Share pictures, videos, music or anything else that make you :)

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 1.08.52 AM.png

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In hurricane-ravaged areas of Florida areas that once known for their lovely trees now look bleak because the majority have been ripped out from the roots or broken. When I was there in October volunteering in the immediate aftermath of the storm, we had to take massive detours and get creative with transportation due to most roads being impassable with so many fallen trees. Now the trees have been chopped up and the roads clear, so you can drive around but everywhere you go, you see their carcass. People made an effort to add a bit of friendliness, painting smily faces:
IMG_2824.jpeg
IMG_2831.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Lets talk a little more about vaccines - What's true & What isn't.

Myth 1: Vaccines contain many harmful ingredients
Vaccines contain products that allow them to be safely administered. Any product can be considered harmful when administered in high doses - even water. Vaccines contain products that improve storage and administration capacity. Those products exist in lower concentrations then would be otherwise found in your natural environment. For example, some vaccines contain an amount of mercury in levels lower than that found in products such as milk or fish. Formaldehyde is a product found in some vaccines, yet the amount is less than what humans are exposed to from cosmetics or car exhaust. Aluminium is also contained in some vaccines, at a level well below the amount normally consumed daily. Much is made of these products by those opposing vaccination, yet there is no evidence to support the claims made by anti-vaccination campaigners that these products have resulted in any harm.

Myth 2: Vaccines cause autism and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
This is a common myth that has been researched through several longitudinal trials internationally. The myth arose from a study conducted in 1998 concerning the Measles Mumps and Rubella vaccination. That study has now been retracted by the journal that published it on the grounds that it was heavily flawed and contained 'significantly bad science'. There is no evidence to support this myth.

Myth 3: Vaccine-preventable diseases are just part of childhood. It is better to have the disease than become immune through vaccines.

Vaccine preventable diseases can have serious complications. Vaccines stimulate the immune response and offer protection against the disease, whilst not exposing you to the actual disease or its complications.

Myth 4: It's my choice. I'm doing no harm to anyone by electing not to vaccinate.
This is untrue. Vaccination not only protects you, but eliminates the possibility that YOU will infect another vulnerable person.
Infants, pregnant women and immunocompromised people who cannot receive vaccines rely on you NOT to pass on a disease to them. If the entire population was vaccinated, this vulnerable group would have protection. How would you (or your child) feel passing on measles to a newborn child that resulted in its death. Anti-vaccination advocates are in fact supporting a program that does harm to the community.

Myth 5: A child can actually get the disease from a vaccine.
Most vaccines contained an attenuated virus (ie a virus that has been killed). Some though, such as chicken pox, use a live virus. This group of vaccines can result in a mild form of the disease, typically in the form of a rash. All substances, whether natural products or synthetic, have the potential to cause a allergic reaction. For this reason your doctor is trained to screen you for the potential of such a reaction.

There are numerous sites to gain further information. If you are inclined towards anti-vaccination, could you at least balance your opinions with information provided by the World Health Organisation, or the Centre for Communicable Diseases in your state.

Information in the post is gained from:
Department of Health | Communicable diseases information
Fact or Fiction?: Vaccines Are Dangerous

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I just love this film. I saw this film a few years ago. In the last week of my summer break Ive re-visited a few of my favourites. This one touched me. A beautiful film made in Turkey covering the oppressive lives of four teen sisters.

• Informative
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
cb021319dapc.jpg

Though this actually doesn't make me smile. It just ties into the posts above. It does lift my spirits that increased attention will hopefully help to motivate parents to vaccinate. Despite all the focus on anti-vaxxers, they actually constitute a small percentage of the population. Far more are under vaccinated rather than unvaccinated. This is mostly due not to anti-vaccination sentiments, but practical reasons such as taking time off of work, and in some cases costs involved. Those children are often from less privileged socioeconomic backgrounds, and are more vulnerable. There are more public health outreach efforts to reach such kids, so they can receive all their vaccinations conveniently and without cost, and there's more parents insisting on having their children up to date on vaccinations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private