TheThrill

Man of God
Feb 11, 2008
✟15,371.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So, I stopped by the local Half Price Books today. I always check out their CD's and they had Shinedown's album, "Leave a Whisper" in the Christian section for $1.98 (like many of their Christian CDs).

Anyway, I knew I had heard of Shinedown and couldn't remember their songs. After bringing it home, of course, I definitely recognized Fly From The Inside and 45. My question is, are they really Christian? Considering there are two videos on the CD and they're, um, well, let's say making an inappropriate jesture with one specific finger, in one of them leads me to question that.

Anybody got the scoop or know what's up?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

ccmBuzz

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
✟15,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, I stopped by the local Half Price Books today. I always check out their CD's and they had Shinedown's album, "Leave a Whisper" in the Christian section for $1.98 (like many of their Christian CDs).

Anyway, I knew I had heard of Shinedown and couldn't remember their songs. After bringing it home, of course, I definitely recognized Fly From The Inside and 45. My question is, are they really Christian? Considering there are two videos on the CD and they're, um, well, let's say making an inappropriate jesture with one specific finger, in one of them leads me to question that.

Anybody got the scoop or know what's up?

Thanks. :thumbsup:
Maybe it was in the wrong section. lol I figure if you can't tell whether or not a band is or if you have to search to find out - then they probably aren't professing to be a Christian band. That doesn't mean that one or more of the members isn't Christian. You never know. But if you are a Christian and in a band... but not letting everyone know about it... then what's the point!? lol

Upvote 0

TheThrill

Man of God
Feb 11, 2008
✟15,371.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it was in the wrong section. lol I figure if you can't tell whether or not a band is or if you have to search to find out - then they probably aren't professing to be a Christian band. That doesn't mean that one or more of the members isn't Christian. You never know. But if you are a Christian and in a band... but not letting everyone know about it... then what's the point!? lol
Yeah, it just seems like some bands don't come right out and state it right away (I'm thinking Flyleaf and Red for example - but maybe it was just me that didn't know they were Christian bands right away). I was thrown off a bit because the Shinedown artists do thank "God" in their thank you writeups, so I thought I'd post it here and see if there's more to the story.

I never thought they were Christian, their video certainly would suggest they're not, and now these replies further support that. And that's pretty much what I was looking for.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because some people don't feel the need to shout their faith to everyone on the planet?

Upvote 0

ALICOOBASTA

Apr 3, 2015
✟7,621.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Because some people don't feel the need to shout their faith to everyone on the planet?

If one calls oneself a Christian, one is by name a follower of Christ. Before HE left us HE said "Go into all the world, and preach the Good News to the whole creation." Mark 16:15.
If we're not doing what HE said then we're not very good christians. I'm not even going to get started on the verses that follow.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

SeekingEden

Dec 20, 2014
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it is their choice whether they want to be perceived as a Christian band or not. If they outwardly say they are, it will deter a lot of possible fans of their music. Some bands want to be able to be listened to by all. But even so, a lot of bands have one foot in both worlds. they won't outwardly say it, but if you really listen to their lyrics, they are. Which I actually find pretty amazing, because it's a way to inadvertently reach someone who doesn't even know it.

Upvote 0

Aksands00

Feb 5, 2018
Florida
✟7,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello brethren, I just came on this forum looking for other discernment on this matter. The particular situation I am experiencing is with my relative who is newly coming to Christ and is still seeking Him in secular music. He is not at the place in his walk to give up the worldly things nor does he yet understand worship. He keeps sending me Shinedown songs, and I know he has a desire to understand, but the lyrics in the songs are not Christian. If they were they would first and foremost acknowledge the Son. The latest one is called “How did you love?”

This is my response based on the Holy Spirit:

Yes, we love all people and give mercy, but God is holy and will judge all people righteously.

The Spirit does not agree with the lyrics in this song :

“Its not what you believe..
No cross to carry..
We are the judge..
Make your own way..”

disciples of Christ know that it does matter what you believe = faith that God sent His Son to be crucified for our iniquity and resurrected for us to become the righteousness of God in Christ, Jesus IS the love of God, He is the way, Jesus tells us to pick up and carry our cross and that we will be hated by the world for following Him

I am getting very tired of unbelievers telling people all faiths are bad and unloving (especially Christianity) and that God is unloving, and that his followers are unloving because they bare their cross and crucify their flesh to walk after the Spirit as He walked, when they clearly have no understanding of the Gospel and refuse to be corrected and ministered to. Alas, He already told us this would happen, and we are living in the days His prophecies are being fulfilled.

Nonetheless maybe this will help someone else. God bless!

Upvote 0

Belle Chevelle

Jun 15, 2018
Tampa
✟15,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I respect the conviction and commentary of previous posters and would like to add my interpretation of Shinedown’s “How Did You Love.”

To me, the song has always been a beautiful summary of all the things my church believes in. I attend a Foursquare church in Florida and Brent Smith has somehow managed (I believe with God’s help) to incorporate the general aim of my church’s beliefs into one song and get it played on mainstream radio.

The point of the song is that the most important question to ask yourself as you go about life, is how did you love? Jesus said the two greatest commandments He gave us are to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. There are none greater. So that is what I believe Shinedown is saying.

When they say, “It’s not what you believe, those prayers will make you bleed, but while you’re on your knees, how did you love?” they are making a reference to people who are so caught up in being religious and what the law says (i.e. like the Pharisees), that they forget that their greatest duty is to love others, no matter what, as Jesus did and commands us to do. (Hence, all the people today who think Christians hate people because of believers who have forgotten this most critical, important command.)

I interpreted the line, “We are the judge and jury” to mean the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as God who judges us, not people, and that the judges are the Trinity and not us as human beings, therefore our duty is to love others and not judge. And the line, “This ain’t no cross to bury,” as a reference to Jesus being alive. They have another line in the song, “With a million lies, the truth will rise to tear you apart.” Jesus is the Truth that rose to destroy Satan’s lies. Not burying a cross can also refer to the fact that you can't hide anything you do from God who is the judge and jury; however, as Christians we have nothing to fear as Jesus has redeemed us for every sin, even those we have not yet committed.

As for the lyric, “How we forget ourselves, lose our way from the cradle to the grave; You can't replicate or duplicate, gotta find your own way,” I was taught that everyone has an identity in Christ that is unique. Your destiny is made specifically for you by God; you can’t compare yourself to others or try to be like others, you need to be who God created you to be and that is different from everyone else, hence no “replicating” or “duplicating.” You “forget yourself” sometimes, by listening to Satan’s lies, but “the truth will rise” and you need to find it and who you are in Christ. “Nothing ever feels quite the same when you are what you dreamed/And you will never look at anything the same when you see what I see;” when you finally see who you are in Christ and see others through God’s eyes, nothing will ever look the same. “How do you justify/I’m mystified by the ways of Your heart;” the speaker is amazed at God’s capacity for love because it’s beyond human comprehension – His mercy and His capacity for forgiveness is beyond what we can justify ourselves.

Finally, in the beginning of the song, they talk about how fame and success in this world is temporary and how we all have a choice every day to do the right thing (free will to be an angel of mercy or give in to hate) and the most important thing we leave behind in the world is how we loved.

I believe Shinedown does what Jesus did; they reach out to and connect with a group of people most religious people cannot or would not reach out to. Their positive message is a light shining directly in the darkness of a captivating snakepit they venture into daily and I believe they are serving God in their own unique way and fulfilling their individual destinies in Christ. Believers are not perfect, so neither are Shinedown, but they ARE doing God’s work. Undercover work for God is still God’s work, just a little more sneaky, a little bit brilliant, and a whole lot bad*ss.

Love to God, love to all, and much love to Brent Smith and Shinedown. May everyone who was brought here learn their identity and individual destiny in Christ and fight for what is good and what is right as I believe Shinedown does with every album, every tour, every day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joseph McClure

Aug 11, 2018
Fayetteville
✟15,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Or we could all stop giveing our opinions, and think of it in light of loving God. If you believe that the lyrics are God centerd, and you can sing it as praise, then turn up the volume. We are all sinners, I have yet to have a perfect day, will it come, I don't know that's up to God. Until then I will love him, and treat my neighbor as I want someone to treat me. Tell me the truth, give me suggestions, correct me when I am incorrect in my understanding, these are a few ways I want to be treated.

To the one that had a family member looking for good God centered music.
Needtobreath
Pillar
Lecrae
Jason Gray
Ghost ship
Forevertree
Jeremy Camp
Skillet
Citizens
Kansas
Kings kaleidoscope (by the way they drop the F bomb in one of their their songs, not perfect = Not Christian) #LeaveTheJudgeingToGod
#GoTalkToTheLost

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron tronti

Nov 20, 2018
Riverside
✟15,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They don't bill themselfs as Christian but as stated before the lead singer is christian. I believe they don't claim to be a Christian band because they deal more with people's attitude and mentality rather then praising God. However if you have any doubts of their religious background just listen to how did you love. As for the videos of flipping the bird, as I said before they mostly deal with human behavior and the attitude in the videos is that of acting and does not reflect their actual personality. I have been to several of their concerts and they thank God at each of them.

Upvote 0

Carbon_64

Dec 8, 2018
Albion
✟15,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I feel as though the discussion got off track with the discussion of How Did You Love. I agree that it does reflect the fact that the band has some Christian beliefs. For the most part I would say they are a Christian band, but there are a couple things that have me still wondering. 1) Some of the language used in their songs is rough. However, I will say it is sparse and only in one or two songs, and I know everyone's belief on this is different. 2) This is my main concern. In their new album, the song Devil uses "my God" as what almost seems like taking God's name in vain. I was wondering if anyone had any understanding on this.

Upvote 0

Aaron tronti

Nov 20, 2018
Riverside
✟15,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I feel as though the discussion got off track with the discussion of How Did You Love. I agree that it does reflect the fact that the band has some Christian beliefs. For the most part I would say they are a Christian band, but there are a couple things that have me still wondering. 1) Some of the language used in their songs is rough. However, I will say it is sparse and only in one or two songs, and I know everyone's belief on this is different. 2) This is my main concern. In their new album, the song Devil uses "my God" as what almost seems like taking God's name in vain. I was wondering if anyone had any understanding on this.
The idealiam we have today off taking the Lord's nname in veinis beyond the scope of it's original writing. it was originally written to stoo blasphemy against the name of God and using the name of God to commit evil. It was an interpretation of man to assume the name of God to be a taboo word. We have dialed back from the tabooness of the word God being spoken at all but we have not gone back to the initial understanding. As for its use in the song it is not capitalized and as suck has no connection to God as a name. It is nothing more then a descriptive word.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I understand your concern with that song. I went back and read the lyrics, listened to the song and even watched beginning of the video.

Using His name in vain is doing so in a generic or impersonal way. Generally, there are two cases where we use God's name properly, and those are either in a praise/exaltation setting or in a prayer/imploring setting. Just reading the lyrics it is not clear how the singer is using God's name, it kind of seems to lean towards the impersonal. When I listen to the song, however, the emotion that comes through is that he has prayed for and encouraged the person he is speaking to to get their act together. In that context, it seems more like He is reaching out to God as well to help his friend realize their danger.

So, it does seem a bit gray, but in the end I don't think it was used in vain. JMHO, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carbon_64

Dec 8, 2018
Albion
✟15,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I understand your concern with that song. I went back and read the lyrics, listened to the song and even watched beginning of the video.

Using His name in vain is doing so in a generic or impersonal way. Generally, there are two cases where we use God's name properly, and those are either in a praise/exaltation setting or in a prayer/imploring setting. Just reading the lyrics it is not clear how the singer is using God's name, it kind of seems to lean towards the impersonal. When I listen to the song, however, the emotion that comes through is that he has prayed for and extorted the person he is speaking to to get their act together. In that context, it seems more like He is reaching out to God as well to help his friend realize their danger.

So, it does seem a bit gray, but in the end I don't think it was used in vain. JMHO, though.
Ok, thank you. That perspective made sense and cleared up my undecidedness about it.

Upvote 0