USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
SIGH....

Okay, so the document says that in the event that a priest does something so heinous as to make a sexual advance in the Sacrament of Confession, the penitent is to report him immediately. So far, I fail to see the problem.

The penitent is not bound by the seal of the confessional, the priest is, for the protection of the penitent.

Sorry, but this is just same-old same-old anti-Catholic nativism. :(

Do not wonder, brethren, that the world hates you.
1 John 3:13

In Christ,
Carly

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
revolutio said:
Only if I can think of a good punch line.

Actually you are right I am trying to desensitize people to these things. When people are desensitized to something they stop making emotionally driven decisions and instead rely on their logic.

"... trying to desensitize...". Is that sort of like children being de-sensitized to violence and misogyny in the media (hollywood, video games, gangsta rap, etc.)? That just happens to be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard....... lately. What we need is more outrage!! We need more emotion!! We need not all become sheep.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Michael0701 said:
"... trying to desensitize...". Is that sort of like children being de-sensitized to violence and misogyny in the media (hollywood, video games, gangsta rap, etc.)? That just happens to be one of the most ridiculous things I have heard....... lately. What we need is more outrage!! We need more emotion!! We need not all become sheep.

Exactly!

Upvote 0
Michael0701 said:
Those things and more happen in real life, all the time. So, people should know about real life, and the "bad" things out there.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
sweetkitty said:
So your goal is to desensitize people to children being sexually abused..wtg. I'm sure such an attitude is a tremendous help to children.
I would appreciate if you would try to respect and understand my opinions or atleast not insult them.

Children are another matter, I am refering to self aware adults. Children are too impressionable as it is. II don't teach children things that are matters of my own opinion.

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
The other side of the story:

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=24023

The Vatican document deals exclusively with solicitation: an offense which, by definition, occurs within the context of the Sacrament of Penance. And since that sacrament is protected by a shroud of absolute secrecy, the procedures for dealing with this ecclesiastical crime also invoke secrecy.

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
The document on which CBS based its distorted story is a densely worded 24-page document, couched in the technical idiom of canon law, and accompanied by a 36-page Appendix that provides the formulas to be used in an ecclesiastical trial. No careful reader could fail to recognize that this was a specialized document, providing a set of procedures for a particular ecclesiastical offense. Why, then, did CBS News draw a broad general conclusion from a tightly focused legal document? Why did the network fail to distinguish between the ecclesiastical crime of solicitation and the public offense of pedophilia? The questions are worth pondering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Carly said:
SIGH....

The penitent is not bound by the seal of the confessional, the priest is, for the protection of the penitent.

Yes, and that "protection" is exactly what protects the penitent priest who has confessed his crime.

In the rest of society, a counselor is REQUIRED BY LAW to report a crime involving the sexual abuse of minors.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
revolutio said:
I would appreciate if you would try to respect and understand my opinions or atleast not insult them.

Children are another matter, I am refering to self aware adults. Children are too impressionable as it is. II don't teach children things that are matters of my own opinion.

I meant that if your goal is to desensitize people to the very real horrors of CSA then you are in effect harming the children that are victims of CSA

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Truncate said:
Those things and more happen in real life, all the time. So, people should know about real life, and the "bad" things out there.

In all sincerity, I don't know what you mean by your post.

Are you trying to say it's ok to entertain children with a video game about stealing cars and picking up hookers because in real life people steal cars and rent hookers? There is a wide grand canyon-like chasm of difference between being exposed to reality and all the evils in it and being bombarded with it over and over again until IT becomes the norm.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
sweetkitty said:
I meant that if your goal is to desensitize people to the very real horrors of CSA then you are in effect harming the children that are victims of CSA
If desensitization always = bad then you are right.

However if people can logically come up with a reason why CSA is wrong and have enough of a brain to act on it, then I think the children are even better off. Though emotionally driven actions are usually stronger they are also dumber. Just because something is the most emotionally stirring at that time, doesn't mean it is the most important. Acting with a head clear and unclouded by rage/piousness/hatred/fear is almost always more beneficial than the alternative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And now, as a follow-up, you may want to read this news release from the Catholic League:

http://www.catholicleague.org/03pre.../030807_cbs.htm

August 7, 2003

CBS GUILTY OF UNFAIRLY MALIGNING VATICAN

On the CBS Evening News of August 6, it was reported that the Vatican issued a document in 1962 that “lays out a church policy that calls for absolute secrecy when it comes to sexual abuse by priests—anyone who speaks out could be thrown out of the church.” Immediately, Larry Drivon, a lawyer who represents those allegedly victimized by priests, charged that the Catholic Church was engaged in “Mafia-style behavior—racketeering.” He added that the Vatican document is “an instruction manual on how to deceive and how to protect pedophiles.

Catholic League president William Donohue replied as follows:
“This is an issue fraught with deception all right—but it’s not the Vatican that’s guilty—it’s CBS. By ripping the document out of context, CBS led viewers to believe that the Vatican was engaged in a sexual abuse cover-up as early as 1962. Here’s what it didn’t say in its report.
“First, the document did not apply to sexual misconduct—it applied only to sexual solicitation. Second, the only venue the document addressed was the confessional. In other words, it was meant to deal only with cases of sexual solicitation by a priest of a penitent in the confessional. Third, because the policy was specifically aimed at protecting the secrecy of the confessional, it called for an ecclesiastical response: civil authorities were not to be notified because it involved a sacrament of the Catholic Church, not a crime of the state. Fourth, if a priest were found guilty, he could be thrown out of the priesthood. Fifth, if the penitent were to tell someone what happened (perhaps another priest), he or she had 30 days to report the incident to the bishop or face excommunication. If anything, this proves how utterly serious the Vatican was about such an offense—it threatened to punish the penitent for not turning in the guilty priest. Sixth, the 1962 document was superseded by the 1983 Code of Canon Law and the norms established in 2001 for dealing with serious crimes involving the sacraments.
“For CBS to leave all this out shows how hungry it is to malign the Catholic Church. If anyone is acting like the Mafia, it’s CBS.”

Exactly as I said before---all first reports are inaccurate. But, being CBS, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Auntie said:
Your statement is infuriating. The Catholic church should have an attitude of sorrow for the sins committed against the innocent. The church is NOT the victim here, so save your martyr card for another day.:mad:

How dare you use the Holy Scriptures as your defense! If the world hates you, it is because of all the horrible crimes being committed within the church!! Don't try to defend evil!!
Auntie, must I drag up that old thread about the sexual crimes committed by non-Catholic clergy yet again? If you may recall, it goes on for pages. Pages and pages of pedophilia, sexual abuse, coercion, extortion, homosexual behavior, forced prostitution, and rape, none of it committed by Catholic clergy.

Where is your outrage for that?

Or is it simply because the Catholic Church is a big fat target, and easier to hit? Or that the media's distortions are easier to believe, making the Catholic Church the only sexual predator in the religious arena?

How about the sexual abuse committed against innocents by teachers, psychologists, foster parents, and the like? No outrage against them?

Why all the vitriol for the Catholic Church only? The sexual offenses committed by non-Catholics outnumber Catholic offenses ten-to-one.

You want to be fair, don't you?

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Auntie said:
If the world hates you, it is because of all the horrible crimes being committed within the church!! Don't try to defend evil!!

Auntie, I can tell you that as a Catholic and more importantly a Catholic parent these crimes are every bit as horrific to us as they are to you. Actually, probably more so. Your hatred will do us no good at a time like this, but your prayers would help immensely.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Miss Shelby said:
Auntie, I can tell you that as a Catholic and more importantly a Catholic parent these crimes are every bit as horrific to us as they are to you.

Absolutely, they are horrific to ALL Christians! Do you think I don't realize that YOU are a victim too?? The world has a way of classifying ALL Christians under the Catholic umbrella, so the outrage is against ALL Christians. And the world is RIGHT to be upset, God help us all if they weren't upset!! The LEAST we must do is VALIDATE their outrage. To do otherwise implies APPROVAL of the offenses!

Miss Shelby said:
Your hatred will do us no good at a time like this, but your prayers would help immensely.

Michelle

No, Michelle, I have no hate for you, or anyone. And it surprises me that you even think such a thing. But I REFUSE to not be outraged at the harm done, and the fact that much of it could have been stopped YEARS ago.

And just for the record, I would be EQUALLY as outraged if the Baptist Church had committed the same offenses! Do you think I would "stand by my church" if they had committed such vile acts? God forbid! And if the media was having a field day with the Baptist church, my reaction would be: "Well???? Do we expect the media to keep quiet about it?"

I SUPPORT and LOVE the Catholic PEOPLE, but I am miffed at those in power, those who KNEW this mess was going on, and didn't lift a finger to stop it. And I am not the only one, there are MANY Catholics who are angry at the Catholic hierarchy.

If the world hates us, it should be because of CHRIST, and NOT because of the sins of His children!! The early church was hated and despised and martyred, but NOT because the Bishops were committing vile acts!:mad:

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Auntie said:
Your statement is infuriating. The Catholic church should have an attitude of sorrow for the sins committed against the innocent. The church is NOT the victim here, so save your martyr card for another day.:mad:

How dare you use the Holy Scriptures as your defense! If the world hates you, it is because of all the horrible crimes being committed within the church!! Don't try to defend evil!!
Auntie,

Here is what you said to Carly. From my point of few, she was merely pointing out that it might be wise not to fall for the spin the secular media is putting on this. What I am gathering from your posts, is that you are. Did you read the article that Wolseley posted? Did you read his post?

The Catholic Church, members and all, does have an attitude of sorrow and outrage committed against innocent children. But what CBS reported was tainted and spun, and you bought right into it. If you want to be outraged about ALL children in this country who are abused and traumatized, do it. Find a way to funnell that outrage into something productive because arguing about it on an internet messageboard is as about as useful as spitting into the wind. AND you did not have to reply to Carly the way that you did.

And the reason that I said is that your hatred is not what we need, is because YOU SAID--if the world hates you it is because of the crimes committed within your church. And then you added a :mad: --Making me think that you agreed.

Michelle

Upvote 0