United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
238472422_10160088477259048_4560336591940322079_n.jpg

We, as a nation, are experiencing political upheaval. The question is should we, as Christian, balance Christianity and politics?

My honest opinion is that there is no balancing or weighing one against the other. In this instance, the scales should always be one-sided. Christianity is our primary focal point, our foundation and profession or vocation that we place above every other thing. I do realize that in these last days the work of Christianity is most often relegated to the proverbial broom closet, but it should be the core investment and expenditure of our time and efforts. I never try to balance Christianity against any other thing. Our Christianity stands by itself, preeminent where no other thing is balanced against it, rather always subordinate to it.

Hebrews 12:27-28
"And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:"

One may ask if we should ignore politics because it is of the world? It depends upon what you mean by ignoring. If you mean to not take notice of it or to disregard it completely, I don't know that this is the proper attitude. I think that we should treat it as what it is "in this country." Namely, a chance to vote and have some say about our government. In our country, God has graciously allowed us to be able to do this. But we are not to be consumed by it as if a treasure so that it takes away from our first works in the expenditure of our time and efforts. Primarily we should be witnesses of the gospel. Inevitable, getting all caught up in politics will take away from that.

Matthew 6:21-22
"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light."

Best to keep your eye single, on the prize, and not on the cares and concerns of this world. Remember, we are simply strangers and pilgrims here, this is not our home and Christians should stop "living" as if it were. Worldly politics are temporal and ultimately just fuel for the fire, while the kingdom is forever. Most of all, do not fall into the trap of having hatred for others based upon their political views, which many professing Christians have become snared. As a faithful Christian, I can say in full confidence in Christ Jesus that there is neither Republican nor Democrat, white nor black, conservative nor liberal, majority nor minority, red nor blue, but we are all one in Christ Jesus. The only tribalism the Christian should recognize is that he is sealed and secured in the Spiritual twelve tribes of Israel.

Should Christians dive headlong into politics because Christians are3 better suited to rule? That seems (in many circles Christian circles) to be of paramount importance. They seem more confident in their work in the Politics of this world than they are in the work of Christ. And I have observed that many of them can't even seem to rule their own house lawfully or in accordance with the truth of God's Word. Maybe they should get their own house in order before attempting to "fix" the world. Truthfully, Christians are NOT called or sent to fix the world, and I cannot help but think that the Apostle Paul would have rebuked both conservatives and liberals for their invoking the name of Christ in support of their own personal political agenda.

2nd Corinthians 11:3-5
"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
For I suppose I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles."

Our Lord Jesus does not fit into any side of the political spectrum, on the contrary, He rises above it. I can see that the Christ of Conservative and Liberal of America does NOT appear to be the Christ of the Bible. It's actually been disappointing for me to see a large portion of the church in America follow the national political discourse. I have always believed in a separation of church and state, so I take no comfort in "churches" supporting candidates, either left or right, choosing worldly partisanship over unity in Christ. I do believe that Scripture teaches us that the church should support the state in our obedience to its rule "in all things lawful." But I do not believe that the church should desire to rule with the state. We're two entirely different entities that should remain distinct. In effect, that would be like Christ wanting to rule with the Romans over Israel. This is not how the Kingdom of God works.

Don't get me wrong, following Biblical principles does not mean we become apolitical, disinterested in the affairs of "our" government. It means we place them in their proper position with our values based upon the life of Christ, and according to our resting place in His kingdom. Live according to the faith once delivered to the saints.

If you feel that we should be involved, but not of politics, voting only as a representative of Christian value. Well, I think this is the closest to being a biblical viewpoint. We live in a world of politics, but we are not of the world of politics. We already have a time-consuming vocation and it's not partisan politics. We're not commissioned to go into politics to try and change the world (an effort God's word demonstrates would be futile), rather our calling is to preach the gospel that may change a remnant of those "within the world of politics." We already have a work in government policy, and it's the work in the church government. We haven't even done well in governing that body.

Ephesians 4:11-12
"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:"

1st Corinthians 12:28-29
"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?"

No, all are not, and most seem not to be anything at all but usurpers of Christ's name. God has set us as watchmen for the government of His congregation, and sadly the great majority are not watching! Do I vote in political elections? Of course, yes, but only in agreement with the option above of being a representative of Christian values that I think the world would benefit by. But "I have no delusions" that I will change anything about the wickedness of the governments of the world. On the contrary, the world is actually headed to hell in a handbasket and there is nothing on earth that will stop that judgment--including my vote. God is Sovereign, and I don't just say that, I know that. So if I can't in good conscience vote for a representative, congressman, or even dog catcher (understanding no man is perfect), I will not even vote. There's no law in this government that says anyone has to vote.

So in conclusion, I don't really try and balance Christianity and politics, I serve the one and participate in the other only to give my assent or dissent to laws and representatives. I believe the Lord "is LORD," meaning that He is in full control over everything, and I don't for one second imagine that I can change the world with my vote. Not like so many professing Christians, both liberals and conservatives, believe. That has always been a polite fiction in the church, a false hope when mankind's only hope is in Christ Jesus.

1st John 2:15-17
"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

The politics of this world are fleeting, but the work of the gospel brings forth an eternal reward. For what good is it if we help install one man who is but a little less evil than another in God's economy? What have we gained in the big scheme of things? Both eat and drink and tomorrow they die and the evil world remains. We should spend our time working and laboring for that which lasts forever. The central truth of the faithful Christian is that we serve a sovereign God, not politics. That God ultimately determines how long the success or failure of any wicked society is. God allows man to bring his society to ruin, or He restrains Him from that ruination. The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Pope Francis said, "The Church should inform consciences, not replace them."

I agree. Voters should be guided by their faith but preachers should not tell them how to vote or whom to vote for. They can discuss issues but not candidates.

I look to candidates' characters, for starters. If a candidate doesn't pass the character test, I won't vote for him/her. My Republican Senator (or my "state's" Republican Senator) called the police on constituents who were waiting in wheelchairs outside his office to visit with him. To me, that is a serious character flaw--arresting people in wheelchairs who wanted to talk to him! My district's Republican Congressman refused to see an Anglo woman and her two Anglo children trying to prevent the deportation of her Hispanic husband (yeah, marriage doesn't always do the trick if the spouse entered the country illegally before the marriage). The Congressman went out and told the family, "I don't talk to wetbacks!"

It so happens I also disagree with their policies, but these behaviors indicate much more serious character flaws. They simply are not good people, whether some church gives them a pro-life? seal of approval or not.

I could never have voted for the former president no matter what his views were. He didn't pass my "character test," and compared to his character flaws, the Congressman and Senator cited above were choirboys.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I look to candidates' characters, for starters. If a candidate doesn't pass the character test, I won't vote for him/her.
I do the same. For example, if they favor the killing of defenseless human beings I won't vote for them. If they are gender-confused I won't vote for them. And so on. I get to choose among all the other candidates who don't flunk the character test.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Our Christian faith can never be balanced to satisfy politics.

As some one already stated to the effect, Christ needs to be the center of
our lives above all else.

The past three elections I ended up writing in the name of a candidate, because
my conscience wouldn't allow me to vote for one of the two leading candidates.

If that means it helped the opponent to the candidate you want get elected ? Well, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Politicians will always serve their power base over the people.

I won't compromise my core beliefs for any politician.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I won't compromise my core beliefs for any politician.
And someday that will make one who seeks to physically rule the world very angry :) because you refuse to be a part of the system. Most politicians would not even notice you, but one so narcissistic as to rule the world would see even just one as a threat.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And someday that will make one who seeks to physically rule the world very angry :) because you refuse to be a part of the system. Most politicians would not even notice you, but one so narcissistic as to rule the world would see even just one as a threat.

Guess what ? Politicians don't notice me or most other Christians.

They cater to the extremists on the left and the right.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They cater to the extremists on the left and the right.
Because that is what has always made the system run efficiently. :) A world expelled from the Garden for being self serving can only function properly if that one trait is preserved. Extremists are the ultimate in self interest, especially today.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Because that is what has always made the system run efficiently. :) A world expelled from the Garden for being self serving can only function properly if that one trait is preserved. Extremists are the ultimate in self interest, especially today.

So you're willing to compromise your beliefs for a politician then ?

German Christians felt the same thing when they supported Hitler.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So you're willing to compromise your beliefs for a politician then ?
Not I. That is what those of the culture of the world do. The governance of man is NOT the governance of God, nor can it ever represent it.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not I. That is what those of the culture of the world do. The governance of man is NOT the governance of God, nor can it ever represent it.

Then I misunderstood your post to me.

• Friendly
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Guess what ? Politicians don't notice me or most other Christians.

Indeed they do! Right now, the screws are being tightened on every Christian and every church, even the ones that are politically active.

Just as the effort is being made to destroy every other sense of identity that a people have--heritage, family, marriage, gender, patriotism, etc.--religion is likewise a target.

That's the case because a people who can be stripped of everything that defines or identifies them is ripe for being completely dominated by the aspiring totalitarians in society. In fact, that's one of the characteristics of totalitarianism. It's not just having governmental control; it's having TOTAL control over everybody and everything about them.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
238472422_10160088477259048_4560336591940322079_n.jpg

We, as a nation, are experiencing political upheaval. The question is should we, as Christian, balance Christianity and politics?

My honest opinion is that there is no balancing or weighing one against the other. In this instance, the scales should always be one-sided. Christianity is our primary focal point, our foundation and profession or vocation that we place above every other thing. I do realize that in these last days the work of Christianity is most often relegated to the proverbial broom closet, but it should be the core investment and expenditure of our time and efforts. I never try to balance Christianity against any other thing. Our Christianity stands by itself, preeminent where no other thing is balanced against it, rather always subordinate to it.

Hebrews 12:27-28
"And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:"

One may ask if we should ignore politics because it is of the world? It depends upon what you mean by ignoring. If you mean to not take notice of it or to disregard it completely, I don't know that this is the proper attitude. I think that we should treat it as what it is "in this country." Namely, a chance to vote and have some say about our government. In our country, God has graciously allowed us to be able to do this. But we are not to be consumed by it as if a treasure so that it takes away from our first works in the expenditure of our time and efforts. Primarily we should be witnesses of the gospel. Inevitable, getting all caught up in politics will take away from that.

Matthew 6:21-22
"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light."

Best to keep your eye single, on the prize, and not on the cares and concerns of this world. Remember, we are simply strangers and pilgrims here, this is not our home and Christians should stop "living" as if it were. Worldly politics are temporal and ultimately just fuel for the fire, while the kingdom is forever. Most of all, do not fall into the trap of having hatred for others based upon their political views, which many professing Christians have become snared. As a faithful Christian, I can say in full confidence in Christ Jesus that there is neither Republican nor Democrat, white nor black, conservative nor liberal, majority nor minority, red nor blue, but we are all one in Christ Jesus. The only tribalism the Christian should recognize is that he is sealed and secured in the Spiritual twelve tribes of Israel.

Should Christians dive headlong into politics because Christians are3 better suited to rule? That seems (in many circles Christian circles) to be of paramount importance. They seem more confident in their work in the Politics of this world than they are in the work of Christ. And I have observed that many of them can't even seem to rule their own house lawfully or in accordance with the truth of God's Word. Maybe they should get their own house in order before attempting to "fix" the world. Truthfully, Christians are NOT called or sent to fix the world, and I cannot help but think that the Apostle Paul would have rebuked both conservatives and liberals for their invoking the name of Christ in support of their own personal political agenda.

2nd Corinthians 11:3-5
"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
For I suppose I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles."

Our Lord Jesus does not fit into any side of the political spectrum, on the contrary, He rises above it. I can see that the Christ of Conservative and Liberal of America does NOT appear to be the Christ of the Bible. It's actually been disappointing for me to see a large portion of the church in America follow the national political discourse. I have always believed in a separation of church and state, so I take no comfort in "churches" supporting candidates, either left or right, choosing worldly partisanship over unity in Christ. I do believe that Scripture teaches us that the church should support the state in our obedience to its rule "in all things lawful." But I do not believe that the church should desire to rule with the state. We're two entirely different entities that should remain distinct. In effect, that would be like Christ wanting to rule with the Romans over Israel. This is not how the Kingdom of God works.

Don't get me wrong, following Biblical principles does not mean we become apolitical, disinterested in the affairs of "our" government. It means we place them in their proper position with our values based upon the life of Christ, and according to our resting place in His kingdom. Live according to the faith once delivered to the saints.

If you feel that we should be involved, but not of politics, voting only as a representative of Christian value. Well, I think this is the closest to being a biblical viewpoint. We live in a world of politics, but we are not of the world of politics. We already have a time-consuming vocation and it's not partisan politics. We're not commissioned to go into politics to try and change the world (an effort God's word demonstrates would be futile), rather our calling is to preach the gospel that may change a remnant of those "within the world of politics." We already have a work in government policy, and it's the work in the church government. We haven't even done well in governing that body.

Ephesians 4:11-12
"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:"

1st Corinthians 12:28-29
"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?"

No, all are not, and most seem not to be anything at all but usurpers of Christ's name. God has set us as watchmen for the government of His congregation, and sadly the great majority are not watching! Do I vote in political elections? Of course, yes, but only in agreement with the option above of being a representative of Christian values that I think the world would benefit by. But "I have no delusions" that I will change anything about the wickedness of the governments of the world. On the contrary, the world is actually headed to hell in a handbasket and there is nothing on earth that will stop that judgment--including my vote. God is Sovereign, and I don't just say that, I know that. So if I can't in good conscience vote for a representative, congressman, or even dog catcher (understanding no man is perfect), I will not even vote. There's no law in this government that says anyone has to vote.

So in conclusion, I don't really try and balance Christianity and politics, I serve the one and participate in the other only to give my assent or dissent to laws and representatives. I believe the Lord "is LORD," meaning that He is in full control over everything, and I don't for one second imagine that I can change the world with my vote. Not like so many professing Christians, both liberals and conservatives, believe. That has always been a polite fiction in the church, a false hope when mankind's only hope is in Christ Jesus.

1st John 2:15-17
"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

The politics of this world are fleeting, but the work of the gospel brings forth an eternal reward. For what good is it if we help install one man who is but a little less evil than another in God's economy? What have we gained in the big scheme of things? Both eat and drink and tomorrow they die and the evil world remains. We should spend our time working and laboring for that which lasts forever. The central truth of the faithful Christian is that we serve a sovereign God, not politics. That God ultimately determines how long the success or failure of any wicked society is. God allows man to bring his society to ruin, or He restrains Him from that ruination. The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

I'd recommend also delving into 1 Peter with the understanding that it's written as a "field manual" to Christians as ambassadors from Heaven deployed to the nations of Earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Indeed they do! Right now, the screws are being tightened on every Christian and every church, even the ones that are politically active.

Just as the effort is being made to destroy every other sense of identity that a people have--heritage, family, marriage, gender, patriotism, etc.--religion is likewise a target.

That's the case because a people who can be stripped of everything that defines or identifies them is ripe for being completely dominated by the aspiring totalitarians in society. In fact, that's one of the characteristics of totalitarianism. It's not just having governmental control; it's having TOTAL control over everybody and everything about them.

Except when it comes to elections, we're considered the minority now as more and more voters are opposed to Christian moral values and have made gods out of other things like race, sexual orientation, gender-identity and such.

The extremists are the one's politicians are listening to, especially Joe Biden
who is selecting radical leftist in his administration.

It use to be that politicians tried to please the Christian Moral Majority, remember those days ? Not anymore.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except when it comes to elections, we're considered the minority now as more and more voters are opposed to Christian moral values and have made gods out of other things like race, sexual orientation, gender-identity and such.

The extremists are the one's politicians are listening to, especially Joe Biden
who is selecting radical leftist in his administration.

It use to be that politicians tried to please the Christian Moral Majority, remember those days ? Not anymore.

Those were not good days.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Those were not good days.

Not the best of days, but far better than what we have now where people
can't speak without being labeled a racist, transphobe or whatever.

We didn't see people losing their jobs because students didn't like what
they said. Freedom of speech still existed and students were in school
to be taught, not yell and bully professors out of their jobs.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Which led people to confuse arrogance and haughtiness with what was once the universal concept of Christianity. From there unfortunately the image they portrayed, especially through pre-internet televangelism, spread from the country of it's origin to all around the world as the new face of Christianity.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0