Should atheists believe in the God of christianity if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It improves their well being, their families well being, their friends well being, the environments well being?

Now a quick answer one would say is yes but it doesn't. And I think this is where the discussion really begins. Because theres no question, even among atheists who were former christians they admit to missing or at least no longer having certain benefits that christianity gave them. So I don't think it's too hard to imagine it being actually true that it could not only improve their well being, but their families, their friends, the environment etc. And if this is the case, even if someone is 100% certain God doesn't exist. Shouldn't they still believe in God? Because its clearly what is best for them and everyone else. Or you can ask another question which is should an atheist remain an atheist even when this results in the worst possible suffering for them and every thing else in the universe?

I ask this because I believe that belief in God, being a christian does actually improve your well being. Which can lead to a trickle down effect across the world. Because atheists always try to say they want to behave in a way in which there is the least amount of suffering, if belief in God does lead to the least amount of suffering then shouldn't they believe?
Yes studies show belief in God and religion does improve your life across many areas such as physical, mental and psychological health, bringing up children and even your financial health not that this is the motivation but more of a byproduct. Whether people have a genuine faith or not religion has many benefits.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As CS Lewis wrote Christianity is based on facts. Either these facts are true or they are false. If Christianity is false than it's the greatest lie in human history which no honest person would want to accept no matter how helpful it may be. If true then it's the greatest of all truths and any honest person would believe it no matter if it's no help at all.

We have 2000 years of evidence that Christianity has worked but no evidence an society based on atheism will work since it offer no type of ethics on it's own. Atheism only leaves a vacuum for wilder beliefs to filled like the SJW, Islam,etc.
Secularism has already showing signs of it's collapses. Atheism also collapses as it questions the very cognitive faculties of the naturalist.
I agree if no God then what does this world offer but a false hope. many people dreaming about better days and living in hope of winning the lottery or being like the movie stars which is really a make-believe life. They get let down and then wonder what is left. That is why more people are suffering from mental illness and ending their lives on a daily basis because all they see is this world and nothing beyond and it is a letdown.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree if no God then what does this world offer but a false hope. many people dreaming about better days and living in hope of winning the lottery or being like the movie stars which are really a make-believe life. They get let down and then wonder what is left. That is why more people are suffering from mental illness and ending their lives on a daily basis because all they see is this world and nothing beyond and it is a letdown.

Do you speak for everyone?

Sorry, some people dont need belief in a god to find meaning and purpose in their lives. If you do, by all means, go for it.

• Winner
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Hey hey freodin :)

Looks like we will talk after all. :)

Please excuse me i am a slow learner. What would you like me to learn? :)

Cheers
In this case: atheists don't believe in the existence of deities. For that reason, the non-existence of deities is of absolutely no importance for atheists.

So your question is meaningless.

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
But "we" won't feed them unless we do what the Lord commands.

So one precedes the other. Otherwise, as you see around you, selfishness rules. Every man doing his own thing.
No? People who don't believe in "the Lord" are not - cannot be - selfless?

Or is this "command" similar to a command to breathe?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes studies show belief in God and religion does improve your life across many areas such as physical, mental and psychological health, bringing up children and even your financial health not that this is the motivation but more of a byproduct. Whether people have a genuine faith or not religion has many benefits.

That’s fine. But just be aware that some people can be happy and content without religion. I’m 67 years old. Honestly, I’ve never believed in any kind of supernatural deity. But I’ve never felt my life lacked anything. I have good health, and a loving wife and family (my wife and I had our 31st anniversary this summer. She’s also a non-believer. Our marriage has lasted a lot longer than those of most all religious folks we know.) And I’m fortunate to have had a rewarding career, that provided us with enough financial security to have a comfortable retirement. Of course I’ve had some difficulties—job trials, family illness and death. But I’ve always been able to work through it. And I’ve never suffered any serious depression. I really don’t think I could ask for more from life. If there is a God, for some reason he’s been awfully good to this godless man so far.

• Winner
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That’s fine. But just be aware that some people can be happy and content without religion. I’m 67 years old. Honestly, I’ve never believed in any kind of supernatural deity. But I’ve never felt my life lacked anything. I have good health, and a loving wife and family (my wife and I had our 31st anniversary this summer. She’s also a non-believer. Our marriage has lasted a lot longer than those of most all religious folks we know.) And I’m fortunate to have had a rewarding career, that provided us with enough financial security to have a comfortable retirement. Of course I’ve had some difficulties—job trials, family illness and death. But I’ve always been able to work through it. And I’ve never suffered any serious depression. I really don’t think I could ask for more from life. If there is a God, for some reason he’s been awfully good to this godless man so far.

Some folks need to convince themselves, that if another person does not believe in god, they cant find happiness and meaning in their life.

It really, gets quite comical.

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
In this case: atheists don't believe in the existence of deities. For that reason, the non-existence of deities is of absolutely no importance for atheists.

So your question is meaningless.

Hey hey my dear :)

What is this theologically different God you believe in?

Cheers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sorry, some people dont need belief in a god to find meaning and purpose in their lives. If you do, by all means, go for it.

Theres a difference between life having meaning and one in which you created the illusion of meaning.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I was only mentioning the observations from research about the world view that is offered about what is deemed to make people happy and that many people are losing hope and becoming depressed about their lives. That is independent of personal views.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Hey hey my dear :)

What is this theologically different God you believe in?

Cheers
An inside joke.

Basically, I believe in each and every deity that you can present me... with the single theological variation that I also believe they do not exist.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Theres a difference between life having meaning and one in which you created the illusion of meaning.

Well, as I see it, your God is an illusion. So maybe we're not that different. Our illusions make us happy, so everything's copacetic. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Basically, I believe in each and every deity that you can present me... with the single theological variation that I also believe they do not exist.

Hey hey freo :)

So how can you hold 2 beliefs that conflict?

Cheers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
No, that's usually the theists' prerogative.

What about "an inside joke" did you not understand?

Hey hey freo :) thank you for your reply

Could you give me an example of how that is the theist prerogative?

Cheers :)

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Hey hey freo :)

RestoreTheJoy said:
It would take all or most of us. And that's not happening. Didn't happen except on rare occasions for Israel, and doesn't happen for the world population that rejects the Anointed Savior.

See i read what others post @bhsmte :)

You may have to dumb it down for me :) what am i looking at?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.