• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Share the things that aided you suffering depression.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
During my life time i have battled depression on an almost daily basis. i've found many things to help me combat my depression. From God's Spirit as very best all the way down to simple vitamin tablets and the use of mindfulness in my life and in the world around me.

No 1) Jesus Christ - The Living Word in Spirit of loving truth in my heart.

No 2) Now the most blessed help i received in my life has definitely been here at Christian forums and some of the wonderful people i have been lucky enough to have met over the years. Many of those good truth and people loving people who's faith and blessings i have been allowed to witness, and receive often myself as well, have helped me more than anything else not to succumb to suicide. Suicide was a real battle raging inside of my heart at the time i joined all these years ago - as i had given up on life long before and only lived because my family wouldn't let me commit suicide.

These are just 2 supports i have enjoyed battling depression.

So many things that have helped me a person suffering from a depressive illness. Together i know for sure we could share with other depressed people on this forum.

if we make a collection of methods, mind sets, medications, supplements, or whatever else has helped you battle depression and share them on here then maybe such will spark a little light in some one else's depressed heart and mind and bring them love, faith or hope.

Go for it...

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ultram. It's generic is Tramadol. In moderation, under medical supervision. Sometimes those "ole 'lectrik e-motions" need a little help while racing through the brain. Sometimes folks get really upset (depression is the repression of anger) and throw their meds away. That's when they need to talk to someone.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
More people are helped by good nutrition than anything else. (it is actually harder to find anyone in the so-called professional health industry who will give up hundreds to thousands of dollars in income when there is a very inexpensive prevention nutritionally
than it is to find an honest politician) .....

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
During my life time i have battled depression on an almost daily basis. i've found many things to help me combat my depression. From God's Spirit as very best all the way down to simple vitamin tablets and the use of mindfulness in my life and in the world around me.

No 1) Jesus Christ - The Living Word in Spirit of loving truth in my heart.

No 2) Now the most blessed help i received in my life has definitely been here at Christian forums and some of the wonderful people i have been lucky enough to have met over the years. Many of those good truth and people loving people who's faith and blessings i have been allowed to witness, and receive often myself as well, have helped me more than anything else not to succumb to suicide. Suicide was a real battle raging inside of my heart at the time i joined all these years ago - as i had given up on life long before and only lived because my family wouldn't let me commit suicide.

These are just 2 supports i have enjoyed battling depression.

So many things that have helped me a person suffering from a depressive illness. Together i know for sure we could share with other depressed people on this forum.

if we make a collection of methods, mind sets, medications, supplements, or whatever else has helped you battle depression and share them on here then maybe such will spark a little light in some one else's depressed heart and mind and bring them love, faith or hope.

Go for it...

It seems to me that medication fights the symptoms rather than the root cause. I've talked with people who have been helped by medication, so I'm sure that it has helped some people, but I've talked with many more people who have been seriously messed over by their medications, so I find it very difficult to recommend, though I am no physchatrist. Sadly, depression can be caused by our diet and most people would rather take a pill than change their diet. Another source of depression stems from focusing on ourselves and our problems, so an excellent way to beat depression is to shift that focus onto helping others through volunteering in your community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Im too confused
Why ?
No matter what, get tested to see what is lacking, then it is simple - take what is lacking.
It can take a few years to find a licensed doctor willing to test for what is lacking, and willing to give what is lacking, but it always works.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@hope that is nonsenses why should we not be allowed to share what really helped, forbidding the truth on a Christian forum is always going to be a flawed decision - i can't see no reason why sharing what aids people suffering depression can be wrong.

As long as people don't go around saying don't go to your doctor or go of your meds that is nonsense but surely we can share what benefited us the most?

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@FreeinChrist
lets ask the staff about this part, as its getting too confusing as to whether or not we can name supplements and name brands of meds at all...

I'm too confused

EDIT to add: I'm too confused about whether or not we can name meds by brand as well as any supplements here in the recovery section.

I am confused as to whether or not we can give real actual advice as peers or that we cannot give any advice.

I dont know how to share information anymore.

@FreeinChrist someone help us with this, as I'm cant figure out what to do any more here as far as sharing advice or what meds to take, vitamins or supplements.

Let hope @FreeinChrist can also set us free!

Upvote 0

Bee_in_the_Light

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2017
Häme
✟64,811.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
1. Medication helps a lot. Just like someone said, medication is for symptoms, not the root cause. However, without first treating the symptoms, you're not likely going to find the energy to treat the root causes.

Even with all the side effects, they are a true blessing.

2. Talking about it, with psychologists and others. Treating the root causes will involve a lot of contemplation. And contemplation is best done with company, and even better if it is someone with education in counseling.

3. Loneliness. Spending time alone has helped me a lot. Too much takes you over the edge, though.

4. Music. Especially anything sung by Andreas Scholl. The unnaturalness of a countertenor voice just takes me above all my sorrows. Check "O Jesu, Nomen Dulce" in youtube, if you don't know what it's all about. Also pretty much anything composed by Heinrich Schütz, Claudio Monteverdi or Henry Purcell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. Medication helps a lot. Just like someone said, medication is for symptoms, not the root cause. However, without first treating the symptoms, you're not likely going to find the energy to treat the root causes.

Even with all the side effects, they are a true blessing.

2. Talking about it, with psychologists and others. Treating the root causes will involve a lot of contemplation. And contemplation is best done with company, and even better if it is someone with education in counseling.

3. Loneliness. Spending time alone has helped me a lot. Too much takes you over the edge, though.

4. Music. Especially anything sung by Andreas Scholl. The unnaturalness of a countertenor voice just takes me above all my sorrows. Check "O Jesu, Nomen Dulce" in youtube, if you don't know what it's all about. Also pretty much anything composed by Heinrich Schütz, Claudio Monteverdi or Henry Purcell.

Yes i found medications and counseling helpful as well as practicing mindfulness and meditation on God's blessings in particular very helpful.

Also music has been a big winner in my life. Scripture in song i found best with Sherri Youngward, and the Sons of Korah, an Australian band, as my best musicians.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
However, without first treating the symptoms, you're not likely going to find the energy to treat the root causes.
This seems almost honest and contradictory at the same time.

If someone is depressed because of a B-vitamin deficiency, for example (the most common cause), then giving the B-vitamins takes care of this right away (symptoms AND cause at the same time), without any negative direction, and can be "tried" while investigating other possible causes as well.
Just so happens that would also provide more 'energy' most often, in order to find out more 'happily' about other causes also, if the deficiency is not the only 'root' cause.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This seems almost honest and contradictory at the same time.

If someone is depressed because of a B-vitamin deficiency, for example (the most common cause), then giving the B-vitamins takes care of this right away (symptoms AND cause at the same time), without any negative direction, and can be "tried" while investigating other possible causes as well.
Just so happens that would also provide more 'energy' most often, in order to find out more 'happily' about other causes also, if the deficiency is not the only 'root' cause.

This could be true if vitamin B is the single one cause of a persons depression, however often, maybe even more often than we might think, there are other underlaying medical or otherwise reasons contributing to a person's depression.

For example in my battle with depression, which by the way is ongoing, both medications as well as supplements helped a great deal and took much pain and suffering from me. Yet counseling and medications remain the order of the day because the depression remains active like a sleeping volcano ready to blow puff of smoke any day. This is because i have a physical and psychological condition that is ever reoccurring and cannot just be dispelled with medications or vitamins

So yes like you i would advise anyone to check on their vitamin and minerals and also their diet. Going of sugar, for example, has been of greatest benefit to settle down my over active mind, and also reduced my anxiety, however i still get anxiety sometimes for days on end and need to medicate myself against it.

People need help not more fear and confusion about what or what not to do but clarity and unbiased information. Or at least that is what i reckon.

Peace

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This could be true if vitamin B is the single one cause of a persons depression, however often, maybe even more often than we might think, there are other underlaying medical or otherwise reasons contributing to a person's depression.
i.e. it is true that good nutrition(not just one or two things) overall is required for optimum health,
and good life practices overall (or generally?) also, a clean life spiritually, mentally and physically as much as possible within a person's choice, knowledge and free will/freedom. God's Word covers all the possibilities: spiritual, soulish, mental and physical, but is often not known, or worse may be neglected when known.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Here's what has helped me with depression:

Exercise
I usually swim but have been known to hike, do cardio drumming, dance, bike. On the days I'm not physically up to that, I do some sit ups and small weights while sitting down.
Diet
Sugar and processed food is not my friend. I try to stick with whole foods and use organic as much as possible. No dairy works better for me. My daughter helps me once a week with chopping and prepping meal ingredients so all I have to do is go the fridge and put it together.
Knowing and accepting who I am
I function better when I have chunks of time for quiet, solitude and reflection. I need to create in some way, whether it's music, art, sewing, writing poetry/prose, spinning. I intentionally look for beauty around me. Each of us has God given personality and gifts that suit us. I try not to compare myself with anyone else.
Vitamin B
I get the shots because it works better for me.
Vitamin D
This has been helpful for my immune system as well as the battle against fatigue, well B is good for the fatigue, also.
I plan ahead
There are certain times of the year or month that can affect me. So I make it my business to have a plan in place. Feb. is usually the worst month for me, so I play more music, watch upbeat movies, splurge on hair and nails. I keep a box of encouraging sayings and thoughts to look through when I'm feeling down. There are times when I miss my mom and instead of letting the grief drag me down, I sidetrack myself with a project or read or watch a movie until it passes. The point is, if you know there are cycles of down times do something to prepare for them and ask for help if you need it.
Volunteer
There is healing in service because it changes my outlook and keeps me from being to inward. Find a way to help someone or some organization. Visit a nursing home, read to the elderly, help a homeless shelter, help out at the food pantry, send cards to the military. Find something that fits who you are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Medication, therapy, music, my friends and writing. Also exercise and volunteer work.

Writing has been one of my best aids fighting mental illness. For keeping a prayer journal for many years for example taught me to understand my spiritual dilemmas from a day by day perspective, dairies can be very helpful as well achieving such inner insight and understanding of oneself.

And yes i agree volunteer work is also very helpful, especially helping those who are down and out or hurt or in other ways need lots of love and care, be they people, animals or even plants.

As a matter of fact actively loving is one of the very best things a depressed person can do for the wages of loving are ability, patient endurance, gentleness, kindness, self-control, joy, outside ourselves focused, and grace. These are all inner realities that bring us satisfaction and contentment. Such are the very things which are so often sorely missing in our depressed life. Or at least they were in mine for many years and i'm very glad i found them back learning to love others as well as myself.

Peace

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have dealt with depression nearly all my life. I responded to it with very unhealthy coping skills in my teens and early twenties, primarily eating disorders, which of course depleted my body and made the depression worse.

At age twenty one I discovered nutrition gradually changed my diet to full-fledged whole foods eating, no refined sugars, no caffeine, lots of fruits, veg, whole grains, mostly organic, lots of exercise, etc . I even trained and became an herbalist and treated myself with herbs. All of this definitely helped lesson and manage the depression, but it was still there and without notice could drag me into some pretty dangerous places. I saw counselors, read all the books, took all the right supplements, found the Lord, and during bouts of depression would watch good true teachers of God's word six or eight hours a day. I'd pray and pray, but the depression did not cease until I conceded and began on a very small dose of the medication I'd been so opposed to. Being a tried and true nature girl, that was a sincere act of faith for me, and very likely the answer to my prayers. Within a short time the difference was like night and day.

To those of you who do not believe in meds, I totally get it. I had been trained by both the holistic world and the church to oppose them, and by anyone's standards I was doing everything right, but the truth I think I face is that my childhood home was a war zone. I was terrified most of the time, and physiologically I believe my serotonin was a casualty of war. I think the stress thwarted it so much and so often that my body just stopped making it, or at least minimized it. And the meds brought it back.

I think, in a perfect world, the green juice life could have brought it back without the use of meds. And I suspect because still drink green juice, avoid toxins, faithfully exercise and all, that perhaps when I retire in a few years, I won't need the meds. But for now, there are stresses and I suspect they are still capable of sending that old physiological message, and I'm just not willing to crash again.

I think the reason I need so little medication is because of the nutrition, exercise and herbs. But the meds seem to be an integral part of the mix. I also mean in no way to downplay the Lord's part in my recovery. It is a miracle, His miracle, that I survived and that in my impossibly foggy depressive state, with the church ( who was unaware of my perfect suicide plan) adamantly steering me away from the meds I was already predisposed to be against, that I ever made it. But I did, and I'm soooooo grateful!

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Speaking as a current psychology major...
Excercise is number one, not because it's the most effective, but because it's fairly effective and easy and free. As more and more studies are being conducted, more and more evidence (statistical and empirical) is being found to show the postive brain chemicals being released & the number of people that have been helped by it. It's a lot like zinc oxide: It will very much help the problem, but it won't quite kill it.
Two methods of exercise seem to be extra helpful: excercising with others (taking a walk with your dad, joining a yoga group, etc.), and working out. Watching the amount you lift rise, the amount you can run rise, and you'll get a great sense of satisfaction.
Getting better connected with the people around you is also crucial. From my own experience in depression, my saving graces were my friends that didn't even realize they were helping me, or even that I was feeling bad. Just being there with someone is enough to help them tremendously. Going to social events, concerts or parties or whatever your interest is, is a good start. Even if you're not comfortable talking to strangers, there will likely be some outgoing strangers comfortable talking with you (or friends you didn't expect to see!). If nothing else, doing this gets you out of sitting depressed in your bedroom, and gives something else to think about, with hopefully positive memories.
Stick to your religion. Study after study shows that religious people have far less of any negative conditions than nonreligious, and more devoutly religious that more lukewarm religious. The main reasons for this is that religion gives you social support (friends at church, life groups, etc.), and, more importantly from my experience, the belief that all of this will lead somewhere good, the belief that there's a higher power guiding everything that's happening. Religion gives an immense sense of hope to all believers.
Yoga and meditation are both great clearers of the mind, with no negative side effects that I know of.
Drugs suck; they're expensive, and loaded with side effects, and many don't actually do anything more than a placebo. I'd really only recommend them for serious cases that need help now, and even then I'm hesitant, because they can make the problem worse, oftentimes by leading to addiction.
Oh, and here's a great piece of advice that came to me in prayers for helping people with these conditions:
Whatever you're doing, do something different. Not necessarily because what you're doing is bad, but because doing something different can "shake it up", so to speak. Variety is a crucial but overlooked ingredient in our mental diets, and anyone can benefit greatly from it.

Upvote 0