Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If I drink one drink, I always want another, then another, and another.

Here's an idea....

Instead of trying to prevent EVERYONE from having a glass, perhaps just don't drink the one?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....I used to drink and drink and drink, and I would never stop. There would even be times when I would go on multi-day drinking binges and consume 20 drinks a day for three or four days until taking a break. I had a horrific problem with alcohol, as do so many people today, and it needs to be illegal.....
I work as a musician with a couple other musicians who share your problem. But in order to work, we go play the bars and clubs. I keep thinking that for these guys its like going into the dragons jaws. But they seem to have decided long ago that they are going to work in music and have strategies, support groups, etc, that help them walk though our drinking culture undisturbed.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here's an idea....

Instead of trying to prevent EVERYONE from having a glass, perhaps just don't drink the one?

It’s only 2:30 in the afternoon, and I’ve already had 3 drinks today despite vowing to myself to quit. I can’t stop and have a serious problem. I wish it were all illegal so I couldn’t buy any drinks in the first place.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,082.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It’s only 2:30 in the afternoon, and I’ve already had 3 drinks today despite vowing to myself to quit. I can’t stop and have a serious problem. I wish it were all illegal so I couldn’t buy any drinks in the first place.
If it was illegal, you would just be buying illegal drinks instead. An addict isn't going to let niceties like legality stop them from getting a fix. Again, just look at the current state of narcotic drugs. On a personal note, have you sought help?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If it was illegal, you would just be buying illegal drinks instead. An addict isn't going to let niceties like legality stop them from getting a fix. Again, just look at the current state of narcotic drugs. On a personal note, have you sought help?

I attend three to five Alcoholics Anonymous meetings every week, and they help a little bit. I wish there were a “be all-end all” solution to my alcoholism, but apparently there isn’t one. Perhaps a major issue I have is that I work from home. I operate a very successful NPO business, so often I get bored being by myself and resort to drinking. I want to check in to a rehab facility, and I even went to one to get some information about pricing. Big issue: because I’m self-employed, I don’t carry medical insurance. I would therefore have to pay $6,000 out of pocket for a month-long stay at rehab, which I can afford but don’t really want to pay (I’m a bit parsimonious).

What do you think I should do? Do you have any ideas?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sounds like what you need is therapy and some self-control.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Heroin is also illegal, how are we having a Heroin crisis?

• Winner
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you/can you call your sponsor?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Have you/can you call your sponsor?

I used to have a sponsor, but he’s serving time in jail right now for getting caught with crack. I don’t have anyone to call at this time.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Could you go to a Christian retreat that doesn’t allow alcohol instead? Some of those are donations or low cost?

I know about one rehab center that is free to attend (it gets grants from the government to sustain itself). But the crowd there gives me bad vibes, to say the least.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know about one rehab center that is free to attend (it gets grants from the government to sustain itself). But the crowd there gives me bad vibes, to say the least.

It might be worth it for the help

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I attend three to five Alcoholics Anonymous meetings every week, and they help a little bit. I wish there were a “be all-end all” solution to my alcoholism, but apparently there isn’t one. Perhaps a major issue I have is that I work from home. I operate a very successful NPO business, so often I get bored being by myself and resort to drinking. I want to check in to a rehab facility, and I even went to one to get some information about pricing. Big issue: because I’m self-employed, I don’t carry medical insurance. I would therefore have to pay $6,000 out of pocket for a month-long stay at rehab, which I can afford but don’t really want to pay (I’m a bit parsimonious).

I would have thought that Christian faith and culture would provide a whole menu of methods for advancing self control and self knowledge.... and importantly, companionship in the effort.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Legislating morality, by making something like alcohol illegal, doesnt work.

If people want something, they will find a way to get it. See what prohibition did to bring criminal elements in. Look at sports gambling and drugs. Sorry folks, it doesnt work.

• Agree
Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You should try psychedelics. Seriously. Look it up online, it has a huge success rate in treating addiction and compulsive behaviour, and for every practical purpose they're safe (shrooms/LSD). In any case they're a lot safer than what you're doing now.

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You should try psychedelics. Seriously. Look it up online, it has a huge success rate in treating addiction and compulsive behaviour, and for every practical purpose they're safe (shrooms/LSD). In any case they're a lot safer than what you're doing now.

I’ll keep it in mind, thanks.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not usually in favour of banning things but alcohol for sale I would.

I think it should be illegal to sell alcohol and to give it away but if a person is compelled to make their own then they can consume it (on their own property) provided it isn't to the detriment of others,like driving,parenting etc.

Of course theres also the spiritual consequences of drunkenness as well,laid out in the Bible.

• Winner
Reactions: jayem
Upvote 0