Sex and the Vatican

Auntie said:
ANYONE who loves Christ is the enemy of the world.

Auntie, with all due respect, Christians are among the least persecuted in the Western world.

In America alone, political campaigns can be won and lost based on how adamantly one professes Christian faith - those that profess to be Christian taking the lead.

Christian persecution? C'mon! That is so bogus today, it's not funny.

Upvote 0

27D4

Jul 12, 2003
California
Visit site
✟500.00
Faith
Protestant
Wolseley said:
You'll notice that this list dates mostly from the early 90's; there have been further cases since then.

So: to recap----this is not a Catholic problem, nor is it a Protestant problem. It is a human problem. the media would have you believe this is restricted to Catholic clergy alone. T'ain't so.

No doubt this is not just a Catholic problem. All of must be wary of the evil in our midst. One interesting thing is that most of these articles show the offenders being arrested, charged, convicted...

Upvote 0

Luchnia

Jul 19, 2003
✟1,127.00
Yes, it is a broad issue, but I cannot help to think why the Catholics make light of this. If a pedephile is caught on the street, he is prosecuted. Somehow the Catholic that molest seem to have "separate" rights. Makes you think, doesn't it? Yet, if you speak to a Catholic on the issue, they say, "Well, it isn't just catholics."

What makes the pedephile priest any better than the pedephile scum walking the streets today that they should get treated any differently?

Word up!

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Auntie said:
Thanks Wols. I never thought this was a Catholic ~or~ Protestant problem. It is a Catholic ~and~ Protestant problem.
I agree.
I'm not really sure what your intent is, but I get the feeling you want to hurt or embarrass me, like some sort of retaliation.
No. I never try to hurt or embarrass anyone. I merely wished to point out that many people tend to react violently to reports of Catholic abuse which they see trumpeted in the media, and never utter so much as a peep concerning abuse by anyone else, which makes it appear as if the Catholics are the only ones they care about calling on the carpet. If such was not your intent, then I acknowledge so, and apologize for my perception in your case.
Or maybe you are making an attempt at "fair and balanced" reporting, I'm really not sure what your thoughts are.
See above. It is no secret that the media hates religion, and they despise Christianity----but they utterly loathe, abhor, and detest Catholicism with a violent hatred bordering on the pathological, which is why they save their biggest guns for us.
I think I can assume that everything you posted about the guilty Protestants was reported by the media?
The media source which each report came from is posted at the end of each report.
Perhaps you consider the Protestant offenders to be a Protestant problem belonging to the Protestant flock. Sorry, I just don't see it that way.
Neither do I. I only wish to point out that sexual misconduct is not solely a "Catholic" problem, and if outrage is to be expended, then it needs to be expended on the problem, not the denomination.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lunachick said:
27D4 said:
One interesting thing is that most of these articles show the offenders being arrested, charged, convicted...

Just thought I'd repeat 27D4's post again, out loud.
And part of the reason is that the Protestant cases are usually current, whereas the in the cases of the priests, many of them go back decades, and the offenders are now deceased or the evidence is degraded or non-existant due to the passage of time. Witnesses die, churches are torn down, people end up in nursing homes with Alzheimer's and are no longer coherent.

You can convict and jail an offender who committed a crime last month, a year ago, or even ten years ago----but it's pretty hard to convict a priest who committed an offense in 1960 and who died in 1983.

Upvote 0

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wolseley said:
You can convict and jail an offender who committed a crime last month, a year ago, or even ten years ago----but it's pretty hard to convict a priest who committed an offense in 1960 and who died in 1983.

I'd have to agree with that, but you'd think with the way the legal system is today we'd find a way, maybe the ACLU could fight for his right to stand trail even though he is living imparied. ;)

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Inspired,

before I became more interested in religious studies, I didn't know there was a distinction between Catholics and Christians, and still don't understand the distinction, but at any rate those who are non-believers have just found one more reason why not to believe.

There is no distinction between Catholicism and Christianity. Catholicism IS Christianity.

In Christ,
Carly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Carly said:
Inspired,

There is no distinction between Catholicism and Christianity. Catholicism IS Christianity.

In Christ,
Carly

While I agree, I can tell you I know of plenty of people on this site alone that would disagree.

Upvote 0