Visit site
✟434,922.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's kind of the point. Knowing where your food is coming from.

Once people begin realizing that distributism is a concept that can be enacted from the bottom up, that anybody can help make it happen, it could put the megachains out of business.

From the title of the thread, the first thing I thought of was nuns...

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's kind of the point. Knowing where your food is coming from.

Once people begin realizing that distributism is a concept that can be enacted from the bottom up, that anybody can help make it happen, it could put the megachains out of business.

From the title of the thread, the first thing I thought of was nuns...
^_^^_^^_^

You gave me the giggles I did not think of that ... Thanks for the advice and the input I think that makes lots of sense:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Man behind cheap Greek food wants to see direct farm-to-consumer sales spread through Europe - The Washington Post

Shall we start buying local ? From our farmers? Their prices here in the US are higher than the chain Super Market... that is sad considering they do not get their prices cut by the middle man...

What do you think? Maybe the co-ops are a better solution? Have not tried one such store front have you ? What is your take and advice?
My husband has suggested this on at least two occasions. With Monsanto out there, I think it would be wise to buy locally for our health.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,922.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
i think about this a lot. But then I think of the cost. and availability I don't feel good buying my fruits from chain stores but it enables us to feed our kids a lot of fruits and veggies on a daily basis throughout the year.

When your fruits and vegetables are waxed, are grown with chemicals to make them grow fast and make them so insects don't WANT to eat them, maybe that's not such a good thing.

I really get what you're saying, and totally sympathize. But since moving to Russia, I've gotten used to the idea of seasonal vegetables, and living without some things at certain times of the year. So now, watermelons are in August, strawberries in summer, and so on. I still remember the Gotterdammerung of 1991 here, when the national economy fell apart. Pizza Hut in Moscow (the only one in the nation) had exactly two vegetables - tomatoes and cucumbers - arranged twenty-five different ways in the salad bar...

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will try to buy local no matter what... I know it competes with Trader's Joe and with our local chain...but if the prices are NOT right then like Joshua it will make it hard not to buy my regular organic from TJ.... even though I would want to support local farming. We will see how it goes.
While living in Michigan I had a farm delivering every Monday 30 dollars worth of groceries "a bushel" (sp?) it was great as I got a wonderful variety of veggies from April to September :) I wish they had something similar here. I totally loved it!

Of course this year I will plant a veggie garden. God willing it will grow....

Reactions: Joshua G.
Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My family never really stopped - here in Australia there are still green grocers (fruit and vegetables) and butchers (meat) independent of stores, and they tend to source as much as possible locally. We buy all our meat from the butcher, and since they kill and prepare their own meat we know where it's from and how it's been treated. We've been going to the same place for more than 15 years :) it also has the benefit of being farm raised and killed, so morally we feel better about it (we're country people with no illusions about where our food comes from) and it also tastes better, for a fraction more money - worth every penny.

Fruit and veg is the same, and the quality is so much better even when it isn't necessarily organic, just grown properly.

I have a veggie garden too, as anyone who's friends with me on fb knows, and that has lots of veggies in it for really minimal work. I brought in a huge bowl of Roma tomatoes this morning and we had them roasted with a little bit of oil and basil on top with our salmon (not hugely expensive here and my famil eats it a lot) for dinner, with some other roasted veg not from my garden since the bell peppers are between crops and I didn't grow eggplants this year - next year. Having the garden is so rewarding and fun, and it tastes fantastic! If anyone is a bit daunted by the idea of setting up a vegie patch, get the book 'One Magic Square', it's brilliant and has companion planting plans for plots 1m (a bit over a yard) square, with everything from how to prepare the soil to recipes. Because it's only a metre at a time it's manageable... But be warned, it's addictive! I've got a second bed built and it just needs soil to be relocated there and seeds added, and I want to build a third but it's probably too late in fall to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's true that you often pay more for locally grown things. The reasons for that are fairly simple really - small farms are not subsidised by government the way large ones are, they typically have to pay for all their costs unlike huge farms that off-load them to society at large, vertical integration, keeping animals in immoral conditions and devestating the soil to save costs, etc.

It was not long ago that food costs were a significant portion of our budget - it took about 14 families to support one farmer - now it is 10 times that amount. People are going to have to get used to the idea that food, a basic necessity of life, is worth spending money on, and farmers deserve to get paid for their work.

There are a number of things to do to save money on food while also eating locally and sustainably. Eating seasonally as Rus suggested is a big one. In some areas it is difficult because locally produced veg are not easily available at stores or markets in the winter. One possibility is to find a CSA arrangement that runs in the winter. If that isn't available, the best option is to buy a freezer and in the produce season, freeze and preserve things for winter. It is also not difficult to build a small cold room for potatoes and similar crops. Properly frozen food is typically more nutrient rich than imported fresh food, btw.

As far as meat - the main solution is to eat less, and different types. You want to be buying "grass-fed" beef, and if possible pasture-raised pork. Cheaper cuts are easy to learn to cook, as well as less used parts like liver, kidney, oxtail, trotters, etc. If you buy a meat box in the Fall, you can often get it at reduced cost if you give up some of the popular cuts like chops oven roasts and ask for them to be replaced with things like hocks or pot-roasts.

Eating less in a meal can mean instead of using a chop or cut of meat for each plate, make things that incorporate only a small amount of meat - add a bit of chopped ham to a stew with some of the peaches you canned in the summer, for example. For most of human history meat has been eaten in significantly smaller quantities than today.

Old cookbooks can have great ideas for these kinds of meals, especially old war cookbooks. (One of my favorite war recipes is something called a "Buckinghamshire clanger" which uses biscuit dough, potatoes, onions, and a tiny amount of bacon.)

And growing a garden is absolutely the best solution. A suburban yard can actually grow a significant amount of your requirements, and even in cities where there is no yard community gardens are often available. The main thing is to start small so you don't get overwhelmed.

Upvote 0

Ann_of_Love

Aug 16, 2011
✟7,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I buy most of my meats from a market. I've noticed such a huge difference in quality, that I honestly don't mind the price difference. I had some frozen chicken recently that was from a supermarket, unfroze it, and was so grossed out by the difference in just how the meat looks/smells, I will never ever ever go back. Since my family is made up of carnivores, who will eat way more meat than veggies, I tend to try and make sure that at least the meat is healthy.

In the summer months, when it's available, there are two stands - one run by a peach farm, and another by a very nice Mennonite lady - where I do my veggie/fruit shopping.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If anyone is a bit daunted by the idea of setting up a vegie patch, get thts and Vetee book 'One Magic Square', it's brilliant and has companion planting plans for plots 1m (a bit over a yard) square, with everything from how to prepare the soil to recipes. Because it's only a metre at a time it's manageable... But be warned, it's addictive! I've got a second bed built and it just needs soil to be relocated there and seeds added, and I want to build a third but it's probably too late in fall to do so.

Another popular book along the same lines is "Square Foot Gardening".

I'd recommend How to Grow More Fruits and Vegetables than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land than You Can Imagine. It talks a lot more than Square Foot Garden about having a really sustainable garden.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I buy most of my meats from a market. I've noticed such a huge difference in quality, that I honestly don't mind the price difference. I had some frozen chicken recently that was from a supermarket, unfroze it, and was so grossed out by the difference in just how the meat looks/smells, I will never ever ever go back. Since my family is made up of carnivores, who will eat way more meat than veggies, I tend to try and make sure that at least the meat is healthy.

In the summer months, when it's available, there are two stands - one run by a peach farm, and another by a very nice Mennonite lady - where I do my veggie/fruit shopping.

They often inject chicken with water or pork extracted stuff, so it is no wonder it has such a weird texture.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Man behind cheap Greek food wants to see direct farm-to-consumer sales spread through Europe - The Washington Post

Shall we start buying local ? From our farmers? Their prices here in the US are higher than the chain Super Market... that is sad considering they do not get their prices cut by the middle man...

What do you think? Maybe the co-ops are a better solution? Have not tried one such store front have you ? What is your take and advice?

What is sad is that we've come to accept the unnaturally low prices of much of our produce as "normal", when they are anything but. Local prices are not high, they're just where they should be. Chain super market produce is absolute crap and the low prices reflect that.

My wife and I are just starting to produce our own food. We recently bought some "meat" to raise, breed, and slaughter, and we just built some raised garden beds for some vegetables. Our hope is to turn as much of our 4 acres into some kind of food production (growing vegetables and grazing animals). We'd like to be as self-sufficient as possible WRT food. There is a "natural farm" about a half hour away from us, and we're going to start doing some shopping there (we just discovered it), but we also really like the idea of bringing our food expenses down to an absolute minimum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's true that you often pay more for locally grown things. The reasons for that are fairly simple really - small farms are not subsidised by government the way large ones are, they typically have to pay for all their costs unlike huge farms that off-load them to society at large, vertical integration, keeping animals in immoral conditions and devestating the soil to save costs, etc.

It was not long ago that food costs were a significant portion of our budget - it took about 14 families to support one farmer - now it is 10 times that amount. People are going to have to get used to the idea that food, a basic necessity of life, is worth spending money on, and farmers deserve to get paid for their work.

There are a number of things to do to save money on food while also eating locally and sustainably. Eating seasonally as Rus suggested is a big one. In some areas it is difficult because locally produced veg are not easily available at stores or markets in the winter. One possibility is to find a CSA arrangement that runs in the winter. If that isn't available, the best option is to buy a freezer and in the produce season, freeze and preserve things for winter. It is also not difficult to build a small cold room for potatoes and similar crops. Properly frozen food is typically more nutrient rich than imported fresh food, btw.

As far as meat - the main solution is to eat less, and different types. You want to be buying "grass-fed" beef, and if possible pasture-raised pork. Cheaper cuts are easy to learn to cook, as well as less used parts like liver, kidney, oxtail, trotters, etc. If you buy a meat box in the Fall, you can often get it at reduced cost if you give up some of the popular cuts like chops oven roasts and ask for them to be replaced with things like hocks or pot-roasts.

Eating less in a meal can mean instead of using a chop or cut of meat for each plate, make things that incorporate only a small amount of meat - add a bit of chopped ham to a stew with some of the peaches you canned in the summer, for example. For most of human history meat has been eaten in significantly smaller quantities than today.

Old cookbooks can have great ideas for these kinds of meals, especially old war cookbooks. (One of my favorite war recipes is something called a "Buckinghamshire clanger" which uses biscuit dough, potatoes, onions, and a tiny amount of bacon.)

And growing a garden is absolutely the best solution. A suburban yard can actually grow a significant amount of your requirements, and even in cities where there is no yard community gardens are often available. The main thing is to start small so you don't get overwhelmed.
:thumbsup:Thanks for the input and information about the farming...I was not aware of that obviously and it makes sense :angel:

We are not too much of meat eaters either and not of large quantities I think the chinese got their portion of 80% veggies and 20% meat. We Greeks cook the same when we do veggies with meats. i was brought up like that and we had meat once a week; fish once a week and the rest chicken (back them was not too hormonal hehe) and veggies since we were fasting two days a week from meat anyhow....

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

:thumbsup:Ditto on the chicken....I will vomit if I smell the non-organic ones... I recently started buying grass fed beef and there is indeed a big difference.. For some of us who can afford it it is ok but if you cannot...? I stay within the budget and if I cannot afford I just do not buy ... I would rather eat right or eat less. It is healthier and you do not choke your system with chemicals :(

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is sad is that we've come to accept the unnaturally low prices of much of our produce as "normal", when they are anything but. Local prices are not high, they're just where they should be. Chain super market produce is absolute crap and the low prices reflect that.

My wife and I are just starting to produce our own food. We recently bought some "meat" to raise, breed, and slaughter, and we just built some raised garden beds for some vegetables. Our hope is to turn as much of our 4 acres into some kind of food production (growing vegetables and grazing animals). We'd like to be as self-sufficient as possible WRT food. There is a "natural farm" about a half hour away from us, and we're going to start doing some shopping there (we just discovered it), but we also really like the idea of bringing our food expenses down to an absolute minimum.
:amen:
Sounds like a good plan. I grew up in a suburb near by Athens (that now is a ...city like) but back then it had a dirt road and a large yard so we had all kinds of fruit trees, olive trees, vineyard and veggies plus our own chickens :D and ducks, as well as bunnies. It was easy to have a meal free at least twice a week! We never bought fruit either. Very rarely. Now I understand the value but the eggs were the best! True dark yellow eggs (almost orange) that smelled as such. :D
yeah the grocery bill was good too :) I still remember we rarely bought olives too... Dad made his own wine too and vinegar.
Take advatage of the farm near you. I have to find one that delivers too... I heard there is one.
oh...and about the live food.. I would not be able to slautter it...hehe.. I do not know how dad did it for he would be hiding his tears afterwards....

Ooh, good luck with all that, Knee-V! Just do everyone a favor and keep your future meals off the road, please! Free range shouldn't be too free! :thumbsup:

^_^^_^^_^
Maybe his freerange can run away and be YOUR free range if they meet with your car .... just sayin'

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ooh, good luck with all that, Knee-V! Just do everyone a favor and keep your future meals off the road, please! Free range shouldn't be too free! :thumbsup:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Knee-v wanted to give him a running start... ;)

Upvote 0