Should Christians care how they come across to others?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If God is working in me, then let God worry how I come across to others? I shouldn't dress up or try to sound knowledgeable and sophisticated. I'm not trying to impress others, am I. It's not about me anymore is it. It's about Him.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It's a bit "freeing" in that, yes, our eyes are taken off of 'us" and any "self-consciousness" is pushed to the background, as we focus on God.

Yes, that's a good perspective:

That when He is working through us, we let "Him" worry about how we are perceived, etc.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Still I don't think the "homeless" look suits pastors though. :)

Many an "angels unaware" may have that "homeless" look.

(But yes, i understand where you are coming from.)

:)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Many an "angels unaware" may have that "homeless" look.

(But yes, i understand where you are coming from.)

I think "dressing down" can look pretentious in some contexts. And inappropriate. But as you say the "angels unaware" team are suitably dressed.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think "dressing down" can look pretentious in some contexts. And inappropriate. But as you say the "angels unaware" team are suitably dressed.

That's quite perceptive. Yes, it can be a bit "insincere" and "pretentious" even if "meant well". That's because there is still the effort to "impress", just in the "opposite" way perhaps, and it can be a bit insulting.

Yes, the angels unawares are not usually as we might expect them to be. I'm convinced that God has sent them my way as a "test" sort of ^_^

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm glad that the Bible is on my side of this whole physical appearance issue. You don't know how many times my mother has crapped all over me for not keeping up my physical appearances as much as she wants me to.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Appearance wise I don't fully care. Sometimes I just don't feel like shaving for 2 weeks so I go out looking gruffy. Sometimes I don't care about wearing sandles, even when its fall or MAYBE winter. I have shirts/shorts from 10-15 years ago I wear pretty much over and over. I don't care about fashion or trends. Heck I've evne started wearing socks with sandals (as in yellow slipper socks) out. I mean I do try and look presentable in terms of my clothes aren't wrinkled or dirty. But other then that I don't care.

Now I do care how I look in terms of what I do in front of people in public. Like if someone bumps into me I could yell at them OR I could do nothing (or say "Its ok" if they say "Sorry man!") because in this case I have to reflect Christ. Not that I am perfect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Should Christians care how they come across to others?

If God is working in me, then let God worry how I come across to others? I shouldn't dress up or try to sound knowledgeable and sophisticated. I'm not trying to impress others, am I. It's not about me anymore is it. It's about Him.

Yes, we should care, because we are called to love our neighbor as we love ourselves, to become more like Jesus, who is the very definition of love, for God is love, and knowing that our unloving attitudes/acts towards others, may very well, turn them away from Christ. (One of my struggles.)

When Christians give testimony to what they believe and defend the faith, they are to do so “with gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15). In other words, we are to witness in a loving, courteous way. This is not to say that Christians should never speak negatively regarding the actions of others. The gospel message condemns sin and calls sinners to repentance and faith in Jesus (Acts 17:30). However, there is a right way and wrong way to do anything, and speaking against sin need not be abrasive. Christians are called to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15), and, as we know, love is not rude.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. (Colossians 4:5-6, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

The Bible teaches that you should worry about how you come across to others. Nonbelievers, and brothers/sisters.

You do not want to cause weaker brothers/sisters to stumble. You are a representative of Christ.

Paul said we are to sacrifice liberties if necessary to keep a brother or save an unbeliever.

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Jesus' Girl

❤️❤️❤️
Dec 27, 2016
✟26,747.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think we should dress in a way that honours God. No skimpy clothing or trying to seem better than others in how we dress. It is not so much looks, but heart. Definitely go to church in your best. Even if your best is trackies and a swandri.

• Agree
Reactions: Grandpa2390
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How my mother wants me to look like:
240px-Tesla_Sarony.jpg

How I typically look like:
url-3-10tjli1.jpeg
HA!!! Lol wayholka,. You're so funny <3

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Yes, it's about Him. And He commands us to love Him which requires, in turn, that we love those He loves: all those around us. Do we love them when we look and behave in ways that corrupt and/or hinder our role as His ambassador to them? If it's truly all about him, then I will take great pains to behave, dress and speak in a way that doesn't confuse or diminish the message of love, holiness and mercy I am charged as Christ's disciple to share with the World. Do I need to impress others, though? That depends. Impress them with what? Certainly, every believer should be trying with all their might to impress on the lost their desperate need of a Saviour, his love for them, and the beauty of living a holy life that is sold out to God.

Selah.

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
our role as His ambassador to them
Our role as ambassador does not require us to wear fashionable clothing nor expensive Italian shoes. Jesus was all about humility and we should follow suit.

Upvote 0