Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to the JCC Fellowship Forum!

We'd like to get to know each other better so this is the place to do it.

Just give a brief introduction of yourself, a bit about your background and anything else you'd like to share with us.

We're all Mishpocha so don't be shy!

Reactions: Tishri1

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi folks,

Born Jewish, raised Orthodox, became a Christian about 27 years ago. Ordained servant of the Word. I keep kosher and other Jewish practices that compliment and do not conflict with my faith in Jesus.

Been on CF for ages it seems. I rarely post and wish I had time for more.

:)

Upvote 0

ShaulHaTarsi

Jul 9, 2016
USA
✟8,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Orthodox and studied in various Yeshivas. I still have a Hebrew תנ"ך which I read from regularly, and have been recently brushing up on my Talmudic Aramaic to better understand how much of the Torah was understood during late antiquity and through the early Church.

Reactions: Tishri1
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi folks! I'm of Jewish descent, and thought I was Jewish. I was raised fundamentalist but we were weird because my family kept many Jewish traditions such as resting on Sabbath, not even going into places of business on Sabbath, not eating pork or shellfish. So if the Church youth group had pepperoni pizza I was out of luck or if they went out to McDonalds on Sabbath too bad for me.

A time came in my life that the treatment of Jews in history by the Church just became too much for me. I lost my faith in Christ. During this time I wanted to begin observing Judaism but came to find I was not considered a Jew. I went through three years of Orthodox conversion and absolutely loved living Orthodox. However, just weeks before going up before the Beit Din, I became seriously ill (like go on disability ill) and had to move in with family, meaning I could no longer keep completely kosher. I then entered into conversion with a Reform synagogue (the only synagogue in the area) and studied for a year with them. My final preparation was with the Conservatives. I was converted by a Conservative Beit Din.

I missed Orthodox life, and commuted quite a distance to be involved with a Chabad house, except on Shabbat, which I kept at home so I didn't have to drive. After a while I missed going to synagogue too much, and started going to the Reform synagogue on Shabbat. Then began the push me pull you about synagogue verses driving and travel. I now occasionally attend synogogue, but mostly keep Shabbat at home. I observe to Conservative standards.

After many years, I had to confess I still longed for things like confession and Eucharist. I sat down and had a long talk with my Rabbi. His recommendation was to attend Mass and get it out of my system. He assured me that being in a church wasn't going to make me a Christian any more than being in a McDonalds would make me a hamburger.

That just made the longing worse. I missed having a Savior who died for me, a God who had suffered as I suffered, who cried every tear I cried. The problem was, I just didn't believe what Christians believed. I figured, I had given the Rabbi a shot. It was only fair I give the priest a shot.

I cried through the whole appointment. The priest basically wondered why, if I felt so conflicted, I didn't just return to the Church. But obviously I didn't believe. Do you WANT to believe? he asked. I supposed so, but what good does that do if it's not true. How could I make a valid confession? Then he suggested, How about, Lord I believe, help me my unbelief. I could do that. And with that confession, I returned to Christ. Quite unexpectedly.

And so I am a Hebrew Catholic: a Jewish Christian who both believes in Moshiach, and keeps her Jewish identity by keeping Jewish laws and traditions while honoring all the Catholic obligations. I keep Shabbat on Saturday, and attend Mass on Sunday, etc. To me its like two intersecting circles: one is labeled Israel, and the other is labeled The Church. I exist in the intersection.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi :wave: I've been around awhile. I use to say a lot, now not so much. I live in an area where there is no Messianic Judaism congregation within at least an hours drive. All that I've found are at the least 3 hours drive away. So right now I'm not going anywhere :(

There is a group in town that claims to be Hebrew Roots and while they are really nice people, they have some screwy doctrines that I feel I just cannot support. So I pretty much practice Messianic Judaism alone. I do have one friend in town who practices Judaism and she believes Yeshua is Messiah. Occasionally we are able to get together for Shabbat, which is nice.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi :wave: I've been around awhile. I use to say a lot, now not so much. I live in an area where there is no Messianic Judaism congregation within at least an hours drive. All that I've found are at the least 3 hours drive away. So right now I'm not going anywhere :(

There is a group in town that claims to be Hebrew Roots and while they are really nice people, they have some screwy doctrines that I feel I just cannot support. So I pretty much practice Messianic Judaism alone. I do have one friend in town who practices Judaism and she believes Yeshua is Messiah. Occasionally we are able to get together for Shabbat, which is nice.
I understand your isolation in not having an MJ community nearby. In my neck of the woods, there is only one MJ synagogue, and it is entirely made up of Gentiles and, well, it is my desire to worship with my fellow Jews. This is why I sometimes go to a regular Jewish synagogue. I'm so glad that you have a real friend who is a believer who also practices Judaism--baruch Hashem! May all your shabbats be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

What "screwy doctrines" do they believe, for example?

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
What "screwy doctrines" do they believe, for example?
Well, the one that was the final straw for me was that if you're sick it's a sin you've committed. They won't pray for you. They have a book that lists what sickness applies to what sin and you have to seek God, repent, then you'll be healed. :( I asked for prayer and that was what I was told.

Now I do believe that some sickness is caused from sin, but not all. At the very least they could have prayed that God would show me what part I may play in the sickness and show me what to do, if anything. I believe scripture does instruct us to "lay hands on the sick and pray".

I don't wish to go on a tirade against them though. I liked them individually, but I cannot support that doctrine, along with a few others. I just felt very alone and uncared about. The husbands and wives pray for each other, they pray for their children, and the two older singles (me and one other senior age woman) were just forgotten. I don't know that that was on purpose but when it happens every week????? :(

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, the one that was the final straw for me was that if you're sick it's a sin you've committed. They won't pray for you. They have a book that lists what sickness applies to what sin and you have to seek God, repent, then you'll be healed.
Yeah, that's pretty out there.

Upvote 0

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
And so I am a Hebrew Catholic: a Jewish Christian who both believes in Moshiach, and keeps her Jewish identity by keeping Jewish laws and traditions while honoring all the Catholic obligations. I keep Shabbat on Saturday, and attend Mass on Sunday, etc. To me its like two intersecting circles: one is labeled Israel, and the other is labeled The Church. I exist in the intersection.

Do you intepret "Lord's day" in Rev 1:10 as Yom Shabbat or Yom Rishon?

Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you intepret "Lord's day" in Rev 1:10 as Yom Shabbat or Yom Rishon?

Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet
The Lord's Day in Rev 1:10 refers to Sunday (most readers aren't aware that Yom Rishon means First Day), the day which Christ arose. The Early Church began meeting on Sunday for worship and the breaking of bread very early on, and certainly the Gentile churches replaced keeping the Sabbath with Sunday worship. We know this from Early Church writings,particularly Ignatius' epistle to the Magnesians in 110 AD: "no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day..."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Lord's Day in Rev 1:10 refers to Sunday (most readers aren't aware that Yom Rishon means First Day), the day which Christ arose. The Early Church began meeting on Sunday for worship and the breaking of bread very early on, and certainly the Gentile churches replaced keeping the Sabbath with Sunday worship. We know this from Early Church writings,particularly Ignatius' epistle to the Magnesians in 110 AD: "no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day..."
Exactly where in Torah is man told they can change the Sabbath and no longer observe it?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Exactly where in Torah is man told they can change the Sabbath and no longer observe it?
Did I say it was in Torah? No. In fact, I didn't even say it was in the NT. I said it was with the ECF, like Ignatius in 110 AD, although given the clarification by the ECF it becomes obvious that Revelation 1:10 and Acts 20:7 were about keeping the Lord's Day on Sunday. And it wasn't a matter of CHANGING the Sabbath. Rather they stopped observing the Sabbath and started observing the Lord's day instead (or at least Gentile believers did). This was later explained in church history as moving the SOLEMNITY of the Sabbath to Sunday.

Authority is given to the Church to do these sorts of things: see Acts 15 where Gentile believers are determined to not have to become circumcised (meaning they do not have to become Jews and observe Torah Law). Christ said many things to this extent, such as "Whoever listens to you listens to me," "Whatsoever you bind on earth you bind in heaven," "I give you the keys"...All words granting authority to the Church (represented by the Apostles).

You probably realized that the Prophets how the power to suspend aspects of the Law, such as when Hosea suspended the offering of Sacrifices and the substitution of prayer when the temple was destroyed. (Hosea 14:2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
It was just a question. That was kind of my point though....if what it says in Torah is that it's FOREVER, then it's forever. (Ex 31:16). That's not something that man has been given to change as he pleases. There is nothing wrong with observing the Lord's Day, however, it does not mean it's OK to stop observing Sabbath, no matter what Ignatius observed and wrote. The early church started out observing both but somewhere along the line came to adopt the opinion that it was ok to drop the one God set up for just the one man set up. The recording of it in church history does not mean that God was ok with it, just that it happened.

As far as Hosea and the Temple goes, since the Temple was destroyed, then wouldn't they have been breaking the law by trying to keep those things that were required to be done in a Temple? Again, just a question, not a confrontation. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It was just a question. That was kind of my point though....if what it says in Torah is that it's FOREVER, then it's forever. (Ex 31:16). That's not something that man has been given to change as he pleases. There is nothing wrong with observing the Lord's Day, however, it does not mean it's OK to stop observing Sabbath, no matter what Ignatius observed and wrote. The early church started out observing both but somewhere along the line came to adopt the opinion that it was ok to drop the one God set up for just the one man set up. The recording of it in church history does not mean that God was ok with it, just that it happened.

As far as Hosea and the Temple goes, since the Temple was destroyed, then wouldn't they have been breaking the law by trying to keep those things that were required to be done in a Temple? Again, just a question, not a confrontation. :)
I see nothing in the Torah which demands Sabbath observance for all of humanity. Genesis talks about God establishing the Sabbath but does not require its observance. Exodus and Deuteronomy require its observance, but only by Israel. This forum is an outreach to Jews, who will be the first to say that Gentiles are not required to keep Shabbat. Personally, I think that anyone who voluntarily takes on Sabbath observance will be blessed. I suggest we agree to disagree agreeably and drop the argument since this is a fellowship forum, and not a debate forum. Love ya, Sis!

Upvote 0