Sex and the Vatican

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/08/06/eveningnews/main566978.shtml
For decades, priests in this country abused children in parish after parish while their superiors covered it all up. Now it turns out the orders for this cover up were written in Rome at the highest levels of the Vatican.

CBS News Correspondent Vince Gonzales has uncovered a church document kept secret for 40 years.

The confidential Vatican document, obtained by CBS News, lays out a church policy that calls for absolute secrecy when it comes to sexual abuse by priests - anyone who speaks out could be thrown out of the church.

The policy was written in 1962 by Cardinal Alfredo Ottaviani.

The document, once "stored in the secret archives" of the Vatican, focuses on crimes initiated as part of the confessional relationship and what it calls the "worst crime": sexual assault committed by a priest" or "attempted by him with youths of either sex or with brute animals."

Bishops are instructed to pursue these cases "in the most secretive way...restrained by a perpetual silence...and everyone {including the alleged victim) ...is to observe the strictest secret, which is commonly regarded as a secret of the Holy Office...under the penalty of excommunication."

Larry Drivon, a lawyer who represents alleged victims, said, “This document is significant because it's a blueprint for deception.”

Drivon said the document proves what he has alleged on behalf of victims in priest-abuse lawsuits: that the church engaged in Mafia-style behavior -- racketeering.

“It's an instruction manual on how to deceive and how to protect pedophiles,” Drivon said. "And exactly how to avoid the truth coming out."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Lola

Jul 28, 2003
Visit site
✟303.00
Sad. :( I'm not Catholic, but I truly feel for their religion right now.

I was talking with a Lutheran pastor the other day, and he was telling me that when he goes to the hospital for visits he takes his collar off. He said that people act uncomfortable around him when he's wearing it.

This whole thing is just sad.

Upvote 0
Auntie said:
Well, lunachick, you have to admit, the Vatican is now paying for it. This disaster should lead to some new rules at the Vatican to prevent this sort of thing from ever happening again.

We live, we make mistakes, we learn, we do better next time.:)
Even if the vatican is "paying for it," that means nothing to the multitudes that have been harmed by the priests and other people of authority within the catholic church.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Truncate said:
Even if the vatican is "paying for it," that means nothing to the multitudes that have been harmed by the priests and other people of authority within the catholic church.

Of course it does. Validation of the truth is the first step in the healing process. If I were a victim, I think I would be relieved to know the truth is being told.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will reserve judgement until I can read the said document in the original. Since it's out of the archives now, surely it will be available for everyone to peruse, no?

Secondly, since the report came from the Can't Report Straightforwardly (CBS) network, I also reserve judgement until the report can be verified by legitimate sources. CBS has never been known to be terribly accurate in reporting on anything pertaining to the Catholic Church.

Thirdly, if it turns out that the document is extant and accurate, what were the conditions surrounding its composition? Written in 1962 by a cardinal in the Holy Office (which no longer exists---its functions are now part of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith), I sincerely doubt that this document was specifically written for the current scandal in the United States. More likely it was composed for a totally different situation in a completely different country.

Always remember, folks: all first reports are inaccurate.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lunachick said:
LOL! Nope, nothing so benign, I'm afraid.

Wolsley - here is the document. It's a pdf file and takes a bit of downloading, but there it is.

Really sad that people can find anything amusing about this subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
sweetkitty said:
Really sad that people can find anything amusing about this subject.
One of the problems in the world today is that people refuse to find humour in certain topics. This leads to stressed seriousness and generally more volatile situations.

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
revolutio said:
One of the problems in the world today is that people refuse to find humour in certain topics. This leads to stressed seriousness and generally more volatile situations.

There is NOTHING amusing or humorous about CSA (child sex abuse)
When you make fun of things like this you are attempting to desensitize people to it. Do you also make jokes about women being raped?

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
revolutio said:
Only if I can think of a good punch line.

Actually you are right I am trying to desensitize people to these things. When people are desensitized to something they stop making emotionally driven decisions and instead rely on their logic.

So your goal is to desensitize people to children being sexually abused..wtg. I'm sure such an attitude is a tremendous help to children.

Upvote 0