Sharyl Attkisson brings up some interesting accusations re: Inspector General's integrity

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Could federal watchdog tamper with Trump wiretap evidence? It may not be a first

Not long ago, my forensics team asked if I used that Apple computer after the IG returned it. My team was conducting a new exam. “No,” I replied, “it hasn’t functioned since before I gave it to the IG. I just stored it when they returned it. Why?”

“Because — that’s not your hard drive inside the computer they gave back to you,” they told me. “… We know the serial number on the hard drive when you bought it. We recorded the same serial number on our earlier forensics exams. This is a different hard drive. Completely different serial number. Not even close.”

I would never have known if we hadn’t gone back in that computer for additional forensics.

Hadn't heard about any of this previously. Very interesting.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That would make sense. It is easy to clone a hard drive (done it a few times myself) and keep the original under lock and key as evidence. That way a chain of custody can be documented in case challenged in court.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That would make sense. It is easy to clone a hard drive (done it a few times myself) and keep the original under lock and key as evidence. That way a chain of custody can be documented in case challenged in court.

Pretty sure it's illegal to do it the way they did, however.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

...why would seizing someone's hard drive without notification be illegal? I know you guys don't really have free speech laws over there, but you do have property rights, correct?

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
...why would seizing someone's hard drive without notification be illegal? I know you guys don't really have free speech laws over there, but you do have property rights, correct?

Is it possible to hold any conversation with you, without you trying to bait? Actually forget it, I have better things to do with my time today than this.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Is it possible to hold any conversation with you, without you trying to bait? Actually forget it, I have better things to do with my time today than this.

I'm not baiting. Are your police allowed to seize property in the UK and not inform you of the fact that they did so?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Actually, they appear to not have this right in the UK:

What are your rights if the police raid your home?

However, they cannot keep items for use as evidence in a trial or for forensic examination if a photograph or copy is a reasonable alternative. This is also relevant to digital equipment such as computer hard drives.

So, now you know if something like this should ever happen to you.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I know he's serious, but how did he get that out of me explaining that no, the UK Police cannot take something like a hard drive like in the original article.
I'm reminded of the old saying about possession being 90% of the law. They can always claim ... "oops" ... later. No harm, no foul. It was a simple honest mistake putting back in the copied drive rather than the original. :doh:

It happens ... a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

MOD HAT ON

This Thread has been
262239_23a007d3befce9f3bced4ce6221f5e4e.png
Please remember to:

Address only the Content of the Post and not Flame any groups of Members on CF.

Thank You

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0