Shabbat practice poll

What below describes your Shabbat practices?

• We/I choose to set Shabbat/Saturday apart.

• We/I choose to set "The L-rd's Day"/Sunday apart.

• We/I stay at home on Shabbat.

• We/I walk to Synagogue on Shabbat.

• We/I drive to Synagogue on Shabbat.

• We/I light candles, have a special meal and say Shabbat blessings on Erev Shabbat.

• We do Havdalah.

• We/I prepare for Shabbat by cooking, setting light switches, etc to avoid violating Shabbat.

• Shabbat starts on or before sunset Friday evening.

• Shabbat ends on or after sunset Saturday evening.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Some questions came to mind in the Cholent thread. Please see poll.

Note: multiple choices available/encouraged.

This is NOT to be a debate thread, period.

If you have practices that are not included in the poll (after all they only gave me 10 short questions) please share :)

b'Shalom

Last edited:

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
xDenax said:
I would like to be able to walk to shul but for now I drive. I also uses electricity so I don't set light switches prior to the start of Shabbat.

:D :clap: thank you for your response :)

b'Shalom {iPod touch w/CF app}

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
I noticed so far 7 people voted Shabbat begins on or before sunset on Friday. Four have voted it ends on or after sunset Saturday.

I am interested about the other three.:)
Did you miss the last question or do you observe differing traditions? Input? Feedback?

Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
Too far away from Jerusalem
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I would like to be able to walk to shul but for now I drive. I also uses electricity so I don't set light switches prior to the start of Shabbat.
Same as you Dena. We live too far away to walk, but I'd love to. When I'm in Israel, it's so nice to not have to worry about transportation. I walk there.
Our main livingroom light is on a timer and I make sure the porch light is turned on before sundown. Other than that we do switch on lights.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
anisavta said:
Same as you Dena. We live too far away to walk, but I'd love to. When I'm in Israel, it's so nice to not have to worry about transportation. I walk there.
Our main livingroom light is on a timer and I make sure the porch light is turned on before sundown. Other than that we do switch on lights.

Ahhhhhhh yes... To walk to shul would be Such a blessing!

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟137,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid that we try, but do not always hit the mark. We take care of a number of relatives and our schedule is not always our own. But what you describe sound like paradise.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I noticed so far 7 people voted Shabbat begins on or before sunset on Friday. Four have voted it ends on or after sunset Saturday.

Did you miss the last question or do you observe differing traditions? Input? Feedback?

Missed it along with another, the havdalah one I think. :blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
talmidim said:
I'm afraid that we try, but do not always hit the mark. We take care of a number of relatives and our schedule is not always our own. But what you describe sound like paradise.

But that is righteousness; to care for those who are frail or ill. Preserving life and alleviating suffering, even on Shabbat, are acts of tzadikah. :clap:

Other wise hospitals and nursing homes would be ghost towns of suffering every Shabbat all over Israel.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Lulav said:
Missed it along with another, the havdalah one I think. :blush:

Since it is a multivote poll you can go back in and address any you missed of the 10 :D

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Can't vote more than once, as it seems on my screen. But as it concerns Shabbat, I go on Saturdays for service/fellowship as well as the Shabbat meal--and then family/friends relax. Some days, people hang out for longer but generally all go their seperate ways to be with their families. For myself, as I also have friends/family I hang with on Sundays, I fellowship then as well. Some days, we've done trips with friends/family from my Messianic fellowship on Sunday as well as Saturday---and other times, we've had Friday Gatherings at the house for meals (alot of eating:D:)).

Love Shabbat, although Monday-Fri, gotta work. There are some who are unable to avoid work on Sat and that's understandable, as we're very gracious to those who desire to come but are unable to for a myraid of reasons. For we wish to be compassionate to others and remember (especially for those working at things like Hospitals or who are Truckers driving across state) that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath, that it's Lawful to do good/mercy. More shared on that elsewhere ( here and here )

As it concerns transportation, some are able to walk...but most drive to fellowship. Some come from about an hour to two hours away to make it, one of them (who's Puerto Rican/Jewish) having the longest commute. My drive is about 30mins, but it's worth it.

Do we have anyone there who is likes to light candles? Not that I'm aware of (even though it may've been discussed with other members that I'm unaware of)...but I know of some in the fellowship who enjoy incense happening in the homes. I'm with them on that one:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟137,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We try to cook in advance, but we do not set switches. In addition, we warm our food if needed, but we abstain from actually building any fires except for survival reasons. My observance is changing, evolving really, as the Spirit reveals more about the symbolism of fire in scripture. And that is a whole other thread.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
OK make me homesick why don't you.:D;)

Sorrry, LOL.

The other thing nice about walking to shul is that it pretty much forces anyone who wants to be observant to move into the community, which makes the community a much tighter knit group.

We do shabbas hospitality for visitors or for people who are undergoing conversion ( they must eventually move to the community), but there
is limited space so people need to make the commitment to move into the area. It's a real boost for everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since it is a multivote poll you can go back in and address any you missed of the 10 :D

It won't let me, I can no longer see the poll, only the results, I get this message

Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You have already voted on this poll

Upvote 0

janwoG

My heart leads me to Messianic Judaism
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Thailand
✟48,946.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
How I practice Shabbat?
Since I live in a household way away from a kosher setting, my wife being Buddhist, I try to practice Shabbat as much as I can. I avoid any work involving money or production work as picking up fruits or watering our garden. When I am alone Friday night I light the candles with observe and remember like bread and wine of Yeshua with the usual blessing of Shabbat. After lighting the candles I let play the youtube Shalom Aleichem:
SHALOM ALEICHEM with English translation - YouTube

Then I let play the Lecha Dodi representing the Messianic Wedding between Shabatt Queen the Kahal Yeshua and our Mashiach:
Shabbat Shalom Lecha Dodi - YouTube

and I remember Yeshua Seder with unleavened bread and grape juice with the usual blessing over bread and wine.
I end the celebration with the song Shalom Aleichem.
On Sundays I worship within an interdenominational church. Where I live there is no Messianic Synagogue.

Upvote 0