-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Greek word "inappropriate contenteya" G4202 occurs 26 times in the NT. In addition the verb "inappropriate contenteyo" G4203 occurs 8 times. Traditionally, "inappropriate contenteya" is translated as "fornication" or "sexual immorality." The NASB that everyone claims to be most accurate but nobody actually reads, translates as just "immorality."

My question is what constitutes "inappropriate contenteya" and whether the definition changes with culture.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My question is what constitutes "inappropriate contenteya" and whether the definition changes with culture.
The question is what was meant by that word in the Greek speaking Jewish diaspora community in the first century.

As far as my own prayerful study got, it meant to include EVERYTHING that was sexually prohibited in the Law of Moses.

As far as culture changes, we need to be able to pin it to that culture and age so we do not have a floating moving target that may mean something entirely different next year than it does this year.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

inappropriate contenteya is always sin.

Yahuweh's Commands are unchanging and unchangeable, and ignores culture.

Mankind keeps getting more and more sinful, until Yahushua Returns. Cultures come and go, but Scripture remains unchanged.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Greek word "inappropriate contenteya" G4202 occurs 26 times in the NT. In addition the verb "inappropriate contenteyo" G4203 occurs 8 times. Traditionally, "inappropriate contenteya" is translated as "fornication" or "sexual immorality." The NASB that everyone claims to be most accurate but nobody actually reads, translates as just "immorality."

fornication is actually considered to be idolatry.

Strong's Concordance

inappropriate contenteia: fornication
Original Word: πορνεία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: inappropriate contenteia
Phonetic Spelling: (por-ni'-ah)
Definition: fornication
Usage: fornication, whoredom; met: idolatry.
HELPS Word-studies
4202 inappropriate contenteía (the root of the English terms "inappropriate contentography, inappropriate contentographic"; cf. 4205 /pórnos) which is derived from pernaō, "to sell off") – properly, a selling off (surrendering) of sexual purity; promiscuity of any (every) type.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"Dave-W: As far as my own prayerful study got, it meant to include EVERYTHING that was sexually prohibited in the Law of Moses."

I agree with Dave-W above on the OT examples of fornication & also some NT ones. The definition doesn't change with culture OR time. Jesus went all the way back to the very beginning in Genesis 2. Jesus gave ONLY ONE exception to divorce: FORNICATION, referring back to the OT Law & examples of sexual immorality.

Matt 19:3-10 Then some Pharisees came & tested Him by asking, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife FOR ANY REASON?”

4Jesus answered, “HAVE YOU NOT READ THAT FROM THE BEGINNING the Creator ‘made them male & female’ & said, ‘For THIS REASON a man will leave his father & mother & be united (literally glued) to his wife & the two will become one flesh’ ? So they are NO LONGER TWO, but one flesh. Therefore what GOD has joined (glued) together, LET NOT MAN SEPARATE.”

7“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses order a man to give his wife a certificate of divorce & send her away?”

8Jesus replied, “It was because of your HARDNESS OF HEART that Moses PERMITTED you to divorce your wives; BUT IT WAS NOT THIS WAY SINCE THE BEGINNING. NOW I TELL YOU that whoever divorces his wife, EXCEPT FOR THE CAUSE OF FORNICATION AND marries ANOTHER woman, COMMITS ADULTERY.”

10His disciples said to Him, “If THIS is the case between a man & his wife, it is BETTER not to marry.”

Matt 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, EXCEPT FOR THE CAUSE OF FORNICATION, causeth her to commit adultery & whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Please understand, though, that the exception clause is not a command for divorce and/or to remarry.

Mark 6:17,18 For Herod himself had ordered that John be arrested and bound and imprisoned, on account of his brother Philip’s wife Herodias, whom Herod had married. For John had been telling Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife!”

I Corinthians 5:1 It is actually reported that there is FORNICATION among you & of a kind that is INTOLERABLE even among pagans: A man has his FATHER'S WIFE. And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have been stricken with grief & removed from your fellowship the man who did this?

Leviticus 18:6-9 None of you are to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the LORD. You must not expose the nakedness of your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; you must not have sexual relations with her.

8You must not have sexual relations with your FATHER'S WIFE; it would dishonor your father. You must not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

I Cor 6:12-20 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are beneficial. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. Food is meant for the stomach & the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one & the other. The body is not meant for FORNICATION, but for the Lord & the Lord for the body.

14And God raised the Lord & will also raise us up by His power. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ & make them members of a prostitute? Never!

16Or do you not know that he who is joined (cleaves) to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.” But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.

18Flee from FORNICATION. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the fornicating person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are NOT YOUR OWN, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Fornication includes all those sexual sins listed in the OT & some in NT, such as the son who had his father's wife. This was called fornication not adultery, which is another Greek word.

There were certain sins of fornication in the OT that would allow for divorce & remarriage with no charge of committing adultery. Those were the exceptions that Jesus pointed to, when the Pharisees asked if anyone could divorce a wife FOR ANY CAUSE OR REASON.

Eph 5:3-10 But among you, as is proper among the saints, there must not be even a hint (mention even once) of FORNICATION, or of any kind of uncleanness or of covetousness. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk, or crude joking, which are out of character, but rather thanksgiving.

5For of this YOU CAN BE SURE: No FORNICATION or all uncleanness or a covetous person (that is, an idolater), has ANY inheritance in the kingdom of Christ & of God.

6LET NO ONE DECEIVE YOU WITH EMPTY WORDS, for BECAUSE OF SUCH THINGS God’s WRATH COMES ON THE SONS OF DISOBEDIENCE. Therefore do not be partakers with them.

8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light, for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness & truth. Test & prove what PLEASES the Lord.

I Thessalonians 4:1-8 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren & exhort you BY THE LORD JESUS, that as ye have received of us how you ought to walk & TO PLEASE GOD, so you would abound more & more. For you know what COMMANDMENTS WE GAVE BY THE LORD JESUS.

3FOR THIS IS THE WILL OF GOD, even your sanctification (holiness), that is, that you be separate from (abstain from) FORNICATION; that every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification & honor; not in the lust of CONCUPISCENCE {desirous of unlawful pleasure; libidinous}, even as the Gentiles which know not God; that no man go beyond & defraud his brother in any matter.

Because the Lord is the avenger of ALL SUCH, as we also have forewarned you & testified. For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.

Hebrews 13:4 Marriage should be honored by all & the marriage bed kept UNDEFILED, for God will judge the adulterer & all the fornicators.

Leviticus 18:20 You must not have sexual relations with your neighbor's wife & thus DEFILE yourself with her.

Heb 12:16 See to it that no one is FORNICATIOUS or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his birthright.

I Cor 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither FORNICATORS, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I Cor 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a FORNICATOR, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such a one, no, not to eat.

Leviticus 18:10,12-16 You must not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter, for that would shame your family. You must not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative. You must not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, for she is your mother’s close relative.

14You must not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations with her; she is your aunt. You must not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; you are not to have sexual relations with her. You must not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would shame your brother.

Lev 18:17,18 You must not have sexual relations with both a woman & her daughter. You are not to marry her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter & have sexual relations with her. They are close relatives; it is depraved. You must not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife & have sexual relations with her while your wife is still alive.

Lev 18:22-30 You must not lie with a man as with a woman; that is an abomination. You must not have sexual relations with any animal, thus defiling yourself with it; a woman must not stand before an animal to mate with it; that is a perversion.

24Do not defile yourselves by any of these practices, for by all these things the nations I am driving out before you have defiled themselves. Even the land has become defiled, so I am punishing it for its sin, and the land will vomit out its inhabitants.

26But you are to keep My statutes & ordinances & you must not commit any of these ABOMINATIONS—neither your native-born nor the foreigner who lives among you. 27For the men who were in the land before you committed all these abominations & the land has become DEFILED. So if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it spewed out the nations before you.

See also Deuteronomy 22 for more examples.

The Exception Clause of Matthew 5:32 & 19:9 | Grace Bible Church

No matter what fornication entails or includes, it is an abomination before God & can be a defilement of body, soul & spirit & even the land that practices it & God will judge those who do so. No practicing fornicator will inherit the kingdom of God.

I hope that helps further clarify for you.

29Therefore anyone who commits any of these abominations must be cut off from among his people. 30You must keep My charge not to practice any of the abominable customs that were practiced before you, so that you do not defile yourselves by them. I am the LORD your God.”

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The question is what was meant by that word in the Greek speaking Jewish diaspora community in the first century. As far as my own prayerful study got, it meant to include EVERYTHING that was sexually prohibited in the Law of Moses.
This is a great definition. We should read the Torah more often and especially commands about sexual sin, which doesn't change with time and culture. Today, some sexual sins are tolerated and even becoming common-place.

BTW, as a Messianic, do you follow Sabbath and dietary laws?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
inappropriate contenteya is always sin. Yahuweh's Commands are unchanging and unchangeable, and ignores culture.
You didn't say what constitutes inappropriate contenteya, in your opinion.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
a selling off (surrendering) of sexual purity; promiscuity of any (every) type.
You didn't explain what constitutes "promiscuity" and "selling off of sexual purity." Is all sex outside Christian marriage sin?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You didn't say what constitutes inappropriate contenteya, in your opinion.
"sin", to start with.
Any adjectives to add to that , to narrow it down more specifically ?

... to be continued tomorrow, Yahuweh Willing. Losing internet access any minute now....

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Dave-W above on the OT examples of fornication & also some NT ones. The definition doesn't change with culture OR time.
Thank you for detailed examples. However, I'm surprised that while you quote examples from OT, you disagree with divorce, which OT allowed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OP deals with the issue of inappropriate contenteia or fornication, not divorce. That is another topic & you would be the one to allow it here. MUCH can be said on it. I never said I disagreed with divorce, as that it happens--but I stand by Jesus teaching that unless there is the example of the single one exception clause, ANYONE who remarries while the first spouse is alive will commit adultery. That was God's original meaning & command concerning the law of marriage. God allowed divorce due to man's hardness of heart BUT FROM THE BEGINNING IT WAS NOT SO. One spouse for life unless death occurred, then remarriage without sanctions was allowed, except for priests in the OT.

Perhaps you need to peruse again what Jesus taught about it in the synoptic gospels & the way He answered the different questions on it. Perhaps you are disagreeing with divorce, as Jesus taught it, from the NT perspective, dealing with the OT issue of divorce & clarifying since the beginning what God actually meant & why He 'permitted' it in the OT but 'NOW' it is clarified & plainly defined.

Most sexual sins committed in the OT led to punishment by DEATH. So the issue of divorce often didn't need to be addressed. And the conditions for divorce as defined by the religious leaders went way beyond what God said, they redefining what 'uncleanness' meant--even to if they didn't like her cooking, they could divorce her.

And Deut 24 is not so much about divorce but if you study it out, with the 'series of ifs' before the concluding then, it is prohibiting re-marrying the former spouse because having the second spouse caused 'defilement.'

This is what Jesus was addressing & what Paul was addressing in I Cor 7, quoting what Jesus taught & finishing the chapter with dismissing the Pharisaical 'definition's & going directly back to the Law as God intended it concerning marriage & not separating the marriage except for death of the spouse.

That is why God says He hates divorce. He used the example in Jeremiah 3 in a spiritual sense where He gave Israel a 'certificate of divorce'--but God never re-married & will be reconciled again to Israel, keeping His one spouse. That is what Paul taught in I Cor 7, saying that is what Jesus taught. God doesn't contradict Himself.

I Cor 7:10,11,39 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband) & the husband should not divorce his wife. A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.

Rom 7:1-3 Or do you not know, brothers—for I am speaking to those who KNOW the law—that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives? For a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the LAW OF MARRIAGE. Accordingly, she will be called an ADULTERESS if she lives with another man while her husband is ALIVE. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law & if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.

John the Baptist lost his head for teaching the true intent of the law of marriage.

The same situation occurs today as in the OT: people divorcing due to their hardness of heart ('irreconcilable differences, aka 'some uncleanness in her'). But unless it has to do with the exception clause, if one divorces & remarries, they commit adultery, as Jesus taught & as Paul taught. God's command hasn't changed concerning the 'law of marriage'; man's redefining it has, due to a stubborn, hard heart.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Sexually immoral people will not inherit eternal life, Jesus says this in Revelation 22
Jesus Testifies to the Churches
12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”

14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”

17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.
=================================================
As does Paul say the same thing in many places, that such persons are worthy of death, and is included in a long list of sinful persons who will go to hell fire, example
====================================================
1 Thessalonians 4 New King James Version (NKJV)
Plea for Purity
1 Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God; 2 for you know what commandments we gave you through the Lord Jesus.

3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, 5 not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6 that no one should take advantage of and defraud his brother in this matter, because the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also forewarned you and testified. 7 For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness. 8 Therefore he who rejects this does not reject man, but God, who has also given us His Holy Spirit.

Romans 1:28-32 New King James Version (NKJV)
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, [e]unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The OP deals with the issue of inappropriate contenteia or fornication, not divorce. That is another topic & you would be the one to allow it here. MUCH can be said on it.
Someone just started a thread about divorce in the Conservative Christianity subform. Perhaps we should move comments about this subject to the other thread and keep this thread for discussions about the definition of inappropriate contenteya.

And Deut 24 is not so much about divorce but if you study it out, with the 'series of ifs' before the concluding then, it is prohibiting re-marrying the former spouse because having the second spouse caused 'defilement.'
I will be studying Deuteronomy 24. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Sexual immorality, is defined as sexual relationships outside of marriage between a man and a woman, and then remarriages when the living former partner was still alive. Jesus gave clear examples.

verses to study.
Matthew 19:9
And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
Mark 10:11
So He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her.
Mark 10:12
And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”
Luke 16:18
“Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery.
Romans 7:3
So then if, while her husband lives, she marriesanother man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sexual immorality, is defined as sexual relationships outside of marriage between a man and a woman, and then remarriages when the living former partner was still alive. Jesus gave clear examples.

verses to study.
Matthew 19:9
And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”
Mark 10:11
So He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her.
Mark 10:12
And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”
Luke 16:18
“Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery.
Romans 7:3
So then if, while her husband lives, she marriesanother man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.
You need to carry that further

Freed from the Law

7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marriage is between one man and one woman, otherwise is is sexual immorality, there is no gay marriage that is not a sexual immorality.

1 Corinthians 7 New King James Version (NKJV)
Principles of Marriage
1 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Marriage is between one man and one woman, otherwise is is sexual immorality, there is no gay marriage that is not a sexual immorality.

1 Corinthians 7 New King James Version (NKJV)
Principles of Marriage
1 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.
God has no pleasure in creation used for non-intended purposes no matter what it is.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
You need to carry that further

Freed from the Law

7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

I know and also study 1 Corinthians 7, the whole chapter.
which at the end says this, a wife is bound by law till her husbands death. that law would be the law of God, so not just a moral or secular law. This command Paul says comes from Christ, she is not to marry again if she leaves her husband,

10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.
11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

39 A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord. 40 But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my judgment—and I think I also have the Spirit of God.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know and also study 1 Corinthians 7, the whole chapter.
which at the end says this, a wife is bound by law till her husbands death. that law would be the law of God, so not just a moral or secular law. This command Paul says comes from Christ, she is not to marry again if she leaves her husband,

10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.
11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

39 A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord. 40 But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my judgment—and I think I also have the Spirit of God.
Wow, I’m really surprised that you don’t see the former husband as satan/flesh/world.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Wow, I’m really surprised that you don’t see the former husband as satan/flesh/world.

There is no sin with becoming separated, two people who are married. See if you can prove from scripture the God approves of remarriage when the former partner is still alive.

Upvote 0