• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Shocker.... Biden might announce Stacey Abrams as his running mate

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Basil the Great, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,085
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    MSNBC just had a report that former VP Joe Biden is considering naming Georgia's Stacey Abrams as his running mate when he announces for President. Good or bad, such a move could really shake up the race and force some of the other candidates to announce running mates as well. While Abrams might be an attractive choice, her resume does not seem to fit that of other VP candidates. What do all of you think of this possibility?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+18,763
    Anglican
    Married
    The history of announcing ones preferred running mate in advance of the nomination almost always 1) fails to help the person who is seeking the presidential nomination and 2) looks like an act of desperation.

This one could be different, of course, but choosing a person like this one who has just lost a statewide race she was favored to win and who had never held any important elective office previously seems shaky.

3. Hammster

Hammster Tetelestai Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+13,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    If he had just secured the nomination, she might be a good choice. But I agree with Albion on this one.

4. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,209
    Christian
    Married
    I don't think that he should lock himself in at this point.

I don't necessarily see what he gains from it ...

5. Basil the Great

+2,085
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I tend to agree, though a commentator on MSNBC felt that it would be a super move on Biden's part. If he wanted to do something like this, could he not find a woman with a better resume?

6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+18,763
    Anglican
    Married
    It is hard to see why. No matter which of the many male candidates for prez wins the nomination, the choice of a woman or racial minority for VP is considered likely if not almost obligatory.

I agree.

7. Hammster

+13,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    It’s a good move for MSNBC. If he does chose a runningmate early, they look smart and in the know. If he doesn’t, everyone has forgotten what they said anyway.

8. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+398
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Stacey Abrams did a heck of a job getting out the black vote in Georgia. It was a very close gubernatorial race.

She doesn't have much of a resume, but I'm willing to bet if he does get the nomination and picks Abrams, her resume won't be considering factor....she'll bring in the votes he will need.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  9. Go Braves

Go Braves On semi-hiatus here. Y'all take care.

+6,849
    United States
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    She's popular in GA. Oprah came here to support her. A lot of people even ones who aren't fans of her politics believe she was robbed & root for her as a person. I think she'd be a good choice but yes it's a little premature to pick a VP at this point.

10. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+26,052
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    Joe Biden thinks Stacy Abrams will be a good running mate. I do too. Joe Biden has yet to declare that he is a candidate. Abrams will enhance anyone's candidacy .That's imho.

11. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,320
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Too much can happen in the next year. Why it is good, to hold off until you have a clearer picture, of who is the best choice.

12. Basil the Great

+2,085
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    Perhaps I should add that MSNBC received their information from AXIOS.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+4,799
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    ...which leads off:
    Close advisers to former Vice President Joe Biden are debating the idea of packaging his presidential campaign announcement with a pledge to choose Stacey Abrams as his vice president.

Joe Biden advisers debate Stacey Abrams as out-of-the-gate V.P. choice for 2020 run

...in other words, the advisors are doing what political consultants do.....debate political strategy...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+398
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Just to add that I didn't vote for either candidate in the Georgia gubernatorial race; to me, it was like choosing between Trump and Hillary. I couldn't bring myself to vote for either of them.

But yes, Biden choosing Abrams would be politically astute. She'll bring in the Oprah vote just like she did in Georgia.

15. Veritas

Veritas 1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism

+2,535
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I can't even imagine Biden getting the nom. There are so many videos of him fondling little girls and whispering inappropriate things. It'll all come up during the campaign.

16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+18,763
    Anglican
    Married
    And yet she still lost, even though Georgia is always in play for the Democrats and 2018 was a banner year for the Democrats all across the country.

What might be the more interesting question is this: who else does an old white man in todays Democratic party have as a better choice if the objective is to choose an African-American running mate? There aren't many. He probably could not choose Sen. Booker or Sen. Harris, for example, since they would upstage the presidential nominee.

17. Hammster

+13,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Seriously? Trump got nominated.

18. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,320
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Exactly my thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Ttalkkugjil

Ttalkkugjil Spiritual Director

+691
    Korea, Republic Of
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Meh.

20. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN .

+2,189
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    She has more experience, than the president. That one quality I like about her.