Sex crimes, evangelism and the collective guilt of American intervention in Africa

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On August 29, the United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the 2015 conviction of Matthew Lane Durham, a 24-year old former missionary from Oklahoma convicted of sexually abusing Kenyan orphans.

Most onlookers applaud the Court’s decision, confident that a man found guilty of heinous crimes will remain in prison. A closer look at the case, however, suggests that not all who are culpable are behind bars. Americans have bought into and perpetuate a set of fictions about Africa, about aid, and about the inherent good of Western intervention.
Over centuries, these stereotypes produced a context in which a troubled young man with no discernible skills was convicted of abusing vulnerable children in Kenya.https://mg.co.za/article/2019-08-17...tive-guilt-of-american-intervention-in-africa

That article states that the short term missions to Africa by Americans can bring more harm than good. I like to emphasize that not all mission work is harmful, but this article is an example of a mission work from the West that is doing more harm than good.

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
On August 29, the United States Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the 2015 conviction of Matthew Lane Durham, a 24-year old former missionary from Oklahoma convicted of sexually abusing Kenyan orphans.

Most onlookers applaud the Court’s decision, confident that a man found guilty of heinous crimes will remain in prison. A closer look at the case, however, suggests that not all who are culpable are behind bars. Americans have bought into and perpetuate a set of fictions about Africa, about aid, and about the inherent good of Western intervention.
Over centuries, these stereotypes produced a context in which a troubled young man with no discernible skills was convicted of abusing vulnerable children in Kenya.Sex crimes, evangelism and the collective guilt of American intervention in Africa

That article states that the short term missions to Africa by Americans can bring more harm than good. I like to emphasize that not all mission work is harmful, but this article is an example of a mission work from the West that is doing more harm than good.
Pope66 thanks for the article. But I’m sure short time or long time the majority of those missionaries spread the good news of our Lord and help the poor and needy very much. I’m sure the good they do far outweighs the bad things committed by a few. I think America has been one of the most active nations in the world when it comes to the mission field. Take their few hundred yrs of missionary work out of the equation and I think the world would be a much sadder place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Over centuries, these stereotypes produced a context in which a troubled young man with no discernible skills was convicted of abusing vulnerable children in Kenya.https://mg.co.za/article/2019-08-17...tive-guilt-of-american-intervention-in-africa

I have never supported mission work.
If individuals are actually called by God, God will provide.
But not through me, yet.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have never supported mission work.
If individuals are actually called by God, God will provide.
But not through me, yet.

Most missionaries are woefully underfunded and wholly dependent on others for their sustenance. Some have no employment and subsist on donations.

I don’t agree with that. I think most would be better off saving more and developing usable skills that will generate income to support their work.

Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pope66 thanks for the article. But I’m sure short time or long time the majority of those missionaries spread the good news of our Lord and help the poor and needy very much. I’m sure the good they do far outweighs the bad things committed by a few. I think America has been one of the most active nations in the world when it comes to the mission field. Take their few hundred yrs of missionary work out of the equation and I think the world would be a much sadder place.

I am sure there are good Christian Mission organizations in development and protection of the innocent and vulnerable in society, however, there are more downsides to mission work as follows:

Why You Should Consider Canceling Your Short-Term Mission Trips
  • Africa has received $1 trillion in benevolent aid in the last 50 years, and per capita income is now lower, life expectancy has stagnated, and adult literacy is lower.
  • 85 percent of aid money flowing to African countries never reaches the targeted areas of need.
  • U.S. missions teams who rushed to Honduras to help rebuild homes destroyed by Hurricane Mitch spent on average $30,000 per home—homes locals could have built for $3,000 each.
  • The money spent by one campus ministry to cover the costs of their Central American missions trip to repaint an orphanage would have been enough to hire two local painters and two new full-time teachers and purchase new uniforms for every student in the school.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am sure there are good Christian Mission organizations in development and protection of the innocent and vulnerable in society, however, there are more downsides to mission work as follows:

Why You Should Consider Canceling Your Short-Term Mission Trips
  • Africa has received $1 trillion in benevolent aid in the last 50 years, and per capita income is now lower, life expectancy has stagnated, and adult literacy is lower.
  • 85 percent of aid money flowing to African countries never reaches the targeted areas of need.
  • U.S. missions teams who rushed to Honduras to help rebuild homes destroyed by Hurricane Mitch spent on average $30,000 per home—homes locals could have built for $3,000 each.
  • The money spent by one campus ministry to cover the costs of their Central American missions trip to repaint an orphanage would have been enough to hire two local painters and two new full-time teachers and purchase new uniforms for every student in the school.
Key word there seems to be “short term”. I suspect that long term missions, built up in the country, which have developed and sustained a working relationship with the local people, are better able to identify needs, assist the population in prioritizing them, and help to meet them in ways that are most beneficial to the local populace.

Upvote 0

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Pope you say that often the materials, medicines and money often doesn’t reach the designated areas where they are so needed, Thats sadly true. It’s a problem that both Christian and secular charities do have. And that is when they become too big and powerful for their own good than they are a charity in name only. When really all they have become is a money making business instead. As to the cost of housing you mentioned I’m sure there are cases of that. Although with what I have seen of Christian builders they are generally very efficient with what they build when called apon, be that churches , housing or planning . I not know of any home you could build for 3000 dollar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pope66
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most missionaries are woefully underfunded and wholly dependent on others for their sustenance. Some have no employment and subsist on donations.

That's a clue that God is not interested.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t agree with that. I think most would be better off saving more and developing usable skills that will generate income to support their work.

Or develop skills for the community so the community could support their mission.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I know an exact example of a lady that moved to a disadvantaged local community.
I wanted to confront her and ask how many people she has employed. I thought I'd wait and perhaps do that in private.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know an exact example of a lady that moved to a disadvantaged local community.
I wanted to confront her and ask how many people she has employed. I thought I'd wait and perhaps do that in private.

I adhere to the principles articulated in Deuteronomy 28. I don’t believe a vocation automatically means we should depend on others to pay our way.

I’m funding five years of study overseas. I don’t expect anyone to donate a penny. I utilized the skills the Lord gave me and built a business.

Raising support often lessens industry and makes the recipient beholden. This inevitably creates problems when unexpected events diminish their commitments.

For me, godly stewardship and purpose are well-aligned. I don’t have the liberty of undertaking things I can’t afford and expecting others to carry the weight. That’s financially irresponsible and places a strain on all parties.

Upvote 0

Pope66

Dec 5, 2018
Sydney
✟33,699.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I adhere to the principles articulated in Deuteronomy 28. I don’t believe a vocation automatically means we should depend on others to pay our way.

I’m funding five years of study overseas. I don’t expect anyone to donate a penny. I utilized the skills the Lord gave me and built a business.

Raising support often lessens industry and makes the recipient beholden. This inevitably creates problems when unexpected events diminish their commitments.

For me, godly stewardship and purpose are well-aligned. I don’t have the liberty of undertaking things I can’t afford and expecting others to carry the weight. That’s financially irresponsible and places a strain on all parties.
Very good point.
Pope you say that often the materials, medicines and money often doesn’t reach the designated areas where they are so needed, Thats sadly true. It’s a problem that both Christian and secular charities do have. And that is when they become too big and powerful for their own good than they are a charity in name only. When really all they have become a money making business instead. As to the cost of housing you mentioned I’m sure there are cases of that. Although with what I have seen of Christian builders they are generally very efficient with what they build when called apon, be that churches , housing or planning . I not know of any home you could build for 3000 dollar.

The main problem is the fly in drop stuff fly out missions. It creates a welfare state mentality of the people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very good point.

The main problem is the fly in drop stuff fly out missions. It creates a welfare state mentality of the people.

I don't care if they move there. God will provide all the cash ahead of time if it's His plan. I don't believe in spending money then begging for support to pay your bills coming due.

• Agree
Reactions: Kate30
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't care if they move there. God will provide all the cash ahead of time if it's His plan. I don't believe in spending money then begging for support to pay your bills coming due.

The Holy Spirit gave me a ten-year business plan in my quiet time. He specified what I should focus on and bring to market for each stage. And He covered larger investments and told me when to do them.

He revealed the impact of my industry on my finances and heightened my sense of fairness and desire to employ American workers for digital and physical work. Basing operations overseas is not an option for me.

I’ve been given a charitable focus and burden. He’s revealed how my work could benefit those He’s laid on my heart. I feel a deep commitment to support the men and women who are doing their best in America but bearing the biggest weight. My mission is our middle class. Their plight troubles my Spirit. That’s His doing.

I don’t believe in making people dependent. Providing the tools for growth is far better than perpetual handouts. Its not sustainable and adds little to their person.

I’m not a beggar. I’m a servant. I have skills worthy of compensation and ought to use them. I shouldn’t expect a free ride because I’m a believer or create an organization expecting the same.

Both should have profit-making strategies as their primary sources of income. Donations shouldn’t be the bulk of their budget. Trimming the bloat and realigning their perspective with God’s would eradicate the deficits.

You cannot pursue a holy work illegitimately and expect a harvest. The 30-60-100 fold blessing are for those who follow His precepts.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This has been in the news recently. Long term involvement isn't necessarily good either.

An American Missionary Has Been Accused of Posing as Doctor, Resulting in the Deaths of African Children

Bach has been in Uganda on and off over the last decade, working for Serving His Children, a nonprofit she founded when she was 18 years old, which treated young kids suffering from malnutrition. But a lawsuit brought by two Ugandan parents said that Bach represented herself as a doctor, even though she only has a high school diploma. Given the lack of proper records, estimates on how many children may have died due to Serving His Children’s alleged treatments is difficult, but according to All Africa, complainants estimates that it could be over 100.

Upvote 0