USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Lord taught us to be sexually chaste, but liberals seem to be promoting a message of sexual permissiveness. What do you think the Lord thinks of this?
I believe there is more proof that a celibate person can serve a better role in Christianity than a married one.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe there is more proof that a celibate person can serve a better role in Christianity than a married one.
Perhaps, but you don't have to be celibate to be sexually chaste.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the Lord wants us to focus on inviting people into relationship with Him. He can take it from there if he has issues with their sex lives; we don't need to make it our obsession.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I think the Lord wants us to focus on inviting people into relationship with Him. He can take it from there if he has issues with their sex lives; we don't need to make it our obsession.
But should't we be setting good examples?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But should't we be setting good examples?

Sure. But I guess my point is, what should we focus on? Introducing people to the love of God, or worrying about what they do in bed? I'd suggest that if we spend too much time and energy on the latter, we'll miss opportunities for the former.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I disagree but see your point.

I, however, consider how much more a husband and wife could do. I think of some older missionaries I have met who work in the middle east. There is a great impact of having a supportive partner helping. Holding each other up in prayer, intimately seeing the others needs. Praying together for the current situations.

However, back to the OP we are warned against all types of immorality. One wonders if people who say different read their Bibles.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sure. But I guess my point is, what should we focus on? Introducing people to the love of God, or worrying about what they do in bed? I'd suggest that if we spend too much time and energy on the latter, we'll miss opportunities for the former.
I think we should prioritize obeying the Lord.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I, however, consider how much more a husband and wife could do. I think of some older missionaries I have met who work in the middle east.
[36] If any one thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry -- it is no sin.
[37] But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
[38] So that he who marries his betrothed does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better. 1 Cor 7:36-38 RSV

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[36] If any one thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry -- it is no sin.
[37] But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
[38] So that he who marries his betrothed does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better. 1 Cor 7:36-38 RSV
Your point is?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Introducing people to the Lord is great. I am seeing pastors making a point of going in front of their congregations and stating there is nothing wrong with homosexuality.

• Informative
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I, however, consider how much more a husband and wife could do. I think of some older missionaries I have met who work in the middle east. There is a great impact of having a supportive partner helping. Holding each other up in prayer, intimately seeing the others needs. Praying together for the current situations.

However, back to the OP we are warned against all types of immorality. One wonders if people who say different read their Bibles.
I agree that couple can do an excellent job in serving God, however, there might be the risk that one may concentrate more on the other's needs than God's.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think we should prioritize obeying the Lord.

Yes; and so far I have not found the Lord usually wants me to worry too much about other people's sex lives. He seems to have led me to a "You catch 'em, he'll clean 'em," model of fishing for people. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes; and so far I have not found the Lord usually wants me to worry too much about other people's sex lives. He seems to have led me to a "You catch 'em, he'll clean 'em," model of fishing for people. ;)
The Lord taught us that homosexuality is a sin. When pastors make a point of preaching that homosexuality is NOT a sin, you've got a problem.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Introducing people to the Lord is great. I am seeing pastors making a point of going in front of their congregations and stating there is nothing wrong with homosexuality.

Well, that wouldn't be my approach either. But you asked what I thought, so I told you what I thought; we obsess too much about sex, and too little about proclaiming the good news.

If other pastors are preaching a message I consider poor, my job isn't to condemn them but to continue to be faithful to my own task.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree that couple can do an excellent job in serving God, however, there might be the risk that one may concentrate more on the other's needs than God's.
There are equal risks with both. Especially when children are added to the mix.

However, when a couple serve the Lord together there is an advantage that the other can divert attention in turmoil back to the Lord where individually a person could be at a loss for longer.

Ecclesiastes 4:10

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Sure. But I guess my point is, what should we focus on? Introducing people to the love of God, or worrying about what they do in bed?
If you're going to introduce people to the love of God, you're also responsible for telling them what God despises, and offering them the best possible way to live their lives (which God has given us).

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That celibacy is preferable if one is in control of their passion.
If all could do that the Church would have been fewer in number and all the devout would have had no offspring.

So rather those who are set apart to be so should be.

Another point. In having a partner one learns how to love others when they are at there most difficult. They can learn how to co-operate. They can learn how to keep focus on the Lord through distraction etc.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.