Should all Christians support Uganda's newest anti LGBTQ+ legislation?

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don’t care about secular government policies. Christians should not hold the US Constitution in higher regard than the Bible.

Then you're on the wrong thread. This one is about a government policy, not a church body. You said you don't care about government policies.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The book of Revelation is not a direct quote from Christ? What color are those quotes in your Bible? And you didn’t answer my question are Paul’s writings the word of God or not?

All the words in my bible are black. What color is the sky in your world?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, well! That will be news to a lot of observant Christians. Not that it has much to do with the proposed law to make homosexual acts a capital offence in Uganda.
My point was that there were no other cultures or religions before Christianity.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:wave:

Ugada...Uganda...A voice in the wilderness stands alone with the entire world against them.

I admire Uganda for this.
Why only pick out one sinner, kill all sinners you can't pick and choose. You cast a stone it's too all sinners.

What is worse a homosexual or a spouse cheater?

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The idea that there were no pre-Christian cultures or religions is highly silly. Even if you accept a literal Adam and Eve and a young earth creation and just use the Old Testament as evidence.

According to the Biblical account, Christianity didn't come into existence until Jesus commenced his ministry sometime in around age 30. Adam and Eve would have died thousands of years preceeding this, so how could they be Christians?

Secondly, the Old Testament lists dozens of other gods, religions and cultures that were not Judaic monotheism. There are all sorts of stories about other gods and their priests not being as strong as the various Hebrew patriarchs. I recall Dagon, Baal and Moloch crop up (a lot), usually when Yahweh is ordering genocide against some rival cultural group.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,282.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here's a video explaining the situation

Should all Christians support this legislation and support Uganda on this matter?
No, Christians ought to oppose laws that seek to persecute a minority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, Christians ought to oppose laws that seek to persecute a minority.

Many Christians now are showing intolerance in ways, but it is not in following Jesus. Jesus was showing love and compassion with inclusion of marginalized people that we would do with the fruits of the Spirit. Now is the time for repentance and forgiveness to those who come. Judgment for wickedness will still come, as was foreshadowed, in the end of this age, when he returns, still, but we and the marginalized we reach do not have to be under that, that unrepentant will be.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
... Jesus was showing love and compassion with inclusion of marginalized people...
I agree that this is at the heart of the Gospel's message. This is what in my view is so often missing in many 'Christian' condemnations of who are described here as marginal people. It is why I have asked for quotes from the Gospels rather than Paul or Timothy - and never had one.

The Gospels are not about condemnation but about reconciliation and love. It should not be up to atheists like me to point this out.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,282.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Many Christians now are showing intolerance
Let God judge the world, it is his right. It is our calling to forgive and show mercy because we depend on mercy and forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,282.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It should not be up to atheists like me to point this out.
The odd thing about that is that some atheists see the truth in the gospel more clearly than many alleged Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The odd thing about that is that some atheists see the truth in the gospel more clearly than many alleged Christians.
I have a theory about this: the Christian duty of compassion is beyond many would-be Christians; they can find comfort in other parts of their Bible which more closely echo their prejudices.

This thread shows this. There are views expressed herre which are (in my view) at odds with Christ's teaching) and supported by quotations from elsewhere. I sometimes think that many who call themselves Christians are really 'Paulians', preferring what Paul has asserted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,282.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I sometimes think that many who call themselves Christians are really 'Paulians', preferring what Paul has asserted.
The ancient churches place their greatest emphasis on the teaching of Christ in the four canonical gospels. But others have taken saint Paul's letter as their touchstone for truth. To me, that is an oddity that is hard to explain. Saint Paul have many most worthy things to say and he has a talent for saying some things very well but as saint Peter observed regarding Paul's letters, there are things in them that are hard to understand.

If one were to construct a hierarchy of truth then the truth most revered would be that in the gospels.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

If one were to construct a hierarchy of truth then the truth most revered would be that in the gospels.
I think that hierarchy is implied by 'Christian'. When two sources in the Bible are at odds then - by definition - all Christians will prefer Christ over Paul, surely?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think that hierarchy is implied by 'Christian'. When two sources in the Bible are at odds then - by definition - all Christians will prefer Christ over Paul, surely?

Whenever I try pointing out that Paul was just writing his own ideas (something he clearly states in several cases), I get pushback that Paul was "inspired by God" and therefore speaks for him. I can't help but think sometimes they pick the one they like better.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ came for the way out from God's judgment to be provided, and, God is not willing that any would perish but that all would come to repentance. What Paul wrote should not be thought of as overriding Jesus. If there is contradiction found, Jesus is right and Paul is being misunderstood yet again.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0