Visit site
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can anyone tell me about Shabbat? I go to a church where we are integrating a lot of Jewish customs into our worship. For example, we dance traditional Jewish dance to Jewish music, some of us wear Tallit's, and I just attended my first Christian version of Shabbat, this evening. I've celebrated many Jewish holidays with my friends and I want to learn so much more about the Jewish faith. Any information that anyone could provide would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless...

Yhudah

Oct 24, 2004
Dallas, Texas
✟287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yeshuaskid said:
Can anyone tell me about Shabbat?

The TaNaKH (Hebrew Scriptures) says.

"Remember the day, Shabbat, to set it apart to God" (Exodus 20:8).

The fourth mitzvah (commandment) of the Ten Commandments concerns the remembrance of the Shabbat (Sabbath).

However, the mitzvah to rest on the seventh day did not, in fact originate in the Ten Commandments but was sanctified by God at the end of creation. (see Genesis 2:1-3)

The B'rit Hadashah (New Covenant Scriptures) says,

"So there remains a Shabbat-keeping for God's people" (Hebrews 4:9).

Shabbat literally means "rest . . . don't work."

I, personally believe that throughout the years Shabbat has been misunderstand by many Jews as well as Christians.

There are some people you could ask about Shabbat, who may would give you many additional man-made expectations.

But in the Torah, I do not see Shabbat was ever intended to be an "intolerable burden," laced with hundreds of additional man-made expectations.

I find that God's guidelines for Shabbat in the Torah, are quite simple: rest, don't work, and hold a holy convocation to the Lord.

The purpose of this special day is to rest, be with family, gather at God's house for worship, and get refocused and refreshed for the coming week.

Shabbat is a time of rest for our souls as well as our bodies.

I believe we do well if we take seriously the commandment concerning Shabbat, and to dedicate this day to the Lord, and may the Lord help us to live every day resting in Him.

Yehuda

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I dont know if this is what your looking for? But here goes. :wave:
Can anyone tell me about Shabbat? I go to a church where we are integrating a lot of Jewish customs into our worship. For example, we dance traditional Jewish dance to Jewish music, some of us wear Tallit's, and I just attended my first Christian version of Shabbat, this evening. I've celebrated many Jewish holidays with my friends and I want to learn so much more about the Jewish faith. Any information that anyone could provide would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless...

I can’t speak for everyone because we all have our own flavor or tradition.
But I do believe we all start Shabbat on Friday night. This is the basic how my family starts Shabbat off.

1) The house is clean for Shabbat.

2) The table it set with a white tablecloth or a special Shabbat tablecloth that is hand made. We use paper plates, plastic spoons, fork, knife, and paper napkin & paper cups.

3) Table is set with 2 Candlesticks & Candles, It's nice to have special candlesticks to light candles on, especially if they were candlesticks handed down in the family. [This is set in front of the woman at the table]

4) Kiddush cups [a win glass setting on a small plate} and a bottle of wine. [This is set in front of the man at the table]

5) 2 challah [a brayed bread] 2 plates with a 2 napkin to cover bread. [One in front of the wife the other in front of the husband. Some times we allow our Children to bless the Challah]

6) Hand washing bowl and a pitcher of water and a small hand towel.

7) Scarf for the wife,

8) A one-pot meal, such as chicken soup, beef stew, chilly, Vegetable soup, chicken and rice. [This is up to you we try to keep it one pot meal because it’s easer.]
[Just befor the sun goes down we put soft music to call everyone to the table.] [We like “Songs of Zion” by Maurice Sklar. It sets a peaceful mood]
When all are at the table: The wife covers her head with the scarf lights the candles and says, “this candle is represents Creation and this one represents Redemption.” She then waves her hands over the flame as if she is pulling the warmth of the flame [Shabbat] into herself. [Because our Salvation (Yeshua) comes from a woman]
[She then covers her eyes and says the blessing for Shabbat. {Looking down at the paper to read} [It is said that Shabbat starts when the wife’s eyes see the light of the candle.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Blessing for the lighting of the candles:]

Barukh atah Adonai, Elohaynu, melekh ha-olam,
Blessed are You, Lord, our God, King of the Universe,

asher kid’shanu b’mitzvotav, v’tzivanu
who sanctifies us with his commandments, and commands us

l’had’lik neir shel shabbat (Amein)
to light the candles of Shabbat (Amen)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Blessing for the wife: The Husband places his hand on his wife head and reads the blessing for his wife. ]

A Woman of Valor, who can find? She is more precious than corals.
Her husband places his trust in her and profits only thereby.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
She seeks out wool and flax and cheerfully does the work of her hands.
She is like the trading ships, bringing food from afar.
She gets up while it is still night to provide food for her household, and a fair share for her staff.
She considers a field and purchases it, and plants a vineyard with the fruit of her labors.
She invests herself with strength and makes her arms powerful.
She senses that her trade is profitable; her light does not go out at night.
She stretches out her hands to the distaff and her palms hold the spindle.
She opens her hands to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.
She has no fear of the snow for her household, for all her household is dressed in fine clothing. She makes her own bedspreads; her clothing is of fine linen and luxurious cloth. Her husband is known at the gates, where he sits with the elders of the land.
She makes and sells linens; she supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is robed in strength and dignity, and she smiles at the future.
She opens her mouth with wisdom and a lesson of kindness is on her tongue.
She looks after the conduct of her household and never tastes the bread of laziness.
Her children rise up and make her happy; her husband praises her:
"Many women have excelled, but you excell them all!" Grace is elusive and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears God -- she shall be praised.
Give her credit for the fruit of her labors, and let her achievements praise her at the gates.

To see & hear blessing in Hebrew: http://www.aish.com/SSI/articleToPr...al+Shabbat+song+in+honor+of+the+Jewish+woman.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blessing for the Sons: Father places his hand on his son’s heads and reads the blessing for his sons.

Y’seem-cha Eh-lo-heem K’Ef-ra-yeem v ‘cheem-na-sheh.

May Adonai inspire you to live in the tradition of Ephraim and Menasha, who carried forward the life of our people.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blessing for the Daughters: Father places his hand on his Daughters heads and reads the blessing for his Daughters.

Y’see-maych Eh-lo-heem K ‘Sa-rah, Ra-chale, V ‘lay-ah.

May Adonai inspire you to live in the tradition of Sarah, Rachel, and Lay-ah, who carried forward the life of our people.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Blessing for the wine: Father reads,]

“And the Children of Israel shall keep Shabbat”.

Vay’hiy erev vay’hiy voqeir yom ha-shishiy
And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day

Vay’khulu ha-shamayim v’ha-aretz v’khol tzva’am
The heavens and the earth were finished, the whole host of them

Vay’khal Elohiym ba-yom ha-shviyiy melakhto asher asah
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made

vayishbot ba-yom ha-shviyiy mikhol melakhto asher ashah
and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made

Vayivarekh Elohiym et yom ha-shviyiy vayiqadeish oto
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it

kiy vo shavat mikhol melakhto asher bara Elohiym la’asot
because in it he had rested from all his work which God created and done.

[Father fills wine glass and reads]

Shabbat is as a wedding ring between Adonai and [us] his people. And as in a wedding the husband and wife drinks from the glass of wine to seal the contract that is made between each other. And this glass of wine represents our agreement between our G-d and us to keep Shabbat. [This is not communion]
[Father raises the glass of wine and says the blessing:]

Barukh atah Adonai Elohaynu melekh ha-olam, borei p’riy ha-gafen. (Amein) Blessed are You, Lord, our God, King of the Universe, who creates the fruit of the vine. (Amen)

[each person takes a drinks from glass.]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand washing: [no blessing is read]

The wife takes the bowl and pitcher to her husband fist, and pour water over his hands that are held over the bowl. He dries his hands on small towel. She then goes to each of the children and repeats the process. Then the Husband takes bowel and pitcher to his wife.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blessing for the Challah bread:

{The Challah represents the two portion of manna given to the Israel in the wilderness. And bread is the subtenant of life. [This is not communion]
Husband & wife hold up Challah and say Blessing.

[Blessing for the Challah bread:]

Barukh atah Adonai Elohaynu melekh ha-olam
Blessed are You, Lord, our God, King of the Universe

ha-motzi lechem min ha-aretz. (Amein)
who brings forth bread from the earth. (Amen)

[After Blessing each person rips a piece of bread and eats.]

[Greet each other with a hug and sing “Shabbat Shalom”]

[Serve and eat meal.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Blessing after Meal]

Thank you for all, O L-rd our G-d, we thank you and bless you. May your name be blessed continuously forever by the mouth of all the living. As it is written (Deut 8:10) when you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shabbat
http://www.aish.com/shabbat/

Family Parsha
http://www.aish.com/torahportion/family/Family_Parsha_Yitro_5765.asp

How to “Shabbat”
http://www.aish.com/shabbathowto/fridaynight/Blessing_the_Children.asp

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Havdalah
Just as we proclaim the entrance of Shabbat by making "Kiddush," so too we mark the exit of Shabbat with "Havdalah."

1. What You'll Need:
double-wicked candle (or two candles held with flames together) & candle holder.

Small Wine cup, & wine or grape juice

spices (cloves,& cinnamon work well. You can mix what you want, it just needs to smell sweet) a small box or small baby food jar to put spices in.

small plate for dripping the candle on, and extinguishing the flame

2. Shabbat ends when three stars are visible in the evening sky. This time varies according to location and season.

Gather family around the table.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Read]
Havdalah ( l’hav-deal ) means to differentiate. Between Holy and profane, Between 6 days and the Shabbat.

Light the Havdalah candle (a braided candle with at least two wicks, or two candles held with their flames together). (no blessing is said yet)
[Read]

Psalm 128:1 A song of ascents. Blessed are all who fear the LORD, who walk in his ways.
2 You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours.
3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your sons will be like olive shoots around your table.
4 Thus is the man blessed who fears the LORD.
5 May the LORD bless you from Zion all the days of your life; may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem,
6 and may you live to see your children's children. Peace be upon Israel.

--------
[Fill a kiddush cup with either wine or grape juice, until the liquid overflows onto the plate below.]

[Holding the wine cup the blessing is said]

This is symbolic of our desire for blessings to overflow into the week.
And may our life overflow with the joy that comes from our Salvation.

Barukh atah Adonai Elohaynu melekh ha-olam, borei p’riy ha-gafen. (Amein)
Blessed are You, Lord, our God, King of the Universe, who creates the fruit of the vine. (Amen)

(Each person drinks some wine):
--------
[The spice box (usually cloves & cinnamon) is picked up and the following blessing is recited:]

May the remembrance of the Shabbat be as sweet to us as these sweet spices are. And may we have a sweet week.

Barukh atah Adonai Elohaynu melekh ha-olam, borei minei b'samim. (Amein)
Blessed are You, Lord, our God, King of the Universe, who creates varieties of spices. (Amen)

[The leader then smells the spices and passes them around for all to smell].
--------
[lift the candle and read]

Shabbat has brightened our life as we get both physical and spiritual rest. Our eyes again have been focused on Yeshua, our Shabbat, the light of the world. Lighting the candle as the first act of the new week reminds us, that G-d’s first act of creation took place when he said, ”Let there be light.”
We now bid Shabbat farewell by lighting the Havdalah candle, and just as Yeshua our light that brings Redemption was taken up. Will one-day return as a groom for his bride.

Barukh atah Adonai Elohaynu melekh ha-olam, borei m'orei ha-eish. (Amein)
Blessed are You, Lord, our God, King of the Universe, who creates the light of the fire. (Amen)

[Everyone now extends their hands toward the flame to see their fingernails
and fell the warmth of the fire. (to take advantage of the light of the candle).]
--------
“Blessings for Havdalah.”
[Read]

The final blessing is the havdalah blessing itself, the blessing over the separation of different things.

Barukh atah Adonai Elohaynu melekh ha-olam, ha-mavdil bayn kodesh l'chol,
Blessed are You, Lord, our God, King of the Universe, who distinguishes between the sacred and the secular,

bayn or l'choshekh, bayn yisrael la-amim, bayn yom ha-sh'vi'i l'shayshet y'may ha-ma'aseh
between light and dark, between Israel and the nations, between the seventh day and the six days of labor

Barukh atah Adonai, ha-mavdil bayn kodesh l'chol. (Amein)
Blessed are You, Lord, who distinguishes between the sacred and the secular. (Amein)
[Read]

All of our senses have been touched by Havdalah.
We have Seen the light of the fire
We have heard the word of G-d
We have tasted the sweet taste of the fruit of the vine.
We have Smelled the sweet smell of spices and
We have Felt the warmth from the fire

Matthew 6: 25 - 34

[the wine in the plate is used to extinguish the flame. Immerse the flame until the fire is out].

Havdalah is now complete.
[Greet each other with “Shavuah Tov” Have a good week!]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Havdalah candle
http://www.blow-the-shofar-in-zion.com/images/shabbat/havdalahcandles.jpg
http://www.zionjudaica.com/judaica_catalog-Shabbat_Candles-88.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Havdalah sets
http://www.blow-the-shofar-in-zion.com/z-shabbat-4.html

http://www.alljudaica.com/detail.asp?bid=4733&catid=20170
http://www.zionjudaica.com/project/shop/subcategory.php?catid=93&pagestart=2

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Dr. Shon said:
Just to be sure I'm clear on this...does Havdalah occur on Saturday evening? Shabbat lasts from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown...right? This is super, by the way. Thanks for all of this wonderful information! :)

Yes Havdalah occurs after sunset on Saturday night. It should be performed no earlier than nightfall. Nightfall is the time when three stars can be seen in the sky. It is normally about 45 minutes to an hour after sundown, depending on your latitude.

I would suggest the book "Introduction to Torah Living" by Tim Hegg for more information. It is available at TorahResource.com (Sample pages of the book may also be viewed on-line at that location.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaskid

Warrior in God's Army
Sep 26, 2004
Delaware
Visit site
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you all so much. I've gotten most of my information from www.jewfaq.org and a good jewish friend of many years. Our pastor celebrates Shabbat the last friday of every month and that doesn't follow the jewish calendar. My husband and I try to follow Shabbat and Havdalah as close to the Jewish way as possible. I used to read Hebrew and am now learning again. Saying those beautiful prayers in English doesn't quite get it for us. It sounds so much better in Hewbrew. Thanks again to all of you.

God Bless...

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
Torah that was wonderful, explaining everything you do! I just have a question, about #2. :)

2) The table it set with a white tablecloth or a special Shabbat tablecloth that is hand made. We use paper plates, plastic spoons, fork, knife, and paper napkin & paper cups.

Why is it that you use paper and plastic? Is it for the ease of cleaning up afterwards? That sounds great to me because I don't have a dishwasher, ( except for my husband who generously washes up the dishes on Sunday morning) and the dishes pile in the sink for the day. I was always taught to use my very best sliverware and china and special platters as Shabbat comes with a very special guest. :)

Is this a family tradition?

TIA! :)

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it's the best they have? Maybe as a way of making it so you don't have to "work" to clean up after Shabbos? Both sound adequate to me.

Zayit, we have a diswasher, and I STILL do them by hand. ;)

We have a seperate set of china and utensils our mishpocha uses. But it's more because of the Orthodox background I was raised in. I inherited them from my Zeyde's side, so I use them for Shabbos.

Upvote 0

Ahavah

Old School
Nov 4, 2004
✟9,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
shimshon said:
we have a diswasher, and I STILL do them by hand. ;)
By the way...Toda Raba for all the times you did clean up after the meal.

I usually make a BIG meal so we can have left overs for the next day. I do use the crock pot alot, but I really want to get into more traditional Middle-Eastern dishes for Shabbos. Just me....

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Zayit, it is to make clean up easy. There is a very nice selection of paper & plastic good in the supermarket to make the table look very nice. [There are 8 people living in our house and we don’t have a dishwasher] Our Shabbat table looks very elegant and one that I believe all here would approve of.
I make a one-pot meal for Friday night, but some time, I’ll make other things for Fri night. And then a second crock-pot on low for Shabbat day, coffee is on a timer, bagels and or Matzo and cream cheese are at the ready, the kitchen is clean befor the sun goes down. After Havdalah we clean Fri. dinner mess, and sometime friends come over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ahavah

Old School
Nov 4, 2004
✟9,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Torah said:
Zayit, it is to make clean up easy. There is a very nice selection of paper & plastic good in the supermarket to make the table look very nice. [There are 8 people living in our house and we don’t have a dishwasher] Our Shabbat table looks very elegant and one that I believe all here would approve of.
I make a one-pot meal for Friday night, but some time, I’ll make other things for Fri night. And then a second crock-pot on low for Shabbat day, coffee is on a timer, bagels and or Matzo and cream cheese are at the ready, the kitchen is clean befor the sun goes down. After Havdalah we clean Fri. dinner mess, and sometime friends come over.
I really like the idea of Having NICE paper ware. No cleaning up at all! I'd like to have paper all the time, but, then our garbage would max out. Oy.

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Ahavah said:
I really like the idea of Having NICE paper ware. No cleaning up at all! I'd like to have paper all the time, but, then our garbage would max out. Oy.

Nice paper is a great thing! While we are 'camping' in the barn that is what we are using.

Hmmm...maybe we should start a thread about easy recipies for Shabbat - one dish/crock-pot type ones...

I usually cook a special meal for Erev Shabbat, and then we eat more simply during the day on Shabbat.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
missju said:
I wonder what people who live alone do for the Shabbat ceremonies? hmmm
They still light the candles and do the prayers, songs and blessings for they still have a guest - both the Shabbat and HaShem are guests at the Shabbat table :) Even travellers are required to keep Shabbat - there are travelling Shabbat kits the pack very nicely into one's suitcase or backpack ;)

Upvote 0