Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
tollytee said:
Everyone knows that the KGB (Kiss Goodby your Butt) was not disbanded with Gorbechov, et. al., and they still have a world class, first class, intelligence service.

meaning?

I mean, I don't know what happened with the KGB but I am quite certain that the Russians have spies... but isn't this the game that we play? We all spy on everyone else and then get all shocked and incensed when we find people spying on us? Would your reponse to Iranian spies in the USA be "well, we all know that the CIA has been orchestrating coups in other countries for years."? Is it now true that one country's activities abroad justify other people spying on them? I'm not sure that I am opposed to that as a policy... but I think of the Cubans who are in jail right now and I wonder at this tolerance of espionage.

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
tollytee said:
Everyone knows that the KGB (Kiss Goodby your Butt) was not disbanded with Gorbechov, et. al., and they still have a world class, first class, intelligence service.

Hm. KGB stands for "Committee for Government Security" and they're now the FSB. And the article is actually about accusations of people spying on the RF, not vice versa.

Upvote 0

T-Bird

May 7, 2005
✟179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Machjo said:
And is the result more freedom in Russia? On the contrary, now there are discussions of tightening controls as a result. OK, granted the US wasn't the only culprit this time, but still, it seems the US always has to stick it's dirty nose everywhere.

Why aren't you complaining about the Russians complaining about being spied on, like you did in that other story about the US?

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Milla said:
Hm. KGB stands for "Committee for Government Security" and they're now the FSB. And the article is actually about accusations of people spying on the RF, not vice versa.

That's my point. Why shouldn't everybody be spying on you guys? Your doing to everyone else. What's good for the comrade is good for the patriot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Because in this one, there are accusations that there actually were spies spying on Russia. In the other one, it's just the US saying the Chinese are building up their spy network (while stating that the US has a bigger one!). Plus considering that the US has had a track reccord of inaccurate information in the last few years, I even doubt the accuracy of their statements. Plus the US complaining about China when an american spy plane already had to make an emergency landing in China! Let's look at it this way. China has a bad track reccord with human rights (although that is improving little by little), but it's never claimed the moral high ground trying to point fingers at other countries. It's kept to itself. the US on the other hand, is always pointing fingers and criticizing other countries in the midst of its own Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib! What are we supposed to think when the US is just like any other country, yet pointing fingers at everyone. The US just comes across as so hipocritical and self-righteous then.

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Because in this one, there are accusations that there actually were spies spying on Russia. In the other one, it's just the US saying the Chinese are building up their spy network (while stating that the US has a bigger one!). Plus considering that the US has had a track reccord of inaccurate information in the last few years, I even doubt the accuracy of their statements. Plus the US complaining about China when an american spy plane already had to make an emergency landing in China! Let's look at it this way. China has a bad track reccord with human rights (although that is improving little by little), but it's never claimed the moral high ground trying to point fingers at other countries. It's kept to itself. the US on the other hand, is always pointing fingers and criticizing other countries in the midst of its own Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib! What are we supposed to think when the US is just like any other country, yet pointing fingers at everyone. The US just comes across as so hipocritical and self-righteous then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
T-Bird said:
Tell that to Tibet.

... You'll find that there are legitimate arguments for claiming Tibet is a part of China. And yes, I'll acknowledge that there are also many legitimate arguments for its sovereignty. But looking at it in that light, the Chinese don't view this at all as sticking their noses in other countries' business, but rather an internal issu, just as the US might view Alaska. Certainly I'm not defending the position, but what I am saying is that it does keep its nose to itself within borders it can reasonably claim to be an internal matter. Not the same with the US in Iraq, spying on Russia, Cuba, etc. etc. etc.

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
lost_and_found said:
People are actually shocked by this? Don't be so naive, everyone knows that governments spy on each other... even allies. That's one of the big reasons why there are government agencies like CSIS and MI-5 in the world.

And that makes it right?

Lately I'd been criticizing the US more than the rest on the grounds that, not only does it spy on otehr countries, but then pretends to have the moral high ground when other countries do the same. It's just the absolute hipocricy of it all which bothers me.

And yes, as far as I'm concerned as a Canadian, we ought to abolish CSIS and set an example. Besides, who'll invade Canada anyway, other than maybe the US?

Upvote 0

tollytee

Feb 19, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
✟1,910.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Machjo said:
Besides, who'll invade Canada anyway, other than maybe the US?

Well, it won't be this weekend. The Rhode Island National Guard is busy with their annual Pancake Festival. So it will probably be next weekend.

Then the liberals will protest in NYC carrying signs and chanting 'NO WAR FOR SYRUP!!;)

Upvote 0

selfintercession

Contributor
Jan 2, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟24,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
Machjo said:
And that makes it right?

Lately I'd been criticizing the US more than the rest on the grounds that, not only does it spy on otehr countries, but then pretends to have the moral high ground when other countries do the same. It's just the absolute hipocricy of it all which bothers me.

Oh PLEASE! And what is the US supposed to do? Stop?? While every other country in the world -- from Canada to China spies on them?!?

Machjo said:
And yes, as far as I'm concerned as a Canadian, we ought to abolish CSIS and set an example. Besides, who'll invade Canada anyway, other than maybe the US?

Riiiight. No problem! Those foreign countries and private organizations can just come right on in and steal our economic, technological and military secrets. And hey, we don't need anybody to investigate threats to national security from individuals and terrorists... I mean, everyone knows Canada is untouchable! /end sarcasm

Did you know that CSIS does a lot more for us than protect us against foreign espionage? Did you know that Russia was caught spying in Canada in the laste 90s? Canada isn't as well loved worldwide as you may think. And it would do Canadians in general a lot of good to get that through their heads.

Upvote 0