Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I know there is a thread dealing with rape already in existence. But I think the feelings on that were that it turned into a debate thread. So why not have a thread where people who have experienced it or someone close to them have can come together and offer advice, support and encouragement in the areas you need help with. This is open to all members and not only christians. What are things you have done, or are doing, to help you deal with what you went through? How are you overcoming this experience? When you are having a bad day, what do you do to try and combat it?

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think a big part of the recovery process is telling your story. Since no one is responding in here.... I will start with mine. I wrote an essay about it about a year ago now. Granted it has a sort of Christian slant as thats part of who I am. I think if I were to rewrite it now it would be very different. Perhaps one day I will reflect on what has happened since then and write about it as well. Anyway here goes...

And Blue is Still My Favorite Color

The blue couch. The horrid blue couch. The horrid blue couch that I can never sit on again. It has been cleaned but it still smells. It will always smell. It didn’t help me. It held me captive. It just set there and let it happen.

God, were you just not watching me? Were you distracted? I don’t get it, why weren’t you there? Why didn’t you help me? Did you just sit back and watch me?

I couldn’t move. I could barely breathe. But you made me an optimistic person and I knew I was going to be ok. I had known him since high school. He was a good friend. He was an all-American type boy, high school football player, cute, polite. I used to have a crush on him. Now he has crushed me.

I’d had another fight with my boyfriend. He came over to console me. The year already sucked and it was only January 2nd.

It was dark and he was drunk. He sat disturbingly close to me. I should have been more guarded. I am too naïve and trusting. He tried to kiss me. He was terrible. He started taking off my shirt. I didn’t want him to. He wanted to have sex. I wouldn’t give in. I couldn’t move. I could barely breathe. I was pinned down. I couldn’t escape. I was home alone and he was tearing my clothes off. I was fighting for air to breathe, I couldn’t even yell for help.

Him. He. Monster. He used to be polite and nice. Now he was evil, a nightmare. All I could smell was him. Alcohol, body odor, smoke. The most vulgar, rank stench possible. Three months later and it is still all I can smell. I want to destroy my sense of smell, but that wouldn’t make it go away. I can’t ignore this forever. I have to keep going. Please, Lord, help me keep going.

He rips open the condom with his teeth. His clothes are completely off. I tell him I will not have sex with him. He flings the condom across the room.

I sigh with relief. It has to be over. I still can’t move. I look at the clock. It has been an hour. I have been fighting for air for an hour. But it isn’t over. It will never be over. It has only just begun.

Now he pins me so I cannot move my head. All I can see are the bright green numbers on the clock. He is naked. The blue couch is beneath me and he is above me. I am trapped. And I cannot find your hand to pull me out of this God.
I could stop breathing. That would end it. But you made me an optimistic person and I know I will survive. Another hour. I am still fighting for air.

He tried to keep going. I couldn’t move. I could barely breathe. But I had to do something. I had to get back my strength, my power, myself. Maybe you did help me, in a small and minute way. You at least gave me an idea.

I thrust a hand down between my legs, to that forbidden space. My only thoughts are that of air and survival. I hold on to him, to his tool of invasion. I feel dirty. Now it is my fault. But I know that holding on to him is the only way I can keep him from that final violation. The only way to keep him from being inside me. I feel sick.

2003, a year I can’t wait to forget. Him. He. Monster. A face I can’t wait to erase.

Oh God, you are supposed to be benevolent. I thought you were a loving God. Please help me. I know you can’t change what has happened, but please help me now.

I can still see the clock. It has been more than three hours and now my only hope is that this will end soon.

He finishes and leaves his deposit on my bare skin. He passes out. I am exhausted. I awake three hours later with him trying again. But this time I have the upper hand. I stop him. I drive him home. I refuse to be completely powerless. Why did you help me that time? Did you finally feel bad for what was going on? Did you finally decide to intervene for me too?

I return home and it reeks. His smell overwhelms me. The permeating scent of alcohol, smoke and his body odor. The smell of forced sex. I clean the apartment. It still smells of him, of it. I spray anything that could mask the smell. He is still lurking there. I light every candle, I can still smell him. I smell like him. My hands are covered in his stench. I wash them. He is still on my hands. I pour bleach on my hands. He will not go away. I take a shower. He hasn’t gone away. I can’t see him or feel him anymore, but I can still smell him. Oh God make him go away. Ten more showers. He will not go away. I smell like him. The couch smells like him. I cannot sit on that couch. I cannot say his name. I can’t even say what happened.

I cry. I cry uncontrollably. I am exhausted. I don’t know what to do. I cry myself to sleep.

Two hours later I wake up. I am still crying.

Oh God, what do I do? What did I do? How do I make this go away?

Mom. She lives ten minutes away. Mom always helps. She can kiss my knee, put on a band aid and make it stop bleeding. Only it isn’t my knee. And a band aid won’t fix it. Mom can’t fix this. Only you can fix this, if you are even there.

I can’t report him. I can’t admit this to myself. I can’t even say the word. How could I tell a stranger? How can I tell someone who will judge me and laugh at me? It is hard enough to tell you, and you supposedly know everything. Please, God, please. Tell me what to do. He ruined my life. I refuse to ruin his. He doesn’t understand why I tell him to never speak to me or why I tell him to never even think of me.
God, make me strong. Give me power; show me you don’t hate me. God where is your love? God, make this bad thing go away. Turn this into something good.

At night I have flashbacks. I am scared to sleep. I am afraid he will come back, that he will do it again. I have moved, changed my phone number. I got an alarm. I have a dog. I sleep with pepper spray. I have a stun gun in every room. I am scared of the dark. I am afraid to close my eyes. Sleep is not an option.

But I am still the optimistic person you made and I know I am ok. I am stronger. I will beat this. I still fight with you. Why? Did this have to happen? I hate you God. I am mad at you. I love you God.

You said in 1 Corinthians 13 what love is. You said that “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” God, please teach me how to fall in love with you again. Teach me how to love once more. How to love myself. Teach me to forgive and leave this behind me.

I know I am loved. You love me. My mom loves me. Maybe one day I will love me too. I feel that I don’t deserve to be loved anymore. I am still scared to care about people. But I have faith that you and I are going to turn this into something good. I don’t want to be weak. I don’t want to be powerless. I don’t want to live in fear. I am strong. I will be strong. You are strong. We will be strong.

I have survived. I am alive. And God, blue is still my favorite color.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
At night I have flashbacks. I am scared to sleep. I am afraid he will come back, that he will do it again. I have moved, changed my phone number. I got an alarm. I have a dog. I sleep with pepper spray. I have a stun gun in every room. I am scared of the dark. I am afraid to close my eyes. Sleep is not an option.

Hi there!

:wave:

The problem is that you have never had closure. If you don't find closure by confronting him, then you have to have closure with yourself and move on. If you are still having flashbacks, then you still need counseling... else the problem will continue to re-occcur throughout your life, never allowing you peace.

You can live in fear, or you can just live. Christ didn't just give you life, but He gave you life more abundant. Live it.

~serapha~

Upvote 0

Messenger30

Mar 30, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
✟15,304.00
Faith
Christian
BigToe said:
I think a big part of the recovery process is telling your story. Since no one is responding in here.... I will start with mine. I wrote an essay about it about a year ago now. Granted it has a sort of Christian slant as thats part of who I am. I think if I were to rewrite it now it would be very different. Perhaps one day I will reflect on what has happened since then and write about it as well. Anyway here goes...

And Blue is Still My Favorite Color

The blue couch. The horrid blue couch. The horrid blue couch that I can never sit on again. It has been cleaned but it still smells. It will always smell. It didn’t help me. It held me captive. It just set there and let it happen.

God, were you just not watching me? Were you distracted? I don’t get it, why weren’t you there? Why didn’t you help me? Did you just sit back and watch me?

I couldn’t move. I could barely breathe. But you made me an optimistic person and I knew I was going to be ok. I had known him since high school. He was a good friend. He was an all-American type boy, high school football player, cute, polite. I used to have a crush on him. Now he has crushed me.

I’d had another fight with my boyfriend. He came over to console me. The year already sucked and it was only January 2nd.

It was dark and he was drunk. He sat disturbingly close to me. I should have been more guarded. I am too naïve and trusting. He tried to kiss me. He was terrible. He started taking off my shirt. I didn’t want him to. He wanted to have sex. I wouldn’t give in. I couldn’t move. I could barely breathe. I was pinned down. I couldn’t escape. I was home alone and he was tearing my clothes off. I was fighting for air to breathe, I couldn’t even yell for help.

Him. He. Monster. He used to be polite and nice. Now he was evil, a nightmare. All I could smell was him. Alcohol, body odor, smoke. The most vulgar, rank stench possible. Three months later and it is still all I can smell. I want to destroy my sense of smell, but that wouldn’t make it go away. I can’t ignore this forever. I have to keep going. Please, Lord, help me keep going.

He rips open the condom with his teeth. His clothes are completely off. I tell him I will not have sex with him. He flings the condom across the room.

I sigh with relief. It has to be over. I still can’t move. I look at the clock. It has been an hour. I have been fighting for air for an hour. But it isn’t over. It will never be over. It has only just begun.

Now he pins me so I cannot move my head. All I can see are the bright green numbers on the clock. He is naked. The blue couch is beneath me and he is above me. I am trapped. And I cannot find your hand to pull me out of this God.
I could stop breathing. That would end it. But you made me an optimistic person and I know I will survive. Another hour. I am still fighting for air.

He tried to keep going. I couldn’t move. I could barely breathe. But I had to do something. I had to get back my strength, my power, myself. Maybe you did help me, in a small and minute way. You at least gave me an idea.

I thrust a hand down between my legs, to that forbidden space. My only thoughts are that of air and survival. I hold on to him, to his tool of invasion. I feel dirty. Now it is my fault. But I know that holding on to him is the only way I can keep him from that final violation. The only way to keep him from being inside me. I feel sick.

2003, a year I can’t wait to forget. Him. He. Monster. A face I can’t wait to erase.

Oh God, you are supposed to be benevolent. I thought you were a loving God. Please help me. I know you can’t change what has happened, but please help me now.

I can still see the clock. It has been more than three hours and now my only hope is that this will end soon.

He finishes and leaves his deposit on my bare skin. He passes out. I am exhausted. I awake three hours later with him trying again. But this time I have the upper hand. I stop him. I drive him home. I refuse to be completely powerless. Why did you help me that time? Did you finally feel bad for what was going on? Did you finally decide to intervene for me too?

I return home and it reeks. His smell overwhelms me. The permeating scent of alcohol, smoke and his body odor. The smell of forced sex. I clean the apartment. It still smells of him, of it. I spray anything that could mask the smell. He is still lurking there. I light every candle, I can still smell him. I smell like him. My hands are covered in his stench. I wash them. He is still on my hands. I pour bleach on my hands. He will not go away. I take a shower. He hasn’t gone away. I can’t see him or feel him anymore, but I can still smell him. Oh God make him go away. Ten more showers. He will not go away. I smell like him. The couch smells like him. I cannot sit on that couch. I cannot say his name. I can’t even say what happened.

I cry. I cry uncontrollably. I am exhausted. I don’t know what to do. I cry myself to sleep.

Two hours later I wake up. I am still crying.

Oh God, what do I do? What did I do? How do I make this go away?

Mom. She lives ten minutes away. Mom always helps. She can kiss my knee, put on a band aid and make it stop bleeding. Only it isn’t my knee. And a band aid won’t fix it. Mom can’t fix this. Only you can fix this, if you are even there.

I can’t report him. I can’t admit this to myself. I can’t even say the word. How could I tell a stranger? How can I tell someone who will judge me and laugh at me? It is hard enough to tell you, and you supposedly know everything. Please, God, please. Tell me what to do. He ruined my life. I refuse to ruin his. He doesn’t understand why I tell him to never speak to me or why I tell him to never even think of me.
God, make me strong. Give me power; show me you don’t hate me. God where is your love? God, make this bad thing go away. Turn this into something good.

But I am still the optimistic person you made and I know I am ok. I am stronger. I will beat this. I still fight with you. Why? Did this have to happen? I hate you God. I am mad at you. I love you God.

You said in 1 Corinthians 13 what love is. You said that “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” God, please teach me how to fall in love with you again. Teach me how to love once more. How to love myself. Teach me to forgive and leave this behind me.

I know I am loved. You love me. My mom loves me. Maybe one day I will love me too. I feel that I don’t deserve to be loved anymore. I am still scared to care about people. But I have faith that you and I are going to turn this into something good. I don’t want to be weak. I don’t want to be powerless. I don’t want to live in fear. I am strong. I will be strong. You are strong. We will be strong.

I have survived. I am alive. And God, blue is still my favorite color.

So beautifully written......you have done a good thing. I read and my eyes were filled with tears....but in the end you made me smile.....you are truely an inspiration! May God Bless you and stay beside you. You are truely amazing:)

Love and God Bless,
Cheri:)

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
BigToe said:
do any of you have a story to share? someone you know? am i sitting here talking to myself?
Just as in real life, it's probably going to take some time for those who have experienced rape to come out of the woodwork and talk about it. If you talk about it, they will come....

Upvote 0

fallentoa

Mar 31, 2004
derbyshire
✟159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, I know what your going through as I have been trying to get over the situation for the last few years. My uncle is now in prison and will be coming out in nov2004. He got away with the worst crimes and just went to prison for child abuse for 18 months. He has got away with the rapes because my family lied in court as they were still afraid of him. I used to be a christain until I really saw that there was nothing in it and I really tried to control my anger but it's still there. I used to deal with it with martial arts until church but I've now started to go too tai chi hoping that this will help. He has promised to see me when he gets out but not before I see him. I'm also having reiki sessions to try and open the emotions up as I have serious problems in that area. My love for martial arts has always been there as it used to be for the faith but ther martial arts won in the end. MY respect for martial arts is stronger than my love for christ at the moment, I'm sorry for any christian reading this but it's true. fallentoa

Reactions: BigToe
Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I don't think its strength on any level. I don't even think of it as happening to me. When I talk about it, I am very detached from it. My therapist would make me talk about it as if it happened to my sister in order to get an emotional response. I think its for a similar reason. I would rather deny it happened. I don't think the realness of it has really hit me. I don't even know what feelings I have

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devoted daughter

Mar 14, 2004
✟14,195.00
Faith
Christian
Hey Big Toe!
Thank you for sharing your story, and thanks to those of you who have been trusting enough to be vulnerable enough to recount stories of your own.
I was raped July 26 1990. My husband was over seas, and I was with a friend “killing time” before we were to leave for my “going away” party some other friends were throwing for me. I hadn’t seen my husband, Jason, in 6 months, and as this was Friday nite, I would be packing on Sat., and flying from Missouri to San Francisco Sunday to prepare for his arrival Wednesday. Plans changed quickly.
I ran into a lot of school friends, as this was summer break from school, including an ex- boyfriend, John, that I dated for 3 years in highschool, however, it had been 5 years since I’ last seen him. I told him of our plans, and invited him along with other friends I ran into, as I would be moving to the west coast with no immediate plans to return in the near future. John bought me a beer, my 3rd in 2 hours, and the last for the evening. I gave people directions to the party, the friend I came with/met left to pick up his girlfriend, and I left with the intention that John would follow me in his car. As we left, he told me in the parking lot that he needed to swing by his father’s house on the way. His father had had a stroke, and being that John was staying with him, he wanted to check in. No one seemed to be there when we arrived, so I thought the nurse was gone for the day and John’s father was sleeping. John went to another room, and just as I started to make a phone call to another friend, John stormed in and told me not to use the phone. I felt really weird about that. When he left again, I quickly called my friend with the intention of giving driving directions, but instead I got the machine. I quickly said that something weird was going on, and that I was at John C.’s if anything happened, and when I hung up I yelled to John that we needed to leave, and then I went to use the bathroom. In moments, John came into the bathroom. I said, “what do you think you’re doing?” and he said, “Well, it’s not like we haven’t known each other long enough!” I told him to ‘get out”, and as soon as I exited he spun me around, and the last thing I remember was hitting the floor, and my pants being unzipped. I just left in my head. It’s called passive resistance. The next thing I knew, I was driving home. I went to sleep on the couch, and woke up bruised and in pain. I immediately went to my mom who took me to the hospital. A counselor and police officer were near as the routine tests were being made. I knew my rapist, and his address, and while the officer said he’d go get him RIGHT THEN, I couldn’t make a decision without talking to my husband first. When I finally reached Jason, he he flew back from China. I contacted severel attorney friend’s, all of whom knew John, and I was advised that it would be a horrible case. John was VERY rich, I had dated him years before, I would be dragged through the mud. I believed it , and I still do. I would never advise someone who’s been raped NOT to prosecute, but I believed he would get out of it, and I was moving and wanted to get on with my life. However, we all do what we think is best. I also firmly believe that “what goes aroung, comes around. ”
It was hard on both my husband, and myself. I had incapcitating panic attacks, fear of the dark, depression…I was really sick. We were too young to handle it together. He would talk to his mom, and I didn’t have any friends where we moved. Jason didn’t want me to talk about it because it hurt HIM too much. I left him within 8 months, and we were later divorced. To me, that was THE most devestating part of it.
I later (within a year) found out that John had drugged my drink; his father was never at the house as he had DIED the year before I was there, the police sent a letter to me saying my clothes (evidence) would be destroyed if they weren’t picked up by a certain date, and that the police had sent that letter inadvertantly TO MY RAPIST’s address! John had also devloped a very serious cocaine problem.
I received extensive counseling and drug therapy after I left Jason, and went back on and off for the next few years. That’s MY story, but I know SO many more personally. My neice, my 2 sisters, a friend were all date raped. I have a friend who was molested. I worked as a crisis couselor, and I’ve heard many more and varied accounts, including stories from men.
Someone asked me once…”If God exsists, why does He let people starve in Africa?” Well, God doesn’t let people starve, WE do. We know it happens, what do we do about it? We have responsibilities, accountability, and lessons to learn from the events that happen to us and around us. What do we do? Dig a hole and dive in ? Turn to God, or turn away? Remain prayerful, and seek His help and support from others, or choose to remain amoung the “walking wounded”?
God gives talents to people here that can help heal us. He gave us free will to choose what we will do. I prayed, I asked Him for help, guidence, and forgiveness for myself, for my husband, AND for my rapist. Moreover, I took Him up on the healing people he sent my way for help, too.
:pray: You'll be in my prayers, as will everyone who faces this pain. :pray:

Reactions: Protoevangel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
twistedsketch said:
These assailants need to be reported and prosecuted. Period. If they get away with this, they could do it again, to you or someone else.

Unfortunately, only a very few victims can hope to successfully prosecute the perpetrators of these crimes. The crime itself is so personal and processed in such an emotional way, even a very logical individual has a hard time dealing with it factually enough to make the accusation stick. The victims story is shredded by the legal system, and then by the defense. Every attempt is made to actually blame the victim (which attitude actually encourages other abusers to feel there is a socially accepted excuse for their own perversion.) In the rare event that the perpetrator is actually charged, the punishment is usually trivial in comparison to the crime. In any case, it is rare that any simple solution can be applied to real life situations. The victim must make their own decision on the sacrifice (s)he is willing to make in order to realize such minimal justice

Upvote 0

devoted daughter

Mar 14, 2004
✟14,195.00
Faith
Christian
merryheart said:
Unfortunately, only a very few victims can hope to successfully prosecute the perpetrators of these crimes. The crime itself is so personal and processed in such an emotional way, even a very logical individual has a hard time dealing with it factually enough to make the accusation stick. The victims story is shredded by the legal system, and then by the defense. Every attempt is made to actually blame the victim (which attitude actually encourages other abusers to feel there is a socially accepted excuse for their own perversion.) In the rare event that the perpetrator is actually charged, the punishment is usually trivial in comparison to the crime. In any case, it is rare that any simple solution can be applied to real life situations. The victim must make their own decision on the sacrifice (s)he is willing to make in order to realize such minimal justice
Thank you merryheart. That was a part of my story above. :pray:

Upvote 0

devoted daughter

Mar 14, 2004
✟14,195.00
Faith
Christian
twistedsketch said:
These assailants need to be reported and prosecuted. Period. If they get away with this, they could do it again, to you or someone else.
I worried briefly about that, but I disagree in my situation. Like I said in my account, I would never advise someone not to prosecute, but it's an individual choice. I wouldn't be guilty or accountable for the actions of another. In my situation he felt a particular sense of "ownership" and entitlement with me alone. In my case, it wasn't like someone jumped out of the bushes, but for those who are assulted like that STILL are entitled to choose their path of recourse.

Upvote 0

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
I know this is pretty raw for many, but I'm just wondering [for those who'd like to answer]: do you (still) hate your attacker, or how much do you? How do you struggle with forgiveness vs moving on? Do you even want to forgive? How have your feelings towards him changed since the attack?

Do you If given the chance, would you want to kill him (literally, if you knew you could get away with it)? Do you think the death penalty would be justified? Someone mentioned driving her attacker home after; I guess if I were physically assaulted by anyone, driving my attacker home would literally be the last thing on my mind [calling the police would probably be near if not at the top; using a baseball bat would also be somewhere there].

How do you obtain closure after such a traumatic experience? Do you try to find a reason for the attack? Does closure mean accepting that sometimes things just happen, and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or do you try to get to know that person's past [from a distance] (eg. was he abused as a child, is he in a dsfunctional relationship] to find a way to comprehend or rationalise what happened? Or do you just want to get as far away from him as possible?

I don't know how I would react if something like that ever happened to me. I would probably want revenge in my own way.

Upvote 0
N

netal

I do have a story to share- but after reading this thread I need some time to regroup my thoughts, to process. There is some powerful stuff here!.... I did want to share a bit after reading these questions...

datan said:
I know this is pretty raw for many, but I'm just wondering [for those who'd like to answer]: do you (still) hate your attacker, or how much do you? How do you struggle with forgiveness vs moving on? Do you even want to forgive? How have your feelings towards him changed since the attack?

Do you If given the chance, would you want to kill him (literally, if you knew you could get away with it)? Do you think the death penalty would be justified? Someone mentioned driving her attacker home after; I guess if I were physically assaulted by anyone, driving my attacker home would literally be the last thing on my mind [calling the police would probably be near if not at the top; using a baseball bat would also be somewhere there].

How do you obtain closure after such a traumatic experience? Do you try to find a reason for the attack? Does closure mean accepting that sometimes things just happen, and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or do you try to get to know that person's past [from a distance] (eg. was he abused as a child, is he in a dsfunctional relationship] to find a way to comprehend or rationalise what happened? Or do you just want to get as far away from him as possible?
I was raped by someone I was dating. I think this is important, because it was even harder to know how to react. The first emotion was just 'did that just happen?' and confusion. The idea of hurting him was very far from my mind. Survival was all I cared about. I did not prosecute, for several reasons. I am glad I did not. If this had happened to me by a stranger- I would have. But, at the time I felt that I had made this happen- that it was my fault. Date rape was a foreign concept to me. It took me a long time to understand that I was not being punished, that I did not bring this on, that I was not guilty.

I no longer feel anger or hate towards the man. My anger did not last for too long. I do not wish he were dead, or that I could kill him (though my bf wishes he could, and so do other male family members!) ... My forgiveness was a gradual process. I am not even sure what made me stop hating him- but I know that one day I told myself that the hate was consuming me, I felt farther and farther from God... and he (the rapist) didn't deserve to take my relationship with God... or my life.... he took my virginity- but that was all I was going to let him have.

This happened almost 4 years ago now. It has taken me a long time to sort through- and I am not fully healed. The way I dealt at first was withdrawing from everything and everyone. After a lot of therapy- I can talk about what happened- but in a sense, it doesn't feel real. When I try to tell people about it, it is like it happened to someone else. But, the flashbacks remind me of just how real it was. Those have lessened with time- but there was a time where I couldn't sleep or be on my own.

My heart goes out to anyone who has to go through this sort of thing. I do not understand why it happens. I get so upset when I hear that it happens to others! One good thing did come of this- the compassion for other women I gained was enormous- I am very thankful for that!
:hug: to all :prayer:

Reactions: BigToe
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.