Did Shepherds Really Break a Lamb's Leg on Purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kebisoni

Veteran
Jan 22, 2005
England
✟11,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DiscipleWhomJesusLoves said:
I do not think God brakes our legs to prevent us "rogue" ones from breaking away and until we can learn our names and not fear the shepherd. Yes, we are sheep but not sheep sheep as in animals.

I think of the story of the prodigal son and I don't see God's heart as one of braking His children's leg, no matter how prodigal they are. The father simply gave the son his share of the inheritance and let him go. He didn't put some "weight" on him to slow him down or anything like that.

I think there are plenty of brakes applied in the story of the Prodigal son - Quaffer mentioned some. I actually think giving the son his inheritance before he was ready and mature enough to handle it ensured the brake from the start - the Father, I think, knew that was the only way to teach the son to trust him and love him and stay close to him. The Father's joy at the returning son is the joy of a Shepherd who can take off the brake.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2006
✟9,707.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Kebisoni said:
I think there are plenty of brakes applied in the story of the Prodigal son - Quaffer mentioned some. I actually think giving the son his inheritance before he was ready and mature enough to handle it ensured the brake from the start - the Father, I think, knew that was the only way to teach the son to trust him and love him and stay close to him. The Father's joy at the returning son is the joy of a Shepherd who can take off the brake.

I don't think so. Anyway, we're all starting to have different-from-the-OP definition of "braking" so it's pointless.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
It may fit with scripture mixture. But not scripture without mixture.

Scripture mixture is still scripture. I have not mixed my own thoughts. I gave all scripture for everything I've said...what mixture is it you are referring to?

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Here is the op:
What they sometimes do in certain sheep-raising nations is to "brake" a leg. This means they attach a clog or weight to the animal's leg, which keeps certain "rogue" sheep from getting too far from the shepherd until they learn their names, and not to be afraid of the shepherd.

Rogue sheep are those that won't stay with the flock--important to their safety. A single sheep that constantly moves out and away from the others is the certain target of predators, and often is at risk of wandering out of sight (over a hill, into the brush, etc.) in terrain where the shepherd is unable to count the sheep properly. Then the sheep would be surely lost.

Each shepherd looks after from about 1200 to 3000 sheep. When they're constantly moving, such large numbers are impossible to count with precision.

To keep track of such large numbers of sheep, they must be corralled, and then "passed under the rod," which means the shepherd has them in a narrow chute that enables each sheep to be counted one by one, and even marked with paint, charcoal, etc., for further work if necessary.

The leg brake is a temporary measure; a lamb with a braked leg (it's not a "broken" leg!) is still easy pickings for predators at night, because it can't run as fast as the flock when under attack, and shepherd usually can't see predators in the dark.

Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

For those sheep who refuse to listen He does not let them just go their way living in disobedience without doing whatever He can to bring them back under His guidence. A "brake" is not a bad thing and it does no harm whatsoever to the sheep. While it MAY hinder the speed of getting out of harms way OUR GOOD SHEPHERD is light and has no trouble seeing our enemy in the dark. We just call HIS name and He's there. :clap:

Upvote 0

Kebisoni

Veteran
Jan 22, 2005
England
✟11,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the op:

Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

For those sheep who refuse to listen He does not let them just go their way living in disobedience without doing whatever He can to bring them back under His guidence. A "brake" is not a bad thing and it does no harm whatsoever to the sheep. While it MAY hinder the speed of getting out of harms way OUR GOOD SHEPHERD is light and has no trouble seeing our enemy in the dark. We just call HIS name and He's there. :clap:
Great post Quaffer.

Yes - a Shepherd or parent or God who did not apply the brake when we were heading for trouble would not be very caring at all.

I don't see the concept of "brake" and the concept of a God who loves us and only wants what is best for us as being at all contradictory.

Upvote 0

kooolfriend

Turning ashes into beauty
Jul 5, 2004
✟2,115.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Breaking the legs of the animals, will means that the animals will suffer and be in pain...so human shepherds will never even inflict pain and suffering to their animals...so why God which is more compassionate than human will He really break our legs, inflict sickness and pain to us to learn something from it?
Braking the animals legs, is putting more weight than usual, human do so because there's too many sheeps to look after, they can't have their eyes on all those sheeps, so to ensure that none of them wandered off they put more weight on some of those rebellious one...
But God eyes is on each of us, He sees us all, even the rebellious one, His eyes is upon them, He don't need some brake, He will be there before them, you can't run faster than God, He'll always catch us even when we think He'll be late!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.