fought against many invaders and attackers. David who was loved by God killed thousands. Samson, Jacob, Saul, Abraham, Gideon, were all loved and blessed by God all of them fought and killed many people. But they did not commit murder which is what the 7th commandment forbids. The unlawful killing of a person. God commanded the death penalty for capital offenses which the Levites, the Israelite people, and the Pharisees carried out.

Upvote 0