Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If he's ''just a friend'' then you'll be included, and she won't be sneaking around to chat with him. I have friends who are guys, but they're my husband's friends, too. I don't go off chatting with men in private. Sounds like you have a right to be suspicious.

Sounds like the typical cliche...people IM in FB, from our past...and then someone who's bored in her marriage gets all excited that another guy still finds her hot. That's more of what is going on there, than they are just ''friends.'' I have seen so many people ruin their relationships, married or not, over old ''friends'' from the past, hitting them up on social media. And they pass it off as a ''friendship'' to their partners.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read the update, I should always read through a thread first lol

So she's cheating on you, basically. That's what she is doing and you're just sitting back...letting her continue doing it, because you're afraid to lose her. This is an emotional affair, and she has labeled him a ''friend'' because to tell you she's in love with someone else, well....that wouldn't sound very good.

You need to be real with yourself, before you can be real with her. You are afraid to lose the marriage, but your wife doesn't sound like she loves you, anymore. I would work on respecting yourself, and stop coddling her ...

She should end the emotional affair immediately. The fact that she won't and is crying over this, tells me she doesn't really want to be married, anymore.

18 years or not, you can't make someone love you, who doesn't anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Along the lines of the previous post, you need to stop being a doormat. Women don’t respect that (despite what the feminists claim). You don’t have to file, but she needs to know she can lose you. It may not matter, then again it might.

Reactions: Deidre32
Upvote 0

ml8627!

Sep 14, 2018
Orem
✟7,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Scratch that I think you need to move out. There’s this thing called
STDs, her behavior is disgusting and you should protect yourself.

Have you even read the thread? this has never been a physical affair it was/is purely phone and text emotional affair and I'm not going to just bail on a relationship that can be fixed. thanks for the poor advice.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you even read the thread? this has never been a physical affair it was/is purely phone and text emotional affair and I'm not going to just bail on a relationship that can be fixed. thanks for the poor advice.
The question wasn't what should I do, it was how can I help her move past this without driving her away more or leaving her feeling like she has to deal with this her self.

I am sorry that you are going through this, I went through essentially the same. In brief, here is my story:
I was married for almost 10 years, she had emotional and eventually physical affairs the entire time (off and on). I found out about the first emotional affair (via text and Facebook) in the first year of marriage, she said it would never happen again and that she would break contact. She did not.

The second time I found out we went to counseling, she said that she would stop, made assurances I could see her phone any time. We closed our individual Facebook accounts. She continued to cheat via a secret Facebook account and texting.

The third time I found out a couple years later - she had become sneakier about hiding her affairs. This time it was a different guy, but the pattern was the same. We went back to counseling and came to what seemed like a good place.

The last time I found out was about a year later. This time it was a full blown physical affair and I left that night. She was unrepentant and the marriage dissolved about 6 months later.

In the end the marriage can be saved. HOWEVER, she must be committed to make it work, and from the information you have given so far that does not seem like the path she is taking. She does not have to deal with it herself, she needs to commit that if she feels like she is going to slip , she will tell you. If she feels like she is going to text him (or some other man), she needs to tell you. Most importantly, if she fails - she needs to tell you. But, so far it seems like she will not do this - or so the pattern suggests.

As of right now there is no trust, there is no belief she will work it out. I would HIGHLY advise you to make an appointment at a Marriage and Family counselor. Tell her when the appointment is and that you expect her to be there. You need the tools to make this work, and an impartial third party can assist with that. However, if it were me - after having gone through it once - I would leave for a bit. She needs to know how this impacts the marriage and the road she is choosing. You cannot drive someone away that is already in the car and pushing the gas (metaphorically speaking). But you can give them a reason to stop and change their mind and behavior.

I can say that for me it has been so much better to be free of my ex and with a wonderful new woman. The constant fear of her cheating is gone. The constant hanging over my mind of who she is texting, where she is going, etc. is gone. My new wife is nothing like the old. She tells me everything, and I her. I trust her.

• Friendly
Reactions: Llleopard
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also just want to add that I am sorry, I have been there. Having someone you love and trust break that relationship and trust - it is gut wrenching. I'll pray that God leads your choices and walks with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums