should all pharmaceutical companies be shut down, so that humans can just evolve?

should all pharmaceutical companies be shut down?

• yes shut down all pharmaceutical companies.

• don't shut down all pharmaceutical companies.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
He is not against natural selection, he is against artificial selection. By doing a study of artificial selection, Darwin came up with the theory of natural selection.

It would only be artificial selection if we denied antibiotics and other life saving drugs to people who have traits we want to select out of the population. This obviously isn't the case.

You might as well argue that bees building a hive is artificial selection because it is technology that keeps bees from dying. We evolved the ability to use a big brain for our survival. Drugs are one of those products of that big evolved brain.

Upvote 0

And-U-Say

Veteran
Oct 11, 2004
California
✟19,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Evolving in to what?

Well, something that better survives in the environment. Since we are creating our own environment and it is changing, it is kind of hard to say what. More like "in what direction is it going?" Without a lot of death due to environment, I would think it is just an increase in diversity without direction.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look at the various religions and you'll notice that most have this in common: self-promotion. They have clauses and doctrines and other bits going on that mean a) non-belief is detrimental, b) belief is benefitial, c) you have to get it done before you die.

My parents had the same rule about cleaning my room, and my boss has the same rules about what he wants done at work.

Your point fails miserably. What institution or even individual does not self promote?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
My parents had the same rule about cleaning my room, and my boss has the same rules about what he wants done at work.

Your point fails miserably. What institution or even individual does not self promote?
As I said, self-promotion per se isn't the issue - it's the means by which it's done. As I said, it's the beliefs that a) belief is good, b) non-belief is bad, and c) the deadline is death. That creates proselytisation.

Religion and politics are typified by belief: you have to believe in X, Y, and Z in order to be a member of a particular religion or politik. Institutions like universities don't have a set of beliefs that, when believed in, make you part of that institution, nor do they encourage self-promotion of those beliefs. Exceptions are, predictably, religious universities.

A company that advertises on TV is self-promoting, but the business doesn't believe that people will suffer for eternity if they don't buy their product. The self-promotion of religions is such that that adherents consider it wicked to not convert non-believers.

That's why even 'good' religion ferments extremist fundamentalism - no other 'institution' convinces its members that it's wicked to not recruit, that it's the height of moral goodness to convert others.

And that's the point. They think it's the height of moral goodness to convert others - and so anything else is excused. Killing 100 people is justified if you end up saving 1,000.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I said, self-promotion per se isn't the issue - it's the means by which it's done. As I said, it's the beliefs that a) belief is good, b) non-belief is bad, and c) the deadline is death. That creates proselytisation.

Religion and politics are typified by belief: you have to believe in X, Y, and Z in order to be a member of a particular religion or politik. Institutions like universities don't have a set of beliefs that, when believed in, make you part of that institution, nor do they encourage self-promotion of those beliefs. Exceptions are, predictably, religious universities.

A company that advertises on TV is self-promoting, but the business doesn't believe that people will suffer for eternity if they don't buy their product. The self-promotion of religions is such that that adherents consider it wicked to not convert non-believers.

That's why even 'good' religion ferments extremist fundamentalism - no other 'institution' convinces its members that it's wicked to not recruit, that it's the height of moral goodness to convert others.

And that's the point. They think it's the height of moral goodness to convert others - and so anything else is excused.

I'm afraid I've never seen that in all my days in any church.
Well, one or two.

If you could provide your sources? Links to such churches?
You say they are all of that bent. So it should be a breeze.

My own church is not evangelical. Not that I belong to it.
I just call it that because it's my family church.
Church of the Brethren : Home

Killing 100 people is justified if you end up saving 1,000.

I worked with a guy who killed 5. Should he have been put to death rather than 7 years in the pen?
He was a nice guy and we were good friends. Should he have been on death row?

I wouldn't have a problem with that, if the jury had determined he was dangerous...I have no problem with killing one to save 10 more. Just having guys living in day-care facilities that they prefer to life on the street is not justice OR punishment OR a deterrence. It's just a reward for trying to make to make it to "the big money". Check this out and see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Evolving in to what?

Well, something that better survives in the environment. Since we are creating our own environment and it is changing, it is kind of hard to say what. More like "in what direction is it going?" Without a lot of death due to environment, I would think it is just an increase in diversity without direction.

There's still differential rates of reproduction, even without death.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Since we are creating our own environment and it is changing, it is kind of hard to say what.

Species have done that since the dawn of time. The first good example is the Great Oxidation Event that occurred 2.4 billion years ago.

Without a lot of death due to environment, I would think it is just an increase in diversity without direction.

2,000 to 3,000 people die every day due to malaria, and that is just one example.

Upvote 0

Delphiki

May 7, 2010
Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So you think total dependence on pharmaceutical companies is a sign of intelligence do you?

pharmaceutical companies get richer as more people get sicker.

Ah yes, all these people we have dying of small pox and bubonic plague nowadays, eh?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I said, self-promotion per se isn't the issue - it's the means by which it's done. As I said, it's the beliefs that a) belief is good, b) non-belief is bad, and c) the deadline is death. That creates proselytisation.Religion and politics are typified by belief: you have to believe in X, Y, and Z in order to be a member of a particular religion or politik. Institutions like universities don't have a set of beliefs that, when believed in, make you part of that institution, nor do they encourage self-promotion of those beliefs. Exceptions are, predictably, religious universities.A company that advertises on TV is self-promoting, but the business doesn't believe that people will suffer for eternity if they don't buy their product. The self-promotion of religions is such that that adherents consider it wicked to not convert non-believers.
That's why even 'good' religion ferments extremist fundamentalism - no other 'institution' convinces its members that it's wicked to not recruit, that it's the height of moral goodness to convert others.And that's the point.

Fraid I can't agree with any of that. Effective institutions do have a moral or ethics code for all members to follow
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:1zoLRPWMfWYJ:www.pg.com/en_US/downloads/company/governance/Policy_Worldwide_Business_Conduct_Manual.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjdHq7MFWwgDmQrJgsdnmEtaISbzW-g17OftPpbe9WRkfRlHDXN3HK29SokuDiNY15xg8uvoEGTxuouLVe8tyRQXIf-pAuocw64GOBAICk8BumozcBWKeIYLBlxvZnf0l8rp4-7&sig=AHIEtbQGEx-DE7KY8sE76Y8-_8igV-23IA
and
they self promote them-selves or their products, and

they do give the message that you will suffer for eternity without joining them or buying their products.
Selling to pain - the greatest motivator - Mass High Tech Business News

Most even hold religious style services for the purpose of building your belief.
Business Leadership Training Seminars & Motivational Keynote Speakers from MVP Seminars

Upvote 0
G

gattaca

Ah yes, all these people we have dying of small pox and bubonic plague nowadays, eh?

what have you got against natural selection?

WorldPopulationGraph_yearPre7000BCto2025AD_metalAges_703x578.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Nothing, but you have to understand what it is.

It is a description of how the world is.
It is not a prescription of how the world ought to be.

"I am not saying how we humans morally ought to behave. I stress this because I know I am in danger of being misunderstood by those people, all too numerous, who cannot distinguish a statement of belief in what is the case from an advocacy of what ought to be the case. My own feeling is that a human society based simply on the gene’s law of universal ruthless selfishness would be a very nasty society in which to live."
--Richard Dawkins, Introduction to The Selfish Gene

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic

It's a nice description of how populations evolve. It's not a moral proscription, and letting people suffer is not a moral thing to do.

Medicines help in not letting people suffer. Medicines are good. Searching for cures helps in not letting people suffer. Searching for cures is good. Not doing anything to stop suffering lets people suffer. Not doing anything to stop suffering is bad.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
why don't you just explain to me what you think are the benefits of shutting down all the pharmaceutical companies now?

There are no benefits, only drawbacks. People who have cancer, children who have pneunomia etc would all die, horribly and painfully in many cases. People suffering from chronic pain would have no pain relief in any form. Vaccines would not be administered, leading to abrupt strong increases of measles, polio, chicken pocks and other quite horrible diseases, with the increased suffering and death accompanying them.

Personally, when I would be suffering from my relatively mild asthma attacks in winter, I would not have medicines available to stop these. And quite frankly, I hate not having them available because the wheezing impaires my ability to sport, to play trumpet, to dance and is a constast distraction, interering with my ability to work and leading to sleep deprivation. And that is just for about a single week in the year. Some of my friends who have severe asthma attacks likely would have died.

No benefits whatsoever.

Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
>Should all pharmaceutical companies be shut down so that humans can just evolve?
>

Should everyone jump off the nearest bridge so that the law of gravity can just have its way?

Should everyone commit suicide so that worms and microbes can return all nutrients to the soil?

(I have no idea what motivated the OP but I've often heard evolution-denying creationists speak as if the theory of evolution contained within it some sort of moral directive---or even some kind of rationale for humans to be a ruthless as possible. Why? I have no idea. (Ask a creationist.)

Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't "pharmaceutical" come from the greek word #5331 in the greek NT?

Revelation 18:23 "The light of a lamp shall not shine in you anymore, and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall not be heard in you anymore.
For your merchants were the great men of the earth, for by your sorcery/pharmaceuticals/farmakeia <5331> all the nations were deceived.

5331. pharmakeia from 5332; medication ("pharmacy"), i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively):--sorcery, witchcraft.

>Doesn't "pharmaceutical" come from the greek word #5331 in the greek NT?
>

Doesn't matter. Etymology is not lexicography!

You just committed one of the lamest of all exegetical fallacies. The fact that a particular Greek word 2000 years ago eventually provided the morpheme for an English word meaning "magic" tells us NOTHING about modern pharmacology.

That logical fallacy is so ridiculous that it defies all imagination.

It reminds me of a pastor I used to know when I was growing up. He said, "The power of God is EXPLOSIVE POWER. How do I know? Because the Apostle Paul used the Greek word DUNAMIS and that is where we get the word dynamite! No, Alfred Nobel a little over a century ago did NOT determine the meaning of a word the Apostle Paul chose to use. So add the anachronism fallacy to "Strong's obfuscations".

Strong's Concordance can be a handy tool---but only if someone is trained in the proper use of it. I know many colleagues who FORBID Strong's Concordance in their first year courses until they can at least teach students some fundamentals of hermeneutics. Countless novice Bible readers have presumed to "correct" Bible translations after consulting Strong's Concordance! [A dose of humility would help them even when their "common sense" fails them.]

Upvote 0