Shaking and trembling during baptism in fire - your thoughts?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if you are familiar with Mark Hemans. This is his YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmMLO7vxbA78hTr6EgguIYA

Mark Hemans is the main pastor of Jesus Encounter Ministries. You can read about it here: About

I just watched one of his videos in which a man is "baptized in fire" and starts trembling and shaking and feeling heat all over his body:

PREACHER BAPTISED IN FIRE & DELIVERED

What are your thoughts on this experience, and on Mark Hemans' ministry in general?

• Haha
Reactions: High Fidelity

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am concerned with how we turn out after we have had specific experiences.

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

Are we, then, becoming the way that is pleasing to our Father?

"Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" > in Philippians 2:13-16.

Are we relating, then, the way God's love has us relating?

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

Do our experiences have us isolated with ourselves, or is God bringing us . . . growing us . . . into more and more family sharing with Him and one another?

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They fell - in all directions:
-2Ch 5:14 "So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God."
-Rev 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
-Eze 44:4 "Then the man brought me by way of the north gate to the front of the temple. I looked, and the glory of the Lord filled his temple. And I fell facedown."
-They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.” John 18:5-6
-"Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face." Num 22:3
-"And it happened that when the priests came from the holy place, the cloud filled the house of the Lord, 11 so that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the house of the Lord." I Kings 8
-"And when they had prayed, the place in which they were assembled was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they continued to speak the Word of God with freedom and boldness and courage." Acts 4:31

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if you are familiar with Mark Hemans. This is his YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmMLO7vxbA78hTr6EgguIYA

Mark Hemans is the main pastor of Jesus Encounter Ministries. You can read about it here: About

I just watched one of his videos in which a man is "baptized in fire" and starts trembling and shaking and feeling heat all over his body:

What are your thoughts on this experience, and on Mark Hemans' ministry in general?

Jonathan Edwards - 1700's:

“It was a very frequent thing to see a house full of outcries, faintings, convulsions, and such like, both with distress, and also with admiration and joy.”[1] Edwards believed that at least some of these “fainting” experiences and “convulsions” resulted from authentic encounters with God.​

John Wesley (1703-1791) hailed from across the Atlantic Ocean in England. Wesley describes people falling as one of the “outward signs that so often accompanied the inward work of God.”

[1] Jonathan Edwards, “The Distinguishing Marks of the Work of the Spirit of God,” Jonathan Edwards on Revival (Edinburgh: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1984), 64.

[2] John Wesley, The Works of John Wesley, 3rd ed., vol. 1 (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1979), 210 and 196.

I have no idea who Mark Hemas is, nor will I comment on his ministry. I do know who Jonathan Edwards and John Wesley were

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

PREACHER BAPTISED IN FIRE & DELIVERED

Yes, fire would certainly hurt. This is why we are baptized by living waters through Jesus Christ of Nazareth to receive His Holy Spirit. Fire is actually what Jesus Christ of Nazareth will do to those who reject Him. Here is the verse, maybe a fresh reading will bring understanding. Blessings.
Matthew 3
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, 9and do not think to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. 10And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 11I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit [a]and fire. 12His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Gift of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost

Acts 2:1 (WEB) Now when the day of Pentecost had come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 Suddenly there came from the sky a sound like the rushing of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 Tongues like fire appeared and were distributed to them, and one sat on each of them. 4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other languages, as the Spirit gave them the ability to speak. 5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under the sky. 6 When this sound was heard, the multitude came together and were bewildered, because everyone heard them speaking in his own language. 7 They were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Behold, aren’t all these who speak Galileans? 8 How do we hear, everyone in our own native language? 9 Parthians, Medes, Elamites, and people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the parts of Libya around Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabians: we hear them speaking in our languages the mighty works of God!”

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, fire would certainly hurt. This is why we are baptized by living waters through Jesus Christ of Nazareth to receive His Holy Spirit. Fire is actually what Jesus Christ of Nazareth will do to those who reject Him. Here is the verse, maybe a fresh reading will bring understanding. Blessings.
Matthew 3
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, 9and do not think to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. 10And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 11I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit [a]and fire. 12His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

The Gift of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost

Acts 2:1 (WEB) Now when the day of Pentecost had come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 Suddenly there came from the sky a sound like the rushing of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 Tongues like fire appeared and were distributed to them, and one sat on each of them. 4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other languages, as the Spirit gave them the ability to speak. 5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under the sky. 6 When this sound was heard, the multitude came together and were bewildered, because everyone heard them speaking in his own language. 7 They were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Behold, aren’t all these who speak Galileans? 8 How do we hear, everyone in our own native language? 9 Parthians, Medes, Elamites, and people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the parts of Libya around Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabians: we hear them speaking in our languages the mighty works of God!”

The Holy Spirit is referred to as both water and fire - both are types, not literal. He is also typed as oil, wind, breath. not one is a literal manifestation, but an attempt at describing the event.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So far so good...

The authenticity cannot be judged by means of the presence of shaking, falling, even being rendered blind.

So what should we look for... ???

1. The Gospel being preached with great boldness to the poor.

2. Believers congregating in loving fellowship.

3. Lives transformed and relationships healed.

4. Testimonies of 3. being openly shared resulting in spontaneous thanks, praise and worship of Jesus.

5. The Fear of God being with the believers and their number being multiplied.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit is referred to as both water and fire - both are types, not literal. He is also typed as oil, wind, breath. not one is a literal manifestation, but an attempt at describing the event.
Yes both fire and water however living waters is opposite from unquenchable fire. In other words, He who dwells in us is through water, born again, not fire . The Holy Spirit came upon Jesus Christ of Nazareth as a dove. We should make note of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes both fire and water however living waters is opposite from unquenchable fire. In other words, He who dwells in us is through water, born again, not fire the second death.

Certainly, In those verses you are correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟700,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that believers and unbelievers are destined to face the fires of judgement.

The more we experience the fires of refinement, in this life, that brings sanctification, the less will be burned away later.

John 15:I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

Romans 5:For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 3

12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13 each one’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each one’s work. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet only so as through fire.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟561,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If people are worried about keeping up appearances, then they would not want to be among the believers in the book of Acts. They were constantly being called fools and drunks and madmen not only for their behavior when baptized with the Spirit, but also for their testimony about the resurrection.

Act 2
13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

1 Corin 14
11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
23 If therefore the whole church come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Act 17
31 He has set a day when he will judge the world's people with fairness. And he has chosen the man Jesus to do the judging for him. God has given proof of this to all of us by raising Jesus from death.
32 As soon as the people heard Paul say that a man had been raised from death, some of them started laughing. Others said, "We will hear you talk about this some other time."

Act 17
18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.

1Co 3:18-21
18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;

This apprehension about how believers behave when touched by the Spirit is a cultural thing. The western world prides itself on being in control and I think it is just a manifestation of pride. But I cannot judge the hearts and motives.
If the Lords wants to toss me on the ground... then so be it!:clap::amen:

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The bible indicates that trembling like that is the result of unclean spirits. Whether the spirit is entering or leaving would be determined by the fruit of the person's life afterwards.

The same litmus test would go for less theatrical spiritual contact in other traditions as well.

Furthermore, the baptism of fire is the judgment that awaits all of creation on judgment day. So if a believer is being baptized by fire, (judgment begins with the house of God) should they be doing a happy dance? Something to consider.

Upvote 0