Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I remember Fr. Ray talking about a program students started at a university in Texas, called Fishes & Loaves. Not sure how they did this, but they coordinated with the campus food service so that, during finals week, students who overestimated how much they would eat could donate their unused meal swipes, and students who underestimated how much they would eat would use those unused swipes.

Does anyone's college do this? It seems like a really good program to do.

Also, I e-mailed a friend from my last college about this, because I want him to try to do it there; also, I'd like to see it happen at my current college. Please pray for the success!

Here's a long article that talks about similar programs: Leftover Meal Plan Swipes: No Waste Here

May God bless us all through all that we eat & all that we do!

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's nice. I usually don't have anything to eat in the finals weeks.

Why not?

I think it is a good idea to eat during finals, unless one is fasting (for religious or medical reasons), or cannot safely eat 'normally' (e.g. have to be tube-fed) due to medical reasons.

By the way, just in case anyone reading this (or someone you know) is a college student and can do with more access to food but is struggling to do so, some colleges have food pantries.
How college kids use food pantries to help food insecurity
Pop-up pantries aim to reduce food insecurity for college students

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why not?

I think it is a good idea to eat during finals, unless one is fasting (for religious or medical reasons), or cannot safely eat 'normally' (e.g. have to be tube-fed) due to medical reasons.

By the way, just in case anyone reading this (or someone you know) is a college student and can do with more access to food but is struggling to do so, some colleges have food pantries.
How college kids use food pantries to help food insecurity
Pop-up pantries aim to reduce food insecurity for college students
I ran out of them before the end of the semester.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I ran out of them before the end of the semester.

I hope that by "I usually don't have anything to eat during finals" you are talking about only one out of three meals missed a day at most...

Perhaps you can ask friends/classmates whether they have any spare meal swipes/change (and perhaps offer to pay them back if you are able to pay them back) or any spare food.

While probably not the best nutritionally and not ideal or really enough for a meal, there may be "free" food at some college/club events. There may also possibly sometimes be food at other places, such as in church meetings or church fellowship lunches (while personally I believe the main purpose of these should be to glorify the Lord and edifying one another in the Lord Jesus Christ, if food is offered I personally don't see a problem with taking it with a grateful heart). If by any chance your college has a food pantry, you can visit it if necessary.

Hope and pray in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ that you will have enough food this academic year, including during finals week.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0