• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Should a Christian ever support a rebellion or uprising against an evil government?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Sune, Oct 14, 2020.

1. WrappedUpinHisLove3

WrappedUpinHisLove3 Well-Known Member

+1,199
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private

that's a good point. Prayers can achieve more, be more effective

Paul said nothing is unlawful but not 'll things are helpfhl. Maybe the question is not so.much whether rebellions are sinful but whether they are effective or not

2. WrappedUpinHisLove3

WrappedUpinHisLove3 Well-Known Member

+1,199
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I

Yes. when Jesus said obey he was referring to legitimAte authority

if your husband abuses you, he is not operating in legitimate authority and you should not submit to his abuse. We Rightly would support the wife in fleeing to safety or if she chooses to stay, helping her to assert herself and keep herself strong

if a parent abuses child, they 're not to submit to that because the parent has gone beyond the bounds of legitimAte authority. We rightl, as Christians would support the child getting help to keep them safe

so why would it not be the same with governmenta

Jesus has always Sided with the victims the oppressed

3. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,560
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Jesus did not foment revolution against the oppressive Roman regime. Jesus did not instruct His followers to revolt either. The revolt of the Jews led to destruction, first the temple and, 30 years later, the nation of Israel. Even the Romans were horrified at the slaughter inflicted on the rebellious Jews.

Lord Jesus told His listeners to cooperate with the Romans. He told them to pay taxes and go "the second mile". I wonder if the Centurion would have become a believer if Lord Jesus had advocated revolt. I think not. Revolts generally turn out badly. Who would say that the African nations are models of moderation, integrity, human rights and democratic values? What was the result of the Arab Spring uprisings? What kind of nation is Libya now? Iraq? The good intentions of man often result in making bad situations worse. The Kingdom of God is not of this world and worldly methods are not to be employed in bringing in God's Kingdom.

4. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,482
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Welcome ! We should always ask ourselves "Is it the will of The Father....." Jesus Christ of Nazareth made it very clear that this is the way in which we need to conduct ourselves lest He say "I never knew you ". Be blessed.

5. Celticroots

Celticroots Newbie

+723
    Christian
    Single
    When the government does not take care of its people or when innocent people are at risk.

6. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+4,025
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Would the path be to rise up against the government or to simply help the innocent or oppressed?

7. SANTOSO

SANTOSO Well-Known Member

+258
    Indonesia
    Christian
    Married
    When evil regimes are present, many are oppressed and suffering by what the evil regimes have said and done; you can say that there are many wicked people, what should the righteous consider then? :

1 HEAR my voice, O God, in my complaint; PRESERVE MY LIFE FROM dread of the enemy.
    2 HIDE ME FROM the secret plots of the wicked, from the throng of evildoers,
    3 who whet their tongues like swords, who aim bitter words like arrows,
    4 shooting from ambush at the blameless, shooting at him suddenly and without fear.
    5 They hold fast to their evil purpose; they talk of laying snares secretly, thinking, "Who can see them?"
    6 They search out injustice, saying, "We have accomplished a diligent search." For the inward mind and heart of a man are deep.

7 BUT GOD SHOOTS HIS ARROW AT them; they are wounded suddenly.
    8 They are brought to ruin, WITH THEIR OWN TONGUES turned against them; ALL WHO SEE THEM WILL WAG THEIR HEADS.
    9 Then ALL MANKIND FEARS; they TELL WHAT GOD HAS BROUGHT ABOUT and PONDER what he has done.

10 Let the righteous one REJOICE in the LORD and TAKE REFUGE IN HIM! Let all the upright in heart EXULT!-Psalm 64:1-10

8. Leaf473

Leaf473 Member

+66
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Great question!

I think the issue is that the New testament doesn't talk about the proper use of violence, if any. (Or I haven't found where it does :) )

Two passages came to mind
    Ecclesiastes 3:8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

There is a time for war, but when that time is is a matter of wisdom, imo.

Luke 22:35 He said to them, "When I sent you out without purse, and wallet, and shoes, did you lack anything?" They said, "Nothing." 36 Then he said to them, "But now, whoever has a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet. Whoever has none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword.

But it's unclear to me if this instruction was temporary or permanent, and when we were to use the weapon that we bought.

9. timothyu

+4,025
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    ♪ and if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is buddy you'll have to wait ♪ ...j lennon

10. Jovajna

Jovajna New Member

+10
    Serbia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    What is an evil government? I'd say if it kills and enslaves people, if it does not allow religious expression, if it is working against it's people's interest and sells out the land, then it is evil and the answer is obvious.
    There is a famous quote that every ruler is from God. But it does not mean we need to obey every fool that claws up to the high state places. It means that just as we ask our Father in Heaven "bring us not into temptation but deliver us from evil", we should pray that He brings us a good government and not an evil one. Do we do that and how often? So, we find ourselves in evil situation and must act. But in Godly manner.
    As an example, one recent event was in Montenegro. Government had introduced a new law about religion (basically anti-christian law). And the Christian people finally got got united, got on the streets, prayed, and the government went down along with that law. It lasted, some got hurt, but they did it. Lord be praised +

11. timothyu

+4,025
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Realistically any governance that is not the governance of God. But from a worldly viewpoint you come close.

12. WonbyOneanddone

WonbyOneanddone Member

+36
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I think one of the reasons why Christians tend to favor fighting evil regimes with guns is the example of the American Revolution. Here the Founding Fathers are held up like saints. The war began as they fought the king of England once that king came for their ammo. They seemed to have a great deal of wisdom and were heavily influenced by the Christian faith, so their example heavily influences Christians today. That is why even today gun rights are held in such high regard in the US.

So was the American Revolution God's will? And is owning a gun a Christian thing to do?

13. All Englands Skies

All Englands Skies Christian-Syndicalist

+443
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    The Solidarity trade union in Poland had a massive Catholic/Christian following and brought down the Communist government in 1989.

14. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,136
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Christianity has always recognized a difference between a legitimate ruler and a tyrant. There have always been uprisings, sometimes they have been successful but most times they went down in bloody defeat and reprisals.
    Paul is not saying to obey a tyrant, if so jews either deserved being put in concentration camps or were simply loyal citizens freely going into gas chambers, and likewise Pol Pot was in the right for murdering half of the population of Cambodia. Paul is simply advising against nihilism and anarchy.

15. hopeon

hopeon New Member

+8
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
    "Dictators, tyrants, despots, warlords, mafia heads, leaders of street gangs, etc. certainly have authority that they assert, but it is illegitimate because it has not been delegated to them from God. They do not submit to Him or His laws, but instead, act contrary to His Just and Righteous standards." tyranny

16. hopeon

hopeon New Member

+8
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
    "The “Revolutionary War” and the “Civil War” are not examples of revolution but are examples of legitimateresistance to tyranny. The term, “Revolutionary War”, is a misnomer, meaning it is an incorrect or unsuitable name. It would be more accurate to refer to both of these as “Wars for Independence”.

We know that the Colonists did not attack England nor did they try to overthrow King George whose oppres- sion they could no longer abide. So they declared their independence and separated from him and England. When the king sent British soldiers to attack them, they had every right to defend themselves." tolerating Tyranny Mike Smith

17. Hawkins

Hawkins Member Supporter

+276
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    A regime is composed of officials reflecting what people are. More often a corrupt regime is made of corrupt officials coming from corrupt people. Even Hitler is elected by those willing to turn a blind eye on the persecution of the Jews.

In the past 200 years, Chinese have spent more than 100 million human lives in order to overthrow the so-called corrupt regimes. The so-called corrupt regime has never gone away for a single moment. Such a so-called corrupt regime is always there no matter what. Does God want the 100 million die before they have a chance to choose Jesus? I doubt that. The only way a difference can be made is for the gospel to be preached such that a society can be filled with more salt and light. Only then the society with change, so is the regime.

Romans 13:1 (NIV2011)
    Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

The Chinese rebelled with a death toll over 100 million in the name of a religion like Taiping (i.e., borrowed from Christianity) and in the name of an ideology such as communism. Any responsible government should be cautious about rebellions behind a religion (such as FLG) or an ideology such as democracy, in order to avoid another 100 mil deaths. Who's fault is that if religions are suppressed in red China?

18. Childofgodharrison

Childofgodharrison Member

+41
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    God tells us to follow the rules that governs the world, like no speeding, no stealing, pay your bills, etc. As far as voting or trying to change the way the government is run, it is not our concern. We are in the world but not of it. We are the body of Christ. If we were to try to change the government Jesus would have done so when he was on the earth, but he didn't. He did pay the tax because he was living in the world. He was in it, not of it. Trying to change the kings of the world is for the ones who are apart of the world. Jesus is from another kingdom. If we are the body then we are too. The government is Gods concern.