Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Nothing will destroy a church, church district, or church conference quicker, nor more thoroughly, than sexual immorality. Churches preaching sexual permissiveness could, in the end, bring down United Methodism.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sex. Really hampers the wider appeal for lots of people if you don’t have any and your own younger generation is always a bit more suspectible to indoctrination than total strangers.
Sex isn't a need. It can be a very powerful temptation, and if you can't withstand the temptation, I believe Paul advises you to get married.

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sex isn't a need.

Depends. Think more correct term for it is deep intimacy or some such so theorically you could be just fine in a platonic relationship although I doubt these are that common.

Of course like other needs some people simply don’t have it. Some are asexual or hermits, but again those might not be the traits you were looking for if you were worried about Church attendees.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Depends. Think more correct term for it is deep intimacy or some such so theorically you could be just fine in a platonic relationship although I doubt these are that common.

Of course like other needs some people simply don’t have it. Some are asexual or hermits, but again those might not be the traits you were looking for if you were worried about Church attendees.
I've never heard of anyone dying from lack of sex.

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've never heard of anyone dying from lack of sex.

Fortunately it doesn’t mean something isn’t a need if you can’t directly die from lack of it.

Need for safety, need for closeness, need for self grandiosity just for some examples.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sex isn't a need. It can be a very powerful temptation, and if you can't withstand the temptation, I believe Paul advises you to get married.

Sex is a biological imperative necessary for reproduction of the species. Humankind, like all animals, is hard-wired for sexual gratification in order to ensure propagation of the species. That's why we have temptation. Our faith puts some parameters around what expression of sexuality is sin and what expression is not. Temptation is not inherently evil; what you decide to do with it may well be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Fortunately it doesn’t mean something isn’t a need if you can’t directly die from lack of it.

Need for safety, need for closeness, need for self grandiosity just for some examples.
I think Paul understood it pretty well. If you can't resist sexual temptation, get married. However, if you can resist sexual temptation, you're better off not getting married (1 Cor 7:36-38)

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sex is a biological imperative necessary for reproduction of the species. Humankind, like all animals, is hard-wired for sexual gratification in order to ensure propagation of the species. That's why we have temptation. Our faith puts some parameters around what expression of sexuality is sin and what expression is not. Temptation is not inherently evil; what you decide to do with it may well be.
The Lord could create as many people as he wished without the benefit of sexual intercourse.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Lord could create as many people as he wished without the benefit of sexual intercourse.

But the fact is He created us to propagate the species through sexual intercourse. Sexuality is a gift from God and part of His magnificent creation. Just because some people mis-use it does not mean, it is not part of God's design.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
But the fact is He created us to propagate the species through sexual intercourse. Sexuality is a gift from God and part of His magnificent creation. Just because some people mis-use it does not mean, it is not part of God's design.
This thread is about sexual immorality, not what goes on between two people who are lawfully married.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course He could. He did exactly that with Adam and Eve. He can also create leather clothing out of thin air (as He did for A&E) or the finest vintage wine out of rain water. (wedding at Cana)

But He choses to NOT do that on a regular basis.

Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Or indeed in modern times at all where anyone could actually verify any miracle.

Imagine the Pope giving Christmas presentation with 100000 faitfull at the square with glasses of water and Pope asks for blessings and every glass of water turns to wine.

Now that would be faith affirming event.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Why is "need" equated with life or death; especially when it comes to sexual matters?

There are plenty of needs that have nothing to do with life and death.
I don't think sex is one of them, but if one feels they can't resist sexual temptation, Paul tells them to get married.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course He could. He did exactly that with Adam and Eve. He can also create leather clothing out of thin air (as He did for A&E) or the finest vintage wine out of rain water. (wedding at Cana)

But that isn't a justification for immoral sex. I hope you understand that I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with a man and woman who are lawfully wedded having a sexual relationship.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But that isn't a justification for immoral sex.
Not saying it was.
I hope you understand that I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with a man and woman who are lawfully wedded having a sexual relationship.
Fine. But why are you talking about "The Lord could create as many people as he wished without the benefit of sexual intercourse," as though that would be something normal?

Upvote 0