Sex...Does it ever become "meh"?

Winchester

Sep 18, 2014
✟15,298.00
I read in a magazine one time that most women don't understand that there are times a man doesn't want intimacy and a time-consuming consumation.

@ToBeBlessed

I am not sure if I understand your above statement correctly but I think I know what you are trying to say. Every man needs sometimes time and space only for himself without disruption by others like family, kids, wife or friends. I compare that to the need of a woman to talk about her worries with their best friend, not to find a solution in the first place but rather to channel her emotions so she can calm down again. We men aren't able to handle the same amount of emotions like women do on a regular basis. So we need time to put some daylight between oneself and all the things that trouble us. Otherwise we will feel overloaded and overrunned which can lead to aggression and even violence against our social environment. The best thing a woman can do to help her man, boyfriend or husband to get over this time is just to let him know that she really loves him, has trust in his decisions, that she respects him and never would try to make him look ridiculous in front of his friends, colleague and family and to give him the time he needs to calm down again. That's all a man need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you let it, sure. It's a part of the relationship, which means it takes effort and work to...ahem...make it work.

The upsides however, are many! No guilt. No such thing as "unwanted pregnancy". No worries.

Really, the only challenge is keeping it fresh, and that just takes a little imagination!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does tend to get that way after being married for some time and the "honeymoon phase" is no longer at work. Not for every couple but for a lot.

My husband and I make sure we dont get this way by simply taking time to connect. Keeps our romance alive which keeps everything else alive.
It's the context of a warm, affectionate marital relationship.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also - remembering the depth of frustration of being without it (pre-marriage) for so long; and how satisfying even "boring" sex is; can help keep it from going that way.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aside from what other said I think it can become "meh" if you don't try new things to keep the flame going. Although the um "moment of joy" never gets tiring really. It still feels good. Just doing the same thing over and over and over gets repetitive.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ParentofChildren

Wanderer
Nov 4, 2006
✟9,005.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm talking about the physical aspect of it. Does it ever seem like you put whatever amount of time into it just to give or receive a few moments of climax? Have you ever wondered if it's worth it any more?

Be honest, please. I don't expect people whose ages range from young to early 40's to say yes, but I may be surprised. Perhaps this question is geared more toward seasoned and mature people. I don't know.

It changes physiologically for men and women. It has never been meh for me. My wife has certainly had meh occasions; long day, very tired, cramping, etc... Physiologically our wives have to put more into it to become aroused. Women's sex drive, based on my experience, increases with age. Characteristics and aspects change related to biology, but the love, and sensuality should grow. As I have passed into 50+ my body is less responsive then a year or two ago. There will be changes but speaking for my self it remains one of Gods greatest gifts.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tom Sawyer

May 13, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟16,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm talking about the physical aspect of it. Does it ever seem like you put whatever amount of time into it just to give or receive a few moments of climax? Have you ever wondered if it's worth it any more?

Be honest, please. I don't expect people whose ages range from young to early 40's to say yes, but I may be surprised. Perhaps this question is geared more toward seasoned and mature people. I don't know.

I understand what you are saying. When I was younger I was more likely to fall into the feeling that intimacy was boring or routine. These days, and I'm in my 40s, I find it very exciting, and we enjoy intimacy regularly.

One reason why I don't fall into boredom, and I think this is true of others, is the fact that I've learned to appreciate the spiritual intimacy aspect of it. To truly KNOW the other person makes the physical closeness much more exciting. When you have been through life, including some great and some tragic things together, when you have grown in faith together, counseled others together, helped one another, stumbled and made mistakes together, and learned many details of the other's soul, it is hard to find the physical closeness boring. The key is real intimacy, which is of the soul and spirit. To KNOW whom you are truly touching. To know whom you are taking in your hands.

It may also be for some people, that they fall into boredom because they think they have to do it very often, and basically wear themselves out. You really don't have to, and should enjoy it mostly when you want to feel close. If it's nothing more than a physical routine, then maybe you need to find more meaningful things to do in the first place, and come back to physical intimacy later. Then it will be much better.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it very exciting
To truly KNOW the other person makes the physical closeness much more exciting.

agree

the longer we are married, the more attractive husband has become to me
now that we are parents, it's like falling in love with him again as see how patient he is and what a good father he is

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It all depends on you and your partner. I have personally found sex isn’t meh if you’re lucky enough to have found the one.

However, the thing that I did find really surprising (but I guess I shouldn’t have) is that sex is great, but there is a point where the most intimate moments you share have nothing at all to do with sex. It’s intimate, for sure, but nothing that comes close to what I’ve come to learn true marital intimacy is.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When it's done right, it's not "meh". But if you just want it quick and sloppy, then yeah. Meh.

I don't know...quick and sloppy can be interesting if you're usually slow and meticulous.

The real way to avoid "meh" is to be creative, be original, be spontaneous, be fun, and expect the best from each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
scheduled sex kinda works
cept it's never enough (4 me)

Scheduled sex is a very good idea; otherwise, sex tends to get pushed down to the bottom of the priority list, and may not happen.

But within each scheduled episode, the agenda can be spontaneous and responsive to each partners mood.

Upvote 0

PeachieKeen

Apr 24, 2017
Southwest
✟104,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am VERY newly married so I probably have no business weighing in, but I will give my admittantly naive opinion anyways.

I think sex is like getting to know your partner any other way. It's exciting and fun to learn about one another- likes and dislikes. What makes them happy and what makes them not feel as good. I think as long as you stay committed to building the relationship- sexually and otherwise- it wouldn't be meh.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am VERY newly married so I probably have no business weighing in, but I will give my admittantly naive opinion anyways.

I think sex is like getting to know your partner any other way. It's exciting and fun to learn about one another- likes and dislikes. What makes them happy and what makes them not feel as good. I think as long as you stay committed to building the relationship- sexually and otherwise- it wouldn't be meh.
Good answer.

Maybe we should discuss a corollary question to the OP on how or why sex can become "meh."

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Of course it can...

It depends upon the couple though...it can get easy to fall into routine and the safety of familiarity. You figure out what works best and start parsing out everything else thinking you've got it all figured out...and before long it's become somewhat stale.

I'm in my 30s now...but I've actually had that problem back in my 20s during long relationship. I've found, personally, that enthusiasm goes a long way...as well as honesty about what you want, and openness. If you cultivate that attitude early....then neither party is afraid to talk about their needs and desires.

• Agree
Upvote 0