moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Black Friday ruckus, firing changes 73-year-old Walmart greeter's life - Tampa Bay Times

What happened at 10:33 p.m., Sullivan still doesn't entirely understand.

A 40-something-year-old woman in jeans and a baggy sweater wanted, then demanded, to leave through that entrance. After a brief disagreement, Sullivan says, the woman pushed her. Sullivan says she thought she was falling, so she reached out and clutched the woman's sweater. After she let go, the woman stomped out, and Sullivan never saw her again.

A manager called Sullivan into a back office about an hour later. He had seen the incident on a security video. Walmart employees, he told her, could not touch customers under any circumstances. He suspended her and told her to leave the property. On Sunday, a manager called her back in. He fired her, she says, and asked that she not speak to anyone on her way out.

They say they fired her because she "touched a customer" But I believe they fired her because
She stopped getting raises in the last year or two because, Sullivan says, her pay had surpassed the maximum a greeter could earn. She made $15.32 an hour. "Big money," she says proudly.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, clearly it would have been better if she'd gone over backwards, smashed her head on the concrete floor, and ended up with a hemmorhaging concussion and a blood clot in her brain leading to a stroke. At least she wouldn't have broken the rules. :doh:

I find it interesting that when something like this happens, the Usual Suspects all sniff haughtily and say, "Well, she broke the rules! She deserved what she got!"------but when it comes to a pack of scumbags like Occupy Wall Street, well, that's diffo! In that case, the rules were wrong, and they needed to be broken!

Yeah. Right.

Once again, we see the death of common sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, she got what she deserved. Clearly it would have been better if she'd gone over backwards, smashed her head on the concrete floor, and ended up with a hemmorhaging concussion and a blood clot in her brain leading to a stroke. At least she wouldn't have broken the rules.

If she didn't agree with the policy, she could have found work elsewhere.
Policy is policy.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If she didn't agree with the policy, she could have found work elsewhere.

Wow....and yet they say conservatives are heartless and uncaring. ^_^

Policy is policy.

And right is right, and wrong is wrong----and in this case, Wal-Mart is wrong.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow....and yet they say conservatives are heartless and uncaring. ^_^
What? I am espousing conservative views. If employees don't like their employers rules, they should not whine about it, but instead find new work

And right is right, and wrong is wrong----and in this case, Wal-Mart is wrong.

I thought we were going with disobeying the rules is wrong, and obeying them is right. Wal*Mart had rules, they enforced them. Don't try to beat up on the poor corporation. :)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
What? I am espousing conservative views. If employees don't like their employers rules, they should not whine about it, but instead find new work

I thought we were going with disobeying the rules is wrong, and obeying them is right. Wal*Mart had rules, they enforced them. Don't try to beat up on the poor corporation. :)

So you're just mocking convservatives via your posts? Interesting...

Assuming everything she says is true, I'd say they were definitely wrong. I do wonder, however, because of this line:

Walmart had presented the state with a handful of grainy images taken from a video recording, Sullivan says. They show her gripping the woman's sweater, but don't explain what led to it. She has never seen the video.
Sullivan has contacted at least three law firms. Only one called back, to say they couldn't help.

Really? She couldn't find one lawyer that'd take her case? Not saying she's lying, but corporations like Wal-Mart usually don't fight if lawyers are involved because bad PR would cost them more than paying whatever the other party is asking.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Why does it matter who is at fault here, shouldn't our response be compassion for the lady and pray for all the people involved?

Indeed, brother. She also needs justice. We are admonished to defend those who are in need of defense, and to lift our voices in defense of the defenseless.

Reactions: moonkitty
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you're just mocking convservatives via your posts? Interesting...

Assuming everything she says is true, I'd say they were definitely wrong. I do wonder, however, because of this line:

Really? She couldn't find one lawyer that'd take her case? Not saying she's lying, but corporations like Wal-Mart usually don't fight if lawyers are involved because bad PR would cost them more than paying whatever the other party is asking.

Fl. is a right to work state. A friend of mine who worked for Macy's cosmetic counter was let go because the manger there thought she was "too fat" a whooping size 6. She contacted just about every law firm in central Fl, only to be told that it was not a win-able case.

Upvote 0

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Dec 29, 2004
Kentucky
✟1,343.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really? She couldn't find one lawyer that'd take her case? Not saying she's lying, but corporations like Wal-Mart usually don't fight if lawyers are involved because bad PR would cost them more than paying whatever the other party is asking
Wal-Mart fights lawsuits, vigorously.

Upvote 0