Jul 1, 2006
India
Visit site
✟15,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shintoism is purely a Japanese religion. Shinto means "the way to the gods" and is rooted in Japan's national history and intertwined with its culture.The Japanese name for their country is Nippon, which means "sun origin." Until the end of World War II, Japanese children were taught at school that the emperors were descendants of the sun-goddess, Amaterasu. Amaterasu had allegedly given the imperial house the divine right to rule. In 1946, in a radio broadcast to the Japanese people, Emperor Hirohito repudiated his divine right to rule.
1. The Uniqueness of Japan
The fundamental doctrines of Shintoism centre around Japan.
Japan is the country of the gods, and her inhabitants are the descendants of the gods. Between the Japanese people and the Chinese, Hindus, Russians, Dutch, Siamese, Cambodians and other nations of the world there is a difference of kind, rather than of degree. From the fact of the divine descent of the Japanese people proceeds their immeasurable superiority to the natives of other countries in courage and intelligence. Shintoism would describe the Japanese as "honest and upright of heart, and are not given to useless theorising and falsehoods like other nations."
The Mikado is the true Son of Heaven, who is entitled to reign over the four seas and the ten thousand countries. There are many "gods" who are called kami.
The God of Christianity is not limited to Japan. He is the Lord of all people. The religion of Shintoism is in opposition to Christianity. In its purest form it teaches the superiority of the Japanese people and their land above all others on earth and that is opposed to the teaching of the Bible. According to the Bible, the Jews are God's chosen people through whom He entrusted His words. See Romans 3:1-2. The New Testament shows that Jesus Christ came to die to save both the Jews and Gentiles.
Shinto fosters a pride and a feeling of superiority in the Japanese people. This type of pride is condemned by God, who says, "There is none righteous, not even one" (Romans 3:10). The same lesson was learned by the apostle Peter who concluded: "I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right, is welcome to Him" (Acts 10:34).
2. There are many gods
The Kami are the Shinto deities. The word "Kami" is generally translated "god" or "gods." However, the Kami bear little resemblance to the gods of monotheistic religions. There are no concepts which compare to the Christian beliefs in the wrath of God, his omnipotence and omni-presence, or the separation of God from humanity due to sin. There are numerous other deities who are conceptualised in many forms:-
Those related to natural objects and creatures, from "food to rivers to rocks."
Guardian Kami of particular areas and clans.
Exceptional people, including all but the last of the emperors.
Abstract creative forces.
The Bible is clear there is only one true and living God. You are my witnesses,’ says the Lord, ‘and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me’" See Isaiah 43:10. The God of the Bible is more than just the God of one country or people. "The God of the whole earth shall he be called" - Isaiah 54:5. He is not a sectarian God. Paul declared, "For there is no respect of persons with God" - Romans 2:11.
3. Moral code
Shintoism sees mankind as good and that evil is caused by evil spirits. Shinto emphasises right practice, sensibility, and attitude. There are "Four Affirmations" in Shintoism:-
Tradition and the family: The family is seen as the main mechanism by which traditions are preserved. Their main celebrations relate to birth and marriage.
Love of nature: Nature is sacred; to be in contact with nature is to be close to the Gods. Natural objects are worshipped as sacred spirits.
Physical cleanliness: Followers of Shinto take baths, wash their hands, and rinse out their mouth often.
"Matsuri" - The worship and honour given to the Kami and ancestral spirits.
4. Ceremonies and Practices
There are many - here are a few.
Shinto recognizes many sacred places: mountains, springs, etc. Each shrine is dedicated to a specific Kami who has a divine personality and responds to sincere prayers of the faithful. When entering a shrine, one passes through a Tori a special gateway for the Gods. It marks the demarcation between the finite world and the infinite world of the Gods.
In the past, believers practiced "misogi,", the washing of their bodies in a river near the shrine. In recent years they only wash their hands and wash out their mouths in a wash basin provided within the shrine grounds. Believers respect animals as messengers of the Gods. A pair of statues of "Koma-inu" (guard dogs) face each other within the temple grounds.
Shrine ceremonies, which include cleansing, offerings, prayers, and dances are directed to the Kami.
Kagura are ritual dances accompanied by ancient musical instruments. The dances are performed by skilled and trained dancers. They consist of young virgin girls, a group of men, or a single man.
Mamori are charms worn as an aid in healing and protection. They come in many different forms for various purposes.
An altar, the "Kami-dana" (Shelf of Gods), is given a central place in many homes.
Seasonal celebrations are held at spring planting, fall harvest, and special anniversaries of the history of a shrine or of a local patron spirit. Followers are expected to visit Shinto shrines at the times of various life passages. For example, the Shichigosan Matsuri involves a blessing by the shrine Priest of girls aged three and seven and boys aged five. It is held on 15th November.
Many followers are involved in the "offer a meal movement," in which each individual bypasses a breakfast (or another meal) once per month and donates the money saved to their religious organization for international relief and similar activity.
Origami ("Paper of the spirits"): This is a Japanese folk art in which paper is folded into beautiful shapes. They are often seen around Shinto shrines. Out of respect for the tree spirit that gave its life to make the paper, origami paper is never cut.
The Shinto belief is that on the basis of performing certain ceremonies, by his or her own works, a person receives blessings from the kami, instead of by God’s grace as the Christian believes. The greatest blessing of all, of course, is eternal salvation through Jesus Christ. Christians must clearly tell the followers of Shinto that it is not because of what a person does that she or he is saved, but entirely it is the blessing of God because of what He has done. Salvation is ours by grace alone, as the Bible says, “God saved you through faith as an act of kindness. You had nothing to do with it. Being saved is a
gift of God. It’s not the result of anything you have done, so no one can brag about it” (Ephesians
2:8-9).
5. Contrasts with Christianity
Shintoism
Christianity
There are many gods (kami)
There is only one triune God
The kami are procreated by other gods
God created all things and persons
The kami indwell material objects and the natural world
God transcends the world in His being
The kami may be either helpful or hurtful
God is loving and absolutely good
The kami are the gods of Japan
God is the creator and Lord of all people
The kami might commune with those who are ritually purified and wait for their presence
God promises to be present to anyone who calls upon him for forgiveness
Acceptance of other faiths - in particular Buddahism
Exclusiveness - There is only one true God
Human nature is seen as inherently good
Human nature is seen as inherently evil
No sacred writings
The Bible

I got permission to post this article thro e-mail.

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste daniels,

are those your thoughts or did you copy and paste this from somewhere else?

i ask because of the fundamental errors in the text. if these are your thoughts and words, we can discuss it. if they are someone elses thoughts and words, there is little value in discussing it.

by the by, there is no "a" in Buddhism.

metta,

~v

Upvote 0

kangitanka

Jul 2, 2006
✟15,509.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
vajradhara said:
are those your thoughts or did you copy and paste this from somewhere else?
They are copied and pasted from HERE
However, Daniels did say that he got permission to post it.
vajradhara said:
if they are someone elses thoughts and words, there is little value in discussing it.
Quite right.
Besides that, it is nothing more than "my belief is right and shintoism is wrong".
In a thread about shintoism, I could perhaps understand such an approach. However, this is a thread where the OP attacks shinto with (apparently) no provocation whatsoever.

So, on 2 points, there is little value in discussing it.
Gardenia said:
Such a biased wrtie up. What did you hope to gain by posting this?
Preemptive attack. "My god is better than yours"
Nothing more apparently

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow... The OP must have jack diddly squat to do if he has to go out and point that out, instead of just waiting for someone to say "what's Shinto?" and posting the wikipedia link.

As far as I know, there aren't really any devout Shinto here...

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I must commend Daniels. He went to all this trouble to inform us that Christianity and Shintoism share little in common theologically. I for one was confused up until now. <cue sarcasm music>

Now whether or not the Shintos will give a rat's heiny is a different story.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lynden1000 said:
He went to all this trouble to inform us that Christianity and Shintoism share little in common theologically

Like we couldn't just, I dunno, use wikipedia? Rent Japanese cartoons and kung-fu flicks? Watch Shogun? Yeah, like noone would figure that out from those things.

Upvote 0