• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Share the things that aided you suffering depression.

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@hope that is nonsenses why should we not be allowed to share what really helped, forbidding the truth on a Christian forum is always going to be a flawed decision - i can't see no reason why sharing what aids people suffering depression can be wrong.

As long as people don't go around saying don't go to your doctor or go of your meds that is nonsense but surely we can share what benefited us the most?
Agreed

• Friendly
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For me. Staying busy...with work or just a hobby..going ouy anf meeting people...you'd be surprised at How a friendly conversation can change your countenance..
Most importantly...having goals and making sure I meet them...that helps a LOT..

Also exercise :)

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone who cannot cope with anti-depressants i searched for many years for something to ease the downs, the anxiety and above all the hallucinations. To treat my psychosis the doctors found an old and proven anti-psychotic in the cabinet, however the rage didn't stop with anti-psychotics nor the anxiety and i always became more depressed from them.

Then i bumped into someone who took Niacin to treat psychosis and hallucinations. So i tried some as well. After searching for best stability i decided that 2 x 1000-1500mg of vitamin B3 a day together with a low dosage of anti psychotics halted my psychosis and hallucinations completely.

Then i bumped into someone who was taking 5-htp for depression, anxiety and insomnia. i have suffered from severe insomnia for many years and often didn't make more than 2-3 hours a day when triggered in particular. After some trials about dosages and a host of other vitamins and minerals i have manged to increase my sleep from about 4 hours a day to 7-9 hours a night and also shaved another 50 percent if not more of my depressive spells and quelled most of my anxiety/panic attacks in the butt.

Then i bumped into a good online P.T.S.D counselor and he took me through my overwhelming sense of anger and hurts and taught me to find control over my rage. That was greatest ever. i literally burned out raging the anger away in my last psychosis instead of increasing it, as had always been before. i received the techniques to deal with my anger and hurts from my counselor and he even dealt with my while psychotic. He was very good.

The end result has been someone who has improved a lot health wise and i'm preparing to get back on my feet again now 50 percent plus of my depressive spells are basically gone and my rage has completely absolved and i have found my tears back again. And so only 4 months after my last major psychosis i want to start doing volunteers work again shortly. The quickest i ever got back on my feet again.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and please if you are an inside bird or going through Winter or otherwise dark weather, don't forget to add vitamin D3 along with vitamin C to your medicine regime.

Upvote 0

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
this will sound counterflow, but i've come to the point where i got so tired of feeling anxious and depressed, so i decided to follow the Word intensely, whenever i feel anxious, i just accept it as it is - a feeling, then i redirect my thoughts to being thankful, the anxious feelings don't go away right away but being in a state of thankfulness distracts my negative thought patterns. When i'm depressed, i stop and start to just thank God for whatever i have, and just talk to Him about my many thoughts. I also noticed that whenever i daydream, it tends to be erroneous, my expectations of tomorrow are erroneous because technically i do not know what tomorrow brings. So I literally force myself to enjoy today, and give little thought of tomorrow. Oddly, i'm starting to feel more peaceful within myself especially when i start to let go of control. I realized that my form of depression and anxieties are mixtures of fears that are erroneous and possibly nonexistent and even if the worst of worst could happen, i have peace that my soul is safe in God. Hence, i strive to do my best, to speak life to myself even when i don't feel like it, and refuse to focus on my shortcomings instead praise and thank God for what i have no matter how insignificant. So when anxious or lonely feelings come, i dont fight it, but accept it, and try to see it's origin, if it's something i can fix, i work at fixing it, but if it's something beyond me, i just let go and thank God for whatever provision i have on that day, and pray a lot. i thank Him for things like stars at night, vision, that i can taste food, for my family, for being educated, for challenges that takes me out if comfort zone. but yeah, everyone has different issues and reasons for anxieties and depression, some are really deep and might need counseling and time to overcome especially if there is trauma involved, for me it is more on unrealistic expectations i put on myself and fears.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's helped most is getting outside myself. When my mind starts to wander about many things involving me, I try to remind myself I'm being self-centered and much of it is nothing. Then I turn to the Lord who has more than anyone been there for me. Whether it's prayer quietly in my room to him or fellowship openly on this forum, it's a change mentally and emotionally. This includes reading and hearing God's word; it's all meditative.

Another is having realistic expectations of yourself and no excuses. When you're struggling to leave what you can't control to God and others, accepting it or asking for help. Also not being too harsh on yourself for little things, but have bigger things in mind. Even then remember you're human with flaws, only thing you can do is have honest consideration and effort. When you know it's something that could and should be changed or done to do it. Very helpful having outside reinforcement with God and those of him, friends and family; to not keeping everything inside but truly express yourself.

Ultimately it's shifting priorities to things having more meaning and purpose. Also not spreading yourself thin trying to do everything you want or think is needed. Patiently live your life each day as a new starting point, giving your attention to one thing at the moment. If there's not enough time in a day or least not today for it all, humble yourself to leave it aside until otherwise. Helps to know what's relevant in life and important to you, these things you should give more of yourself; while remembering God and people with consideration in the process.

Upvote 0

blossom15

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2011
Europe
✟97,018.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Something that I've just become much more aware of lately which has helped me too and that is when I feel angry or disappointed etc etc taking it to the Lord to ask for His help in managing it, even when I don't really understand why I may be feeling a certain way. With anger at times I've found punching pillows when I've got lots of energy helpful and scribbling on or tearing up paper, and I'm working on going for walks too. I'm realising I really need God to help me process stuff, as well as speaking to other believers who are trustworthy, and I've found a Christian counsellor helpful too.

Edit: Mentioned emotions generally as turning to God and saying 'I feel .....' (including feeling depressed) and seeking His help - through prayer, turning to the word and asking for help from other believers at times too has helped me grow in faith in Jesus ..... You are my Rock in times of trouble, you lift me up when I fall down, all through the storm, your love is the anchor, my hope is in You alone.......sometimes listening to music can be helpful as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Share the things that aided you suffering depression.

I was in the throes of post-partum depression, and it was, of all things, Kermit the frog getting frustrated trying to count baby chicks that broke me out of it. It was the first time i had laughed in weeks.

Upvote 0

cacemf

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2018
Washington, DC
✟56,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like all these coping strategies everyone has posted about. I am still working on finding ways to help combat my depression...right now, besides my faith holding me up, I'm on medication and I am in treatment and recovering from an eating disorder and ptsd (and all that comes with it)..so the support I'm receiving is aiding my depression, but I still feel its pull. I think the biggest thing to realize is that it takes time to unlearn behaviors, challenge thoughts, and reintroduce and practice newer healthier thinking and coping skills.

Upvote 0