Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Four braids comes out quite nicely for me. My problem is that it never seems to rise quite right, and ends up thick and gnarly these days. Yuck. I hate my Challah. I think it has to do with the fact that as my illness gets worse, I simply can't knead it long enough. There is a bakery that does Challah that I'm going to increasingly often.
I don't knead mine. I use a bread machine to make the dough. Arthritis has put an end to my kneading days.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't knead mine. I use a bread machine to make the dough. Arthritis has put an end to my kneading days.
Those can be quite expensive. I see that Walmart has a reasonably prices one ($45). Do you know if one that inexpensive works okay? I can maybe ask for it for my B-day.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
This one comes at even a better price
q
$27.77

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Those can be quite expensive. I see that Walmart has a reasonably prices one ($45). Do you know if one that inexpensive works okay? I can maybe ask for it for my B-day.
I bought the cheapest ones I could fine, and they work just great!

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Four braids comes out quite nicely for me. My problem is that it never seems to rise quite right, and ends up thick and gnarly these days. Yuck. I hate my Challah. I think it has to do with the fact that as my illness gets worse, I simply can't knead it long enough. There is a bakery that does Challah that I'm going to increasingly often.

You may be letting it rise too much or the dough is too stiff (may need a bit more water). You can also try letting it rise in the refrigerator over 6 to 8 hours. Take it out, punch it down and let it warm for an hour or so. Form it and then let it rise for a half hour...egg wash and bake. :)

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Open Heart thanks so much for the info on the eggs, as there is so much confusing info out there on how to do it.

I wont have time this week to make challah, but will make some eggs ahead of time.

To make the challah I saw something online about the butter having to be a certain kind not found in regular stores.

I hope I did buy the right kind of yeast though

Its "active" and comes in a 3 pack

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
@Open Heart thanks so much for the info on the eggs, as there is so much confusing info out there on how to do it.

I wont have time this week to make challah, but will make some eggs ahead of time.

To make the challah I saw something online about the butter having to be a certain kind not found in regular stores.

I hope I did buy the right kind of yeast though

Its "active" and comes in a 3 pack
I never use butter, I always use parve margarine. That way the challah can be served with a meat meal. I use Nucoa because it's kosher (OU hechsher) and it's parve.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I never use butter, I always use parve margarine. That way the challah can be served with a meat meal. I use Nucoa because it's kosher (OU hechsher) and it's parve.

I use vegetable oil to get around that. I will use butter if it is just for a dairy meal. Margarine has always left a strange mouthfeel for me.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I use vegetable oil to get around that. I will use butter if it is just for a dairy meal. Margarine has always left a strange mouthfeel for me.

We use olive oil from Israel in ours. Flour, water, yeast, olive oil, sugar, egg.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I've tried it with oil, but prefer margarine......although I've never met a challah I didn't like!

• Haha
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Zaan

Sep 4, 2017
South West UK
✟98,793.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
We use olive oil from Israel in ours. Flour, water, yeast, olive oil, sugar, egg.

I also use olive oil in my challah! I like it much better than butter or margarine.

6 strands isn't sooo bad when you get the hang of it, but saying that I had to practice with 4 for a while. The first challah I made was 6 strands and oh my word, that was a muddled up mess! :tearsofjoy:

This tutorial really helped me find the rhythm:
Six Strand Challah Braid Tutorial
Using the coloured dough was a clever idea, helps you follow much better. :smile:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would someone please share the meaning behind challah and the reason for the braids? - It would be nice for those who are peeking in at this thread and don't know.
And is there more meaning in the making of or the eating of the challah?

As for me, I used to make bread quite often but my one attempt at challah - well, it didn't turn out too pretty. lol!

Upvote 0

Zaan

Sep 4, 2017
South West UK
✟98,793.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Would someone please share the meaning behind challah and the reason for the braids? - It would be nice for those who are peeking in at this thread and don't know.
And is there more meaning in the making of or the eating of the challah?

As for me, I used to make bread quite often but my one attempt at challah - well, it didn't turn out too pretty. lol!

" Why do Jews eat Challah?

The challah bread is a symbol of the Manna that God made fall from the heavens to feed the Israelites when they were in the desert for 40 years after their Exodus from Egypt. This is also why on Friday night two loaves are traditionally eaten, alluding to the fact that on Friday God gave a double portion of Manna to enable the Sabbath to be a day of rest for him in the Manna-production department!

It is Challah that is eaten rather than normal bread because Challah is both sweeter and richer, being made with egg as well as wheat. A sweeter, tastier “rich man’s food” is a more fitting a symbol of the Manna which God provided."

I haven't found a definitive reason for the braids, nothing in Scripture or anything. Some of the more reasonable theories I have come across are...

1. The braided challah loaves resemble the ear of wheat and remind us of the source of our bread that YHWH has provided.
2. That when we have the two loaves braided with six strands each it represents the 12 tribes of Israel.
3. That it represents unity in general between our family, friends, community etc and peace between us all during Shabbat.

Don't worry, I think most of us failed our first time attempting challah! But after a few goes you get the hang of it. :smile:

Upvote 0