Canada
✟64,433.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Haha, funny you should mention that. I am a minister and I recently moved from a country church to a city church and all the ministry staff (including the Pastor) call me "bro". I thought it strange at first, but I am used to it now. I guess it is just short for "brother". I've never heard of it before moving here.

• Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A priest recently called me "bro".

What do you guys think of that? It was in a context of a serious discussion.
It's not the most common address, but I think it depends on the relationship of the priest with you. Either way, I think it is something that shouldn't be too much concern. It's more of a concern for the priest rather than a concern for the parishioner.

I think we need to address them with respect, though that also depends on the situation and relationship. In a Church setting, it is even more important to address them properly, even if you are close friends outside of church, imho.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If doing so more effectively accomplishes the work of Christ, ... why not ?

Paul said, in 1 Corinthians 9 ...

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

OTOH, ... if your priest's (or other spiritual leader's) address to you is not to your liking, let him/her know. He/She should be reasonably accomodating to your wishes.

Perhaps he could simply switch to "Brother", ... for you ...

To be more thoughtful about this, I believe that spiritual leaders should be sensitive to their audience. Too many times, a leader will place his own sensibilities ... over the sensibilities of those to whom he is striving to minister.

Good leaders will be like Paul, ... who molded his witness into what he thought would be MOST EFFECTIVE with his audience. A good spiritual leader should recognize that "Bro" might work for some, ... but certainly not for all, unless one is a youth minister, perhaps ...

• Agree
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To all who are new to The Ancient Way, welcome :)

Just some background information: there are some established forms of etiquette for addressing priests and parishioners in the Orthodox Church, so that does give a unique perspective on the issue. This scenario is a bit of a gray area though, hence Greg's question. :) That said, you all bring up some good points in the way we address each other.

Please feel free to stick around!

• Friendly
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Good evening, Father. How are you?"

"Hey yo yo yo, Holmes. It's my bruthuh from anuthuh muthuh. Word up. You partakin' of some lemon bars at coffee hour there, my peep? I'm straight outta the Liturgy, smalls; I'll be right back. I gotta bless Skinny Pete. And be sure to pray for Biggy OP. Word is on the street he's back to slingin' dope. He's back on the Crystal since his old lady took off. I told him no ice in paradise, but that playa never gets real. Anyway, peace out, yo. I gots tuh jam!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I wouldn't expect that from an Orthodox priest. Not saying every priest has to address his parishioners as "son" or "daughter", but "bro" just comes off as way too casual. If I'm interacting with some one who I feel is being too informal or goofy for the situation, I'll usually just stick to my guns and insist on using Sir or Ma'am, insist on shaking hands rather than high-fiving, and lay off the non-stop slang.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
a priest calling someone bro seems to casual for me.
I think it depends on many factors. Us calling Fr. John Manuel "Padre Juan" is certainly casual, and I don't think we'd bat an eye if he called us "bro."

But Greg, if you don't want the priest to call you that, just let him know. I'm sure he meant no offense.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on many factors. Us calling Fr. John Manuel "Padre Juan" is certainly casual, and I don't think we'd bat an eye if he called us "bro."

But Greg, if you don't want the priest to call you that, just let him know. I'm sure he meant no offense.

good point, I did not think of our favorite stand up theologian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Maybe its OK. I used to be taught by Marist Brothers in elementary school. When we put our hand up we would eagerly call out "Bra bra bra, pick me, pick me". Quite humorous to look back on that now.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
a priest calling someone bro seems to casual for me.

Maybe it was a nuanced way to refer to the relationship between priest and parishioner. IOW, maybe he was using "bro" to say "brother," not as a new age way to refer to the laity, but to cement that despite being a priest, we are all children of God and, thus, Brothers and Sisters.

I sometimes (VERY SPARINGLY) refer to Christ as our "Big Bro(ther)" in context. But, maybe I am looking to much into it.

Could have been a more formalized version of "bra(u)h..."

Upvote 0